Jump to content

S06.E10: Wake. Sell. Repeat. 2017.07.27

In order to set a record for his new brownstone in Park Slope, Fredrik tries to set other records at his open house. Even though Ryan's business is booming, he finds himself down in the dumps for reasons unknown. When Steve encourages a friend into selling his massive loft in Soho, he receives an offer from an unexpected source.

0

Share Post


Link to post

When did David Brenner become a psychologist? 

PS If you understand this reference you,also, are old. Sorry.

9

Share Post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, lgprimes said:

When did David Brenner become a psychologist? 

PS If you understand this reference you,also, are old. Sorry.

Yeah I get it. I'm old. 

4

Share Post


Link to post

^haha^ Me, too.

Gah, that golden apt was so awful. No accounting for taste. And what a douche dentist.

3

Share Post


Link to post

Is Ryan paving the way to leave the show, too? Feeling stifled is how Luis started his early midlife crisis.

If Ryan wants to try acting full time, he needs to do better than slouch into the therapist's fake office and pretend to be so dejected he can barely speak. That was bad.

Developers/sellers know that agents are legally obligated to present all offers, so I really wish they'd quit shooting the messenger. Was it even mentioned how long Fredrik's Park Slope brownstone had been on the market? And don't sellers sign listing contracts in New York? You normally can't just fire your agent willy nilly.

Knowing school districts is Realtor 101 and I don't believe Ryan would be caught flat-footed like that. Also not buying that he's somehow unaware that storage space is a big selling point.

Despite not really liking Bradley Cooper, I would feel bad if he lost his first big commission because the seller changed his damned mind. (Although I expect that to be a fake-out for next week.)

Signed, Cranky

11

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, rhys said:

^haha^ Me, too.

Gah, that golden apt was so awful. No accounting for taste. And what a douche dentist.

Some people have too much money.

8

Share Post


Link to post

OMG that gold apartment was horrible! I know there is sometimes no accounting for taste, but holy crap! And then the seller is not going to sell despite getting full ask (and I hate myself for using 'ask' as a noun; people at work do it all the time & it's like nails on a chalkboard). It does feel like Steve practically talked Sam into selling. Poor Bradley Cooper! I liked that Steve was very empathetic,  although I am sure it was all faked to 1)show off the hideously tacky apartment (golden shower haha - not) and 2)highlight Bradley Cooper's skillz in anticipation of him joining Steve's real estate bro team. 

I would like to offer Jeanne a ladder to use to get over herself. Fredrik knows what the market will support (and she damn well does too). That townhouse, excuse me, mansion, was absolutely gorgeous. 

We had to FF through Ryan's therapy session. Don't even care. Yvonne the developer was sexist in thinking that only mothers would know about schools in the area and understand the importance of storage for strollers & toys, but he & Amy seemed like they were working well together.

Ryan was right about the Groundhog Day theme - but for the show. Seller doesn't want to sell despite kickass offer, developer wants too much money for property, micromanages, and doesn't let realtor do their job. Angry phone calls about "where are my contracts" and "why are you bringing me below full ask offers", or, this season's theme, making one of our guys co-list with the (so far) female realtor of the developer/seller's choice. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Steve looked great in a suit, and he remains hot. 

7

Share Post


Link to post

It felt like a high pressure tactic when Steve was talking the guy into the sale. For the record, the $2 million profit doesn't leave seller with much after Steve and Bradley take their $720K commission. Plus he likely has to pay capital gains tax on some or all of that.  

If he really wanted to live there, he shouldn't be showing it on the show. More likely he is mortgaged to pay for the property and renovation and has to sell. So the whole thing was fake. 

2

Share Post


Link to post

Fake story line about Ryan not feeling fulfilled. Not buying any of it.

The gold apartment was hideous. I believe that is all fake too--guy getting full ask, but then wants to move himself in and not sell.

This show is not believable at all anymore.

4

Share Post


Link to post

That gold apartment was hideous. Except for the bathrooms, the majority of the hideousness was in the styling and furnishing and the horrific pipe organ chandelier. 

2 hours ago, GussieK said:

It felt like a high pressure tactic when Steve was talking the guy into the sale. For the record, the $2 million profit doesn't leave seller with much after Steve and Bradley take their $720K commission. Plus he likely has to pay capital gains tax on some or all of that.  

If he really wanted to live there, he shouldn't be showing it on the show. More likely he is mortgaged to pay for the property and renovation and has to sell. So the whole thing was fake. 

So fake.

