S01.E13: Tycoon 2017.05.14

When a crane collapses at a construction site and kills the son-in-law of a rich real estate developer, Nagel, Antonio and CFD Chief Boden discover that the collapse was not an accident.

Share Post

Kudos for finding a Donald Trump Jr. look-alike....Another "Code Red" trap ending...

Share Post

I can believe that real estate developers can be callous in how they treat their workers and might compromise their safety in the interests of getting projects done in time and within/below budget but deliberately dropping a crane/beam onto a city street? How could anyone know how many people could be hurt/killed? I know that they had a plan to make the crane operator the scapegoat, but the possible legal costs, both criminal and civil, seemed to be open-ended. Even if the scapegoating scheme worked that wouldn't have necessarily gotten the developer off the hook.

Edited by watcher1006. Reason: Addition

Share Post

This was okay but you know this was about Donald Trump somehow and I didn't really care for that part. 

Share Post

I assume Dick Wolf will work an not- so-thinly-veiled Trump character/storyline into all his shows. 

Share Post

The episode's villain was definitely based on Trump, with his massive ego,numerous bankruptcies and family empire, but overall an interesting finale episode, it definitely held my interest from start to finish with good performances from everyone except Valdez. 

My main complaint with the episode was the writing of it was rushed, I would've liked much more trial testimony from various witnesses about the defendant's business and the evidence against him, and I didn't understand the whole plea agreement that Jefferies wanted to accept and Stone found a way around, it didn't make sense. I really think this episode would've been better off had it been a 2 parter, and last weeks stupid episode should've just been eliminated to make room for a 2 part season finale. Then we would've had time to fully explore the story, get a lot more trial scenes, and explore the aspects of the case fully, as it was interesting. 

I was glad they used Jefferies more this week, but I would've liked more explanation of his relationship with the Frank character, and I wondered about what his comment at the end meant when he said something about Frank having dirt on people there and I wondered if he meant Frank had dirt on members of the club that they were having drinks at or if he had dirt on members of SA's office. Another thing that could've been explored more had it been a 2 hour episode.

Stone's rant at Frank at the opera benefit was funny and a good ploy but I'm surprised Frank's lawyer didn't try to have Stone removed from the case because she could claim he crossed a line and was harassing Frank, which he basically was.

Valdez's acting in the scene where she confronted the son at the elevator was laughably bad. I truly think that the actress playing Valdez is the worst I've ever seen as a regular on TV, she just has no idea how to convey any sort of emotion and is constantly smirking. 

Overall, this is just an average show. It is had its bright spots and 2 very good lead characters in Stone and Jefferies, and the Dawson and Nagel pairing has grown on me once I've gotten past the unrealistic nature of what they are doing, but every episode seems to have writing inconsistencies, sometimes downright stupid scripts and Valdez is just awful and needs to be replaced if the show comes back. Overall, I will still watch if the show comes back for season 2 but I won't be upset if it gets canceled. 

Share Post

Note to 1% members: When framing someone from the 99% for drug use, do not get it from your own stash....

Share Post

Yeah, this show is weaksauce. Not returning for next season. I groaned when the dude had a Code Red moment.

Phillip Winchester needs to find another show where he can show off his physique and sport his British accent (hello Strike Back.)

Edited by themadman.

Share Post

Look on the bright side.  At least Boden made it through an entire episode without being threatened by the CFD brass.

Share Post

The guy that played the obvious Trump reference (Linden?) is the same actor that played Marty Stein on what I'm guessing is the very little watched Rogue on Audience TV.  Pretty much the same character.  Laughed that the son even looks like Donald Jr. and that the curtains were gold as well.

Basically his ego got him in trouble.  He didn't need to get on the stand.  But he wanted to have the last word against Stone.

If this show gets cancelled, does Dawson go back to PD?

Share Post

Pissed off Peter Stone crashing FauxTrump's party and heckling him was highly unprofessional but is the kind of Gives No Clucks angle that I love seeing Phillip Winchester play. Having that dichotomy lurking underneath the 'buttoned down' professional Peter is a good move. He's been in your face before but this was slipping into reckless territory.

I actually did a mental fist pumped when Valdez put FauxTrump in his place when he talked down to her and she reminded him that she was a state's attorney. It was the one time her smugness was used for good and not for annoying the crap out of me.

Share Post

I have to admit that I didn't watch the entire episode. I got about halfway through and just skipped to the wrap-up.

I'm having a hard time understanding why this show is not more compelling. For the most part the cast is solid, and I really like a few of the actors from other shows I've seen them in. And some of the guest stars have been very good, Richard Schiff is always a favourite of mine. 

But Justice is not doing it for me. Unless the next season gets much better feedback from you folks I think I may just give it a pass and hope to see the cast in more interesting shows in the future. I really wish they had spent more time developing the characters more, instead of on outlandish cases. 

And one last thing, what is it with everyone always asking Stone if he is married/has kids? Do people really do that so often? I've only come across this a couple times in my life, and this guy seem to get asked every episode. 

Share Post

The actor playing Linden is Richard Schiff, Toby Ziegler in The West Wing, and generally freaking brilliant in every part he plays.

Share Post

On 5/15/2017 at 11:26 PM, Xeliou66 said:

The episode's villain was definitely based on Trump, with his massive ego,numerous bankruptcies and family empire, but overall an interesting finale episode, it definitely held my interest from start to finish with good performances from everyone except Valdez. 

Interesting that the Trump character shows how this show stands in the hierarchy of current Dick Wolf shows. I mean Law and Order SVU produced an episode with a Trump based character as the bad guy last season and NBC buried it. When Chicago Justice does the same thing it appears that no one gives a shit.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Interesting that the Trump character shows how this show stands in the hierarchy of current Dick Wolf shows. I mean Law and Order SVU produced an episode with a Trump based character as the bad guy last season and NBC buried it. When Chicago Justice does the same thing it appears that no one gives a shit.

Was the scheduled air date of the SVU episode before the general election?

Share Post

20 hours ago, Raja said:

Was the scheduled air date of the SVU episode before the general election?

It was, but even after the election there seems that NBC has no interest in playing the episode.

Share Post