S06.E12: The French Connection 2017.08.10

Fredrik's launch in Paris is going according to plan until an ambitious broker tries to stake his claim with the developer. Ryan heeds his seller's advice and contemplates a risky new career move and Luis makes an emotional revelation concerning his life in Paris.

Share Post

Well, I thought that was pretty good, until they ruined a perfectly delicious cake and threw it all over themselves and the floor.  I'm serious about cake.   ;)

I really like seeing all of the guys getting along so well.  It sure beats the drama they had with each other in the past.  I did think it was a dick move by Steve to schedule lunch with Fredrik's Broker.  I understand that it's the nature of the business, but I was disappointed that Steve would do that to Fredrick.  I'm glad that he changed his mind and now they can be friends again.    Sad to see another season of this show end though.  

Share Post

This season went by so fast!

I was glad to see Luis say he's miserable.  I feel the same way about Paris, it's picturesque, but not easy to start out in. From instagram it looks like he's been traveling quite abit instead.  I think the producers must really want him back if they were willing to take the cast and production there for the finale.

Frederick seems to have good balance in his life but I did think it was funny he brought his pastor to Paris.  Congrats hopefully on the babies.

Ryan and Emilia aren't ready for kids so it makes sense to work now so they don't have to later. 1.2 billion in business? Wow!

Steve seems cool, I hope he sticks with the show.  It'll be interesting to see him grow in his career and life.

Share Post

Awwww I am so happy for Fredirek and his frickin gorgeous husband.   It was really nice to see all of the realtors together and the concern for Luis appeared very genuine.   

Mom really happy to hear that Fredirek and Derek's surrogate is already six months along.   Those two are in for a major life change.

Edited by AttackTurtle.

Share Post

Unsurprisingly Luis hates Paris. I'm hoping that he's just been subletting some apartment for 2 months. I really think he might be bipolar.

2 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Well, I thought that was pretty good, until they ruined a perfectly delicious cake and threw it all over themselves and the floor.  I'm serious about cake.   ;)

I really like seeing all of the guys getting along so well.  It sure beats the drama they had with each other in the past.  I did think it was a dick move by Steve to schedule lunch with Fredrik's Broker.  I understand that it's the nature of the business, but I was disappointed that Steve would do that to Fredrick.  I'm glad that he changed his mind and now they can be friends again.    Sad to see another season of this show end though.  

I hated the cake throwing. I've told every guy I've ever dated even semi-seriously that if we get married and he tries that cake throwing or shoving cake in my face at the wedding, we're getting divorced.

Maybe it was a little bit dickish to schedule a lunch with Fredrik's developer, but the developer has a bunch of projects. Is Fredrik the right broker for every project? No. The worst part about the lunch is that it was occurring while they were still in Paris. That was a little gauche, but meeting with developers is how this business works. Who knows how Fredrik even met this guy in the first place. Maybe it was exactly like what happened with Steve in this episode. 

26 minutes ago, Box305 said:

Oh my God, Luis's apartment.... I want to move into it. 

Loved it. 

Share Post

1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

Unsurprisingly Luis hates Paris. I'm hoping that he's just been subletting some apartment for 2 months. I really think he might be bipolar.

I'm Bipolar and I really hope he's not because I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Share Post

Just now, Box305 said:

I'm Bipolar and I really hope he's not because I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Nor would I. He just seems to cycle through highs and lows pretty quickly. He also never seems to have any mood in between. He's obsessed with being happy happy happy and is often really impulsive. When Fredrik and Ryan sat down with him before he left, they alluded to him making some impulsive decisions in order to be "happy." There was something about how they reacted that was a little worrying.

Share Post

I hope Luis gets professional help to figure out what he's always running away from.

Share Post

I always liked Luis even through I fretted over him most of the time. But if he has moved back to NY I don't want him on the show again.

Goldy is mature and likable. Even when he was arguing with Fredrik, he wasn't shouting, crying, throwing wine, pushing him into a pool, etc. When he called Fredrik a whiner, he (deliberately?) didn't say bitch or pussy or even baby. And later apologized because a possible business deal wasn't worth ruining a friendship over. It's not what I'm used to seeing on this show and am very grateful.

Good for Ryan for expanding in all ways. So he wants to own a nationwide company like Coldwell Banker or Re/Max -- doesn't that mean he needs to leave Nest Builders at some point?

Nice finale. I hope hope hope everything goes smoothly with the pregnancy this time. Fredrik's birthday is April 26 so the due date is probably October-ish. Dang, Fredrik is going to buy so many baby outfits!

I'm ready for L.A. now.

