S02.E12: I Hope You Dance 2017.08.25

Season finale time already! Boooo. It's been renewed for a third season, though!

Wynonna is running out of time, and is desperate to defeat The Widows before her fate is sealed.

Share Post

Ooooh, Mama Earp has entered the building.

I'm all in for season 3!

Share Post

What was that folder Officer Haught had with all the photos at the end, my TV's image was very blurry.

Share Post

It was all about the Cult of Bulshar and had photos of lots of people lying dead. Not great!

A lot of stuff in this episode made no sense to me (such as Peacemaker glowing blue again and Waverly being able to shoot, but not kill, Rosita), but I'm glad the baby was not a demon and that it got out safely. I figured Mama Earp would be showing up at some point; I'm interested to see who they get to play her!

Entertainment Weekly postmortem.

TV Junkies interview with Emily Andras.

TV Junkies interview with Melanie Scrofano.

Share Post

That was a great season finale, I thought. The right amount of action and emotions. Wynonna and Doc are still the endgame couple for me, especially now that they have a daughter together,

Share Post

I never thought Bobo was Waverly's father. I don't understand why Wynonna thought that either. When she went through her spirit vision, she was the cause of Bob's fixation on Waverly. So Wynonna has heard the name Bulshar before and what does her mother have to do with it. He's been in the ground for over 100 years long before mama Earp was born. Why was she so sure and how does she know so much? My theory Waverly isn't adopted. Why would any family adopt when  they in such a precarious position as targets for demons. Ward probably isn't the father but mama Earp may still be mother which solidifies Waves and Wynonna's blood sisterhood. Also what if mama Earp is a distance Earp cousin who's still of the bloodline. It could explain some of the widows comments.

Share Post

As usual I was utterly confused by the end of the episode. Reading the postmortem helped to clear things up a bit but I'm not a fan of shows who force me to read interviews and reviews to lift the mist of so many plot points. At least now I know that Dolls and Nicole are in cahoots together because the way they glared at each other during that last scene I was thinking that Officer Hought had figured out some dark secrets about him and wanted to take him out and he knew that she knew. And that made no sense.

Did Dolls go full Targaryen on the Order? What a waste of Brendan Fehr. And Jeremy's special because of his accident? And Doc has been to hell? Sure why not. All great twists for season 3 but for the love of God fix the sound editing! As for Waverley: If she's not half-revenant maybe all that Angel talk by Bobo needs to be taken more literally - although it was inspired by Wynonna. Bobo also calls Waverley 'pure' in a way that's probably relevant to her blood-line. Enter this show's version of Castiel *cough*

Mad props to Melanie Scrofano for playing that heart-wrenching scene four days before giving birth!

As for Mama Earp: you need someone bad-ass with fantastic hair - my vote goes to Mary McDonnell (alas, she's probably too expensive plus she's already got a regular gig).

Edited by MissLucas.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

At least now I know thats for Waverley: If she's not half-revenant maybe all that Angel talk by Bobo needs to be taken more literally - although it was inspired by Wynonna. Bobo also calls Waverley 'pure' in a way that's probably relevant to her blood-line. Enter this show's version of Castiel *cough*

I didn't even think about Waverly being part-Angel. The kin part would also make sense if you go by some demons being fallen angels.

Share Post

13 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

All great twists for season 3 but for the love of God fix the sound editing

This is why I never watch the show without closed-captioning. This has long been a complaint of mine ever since I watched the pilot and couldn't understand most of the dialogue (and especially when Doc is talking) and it just ruined my enjoyment of the episodes. Thank God for subtitles. (This applies to all SyFy shows that I watch: Killjoys and The Expanse. Someone over at SyFy needs to fix their sound editing/mixing for all their shows because it's a serious problem.)

Loved this finale, probably the show's best episode this season. Definitely a lot of great storylines for next season (it's going to be a long wait). Kind of heartbreaking to see Wynonna and Doc part with the baby just to keep her safe. Very sweet that Wynonna named the baby after her mother and Doc's own mother. The twist with Mama Earp being alive? Did not see that coming. Should be interesting to see who they get to play her.

I was disappointed to see Rosita betray (I use that term loosely) the Earps by threatening to take Wynonna's baby, but at the same time, I sympathize where she's coming from because Wynonna did threaten her a few episodes ago that she was eventually going to kill her. In any case, I would like for Rosita to come back next season because I enjoy her and the relationships she has formed with the rest of the gang.

As for Waverly's parentage, I think she shares the same father as Wynonna, but he had an affair with another woman and got pregnant with Waverly. She dies at childbirth and he took her in and Mama Earp was kind enough to accept the baby as her own. That's my headcanon.

I love WayHaught, but hearing that portmanteau uttered on the show was a bit much.

Share Post

3 hours ago, unicorn23 said:

As for Waverly's parentage, I think she shares the same father as Wynonna, but he had an affair with another woman and got pregnant with Waverly. She dies at childbirth and he took her in and Mama Earp was kind enough to accept the baby as her own. That's my headcanon.

