Media: Killing Eve On BBCA

Killing Eve has been renewed for S2

BBC AMERICA President and GM Sarah Barnett said, “This show has the thunder of women on both sides of the chase in Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer and, importantly, behind the camera with the lavishly brilliant Phoebe Waller-Bridge. The early response to Killing Eve has been incredible – for that reason, as well as the fact that we wholeheartedly love this original, funny, thrillingly entertaining series, we are delighted to move ahead with a second season before we even premiere.”

Share Post

Sandra Oh & Jodie Comer at SAG-AFTRA Foundation:

Some character clips from BBCA:

Eve:

Villanelle:

The agent:

The assassin:

The assistant:

The hacker:

The husband:

The handler:

The boss:

Share Post

That's because Early Adopters are grabbing everybody they know by the shoulders and scream at them "You HAVE to watch this show, OMG!"

Or maybe that's just me?

Share Post

This show is still killing it in the ratings: ‘Killing Eve’ Is A Word-Of-Mouth Ratings Sensation For BBC America

"The series has seen an increase in viewers every week since its premiere, growing a total of 33 percent in total viewers and 61 percent in adults 25-54 from its premiere episode on April 8 to the fourth episode last Sunday. Killing Eve is the only new ad-supported drama in more than a decade to show consecutive ratings growth over its first four episodes across total viewers and both key demos. Sunday night’s fourth episode delivered 892,000 total viewers and 386,000 adults 25-54 in Nielsen live+3 ratings."

Share Post

Moved To Other Projects discussion.

Edited by mwell345.

Share Post

Those of us obsessed by Villanelle's duds will be interested in this:Dressing like Villanelle. Fun interview with the costumer from the show plus shopping tips!

Share Post

‘Killing Eve’ Sets New Ratings Highs, Extends Demo Growth Streak Heading Into Finale

"BBC America’s breakout drama Killing Eve hit another set of Live+3 series highs for its penultimate episode last week — 986,000 total viewers, 455,000 adults 25-54, and 367,000 adults 18-49 — to head  into its Season 1 finale on Sunday on a streak of seven consecutive weeks of demo ratings growth (adults 18-49 and 25-54), going back to the series premiere. That is a first for a scripted series on television in more than a decade, per the network."

If they hadn't already renewed it for a second season before it even premiered, they certainly would have after this kind of growth!

Share Post

NY Times interview with Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge

Loved this bit:

the men in the show — even the good men — still underestimate or miss the point of Villanelle. That they haven’t for a second imagined she might be a threat — whereas every single woman in the world imagines for a split second that the man she is about to go on a date with, or the man that she just met in the corridor, might be a threat. That’s a calculation you make all the time that men don’t make — and it’s catnip for Villanelle.

Share Post

10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

every single woman in the world imagines for a split second that the man she is about to go on a date with, or the man that she just met in the corridor, might be a threat.

A slightly paraphrased Margaret Atwood: "Men are afraid women will laugh at them; women are afraid men will kill them."

Share Post

Phoebe Waller-Bridge on the Graham Norton Show was in fine form...you can find clips on youtube

Share Post

Killing Eve has been nominated for five TCA awards:

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA - Jodie Comer, Killing Eve – BBC America

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA - Sandra Oh, Killing Eve – BBC America

OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM - Killing Eve – BBC America

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA - Killing Eve – BBC America

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR - Killing Eve – BBC America

Share Post

32 minutes ago, BellyLaughter said:

No Jodie Comer.....ok Emmys.  Whatever.

A travesty.  She made the show.  There are a lot of actresses who could have played Oh's part, but not many could portray Comer's character as well as she did.

Share Post

31 minutes ago, ichbin said:

A travesty.  She made the show.  There are a lot of actresses who could have played Oh's part, but not many could portray Comer's character as well as she did.

100%!!  Sandra Oh did what Sandra Oh always does, she's fantastic!!  However Jodie's performance was a revelation for me.... she managed to make a ruthless, cold blooded assassin weirdly likeable lol Without that nuance in her performance this show is dead in the water...

Edited by BellyLaughter.

Share Post

13 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Sandra Oh got the Emmy nomination for Killling Eve. Making history as well. As the first Asian nominated in a lead category. 

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/12/sandra-oh-emmys-history-killing-eve/

She's the first Asian nominated for an Emmy in the lead actress in a drama category, but not the first Asian nominated in an Emmy lead category. Riz Ahmed won for lead actor in a limited series last year. Aziz Ansari was nominated for lead actor in a comedy series last year and the year before. I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but this is like when people kept saying that Misty Copeland was the first Black principal dancer at ABT when she was actually the first Black female principal at the company. Giving props to Desmond Richardson doesn't take away from Misty's accomplishment!