Edited by 2727.

Share Post

Twins, wow...Congrats Freddy and Derrik! 

Dear god, when Goldie walked in to the dinner party my heart stopped. Such a gorgeous man, even with that stupid bun.  I love his demeanor and the way he handles himself.  Fred was right, that was a table full of gorgeous people. Even Fred's brother and his wife are great looking. 

I wonder what Luis' definition of happiness is. If he's expecting to be happy, happy, happy every moment of every day, 24/7 non stop then he has a very long road ahead of him. He really needs therapy to sort this out. 

I admire Ryan's ambition. He really is a Type A personality. His energy is boundless. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I hope Luis gets professional help to figure out what he's always running away from.

I was thinking the same thing.  Seems he and Ryan both had similar soul-searching experiences.  Louis ran to Paris.  Ryan ran to his therapist and wife.  I think Louis would do well to visit a therapist to work it all out.

What a great group on MDLNY, though.   I find it interesting that the cast on RHNYC (current cast anyway) and MDLNY all get along so well.  I have loved everyone and everything about both shows this season.  It goes to show that these pseudo reality shows don't need to be brawls to be entertaining (note to all other RH franchises!)

Gold is one of the best additions of all Bravo shows.  I loved Louis but was worried for him when he left.  It just didn't make sense.  I'd like to see him back somewhere in the Bravo universe.  I liked Ryan's idea of having Louis sell for him out of France :)  Although I think Louis is better suited to somewhere in the states.  

Edited by Jextella.

Share Post

6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Beyond that, *someone's* got to clean up that mess. And I don't care that he spent a gazillion dollars for that party, it's not cool to make some poor guy/gal clean it up.

I also wonder how this "team" stuff works in real restate. Such as Steve expanding his team, starting with the two guys whose names I can't remember. What do they get, a desk and a chance to list something or have a buyer when the phone call comes to Steve? And Steve presumably gets a cut of every commission? But how does Steve have a big enough office already? Or maybe offices/desks aren't much of a thing these days. And Ryan needing to convince someone at the new company to come with him? So that guy might walk and find a new company, or start on his own? Seems that's always something of a danger. 

Edited by dleighg.

Share Post

I loved this season. I loved that they're not assholes to eachother anymore. it was... heart warming and seemed organic. Way to go, guys <3

Share Post

6 hours ago, Jextella said:

Gold is one of the best additions of all Bravo shows.

Absolutely agree.  I was skeptical at first thinking he was just eye candy but I grew to really like him over the season and appreciate him for what he adds to the show (in addition to being eye candy!)

Share Post

10 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Frederick seems to have good balance in his life but I did think it was funny he brought his pastor to Paris.  

I heard Fredrick say to the Pastor something like "you were already in Paris, right?"  To which she said, yes.

9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

No. The worst part about the lunch is that it was occurring while they were still in Paris. That was a little gauche, but meeting with developers is how this business works.

I feel the same way.  The Paris trip was basically all about Fredrik and the launch of his building, so I think it was in bad taste for Steve to talk to the developer under those circumstances.  IMO, Steve did the right thing by backing off.

4 hours ago, dleighg said:

Beyond that, *someone's* got to clean up that mess. And I don't care that he spent a gazillion dollars for that party, it's not cool to make some poor guy/gal clean it up.

I was thinking the same thing.  That buttercream frosting is going to be a bitch to clean up!

4 hours ago, dleighg said:

I also wonder how this "team" stuff works in real restate.

In my younger days, I worked as a receptionist for a Board of Realtor's office (the main place where all of the real estate offices answer to.)  It is my understanding that the Broker is the one who owns the company, then there were the Realtors, and then the Realtor-Associates.  There was a chain of command there.  I don't know how much money the broker got from each sale, but he/she does.  The Realtor and Realtor-Associates then got their cut of it.  It wasn't unusual for Realtors to change offices occasionally, or for them to get their Broker's license and open up their own company.  It is a risk, but everybody I knew seemed to be successful.  Some specialized in commercial real estate, while others focused on residential.   There was plenty of business for all of them. 

I was so glad to see Steve dressed appropriately for Fredrik's party.  That shows a lot of respect.  They all looked so handsome!  I liked that Steve was joking around with Luis too.  Maybe they were already friends.  All 4 guys really seemed to be enjoying the moment.

Edited by ChitChat.

Share Post

I'm happy for Fredrik and Derek.  However, they already are dads as Derek has a son.  I felt badly for that kid, kinda? 