Huh--my headcanon is the other way around;  I always just figured that Mama Earp had an affair and Waverly was the result.  For me, it explained why Dad Earp pretty much ignored Waverly, and gave Child Willa a motive for disliking Waverly--to Willa, Waverly was the reason the parents' relationship deteriorated.

I do think the show's solution for the baby was a good one.  Team Earp slinging around Alice while killing demons and other hijinks just would not be easily workable, and that would put someone constantly on baby duty.  Sending her off to live an anonymous life with Gus was a reasonable way to resolve that plotline.

So Dolls and Nicole are conspiring?  That sailed right over my head.  Do we have any clue about what?

Edited by Mari.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Mari said:

I do think the show's solution for the baby was a good one. 

I agree but I'm very sad Jeremy never got to meet her. He was so excited about babysitting. 

When Bobo mentioned Waverly being 'kin', I started wondering if one of her parents was distantly related to Robert Svane. 

Did Dolls go full Targaryen on the Order? What a waste ...

If this is the end of the Order, I really resent the screen time they took up this season. I'm pretty sure their presence wasn't necessary and their actions could have been covered in other ways. I don't really need to see more of them though so I'd be ok if we could all forget their existence.

Share Post

7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

As usual I was utterly confused by the end of the episode. Reading the postmortem helped to clear things up a bit but I'm not a fan of shows who force me to read interviews and reviews to lift the mist of so many plot points.

Yeah. I think that Emily Andras is an intelligent woman who does a great job managing her cast and crew (it's clear that everyone who works on the show loves it) and who writes amazing, strong characters and fun dialogue. My one big issue with her is that she tries to lean way too far toward showing and not telling. That's an admirable goal -- exposition almost always sounds bad, no matter how well you try to write it -- but when your show's not making sense without your Word of God clarifications after the fact, it's a problem.

Lost Girl (where she was a consulting, then executive producer) was much, much worse for this than Wynonna Earp is; I actually had to stop watching Lost Girl in season five because I literally could not understand what was happening in some of the episodes, and I'm not a clueless or inattentive TV viewer by any means.

Share Post

I thought that witch caused a landslide that trapped her sister, her husband and Bobo underground. Yet in the next scene her sister and Bobo are free. Did I just imagine that is what happened? Is her husband running around as well?

Share Post

9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought that witch caused a landslide that trapped her sister, her husband and Bobo underground. Yet in the next scene her sister and Bobo are free. Did I just imagine that is what happened? Is her husband running around as well?

She did trap them but I guess the magic wasn't strong enough to keep them there. The husband is loose.

Share Post

First of all, I love the title of the episode, I found it very appropriate. Its not only a song about the hopes of a parent/family member for their young child, its also rather wistful, as Wynonna and Doc will probably never actually get to know their daughter, and can probably only guess what she will be like, and hope she will have a happier life than they did. I think this was a good way to deal with the baby, even if its a sad way. At least the baby survived and is (seemingly) a normal human, and will presumably have a good life. It was nice to bring back Wynonna's old friend who made it big, I thought that was clever. The show really couldn't sustain a baby, at least without fundamentally changing the nature of the show, so I think this is the best choice for the show. Its sad for the characters though. Jeremy was so ready to babysit!

Speaking of, I was super confused by that comment that Jeremy made about how he was in a car accident, and that's how he got recruited into Black Badge. The EW interview mentioned it, so it wasn't just me who caught something, but what that about? Did he end up getting psychic powers? We know he's really good with tech and can do some minor magic spells, but does he have full on super powers? Now I want to watch his scenes again and see if I notice him knowing things he shouldn't or couldn't know, or if there's anything else weird about him. Is this show set in the Marvel Universe*? I guess we will explore that next season.

22 hours ago, Cranberry said:

My one big issue with her is that she tries to lean way too far toward showing and not telling.

I totally agree, and its probably the biggest flaw of the show now. The other issues I had (some clunky dialogue, flat characters) in the first season have all been fixed (mostly), but this is still an issue. I'm fine with not drowning in exposition, but we need to know what's going on. I was mystified as to why Haught and Dolls sent each other a weird look, I honestly thought I had missed a scene where they had a fight or something at first. There is so much mythology and the characters have so many mysteries behind them, that some actual explanations would be very helpful.

Damn it Rosita, I was rooting for you! I can understand why she did what she did (she felt betrayed by Wynonna and felt that she would eventually kill her) but that was still an awful thing to do. I do hope she can come back and have a shot at some redemption, I've liked having her around. Although, I'm pretty sure her and Doc are all kinds of over. Trying to steal your boyfriends baby and sell it to demons might possibly be a deal breaker.

I still really love Doc and Dolls and their weird friendship, and how amused they seemed to be by the fact that they killed each other and than came back. "We have GOT to talk about your Adele obsession, man." Although, that does make the love triangle with Wynonna even more of a pain to deal with in the future. They both deeply care for Wynonna (love her?) and she deeply cares about both of them (loves in some way?), and they both try to pretend they aren't basically best friends, but they know they totally are, so who knows where this goes next?

This season went by way too fast, I'm already ready for the next season! Looks like some big stuff is coming, and I cant wait. This was a really good season, I'm excited to see where we go from here.

