Jump to content

S05.E07: HGN's Got Talent 2017.08.22

Quote

The celebrity players are Mel B, Darius Rucker, Sherri Shepherd, David Feherty, Derek Hough and Andy Richter.

 

0

Share Post


Link to post

I knew if I closed my eyes and just listened.  I did think his "pet peeve" thing was funny.  Why do they put door handles in the inside of bathrooms? 

I thought tonight's episode was fun (hated do do do do, though).  The teams were very close up until the last round.  At first I thought it was going to be another situation where one category (school items) was going to be so much easier than another category (was it horror film things?) but they both were kind of hard.  In fact, it's possible horror movie might have been a little easier because some of the items were more face whereas I think the school items focused on hands. 

And I really liked that Darius sang twice.  He sounded like he sounds on the radio which was refreshing.

Too bad the guy didn't win at the end.  There were some celebs I wasn't sure how he figured out and I thought he was good.  And then there were others he just missed.  I certainly hope this is the last we'll get of Shari Sheppard being picked for the final round.  Andy Richter was pretty good although I do love the moment where he got Donald Glove confused with Danny Glove and Shari was like "no no no."  She did well to save it by mentioning another person whose first name is Donald.  But they ended up wasting too much time.

Edited by Irlandesa.
0

Share Post


Link to post

That opening "Oddition" game -- another Jane vanity project ® -- was painful to watch, but almost worth it just to see the frozen-smile-grimaces on the celebs' faces.

The female civilian kept passing during the penultimate game (while Mel B concentrated on making snarky remarks), because that's totally a way to win, question mark? Of course, in the final round male civilian didn't pass enough.

Way to call Rihanna a whore, show.

And it drives me crazy how the captions during the celeb interviews are totally off-center. 

chyron.jpg

Edited by Corgi-ears.
0

Share Post


Link to post
Quote

That opening "Oddition" game -- another Jane vanity project ® -- was painful to watch, but almost worth it just to see the frozen-smile-grimaces on the celebs' faces.

Agreed. I get why they do it. Jane herself is probably considered a big draw for the show. She's not just a Chuck Woolery or a Pat Sajak, she's a well-known comic actress. On the other hand, this is a game show, and a game show should never be all about the host. 

How Do You Doo was really lopsided because one team had two professional singers, and that's a really hard game to play unless someone can really sing on-key.

In "What's in a Name" I can't believe they got away with saying a sound Rob Lowe makes when you blow him. I mean . . . c'mon.

I really like Lend Me A Hand and while I'm still not crazy about Get In My Pants it was a little tougher this time than the first time they played it.

0

Share Post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I knew if I closed my eyes and just listened.  I did think his "pet peeve" thing was funny.  Why do they put door handles in the inside of bathrooms? 

I FF'd thru these celebrity bits, but maybe I should go back and watch. I'm not sure what the pet peeve was, but I hate touching the door handle inside a public restroom. I'll take a paper towel (if available) to open it.

 

Quote

In fact, it's possible horror movie might have been a little easier because some of the items were more face whereas I think the school items focused on hands.

That's a good observation. I thought the horror movie one was much easier, and you nailed why that is. Of course Derek and Sherri were fantastic together. He made great facial expressions, and she was perfect with her hands. I think Andy did fine, but Darius isn't an actor, so he had trouble being expressive and miming.

I don't like Jane's Odd-itions. It takes too long. However, the moment she said "census taker," I knew it was Silence of the Lambs.

I like How Do You Doo-Et. I think I would "doo" pretty well at it, but I'm sure that most people think the song they're doo-dooing is obvious to the listener. BTW, I didn't like that Sara was miming during her turns, like pointing to her smile for "Happy" and to shoes for "These Boots..."

I was surprised at how many times they missed catching the ball in Get In My Pants. People didn't know Dr Evil stuff or that Dr Seuss's first name is Theodore (Dreisel). Oh, and it sure sounded like Jane said "M&M's" rather than "Eminem." On the other side, David Feherty didn't know much.

0

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Oh, and it sure sounded like Jane said "M&M's" rather than "Eminem."

I could not for the life of me figure out what Dr. Dre had to do with M&Ms, but just chalked it up to me being old and out of touch.  I never connected Eminem with that clue!  Thanks for clarifying, Peeayebee!

0

Share Post


Link to post

How Do You Doo-Et needs to lose the Et and just make it a single person trying to do the do do do's. Two up there means they keep stumbling over each other. And I thought during Get In My Pants on one team, the wrong person caught the ball, and flipped it out of their pants into the person's who had the right answer. Jane said they got it wrong (which they did, wrong person caught the ball) they countered with "No we got it right" (cause the flipped it) Jane was like "Oh...?" and then you heard the ding for a correct answer. Really seemed like cheating to me.

1

Share Post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And I thought during Get In My Pants on one team, the wrong person caught the ball, and flipped it out of their pants into the person's who had the right answer. Jane said they got it wrong (which they did, wrong person caught the ball) they countered with "No we got it right" (cause the flipped it) Jane was like "Oh...?" and then you heard the ding for a correct answer. Really seemed like cheating to me.

I'd have to rewatch but I think I was okay with it because it came before Jane said whether or not the answer was correct, right? It popped into the wrong pair of pants but didn't settle until it was in the right pair of pants.  And had it popped into the right pair of pants but popped out to the ground, they wouldn't have received the point. The game is getting the ball to settle into the right pair of pants.  No point is given if that doesn't happen, even if they know the answer. So  I see it as fair game as long as the ball is in movement and isn't physically picked up with hands.

In fact, I found Faherty later "helping" others to be a clever and new way to play that particular game.

Edited by Irlandesa.
2

Share Post


Link to post

Did anyone catch "John with a big penis" to get Katie Holmes?  (John Holmes was a porn star from the 80s? And I think it worked.  LOL

Edited by jhlipton.
1

Share Post


Link to post
18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought that was cheating, too. It was Feherty who flipped it in.

 

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd have to rewatch but I think I was okay with it because it came before Jane said whether or not the answer was correct, right? It popped into the wrong pair of pants but didn't settle until it was in the right pair of pants.  And had it popped into the right pair of pants but popped out to the ground, they wouldn't have received the point. The game is getting the ball to settle into the right pair of pants.  No point is given if that doesn't happen, even if they know the answer. So  I see it as fair game as long as the ball is in movement and isn't physically picked up with hands.

I thought it happened twice. Feherty did a tip off of his hoolahoop edge, like a volleyball player would tip it up. But the one I am talking about is Darius catching the ball in the pants, and then popping it out into the other players pants. Jane saw Darius catch it, said wrong and looked down to read the next clue, during this is when Darius did the deed and exclaimed "no we got that right", which is why Jane was all "Oh..." I mean they can't catch it on a bounce so moving it from one persons pants to another just seemed to be on that level of "nope".

I would watch it again to verify my memory, but honestly it was a boring episode, I already deleted it off the DVR and don't want to On Demand it and have to deal with the commercials.

1

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I would watch it again to verify my memory, but honestly it was a boring episode, I already deleted it off the DVR and don't want to On Demand it and have to deal with the commercials.

Ha.  Before I posted, I considered going back to rewatch the game but even though I enjoyed the ep, I didn't do so for the same reasons.  Maybe I'll make myself up for it later.

2

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now