Share Post

I was seriously drooling over Luis' apartment.  How gorgeous is that place?  I am sad that Paris wasn't the answer for him.  Like Fredrik and Ryan, I thought he should have planned on going to Paris and staying for a few weeks, to test the waters. 

I think a good therapist/counselor would benefit him greatly.  Our society has such a focus on finding your happy, being happy all the time when it really should be about being content.  Nobody is going to be "on" and happy, happy 24/7 but you find what brings you happiness and what fulfills you.  I hope that Luis finds that. 

I wonder if Ryan, once he has his brokerage business, will bring Luis on board?  I wouldn't mind scenes here and there with him.

Still LOVE Steve.  He's been a great addition to the cast.  And yes - - he was STUNNING when he walked into Fredrik's party.  I'm glad too that he did not step on Fredrik's toes with the developer.  I'm sure the developer has a few agents he works with but it seems that Fredrik has an issue with someone he considers a friend sharing a developer or actively soliciting business. 

I liked seeing the old don't-fuck-with-me Ryan, even though it is kinda assholery for a seller to get full ask and then demand more.  I also like seeing the "smaller" apartments as it's more in line with what I would have.  Not in NY, mind you - - but the $20 million penthouses are completely out of range for most people.  Still like viewing those as well but I wouldn't mind it if more of the "smaller" apartments were featured. 

I am happy for Fredrik and Derek.  They really are an amazing couple and will be fantastic parents.  Lucky babies. 

I'm sorry there isn't a reunion for this show. 

Share Post

Watching Luis, as he was trying hard to stifle himself emotionally, I almost kept waiting for him to say "I feel so lonely here."  He didn't talk about all the wonderful people he'd met or how many new friends he made.  I was just so SAD for him.

He should come back and run a Puerto Rico office for Ryan.

Share Post

I wonder if Ryan, once he has his brokerage business, will bring Luis on board?  I wouldn't mind scenes here and there with him.

I wondered if this is what it's all leading to.  I hope Luis can find what he's looking for.

2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I liked seeing the old don't-fuck-with-me Ryan, even though it is kinda assholery for a seller to get full ask and then demand more.

I would've been pissed had I been the buyer.  It's not like there was a bidding war for the place.  Theirs was the only offer.   I'm not sure how you can suddenly ask for more since it was listed for a certain amount.  I understand how you can get into a bidding war, but this wasn't the case.   Last year, we were in the middle of selling one home, moving to another city and buying another home.  Things got complicated (actually, Murphy's Law was in full force), and we had to ask for several extensions on the house we were buying.  The seller decided to ask for more earnest money, but since we were the only ones who put in a serious offer in the past year, we knew we were in the driver's seat.  However, we were ready to walk away from it too - which is what my husband told the Realtor.  Basically, my hubby said F.U. to the seller & his Realtor for wanting more earnest money (they should've negotiated that better in the beginning), and we would walk away and he would keep the money we had put down.  The seller & his Realtor backed down.  It all worked out in the end.  Like Ryan, some days you just need to tell people not to eff with you!  Ryan so enjoyed that moment!  Then, I think he felt a little bad for yelling at the other broker!  The old Ryan would never have apologized.  The new, sensitive Ryan said he was sorry with a gleam in his eye! 

Share Post

This show fakes a lot of things but Frederick blubbering about Steve's lunch was real.  As was Steve's reaction.  Maybe the producers ambushed Frederick with that scenario.

The baby reveal, if that was really the first time Frederick was learning about it, is real or Frederick is a great actor.  But between getting Derek to France and then them setting up the shot on that bridge, at near sunset, it's hard to imagine Frederick wouldn't know.  Would Derek withhold the news until they were ready to shoot that scene?  I find that hard to believe.

And then they shot a lot of scenes with backdrops, like in front of the Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe and maybe a famous cafe.  OK, did they have clearance and permits for all those spots?  Tourists can shoot all they want but if there's a hint of a commercial operation, the city would NOT let them shoot without the permits.

As for Luis, he couldn't find a purpose, by which he means something like real estate that makes money?  Obviously that drives the other guys.  If he has enough money that he doesn't have to work for awhile (or maybe ever) then working for more isn't going to make him happy either.  Like he'd said, he can't see selling real estate for the rest of his adult life.

The Ryan stunt with asking for more money has to be faked.  No way he can get away with calling the other guy "motherf*er" and then telling him to get the buyer to come up with more money.  Or does he really have that much clout that threatening never to do business with him made the other guy grovel?  For all we know, the asking price was always $2.4 or 2.5 million but they said $2.25 million for the show and then we have this little scene of him triumphing by being an asshole.