The last time an Asian actress was nominated for an Emmy in ANY acting category, it was Archie Panjabi for best supporting actress in a drama series (The Good Wife) in 2010. I don't recall any Asian actresses who have been nominated in comedy categories.

It's kind of sad that we're still having these "OMG, it's a first!" moments in 2018, but I'm still happy for her. Any progress is good (especially when you can count the total number of Asian nominees in Emmy history - male, female, drama, comedy, leading role, supporting role - on one hand)!

Share Post

Congrats to the show for one other Emmy nomination!

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - Nice Face by Phoebe Waller-Bridge

Share Post

There are a lot of actresses who could have played Oh's part

I disagree. IMO Sandra has a very lowkey, grounded intensity & charisma to her acting that largely goes unappreciated unless you were to try putting another actor in that position. That's important for a character like Eve, who is not the most likable of heroines. I don't think another actor could keep me invested in Eve when she's being a total fucking mess. 

To me, it's just that Jodie has the flashier role. I do think that Jodie deserved a nomination - I personally would have given her Evan Rachel Wood's spot - but I don't think it's a matter of her outshining/outdoing Sandra. They were both compelling but in different ways. 

Anyway, Jodie's tweet in support of Sandra and Phoebe was so cute:

Edited by galax-arena.

Share Post

The drama category for women is usually really tough, so someone is always omitted.

Share Post

So my Tivo has marked an entire day of Killing Eve on 7/22.  This starts at 6 AM, BBCA.  All of the episodes are titles Killing Eve: Expanded: Nice Face, etc.  They all extend 5-10 minutes over the original 60 minute format.  I’ve googled the heck out of this.  Is this a case of the American’s having scenes cut again?  At least this time they’re giving them back to us.

Share Post

Oh, man. I just finished watching this show and came here to comment that Jodie Comer was really robbed of that nomination. Sandra Oh is great, but Comer I think really created an unforgettable character. The show wouldn't be what it was without that performance.

Share Post

Killing Eve marathon on tomorrow starting at seven am on BBCA!

Share Post

Some big behind the scenes changes for S2 detailed here. Can't lie, this makes me a bit nervous. S1 of Killing Eve had its writing flaws, to be sure, but it did a lot more right than wrong, and some of what it got right is very hard to replicate.

Share Post

Waller-Bridge is involved with the changes, so I'm cautiously optimistic. And it doesn't sound as if the changes are because people are unhappy, just that Waller-Bridge is so busy she can't give the show enough attention.

Share Post

I binge watched the series and enjoyed it. That said, I am really surprised that Sandra Oh got an Emmy nom and Jodie Comer did not. I admit I've only seen Sandra Oh in a few things (not Grey's Anatomy) but it seemed like she was basically playing herself, (if Sandra Oh had found herself in that situation)  while Comer was nailing the sociopath character.

Share Post

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, QuinnM said:

So my Tivo has marked an entire day of Killing Eve on 7/22.  This starts at 6 AM, BBCA.  All of the episodes are titles Killing Eve: Expanded: Nice Face, etc.  They all extend 5-10 minutes over the original 60 minute format.  I’ve googled the heck out of this.  Is this a case of the American’s having scenes cut again?  At least this time they’re giving them back to us.

My dvr recorded all the extended episodes; are they worth watching?  Are the episodes so different that it's worth all that time?

Share Post

On 7/28/2018 at 8:02 PM, SoSueMe said:

I binge watched the series and enjoyed it. That said, I am really surprised that Sandra Oh got an Emmy nom and Jodie Comer did not. I admit I've only seen Sandra Oh in a few things (not Grey's Anatomy) but it seemed like she was basically playing herself, (if Sandra Oh had found herself in that situation)  while Comer was nailing the sociopath character.

I'm with you. I must be missing something with Oh's performance. She seemed to spend most of the season making the same frowny/suspicious/concerned expression, especially once her partner was dead. I also don't think another actress would have somehow fared worse. Hell, based on her performances in Fleabag and Broadchurch, Phoebe Waller-Bridge would have been just fine herself. (Well, okay, I don't know how her American accent is.)

(I didn't care for her in GA either, so clearly something is just not clicking for me. I've always failed to see what the fuss is about.) 

Share Post