The Lonely Js Club: Jana, JD, Jedidiah, Jeremiah and Jason

51 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I don't think the Coca-Cola shirt is that low cut, and I would probably wear it without an undershirt unless it was winter. 

Then, apparently, you are not as godly as the Duggars. (Love you!)

Share Post

In my company, they're referred to as "Administrative Professionals", as not all are assistants to any particular individuals.  And the word assistant indicates subservience when it may not apply. 

So unless you're addressing the Secretary of State, or Secretary General of the UN, the generic term "Administrator" works better than any form of secretary.  ;-)

And while it's possible that dark wedge of denim between Abbie's legs is an insert to make a skirt out of a pair of jeans, it really doesn't look like it to me.  

Share Post

9 hours ago, Fosca said:

Same is true with professors; I'm a woman with a Ph.D. and yet I was always called "Mrs." even after telling students to please use either "Dr." or "Professor" (not to mention I'm not married!).  Meanwhile, males regardless of degree or marital status were "Dr." or "Professor" automatically. 

Same. Totally my pet peeve. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

In my company, they're referred to as "Administrative Professionals", as not all are assistants to any particular individuals.  And the word assistant indicates subservience when it may not apply. 

So unless you're addressing the Secretary of State, or Secretary General of the UN, the generic term "Administrator" works better than any form of secretary.  ;-)

And while it's possible that dark wedge of denim between Abbie's legs is an insert to make a skirt out of a pair of jeans, it really doesn't look like it to me.  

Fun fact:  in England it's apparently very prestigious to be known as a "Legal Secretary", and they would in fact be insulted to be called a "Legal Assistant/Admin" instead, because the "Legal Secretary" designation comes at the end of a fairly rigorous specific degree program not everyone can get into, according to an HR rep of a global law firm I once interviewed with; whereas anyone can call themselves a "Legal Assistant/Admin".  I think this super interesting, because of course, once upon a time in America, "secretary" was a prestige aspirational position for women that in fact lifted them out of the working class; and often was acquired at the end of time spent in - ta-dah! - a secretarial school.  But now we've got to call these selfsame people "admins" and the like, largely because they have been pushed en masse into four-year degree programs by society justifying it by telling them "nowadays, you're nothing without a bachelor's degree; but good luck finding an appropriate job remotely tied to your major in American studies, fine arts, classics, journalism, public relations and marketing, etc., etc. with the competition from all these other hotshots, after you leave school."  So now, we have to pretend that "admin" is in some way a better job than plain old "secretary", even though a lot of both categories in many types of American offices, could best be defined as "a maid with a keyboard attached to his/her fingers instead of a mop".

Edited by queenanne.

Share Post

Secretary got replaced by Administrative Assistant when colleges began offering Associate's and Bachelor's degrees for it, which attracted men to the position. Since everyone's mental image of a secretary is female, it needed a non-gender specific rename.

Share Post

1 hour ago, beagletime said:

In the old days when I was a secretary, it was not an easy job,  Shorthand and typing without erasures is not easy.  I worked for a real estate company and typed reams of documents.  All had to be error free.  Before spell check you had to know spelling and grammar.  Most of which I've forgotten.  Different types of envelopes had different ways of being addressed.  We didn't just slap a pre-printed label on things. Dictaphone machines take a lot of practice. Carbon paper, who remembers onion skin paper?  There was etiquette for answering phones.  I also can work a switchboard with all the plug in cables.  Secretaries for a good company good have a very good career.  It was not a demeaning position at all.  Bad management can happen in any job at any level.  I really enjoyed being a secretary.  Men doing those jobs were called secretaries before women were in the workforce.  We need to take back the name!  

Mr Jyn, before he retired, held a couple of major commands and was XO at a couple of others at various Navy bases. Some of the "secretaries" who came with the jobs had been in the same position within the command for 20 or 30 years. They probably knew more about the ins and outs of Naval bases than any of the people who held the command job for the two (occasionally three) years they (the commanders) were there.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix.