*I would actually love it if this show somehow took place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, because that means we can have a possible meeting between Wynonna and her spiritual sister from the other side of the country, Jessica Jones! They would be the BEST snarky drinking buddies!

Share Post

I really loved this finale and I honestly don't have much to add. I just had to ask, did the show ever give an explanation for why Bobo was the only Revenant to come back after Wynonna died? As far as we know no one else is back right? 

Share Post

On 8/26/2017 at 2:53 PM, Cranberry said:

Lost Girl (where she was a consulting, then executive producer) was much, much worse for this than Wynonna Earp is; I actually had to stop watching Lost Girl in season five because I literally could not understand what was happening in some of the episodes, and I'm not a clueless or inattentive TV viewer by any means.

"Lost Girl" lost some of its allure with me when Bo broke up with Lauren and then Tamsin tried to take her place in Bo's bed. However, "Lost Girl" pissed me off when Kenzie left. I loved their relationship but I also understood that the actress who played Kenzie (Ksenia Solo), moved on to "Orphan Black" and it wasn't the show's fault that Kenzie left the show. Things DID convoluted towards the end, when her father finally made his appearance.

As far as "Wynonna  Earp", this show has its moments and some things work, while others don't. I liked the resolution of the fate of Alice Michelle (no last name??) and I, as a viewer, actually felt her loss, right along with Wynonna and Doc's sadness. While I was a Wynonna/Dolls shipper, I will admit that Wynonna/Doc make a good team. Doc may be miserable without his immortality ring, but I get the feeling that he would give up the ring in a heartbeat, if it meant that his daughter and Wynonna would be safe.

Some things were less clear in this episode. When Bobo flung the boulder at Wynonna and Waverley, how the "hells" did they end up in some pasture? Dolls drove Doc's car while Doc used some shortcut and ran to Wynonna when Waverley used their code name for the delivery? The Order killed Wynonna's doctor? Why? Just because she knew of the existence of the new Heir? WTF?? The Order is useless and I don't understand why they were even written in. Brendan Fehr's role was just a total waste.

I was totally disgusted when Rosita turned traitor and unlike unicorn23, I cannot forgive her for that. She claimed she was collateral damage and an innocent, when she became a Revenant, but she sure showed a Revenant's heart when she vowed to take the innocent baby and barter for her freedom. Someone mentioned Peacemaker had turned blue before, but I don't remember that occurrence.

Dolls and Nicole's secret mission was odd, but I think Wynonna trusted them to be able to transport the baby to Aunt Gus without Waverley's sole help. Waves may have been too emotionally weak to let the baby go, not to mention that she had to leave the Ghost River Triangle and there was a fair chance that she couldn't cross that boundary. I am confused about Aunt Gus. I thought she fell out with Wynonna.

Lot of cussing going on in the episode and every bit was funny. Wynonna sure likes to use variations of Vagina a lot and "Shit Strumpet" will be added to my lexicon. I'm glad the show was renewed and we get to meet the Earp's mother.

Now, I'll go on ahead and read the various articles and perhaps I'll learn what Emily Andras was REALLY trying to convey by this finale.

Share Post

She actually said "fucking" in this episode! Apparently Melanie had been wanting to do that for a while. I didn't know they were allowed to say that on Space or SyFy.

tumblr_ovamob059E1wyk6tho1_500.gif

tumblr_ovamob059E1wyk6tho2_500.gif

Gifset from Earpsource.

Peacemaker turned blue when Wynonna shot Willa.

Share Post

8 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Peacemaker turned blue when Wynonna shot Willa.

I wonder what the blue glow signifies? A mercy kill? Willa was sent back to Hell, I think, but Rosita just got winged. Perhaps it's a question of intent, or perhaps it was a shot made by a surrogate and not the heir herself.  Question: Didn't Doc say he went to Hell when he died again? Why Hell and not Heaven? What evil has Doc done besides kill bad guys? Is killing just plain bad in this interpretation? Is this Emily Andras' belief that ALL killing is bad, regardless if it's an eye-for-an-eye? Is this a stand against the Death Penalty or am I just reading too much into it? The Order killed the doctor under the guise of being "good guys" or perhaps the "Greater Good". Why do they consider themselves the good guys when they kill people just like the bad guys?

Share Post

Maybe Doc went to hell because he failed to come to help Wyatt Earp when he was asked? And I think the Order is no longer in existence - Dolls going all Dracarys on them. It's probably for the better because it never really felt organic to this world - I mean where the hell have this guys been during season one?

Share Post

18 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Maybe Doc went to hell because he failed to come to help Wyatt Earp when he was asked? And I think the Order is no longer in existence - Dolls going all Dracarys on them

Welll, that's a poor reason to be sent to Hell, IMO. 😳 I don't think it's been established yet that the Order is dead. Dolls killed a couple of guys but I don't think the whole crew died at Doll's hands.

Share Post

Well, from a theological POV this world sucks anyway. Look at Robert Svane - tried to help Wyatt Earp, got shot by Peacemaker and was hit with the Earp curse, sent to hell and was resurrected a revenant.

Share Post