OK, so Lenny Kravitz being the interior designer is suppose to be such a big deal?  That Frederick got $5000 a square foot for those apartments and they showed the graphic that properties in the area had fetched only $2500 a square foot?  A lot of rich star fuckers?

Share Post

8 hours ago, scrb said:

No way he can get away with calling the other guy "motherf*er" and then telling him to get the buyer to come up with more money.  Or does he really have that much clout that threatening never to do business with him made the other guy grovel?  

Ryan told the other broker that he made a mistake in pricing it.  As per my previous post, if I had been the buyer, I would've said F.U. to that.  I've seen other shows in which people get into bidding wars which drives the price up, so I can understand that, but since this wasn't the case, I would've walked away from it had I been the buyer.   Always be prepared to walk away from a potential purchase, that way you're not disappointed if it doesn't work out.  

I'm always amazed at the number of clients these guys are able to pull from their Rolodexes.   It's like an endless list that they call on for potential sales.  How does one know so many people?  

Share Post

The biggest WTF moment for me was Fredrik (a) getting 1000+ RSVPs for presales on a NY building in Paris, then (b) deciding that was too many and disinviting almost all of them. He's not a stupid businessman and wouldn't risk alienating all those agents he strung along and lied to. I blow a raspberry at that entire fiction.

Also ridiculous was that Ryan thought shouting, cursing, and hanging up on an agent who brought him a full price offer was somehow commendable behavior. If any of that actually happened, the buyers are idiots. Also stupid was the idea that Ryan needed to rediscover his bliss by selling smaller apartments -- it's the exact same time requirement, stress and struggle for him with a tenth of the commission. Bah.

Edited by 2727.

Share Post

Ryan boasts about expanding always in all ways at the start of every episode.

So now he had this epiphany that to get out of the doldrums, he has to increase the size of the "Serhant Team?"

Hasn't he been doing this already, the way he boasts about Miami and LA?

What a boring guy, all work.  

Nice that he consulted Emilia.  There must not be a prenup if he has to consult her on his business decisions.  Of course the truth is, that convo was just for show -- he probably does what he wants.

Share Post

On 8/10/2017 at 11:48 PM, bichonblitz said:

Twins, wow...Congrats Freddy and Derrik! 

Dear god, when Goldie walked in to the dinner party my heart stopped. Such a gorgeous man, even with that stupid bun.  I love his demeanor and the way he handles himself.  Fred was right, that was a table full of gorgeous people. Even Fred's brother and his wife are great looking. 

I wonder what Luis' definition of happiness is. If he's expecting to be happy, happy, happy every moment of every day, 24/7 non stop then he has a very long road ahead of him. He really needs therapy to sort this out. 

I admire Ryan's ambition. He really is a Type A personality. His energy is boundless. 

You & me both!!!  He's so damn appealing, I hope he comes back next year ... I can't see enough of him!!!

Share Post

On 8/12/2017 at 0:30 AM, HunterHunted said:

Derek donated his sperm to his lesbian friends who live in London. I don't know how frequently they visit with Derek's son.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3669141/Million-Dollar-Listing-s-Fredrik-Eklund-gets-emotional-husband-Derek-s-son-following-miscarriage-heartbreak.html

Oh.  Ok.  I didn't know that.  The son (and Fredric's disconnect from him) was a storyline a few seasons back.  

Share Post

20 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I do wish he'd forego the man bun though.  I really don't like them, but hey, it's not my head of hair!  Random thoughts: Ryan did make one faux pas when he jokingly said they were all going to put their keys in a basket and see who they all go home with.  You could see Fredrik kind of grimacing as he felt embarrassed for his pastor and her spouse who were sitting right there.  Ryan caught his ill-timed joke and they quickly moved on to the next subject.   Fredrik is lucky to have immediate family he is close with.  He's posted a lot of pictures on his FB page in the past when he's been on vacation with his brother and his family.  Fredrik seems to adore being an Uncle!

Share Post

I enjoyed this season. I hope Goldie & Luis come back next year. Frederick's facial tics are still annoying but he knows how to sell high end properties.

Share Post

On 8/14/2017 at 8:30 PM, oakville said:

I enjoyed this season. I hope Goldie & Luis come back next year. Frederick's facial tics are still annoying but he knows how to sell high end properties.

I would like this too.  I would also like the guy from Season 1 to come back.  He was sort of eccentric which I really loved.  Guessing he's more so now.