Share Post

1 hour ago, beagletime said:

orkIn the old days when I was a secretary, it was not an easy job,  Shorthand and typing without erasures is not easy.  I worked for a real estate company and typed reams of documents.  All had to be error free.  Before spell check you had to know spelling and grammar.  Most of which I've forgotten.  Different types of envelopes had their own ways of being addressed.  We didn't just slap a pre-printed label on things. Dictaphone machines take a lot of practice. Carbon paper, who remembers onion skin paper?  There was a business etiquette for answering phones.  I learned to work a switchboard with all the plug in cables.  Secretaries with a good company could have a very nice career.  It was not a all a demeaning position.  Bad management can happen in any job at any level.  I really enjoyed being a secretary.  Men doing those jobs were called secretaries before women were in the workforce.  We need to take back the name!  

I was a legal secretary back in the 1960’s and I did all those things. It brings me back. I enjoyed it

Share Post

7 hours ago, beagletime said:

orkIn the old days when I was a secretary, it was not an easy job,  Shorthand and typing without erasures is not easy.  I worked for a real estate company and typed reams of documents.  All had to be error free.  Before spell check you had to know spelling and grammar.  Most of which I've forgotten.  Different types of envelopes had their own ways of being addressed.  We didn't just slap a pre-printed label on things. Dictaphone machines take a lot of practice. Carbon paper, who remembers onion skin paper?  There was a business etiquette for answering phones.  I learned to work a switchboard with all the plug in cables.  Secretaries with a good company could have a very nice career.  It was not a all a demeaning position.  Bad management can happen in any job at any level.  I really enjoyed being a secretary.  Men doing those jobs were called secretaries before women were in the workforce.  We need to take back the name!  

You have my sympathy.  Every year my boss and I had to review leases for rental apartments and office spaces for some clients, and I was always so resentful that I could never get a pdf-typable version of a Bloomberg lease form, though largely this is because typewriters are used so infrequently nowadays that my office never bothered to keep a decent one/couldn't find a company willing to repair them anymore.  Thus I was always being forced to type edits to leases on machines (a) without a platen with lines (!) showing where the ball is supposed to go; (b), without CorrecType tapes; (c) without being allowed to spend a dollar of the cheap law firm's money on trying to get a workaround.  It was a terrific day when my boss finally caved and allowed us to start handwriting the edits plainly, instead of trying to squeeze things in with the typewriter ball.  Did you ever use this beauty?  This thing is AH-MAY-ZING - I always wished I had the time to read the thing from cover to cover because I thought after flipping through a few pages, "WOW, if I knew everything contained in this manual, I'd be the best secretary in the world!"

https://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Websters-Secretarial-Handbook-Anna-Eckersley-Johnson/dp/B007PN4VVY

Edited by queenanne.

Share Post

8 hours ago, beagletime said:

I too worked at a PBX switchboard as a work-study college student.  I liked it a lot.  I sat right across from the President's secretary.  She was much respected and had held the job for 30 plus years.  It was considered a prestige position.

Gregg shorthand wasn't easy to learn, and I did well in that too.  I agree that the word secretary should be reclaimed.

Share Post

Moved from the Josiah/Lauren thread:

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:45 AM, Loves2Dance said:

Nathan was in a courtship and she left him. Lawson posted a very pretty picture of Jana on instagram with a ;p and then deleted it 10 seconds later. 

Please, do tell!  When did this happen?   Was he implying he thinks Jana's hot?  I hope someone told Jana about it.

Share Post

@Loves2Dance I’m pretty sure the picture did not contain any text to it, at least that’s what people who saw it said. 

This happened like 2 weeks ago. And it was not just a picture of Jana. It was a picture of Jana WITH Spurgeon in the garden. Everyone knows Jana is talked about often in the media. He did this for attention and attention only because he’s a d*** and loves to be questioned like this. 

Share Post

On 7/14/2018 at 10:02 AM, beagletime said:

I work in banking and the girl who trained me years ago moved up into the admin position for my district management.  Good pay, but holy shit the stuff she does.  She’s fully versed in the banking numbers, processes loan numbers and needs to be able to handle any banking complaint directed at the DMs, organizes every list and form for the entire district, plans picnics and parties, and also makes gift baskets while completely a full marketing audit.  And that was just last friday. 

