Jem/Jerrica: Two Sides of the Earring

The Jerrica/Jem dual identity didn't seem too "dual" other than one wasn't supposed to be around the other. Then, she makes a third identity to see if her boyfriend would stay faithful? Someone needs some time away from Synergy and everyone in her circle of friends if that went by without a 'Jerrica, that's insane.'

I felt badly for Jerrica because her best friends and sister could so easily believe that Jerrica could do bad things so easily! No one ever heard of people impersonating/cashing in on looking like someone else? *sigh* I know: Too much thought, but for folks who claimed to love/care about Jerrica/Jem to so easily be led into thinking the worst? Just made me mad!

Share Post

There were times this show frustrated me with the easily fooled friends, and black and white plot and resolutions ("Misfits movie sucks, but the Hologram's movie is the best evah!").  I would love to see the show get a reboot - with stronger storylines, and maybe even a soundtrack.   

Share Post

I look back and don't really understand the POINT of the secret identity. The rest of the band didn't have them and they all lived in the same damn house. For that matter, how come nobody could figure out Jerrica was Jem? "The whole band + Jerrica lives at the house. But no Jem. And what is Jerrica's affiliation with the band? Hmmmm..." It's like Lois Lane levels of galactic stupidity that it doesn't get deduced. Especially by Rio, who made out repeatedly with Jerrica and Jem, he couldn't tell he was kissing the same girl?

And really, don't get me started on whatever Jerrica's complex was in that she kept getting Rio to cheat on herself.

Share Post

You have a point, kariyaki- I'm going to have to find some episodes and see what the reason was behind the Jerrica/Jem thing. As to Jerrica's affiliation? She owned Starlight Records, the label Jem and the Holograms recorded on.   

Share Post

I know what Jerrica's affiliation was. I just meant that her only role was to own the record label and everybody was always wondering who Jem was, it should've been super-obvious to an outsider.

Share Post

Oh, now I understand. Sorry about that, and yes, they should've.

Except Eric; he gets no cookies!

Edited by Actionmage.

Share Post

Especially by Rio, who made out repeatedly with Jerrica and Jem, he couldn't tell he was kissing the same girl?

See that's something I never understood.  In the first episode when they're shooting Starlight, they make a big deal that the make up artist cannot touch Jem's face And yet, she made out with Rio all. The. TIME.  And he was playing with her pink hair and touching her face.  So how does that work?

Share Post

Aja, poster girl for STEM, magicked up some amazing cosmetics just for Jem that didn't smudge! Or the gals could huddle up, playing up as "getting into their headspace" and Jem was fixing her make-up as Kimber or someone positioned a small compact so Jem could see to apply fresher make-up. Or the Jem make-up was holographic and Rio just didn't catch on. (He didn't about Jem's identity!) *g*

Edited by Actionmage.

Share Post

I was about 8 when "Jem" came on the scene, and I remember just being completely sucked into this show and all its "glamour and glitter, fashion and fame"---it was a Child of the 80's dream come true, with actual cartoon music videos and glam fashions!!

Although Jerrica/Jem got on my last nerve because she played up the victim thing so much and was always needing Rio and Synergy to bail her out of various scenarios, I still wanted to "be" her when I grew up.

Needy/boring/goody-two-shoes as she was, you had to hand it to the gal: she had quite a head for business to be able to wear so many different hats!

And those earrings...I worshipped those earrings. I even made myself a hideously fugly glass pair as a kid. I guess my inner Jem-fan never quite died, because I ordered my own pair on etsy last year for nostalgia's sake.

Maybe one day I'll finally dress up as Jem for Halloween if I can convince Mr. SunBun to dress up as Rio?

Share Post

she had quite a head for business to be able to wear so many different hats!

I do have to chuckle at the amount of hats she actually owned both on the cartoon and the dual clothing sets.

Share Post

On 7/20/2014 at 7:34 PM, kariyaki said:

I look back and don't really understand the POINT of the secret identity. The rest of the band didn't have them and they all lived in the same damn house. For that matter, how come nobody could figure out Jerrica was Jem? "The whole band + Jerrica lives at the house. But no Jem. And what is Jerrica's affiliation with the band? Hmmmm..." It's like Lois Lane levels of galactic stupidity that it doesn't get deduced. Especially by Rio, who made out repeatedly with Jerrica and Jem, he couldn't tell he was kissing the same girl?

And really, don't get me started on whatever Jerrica's complex was in that she kept getting Rio to cheat on herself.

THIS!!!! This frustrated me as a teen when I originally watched it(I was ALL INTO my toon couples and the soap opera-esque plots*) and also watching it as an adult now that it’s on Netflix. Aside from the big ass pink hair and pink eyeshadow-they looked and sounded the SAME!

As for Rio cheating on Jerrica with herself-she started that crap, and Rio rejected her at first, saying he barely knew her, didn’t even know her name, when she asked “don’t you like me?” Then she was going to tell him but of course, the Misfits had crashed that designer’s yacht and threw water at them or something and so she didn’t. As an adult I can’t understand why she, as Jem, would do something like that.🤯🤯🤯

On 7/23/2014 at 6:49 PM, Actionmage said:

You have a point, kariyaki- I'm going to have to find some episodes and see what the reason was behind the Jerrica/Jem thing. As to Jerrica's affiliation? She owned Starlight Records, the label Jem and the Holograms recorded on.   

Jerrica told her sister and friends it was because Rio was “very proud,” and she didn’t want him to think she had been making a fool of him.🙄🙄🙄 SOOOO ‘80s Harlequin Romance tripe. But then Rio didn’t resist too hard and was, as far as he knew, cheating on Jerrica, and it didn’t seem to bother him too much.😒😒😒

I don’t remember if Jerrica ever came clean-I do remember when Eric started to rep that new group? Dude with the big hair, who wanted Jem? He and Rio got into a fight and Rio said how Jem wasn’t real, but a fantasy, but Jerrica was a real person and he loved her or some such. And Jerrica is just SO HAPPYYYY! because he chose her over Jem. But, but, BUT!!! He was still canoodling with “both” of them! I think the romance between Flynt and Lady Jaye, which was much better, had me abandoning Jem. That and how those Misfits and Eric never truly paid for the shit they did.

*Flynt and Lady Jaye from G.I. Joe

Share Post