Share Post

On 8/11/2017 at 5:11 AM, dleighg said:

I also wonder how this "team" stuff works in real restate. Such as Steve expanding his team, starting with the two guys whose names I can't remember. What do they get, a desk and a chance to list something or have a buyer when the phone call comes to Steve? And Steve presumably gets a cut of every commission? But how does Steve have a big enough office already? Or maybe offices/desks aren't much of a thing these days. And Ryan needing to convince someone at the new company to come with him? So that guy might walk and find a new company, or start on his own? Seems that's always something of a danger. 

If you belong to a team your team leader gets a cut of everything you sell. However they normally pay for your MLS fees, phone bills, office space, personal assts. , etc. Plus the leader is normally an experienced agent who is there to help and mentor his team. For some agents it's a win win. Especially new agents (Bradley Copper). Often the leader will give them leads to go list and build their inventory. 

Agents leaving companies is not uncommon. I have one agent whose contracts read if she leaves our company she takes her listings with her. 

Yes, he will definitely leave Nest Builders. There's nowhere else for him to go there. With his own company he can expand as much as he wants. It's a super smart move. 

Most big companies (ReMax, Caldwell Banker, etc. ) are franchises. You buy the name and the operating procedures. The rest is up to the broker/owner. 

Share Post

So happy for Fredrik & Derek! I am sure Fredrik knew that their surrogate was expecting, but since it has been such a roller coaster, probably exhaustive experience  for them, I doubt that calling up some tears for the camera was a problem.

Steve - so hot at the party that I didn't even mind the man bun. I thought it was a dick move to schedule a lunch with the developer while still in Paris (complete with fake phone call to assistant Jess back in NYC to set it up), but glad he canceled. However, this developer is not the personal property of Frederik, so I hope they were able to connect in NY. I was wondering why we saw so much of Ian(?) this season; turns out he is real estate bro #3. Steve is going to have to lease a bigger office.    

I'm excited for Ryan in his new business venture, but that phone call with the buyers' agent was so unprofessional (and clearly for the storyline). One offer does not a bidding war make, and I don't care who you think you are, calling a fellow professional doing their job a motherf***er (or really, anyone) is never OK. 

Fredrik's brother & sis-in-law are gorgeous, and I am glad they were at the party. I wonder why his parents and in-laws weren't there. I hope it was a just matter of them wanting to celebrate more privately, and not ill health. 

I think the show is setting up Luis to come back. I hope so, and I really hope he finds what he is looking for in life. His apartment is to die for! 

So, no reunion? :-( 

On 8/10/2017 at 9:37 PM, ChitChat said:

I wanted to cry. Cake is not for wasting. 

On 8/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, HunterHunted said:

The worst part about the lunch is that it was occurring while they were still in Paris. That was a little gauche,

I see what you did there..heh. I agree that Steve should have waited until returning to NY to meet with the developer, and I don't see anything untoward about him setting up a meeting in general. 

On 8/12/2017 at 0:07 AM, scrb said:

OK, so Lenny Kravitz being the interior designer is suppose to be such a big deal?  That Frederick got $5000 a square foot for those apartments and they showed the graphic that properties in the area had fetched only $2500 a square foot?  A lot of rich star fuckers?

Lenny is talented & beyond good looking, but neither of those things would mean anything to me when apartment shopping. Maybe a personal visit? He is on my free pass list after all ;-) 

On 8/12/2017 at 10:30 AM, 2727 said:

The biggest WTF moment for me was Fredrik (a) getting 1000+ RSVPs for presales on a NY building in Paris, then (b) deciding that was too many and disinviting almost all of them. He's not a stupid businessman and wouldn't risk alienating all those agents he strung along and lied to. I blow a raspberry at that entire fiction.

Yeah, that was lame. 

Edited by Toothbrush.

Share Post

Emilia looks very different. I didn't recognize her.  Is she seriously already starting with fillers and botox? Because she was a natural beauty with some personality in her face and now she just looks plastic. Did anyone else notice this? I was not even quite sure it was her.

Share Post

I don't like it when Frederick had invited all the agents to have coffee and bid on apartments. He dismissed all the offers below the asking price in a snobby manner. I was happy that the blond haired agent walked away from him

Share Post

On 8/17/2017 at 9:11 AM, Bellalisa said:

Emilia looks very different. I didn't recognize her.  Is she seriously already starting with fillers and botox? Because she was a natural beauty with some personality in her face and now she just looks plastic. Did anyone else notice this? I was not even quite sure it was her.

I was just watching this episode - I didn't see but maybe 1 or 2 episodes this season but I came here to ask about this. Her lips looked puffy and something was up with her face. She obviously had something done. It's a shame - she's pretty and I hope she doesn't ruin her face (like Heather from MDL:LA).

Share Post