I wouldn’t be able to do it.  I would be like Anne Hathaway in the first act of The Devil Wears Prada, searingly bad and then complaining nonstop.

Share Post

I smell an engagement announcement coming soon. 2 pictures

Share Post

16 minutes ago, Lunera said:

This really corny, but it made me smile.  Both of them look happy to have found each other. 

Share Post

They seem genuinely happy like JoKen.  They make me smile, too.

JD seems a lot less dorky, somehow.  Nice to see.

Share Post

I saw on youtube a couple of videos of Jeremy supposedly trying to fix up his brother with Jana.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I saw on youtube a couple of videos of Jeremy supposedly trying to fix up his brother with Jana.

Oh really? this could mean Jana can wear pants! 

Share Post

36 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

My, my, those are awfully cozy poses for two people who've allegedly never had a moment alone together!

Of all the Duggar couples, I'm finding it impossible to snark on these two. Abbie is adorable and at least has some education and work experience. JD has skills he can use to support a family. They're old enough to have a more accurate idea of what they want in a partner, as opposed to marrying the first person who makes googly eyes at them. 

They look genuinely happy together and I'm happy for them.

This is JD's first courtship, and probably the first time a girl outside his family who has given JD the time of day. They may look genuinely happy together for now, but time will tell.

Share Post

46 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

My, my, those are awfully cozy poses for two people who've allegedly never had a moment alone together!

Of all the Duggar couples, I'm finding it impossible to snark on these two. Abbie is adorable and at least has some education and work experience. JD has skills he can use to support a family. They're old enough to have a more accurate idea of what they want in a partner, as opposed to marrying the first person who makes googly eyes at them. 

They look genuinely happy together and I'm happy for them.

A huge plus is their ages.  That alone will limit their family size, which I think is good.

They are about the ages my daughter and SIL were, when they got married.  Although they aren't going to have kids, it was good that they had several years of work (and life) experience, to know what they wanted.  Abbie is adorable, I agree.

Share Post

I agree that an engagement announcement is coming soon. These people announce a 'new' courtship months after it really began. These two are further in than they publicly admit to. Wedding?   September or October IMO.

Share Post

Is Abbie playing with John's hair in the first photo? 

I'm betting on an October/November/December wedding. It's too late for them to pull together a September event. 

Share Post

33 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Is Abbie playing with John's hair in the first photo? 

I'm betting on an October/November/December wedding. It's too late for them to pull together a September event. 

What do you mean too late??  They know how to cut ice cream blocks for the ice cream sodas thanks to Jill.  A trip to Aldis and a trip to Sam's and they'll be all set to throw a Duggar wedding.  I'm sure Jana can sew some Franken-dresses by then. 

Seriously though, I think you're right.  I hope they have a nice wedding with the people they care about and not a tacky gift grab.

Share Post

The engagement will coincide with the new season of Counting On hitting the airwaves. Wedding seems likely to be the first week in November. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, Lunera said:

If they had a Duggar chaperone, that kid didn't do their job.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Lunera said:

Yep. Just in time for a special announcement suring the upcoming season 🙄 I see Temperance beat me to it

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips.

Share Post

Abby seems laid back and not super girly-girlish. Maybe a dress like this.Modest-Style-TR21852-350x859.jpg

Share Post

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

If they had a Duggar chaperone, that kid didn't do their job.

I'm guessing they took the photo.  LOL

Share Post

1 minute ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'm guessing they took the photo.  LOL

It may have been one of Abby's siblings. They may have different courting rules.

Share Post

6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

It may have been one of Abby's siblings. They may have different courting rules.

One can only hope ...

Share Post

4 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

This is JD's first courtship, and probably the first time a girl outside his family who has given JD the time of day. They may look genuinely happy together for now, but time will tell.

Plus, it's always a bad sign when someone with some legitimate education and/or means of financial independence chooses that lifestyle. 

Share Post

36 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

My brither in law is a nurse. When people comment "Oh, you're a male nurse?" he always answers, "No, a pediatric nurse."

I love your brother in law.

Share Post

1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

Perhaps this for Michelle?

