S02.E09: There's No Place Like Home 2013.08.05

After a landlord is killed, Major Crimes' investigation quickly focuses on his elderly tenants, who all worked together on a 1970s detective TV program.

Share Post

I love the special guest star line-up they assembled for this one.  The characters who all met and stayed friends from the Quincy knock-off are entertaining on their own, and for everyone’s reactions to them – the squad members each reacting to her/his tenant during the montage of interviews, and Andrea’s reaction to everyone’s courtroom confessions to the numerous ways they set the victim up to be killed in particular. 

The underlying premise about ownership of the Lost Horizon apartment complex makes no sense, though, how it’s stated the tenants would inherit it if the nephew died, and in fact did and are passing it along in trust to the Children’s Hospital as part of their deal.  Their friend, the nephew’s uncle, who died left it to them, yes, but the nephew successfully challenged that will; it was ruled invalid by the probate court and the estate passed intestate.  That’s it.  Done.  The nephew owns the apartment.  The residents have life tenancies in their individual units, meaning they can’t be kicked out as renters (which is why he was trying to make it miserable enough for them to all leave on their own), but that’s it; no ownership interest.  Killing him means it passes to his heirs.  He was an asshole in challenging the will, because his uncle truly did mean for the tenants to get it, but he didn’t commit a fraud or anything in doing so; the uncle did a poor job drafting the will, by his reference to “family,” and thus the nephew prevailed in court.  We don’t suddenly resurrect the uncle’s invalidated will and give the complex to the residents because the dead nephew was a jerk and the old folks are nice.

Setting that aside, there’s some sweet stuff with Sharon helping Rusty through how to let Kris down easy; I love watching her guide him to making the right decisions.  And I love that she repeatedly offers to get him professional help, but never forces it.  Their conversation where he says he's not a kid is particularly good, as that’s an interesting aspect of his personality -- for all the ways in which he's immature, he was also forced to grow up way too young.  His belief that means he can’t connect with his classmates isn’t entirely off-base.

But, getting back to the fun stuff, Paul McCrane doing karaoke to (I've Had) The Time of My Life is delightfully entertaining, and everyone's - especially Sharon's “Nooo” - reaction to it is even better.  Especially when they find out there’s dancing.  I love that they included more of his performance in the closing credits, and I hope that remained in syndication (I took a break to make another drink, so I'm not sure).

I also love Morales’ fig leaf drawing over the blown-up autopsy photo. 

Hee – Andy isn’t there to hear Mike’s Badge of Justice reference.  But he is there for his later, “As we say in the business, everybody back to one,” yet he doesn’t react; presumably, because he’s already waiting up on the second-floor landing. 

“[Firing range guy] retired.”
“Retired?  He’s been scoring my targets since I became a lieutenant.”
“Sounds like he had a good, long career.”

Ha.  Also:

“Do you know if Mr. Dagby had any enemies?”
“You mean besides us?  Because we all hated him.”

I like Andrea drooling over the bags, something that might very well annoy me in another show, but in the midst of that she’s talking business.  I think those bags are ugly, though. Four thousand dollars for one of them?!

“If you look through this lens, you can probably see Barnaby Jones.”

It’s funny that in the previous episode Amy conducting a victim interview alone was notable to me because it’s unusual, and then in this one they all sit down individually suspect interviews, which is even more unusual.  Funny as hell montage, but unusual.  We don't see Andrea and Buzz in Electronics trying to keep track of all this.

“You’re missing something, Señor Quincy” was cute.

Provenza in Doris Roberts' bedazzled glasses, as he can finally see well enough to shoot, is a fantastic ending. 

This one has a few deleted scenes on the DVD, but I’m a bit fuzzy on them.  I know there’s more to the initial questioning of everyone at the complex, in which we learn about some other cast/crew members whom Ed had managed to drive out of the complex with his rules and restrictions.  And a scene that makes more explicit Provenza’s emotional connection to these people’s efforts to live out their “golden years” in peace.  And more with Sharon and Rusty about Kris, but I'm really blank on that one.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

This is re-airing here on the CW. It's so good to see Ron Glass again, looking well. The episode aired in 2013. Ron Glass died of "respiratory failure" in 2016. As far as I can determine, no new details about his cause of death have been published.

Share Post

They got quite a group of guest stars for this one; Glass was the only one I didn't know by name (I recognized him as someone I'd seen on other shows, but didn't know his name).

I love that more of Paul McCrane's karaoke and dancing plays under the end credits.

No matter how many times I watch, I still can't get over those ugly bags selling for $4000.  Not to mention all the stuff they got wrong with the will.  But I don't care, because it's a hoot.

Share Post