2

Share Post


Link to post

From this week's Curbed recap, about Fredrik's Park Slope listing:

This beaut hit the market last spring with the slightly ridiculous asking price of $15 million—which, if it had actually sold, would have been a record-breaker for the borough. But things don’t always work the way that sellers (and brokers) want them to; the house got several price cuts, and was finally de-listed earlier this year; now, it’s back with Corcoran, asking just $10 million.

I imagine fired brokers must feel some satisfaction when this happens, lost commissions or not.

11

Share Post


Link to post

Ugh. Just when I thought this show was looking up, with the departure of Luis and the addition of Steve, it backslides. Enough of the annoying developers, Bravo. They are not interesting, or even amusing. When Fredrik's developer told him that he was spending too much time in Connecticut I wanted to reach through my TV and strangle her. And this is someone who considers herself to be a friend? If I were Fredrik I would have been clicking my heels in celebration of getting rid of her. 

I was so enjoying a season without Luis and his angst, to now apparently be treated to Ryan and his angst? No thanks. Everyone goes through periods of feeling boredom with their lives. Is it must-see-TV? Nope. I cynically think it is a set up for Ryan to decide to have a kid, or find a passion outside of work to direct some of his time. If it isn't a set up, that is my advice, Ryan. Free of charge. Get a hobby. 

That apartment was the ugliest I have ever seen on any show, anywhere. And that is saying a lot. I also think it was filler, as I don't think Steve is the type that would, on a whim, badger a friend into selling an apartment that he obviously put his heart, soul and considerable bad taste into decorating. And had not even lived in yet. Maybe it was a set up to introduce Bradley as a broker. In any case, if someone offered me that apartment free on the condition that it has to stay as is, I would turn it down. Living there would alternately depress and annoy the heck out of me. 

6

Share Post


Link to post

Oh, shit, Ryan. Welcome to the real world. You get married, you settle into a monotonous routine Monday-Friday, you get your ass up and go to work every day. Hopefully you don't hate your job. You come home tired but grateful that you have someone that you love and loves you back to come home to. Find a way to de-stress on the weekends and find something you love to do with your wife and maybe a few good friends. Maybe down the road have the joy of having a kid or few. Or not, it's your choice. That's life, buddy. There's not much more to it. And if you play your cards right, you will never have to worry about money or your health for the rest of your days. 

7

Share Post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Pickles said:

Fake story line about Ryan not feeling fulfilled. Not buying any of it.

The gold apartment was hideous. I believe that is all fake too--guy getting full ask, but then wants to move himself in and not sell.

This show is not believable at all anymore.

Yeah out of nowhere, he's mopey now?  With a supposedly big team, does he really do a lot of hands-on with open houses and showings?  Most of the time these guys are listing agents, so they don't have to drive around potential buyers.

I'm sure he works a ton of hours but I'm also sure he can take off any weekends he wants.

Same deal with Frederick.  They said at one point, the listing had been open for 11 weeks.  The seller was complaining that he spent weekends in Connecticut.  I'm sure he had brokers who work for him doing showings on weekends.  With the volume of business he does, I doubt he's going to personally spend a lot of time on a single property all the way out in Brooklyn.

I don't know how a furniture designer has $10 million to put into a property.  Maybe if he owns the furniture design company.  Or is he like this generation's Corbusier or the Eames, a star designer of very expensive pieces?  There may be a lot of rich people with hideous taste or maybe he doesn't design things as ugly as the decor in that apt.

3

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, scrb said:

 There may be a lot of rich people with hideous taste or maybe he doesn't design things as ugly as the decor in that apt.

Yeah, and shame on my perfect dream man Steve Gold to be so impressed with that hideous place. So impressed he would wear a suit to the appointment!

1

Share Post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

So impressed he would wear a suit to the appointment!

I thought he said he wore the suit for an earlier appointment. And I choose to believe that he was "just being polite" about liking that place.

3

Share Post


Link to post

I thought Steve mentioned in one of his talking heads that he liked the tacky apartment because it was different from the usual places that he sees, and that it was just nice to see something different. I did not get the impression that he loved it just that it was fun to look at. I could be misremembering though. 

6

Share Post


Link to post

Steve used the word "specific."  Polite way of not saying "garish" or "tacky."

I think Steve just wanted to sell the place and figured most buyers would look to change a lot if not all of it.  Main appeal of the place seemed to be location and size.

I looked at that Curbed link and it had an instagram post referring to the guy's last name so I searched for Sam Jaradeh and found this page on another project he did.

http://www.interiordesign.net/articles/12614-luxurious-soho-loft-showcases-state-of-the-art-technology/

He calls himself a freelance stylist, which I though suggests he's a hair dresser or involved in personal grooming or something.  But that page references him being with a "philanthropist partner" so that may be where he gets the money to play with these awful decor ideas.