1_1abbc093ed54f7ffba3eef28dbc7b36c.jpg

I just ate dinner.  Don't do this to me!

Share Post

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And a dress for Michelle. LOL

It's still better than what she wore to Si & Lauren's wedding!

Share Post

On July 14, 2018 at 10:02 AM, beagletime said:

My mother was a secretary in the early 1940's - she did shorthand and dictation, plus typing up the dictaphone tapes.  She taught me a bit of shorthand and when I hit 9th grade she insisted that one of my two electives should be typing.  Since we were in a rural, poor area, all the typewriters were manual ones.  I learned with carbon paper and onion skin.  One of the best things I ever did.  By the end of the year I could type, on average, 100-110 words per minute on a manual typewriter.  

That said, I routinely bust telemarketers when using improper phone etiquette.  I tell them that you don't call and say, oh hey, can I talk to Jane?  No, You identify who you are, what company you are with, and the reason for your call, otherwise you don't advance.  Seriously, I would have been fired from multiple jobs if I had made a call like that.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Aunt Catfish said:

I just ate dinner.  Don't do this to me!

I nearly choked eating a piece of pie on here a few minutes ago. LOL 

Share Post

9 hours ago, Lunera said:

This may be the one Duggar marriage that was actually rushed because the vows were anticipated.  And good for them if it's so.   I have long worried about JD and seeing him so comfortable touching and being touched is a happy surprise.  It would seem he truly waited until he was ready, versus all other speculation along the way.

9 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Oh really? this could mean Jana can wear pants! 

And the brother seems pretty laid back, and not the metrosexual attention seeker that Babe is.  And his hands are dirty, which Jana likes!

Share Post

4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

They must.  Abby has already seen her fair share of penises on the job.  It would be bizarre to try to shelter her at this point.  She looks like she's not waiting for anyone's permission, and neither is JD.  I think this is my favorite couple.   

Married people love to match make, and often want everyone to be married.  I'm hopeful for Jana (assuming she's interested).  At the very least I hope Jana and Abbie will be close.

Share Post

2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

My mother was a secretary in the early 1940's - she did shorthand and dictation, plus typing up the dictaphone tapes.  She taught me a bit of shorthand and when I hit 9th grade she insisted that one of my two electives should be typing.  Since we were in a rural, poor area, all the typewriters were manual ones.  I learned with carbon paper and onion skin.  One of the best things I ever did.  By the end of the year I could type, on average, 100-110 words per minute on a manual typewriter.  

That said, I routinely bust telemarketers when using improper phone etiquette.  I tell them that you don't call and say, oh hey, can I talk to Jane?  No, You identify who you are, what company you are with, and the reason for your call, otherwise you don't advance.  Seriously, I would have been fired from multiple jobs if I had made a call like that.

Not only did I learn to type on a manual typewriter with onion skin and carbon paper, I learned with the keys of the typewriter blanked out.  One of the most useful skills I ever learned was "touch typing".

Share Post

7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I have long worried about JD and seeing him so comfortable touching and being touched is a happy surprise.  It would seem he truly waited until he was ready, versus all other speculation along the way.

My first thought was : Pay attention! We all know you're horny, but you're piloting a plane, for god's sake!

What a beautiful view from up there!  Lucky Abbie, if she lives, to go anywhere she wants when she wants.

So the scruffy V-bro and Jana, huh? Hmmm....not looking like a match to me. He seems too worldly. She seems so mousey.

Share Post

She did say she wanted a man. He looks like one. No telling if he is one. 

Share Post

14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And a dress for Michelle. LOLbc307adc7f98f0017bd3bb6c197f05ca.jpg

She can wear it with one of Jill's ugly mustard sweaters because that dress is all kinds of Nike for MeChelle to wear without being covered.

Share Post

14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And a dress for Michelle. LOLbc307adc7f98f0017bd3bb6c197f05ca.jpg

Wow. This is from Omar The Tent-Maker's Fall collection, right? But unfortunately not modest enough for MOTY MEchelle. As @Fuzzysox said, it needs the mustard sweater because those collarbones and shoulders are defrauding as all hell.

Share Post