3

Share Post


Link to post

When Ryan first arrived at Sam's apartment, Sam was identified by name on the screen with 'furniture designer' underneath. I remember thinking at the time "Wow, I had no idea that was such a lucrative job", given what he paid for the place and then spent to renovate. Later he did mention a partner so I thought then that maybe the partner was the one with the money. 

I also thought Steve was just blowing smoke with his comments about the apartment, and didn't really care for it either. (I can't imagine that many would). It was such a beautiful space in the before pictures, and I loved the windows. I didn't even notice the windows in the cave like redo, and had to pause to look for them. 

3

Share Post


Link to post
18 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Ugh. Just when I thought this show was looking up, with the departure of Luis and the addition of Steve, it backslides. Enough of the annoying developers, Bravo. They are not interesting, or even amusing. When Fredrik's developer told him that he was spending too much time in Connecticut I wanted to reach through my TV and strangle her. And this is someone who considers herself to be a friend? If I were Fredrik I would have been clicking my heels in celebration of getting rid of her.

I don't think, too, you can say almost any successful real estate person doesn't work hard. They hustle. If they don't, they don't make money.  (And Frederik can certainly handle business from Connecticut.)

He still has that property in his listings and it is still at $12,750,000.

1

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/27/2017 at 11:25 PM, 2727 said:

Is Ryan paving the way to leave the show, too? Feeling stifled is how Luis started his early midlife crisis.

If Ryan wants to try acting full time, he needs to do better than slouch into the therapist's fake office and pretend to be so dejected he can barely speak. That was bad.

Developers/sellers know that agents are legally obligated to present all offers, so I really wish they'd quit shooting the messenger. Was it even mentioned how long Fredrik's Park Slope brownstone had been on the market? And don't sellers sign listing contracts in New York? You normally can't just fire your agent willy nilly.

Knowing school districts is Realtor 101 and I don't believe Ryan would be caught flat-footed like that. Also not buying that he's somehow unaware that storage space is a big selling point.

Despite not really liking Bradley Cooper, I would feel bad if he lost his first big commission because the seller changed his damned mind. (Although I expect that to be a fake-out for next week.)

Signed, Cranky

 

On 7/28/2017 at 7:44 AM, Pickles said:

Fake story line about Ryan not feeling fulfilled. Not buying any of it.

The gold apartment was hideous. I believe that is all fake too--guy getting full ask, but then wants to move himself in and not sell.

This show is not believable at all anymore.

I think Ryan is true to his tag line.  Expansion always and in all ways (or something like that).  I can see how real estate (and most things) would get old quickly once you peak.  Next.

I'd be surprised if the thought he had a shot at acting anymore.  That ship seems to have sailed.  But, I can see him wanting to do other things.  

His comments were definately a set up for something, IMO.  Anxious to learn what it is.  Oh, and I don't thinks its *just* his new Bravo show.   He's smart enough to know that would likely be temporary.  I'm guessing/hoping there is more to it.

Edited by Jextella.
2

Share Post


Link to post

Didn't I read that Ryan is spinning off to do another Bravo show? Not leaving this show, as far as I know. But, I thought he was branching off to do a new show. I need to see if I am remembering correctly.

 

okay, new show is called Selling it like Serhant. Ryan will help struggling sales reps on their sales techniques. 

2

Share Post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

okay, new show is called Selling it like Serhant. Ryan will help struggling sales reps on their sales techniques. 

How obvious. So they show him having a mid-life crisis about the meaning of it all, and he finds his zen by helping others. Of course. I mean, we should all find meaning in our lives, but it doesn't always have to be on THE "TV". But all power to him, he's workin' it.

Makes me appreciate the low key approach to Fredrik finding his zen in Connecticut, and in church. But wait, next there will be a Bravo spinoff about that!

Edited by dleighg.
3

Share Post


Link to post

Yes, helping others and collecting another Bravo paycheck and getting more publicity. 

2

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

I don't think, too, you can say almost any successful real estate person doesn't work hard. They hustle. If they don't, they don't make money.  (And Frederik can certainly handle business from Connecticut.)

He still has that property in his listings and it is still at $12,750,000.

That is what annoyed me about the developer. Fredrik I am sure is pretty much always working no matter what the setting - and she would know that. Heck, my own hubby who has been a business owner for decades never really gets away from it even when we are on holidays. He has numerous employees but in the end it is his (and his partners') baby, and it is important to him to make sure all is going well. It used to annoy me years ago but then I realized that stressing about him taking calls or answering emails while we are on holidays just stresses him, so we long ago reached a compromise that makes us both happy. 

Interesting about Fredrik still having the listing as in a post above related to that Curbed site it says it is selling for 10 million? 

Ugh. Should have known that Ryan's angst was a set up for something related to Bravo. I never believed that he would leave real estate. Luis was different as he always said it was never his passion and he did not see him selling real estate long term. I have several good friends who are real estate agents - have been for years. It is in their blood, they are very successful, and for them there is no such thing as reaching the top (even though one has, quite awhile ago now). 

2

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

I don't think, too, you can say almost any successful real estate person doesn't work hard. They hustle. If they don't, they don't make money.  (And Frederik can certainly handle business from Connecticut.)

Plus Ryan and Fredrik have a team of sales people and assistants that work for them so they don't have to handle all the minutiae, their focus is on getting the listings and buyers through their name recognition and connections. They have paid their dues and the days of pounding the pavement, schlepping around the city showing property from dawn till dusk are long gone.   

2

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

That is what annoyed me about the developer. Fredrik I am sure is pretty much always working no matter what the setting - and she would know that. Heck, my own hubby who has been a business owner for decades never really gets away from it even when we are on holidays. He has numerous employees but in the end it is his (and his partners') baby, and it is important to him to make sure all is going well. It used to annoy me years ago but then I realized that stressing about him taking calls or answering emails while we are on holidays just stresses him, so we long ago reached a compromise that makes us both happy. 

Interesting about Fredrik still having the listing as in a post above related to that Curbed site it says it is selling for 10 million? 

Ugh. Should have known that Ryan's angst was a set up for something related to Bravo. I never believed that he would leave real estate. Luis was different as he always said it was never his passion and he did not see him selling real estate long term. I have several good friends who are real estate agents - have been for years. It is in their blood, they are very successful, and for them there is no such thing as reaching the top (even though one has, quite awhile ago now). 

 

IMG_2091.PNG

0

Share Post


Link to post

The above posting is interesting as when I looked at the Curbed link it said the property was listed for 15 million in March 2016. Then it went to 12.75 million in Sept/16 (I assume when Fredrik took over?). Then in Feb. of this year went to 10.75 million and now sits at 9.995 million. When I google the address it comes up on July 13th as a Corcoran Group property listed for 9.995. So the above listing under Fredrik's name which doesn't have a date but appears to be current is rather odd as it appears it hasn't been listed at that price since Feb. and is not Fredrik's listing any longer which is what the Curbed article said. Hmmmm.....

Edited by UsernameFatigue.
1

Share Post


Link to post
22 hours ago, dleighg said:

How obvious. So they show him having a mid-life crisis about the meaning of it all, and he finds his zen by helping others. Of course. I mean, we should all find meaning in our lives, but it doesn't always have to be on THE "TV". But all power to him, he's workin' it.

Makes me appreciate the low key approach to Fredrik finding his zen in Connecticut, and in church. But wait, next there will be a Bravo spinoff about that!

Well, Fredrik is getting a spinoff too, but it's about helping Bethenney instead. Not every reality cast member needs a spinoff, Bravo.

3

Share Post


Link to post

Fredrik has a business partner (John Gomes) and a team of brokers. That's why he can travel to Sweden and have vacations. Eklund|Gomes is the number one team in Douglas Elliman And if Fredrik can't sell it, God knows who can,  property was overpriced. Yeah it was a beautiful restoration but you are not in Manhattan.

And Steve, well I have to disagree to him that apartment was ridiculous. horrible in ever possible way.  Golden showers and what not wtf.

Ryan's well obviously staged.

2

Share Post


Link to post

Ryan's sad act cracked me up. He is not a good actor.

The apartment Steve showed was horrible. It was so dark too. I liked the before pic better. Golden Showers? So hilarious - except not.

2

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Marley said:

Golden Showers? So hilarious - except not.

I only know one "meaning" for golden shower. Which I only learned recently, thank god. Why would someone LABEL it that way? 

2

Share Post


Link to post
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

I only know one "meaning" for golden shower. Which I only learned recently, thank god. Why would someone LABEL it that way? 

Well, judging from the rest of the apartment, Sam is not exactly the epitome of good taste. 

3

Share Post


Link to post

That apartment looked like it was designed for one person - Donald Trump.  I don't think I've seen anything so awful.  Who would want to live somewhere that dark and gaudy??

 

I just loved that when Ryan was angst-ing at his driver, the driver was like "I'm happy.  I like driving.  You like real estate."  

5

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now