Notes from the Mod

Official Post

Hello, all! Previously.TV has decided that going forward, it's strongly recommended that we pick one type of discussion method for a show - either an All Season/Episode Talk topic, or individual episode topics. So we're trying to decide how to proceed with 48 Hours, and would like your input! It looks like individual episode topics used to be done, but it's swayed over to one topic for all discussion. So please vote and let us know what you want us to do - and if you have any questions, please hit us up in here!

Share Post

Is this just for 48 Hours?  It would be nice to have separate episodes for Dateline as well.  Thanks.

Share Post

1 hour ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Is this just for 48 Hours?  It would be nice to have separate episodes for Dateline as well.  Thanks.

Just for 48 Hours. Each forum has different mods, and different posters. You can certainly check with the mod for Dateline about it though!

Share Post

I prefer an "All Episodes" thread.  I don't pay too much attention to the 48 Hours episode titles and would rather go into one thread and find/read comments on the last few episodes that have aired than have to know what the episode was called and click through listings.

Share Post

I'm also in favor of All Episodes, but should the Episode Thread format prevail, perhaps we should include a brief description in the title?

Something like 

S12.E14: A Cry In the Dark (Azaria Chamberlain)

I have no idea why that's the first thing that popped into my head.

Share Post

It doesn't make THAT much difference to me, but I prefer individual episode threads because I DVR everything and I may not have watched a show yet but want to see comments on the shows I have watched without getting spoiled. 

Share Post

I also prefer individual episode threads, but not because of spoilers. I just find it easier to follow the conversation when the topic is more streamlined. An ongoing all-episode thread sometimes bounces back and forth between multiple cases and it's harder to keep track, especially if I'm behind in watching. 

Share Post

I don't mind individual episode threads in theory, but they can be a big mess if people don't follow the format and start threads willy nilly.  The Dateline forum suffered from this, in particular.  Also, I never remember episode titles, so I have to read the description & comments before I recognize the crime (I have the same problem with crime shows on my TV - even with a title & description, I don't realize I've seen the show until I start watching it!!!).  :-)

Share Post

I prefer the All Episodes thread, I cannot remember titles either! Just refer to which episode you're talking about when you post.

Share Post

I prefer individual episode threads. I often can't tell which episode is being discussed when they are all discussed in one thread. Also nice for people to come back later and see all comments in one place.

Share Post

Official Post

We'll be closing up the poll this Friday, June 23 around 7:00 pm ET. Right now it looks like when the new season debuts, the forum will be going to individual episode topics, and if that's the case, the moderators will work to come up with a way to title topics that will help people know who each episode is about.

In the meantime, if you haven't voted, now is the time!

Share Post

I prefer the All Episodes option.  I never know the titles, and then spoiler myself.

Share Post

Official Post

The vote concluded, and with the new season premiering on Saturday night with two episodes, the topics are up for those two shows!

Posters may absolutely start new topics; Please note, we use the episode and season numbering from theTVDB.com, so this new season is 31 - other places on the internet say it's season 30. We're going to stick with TVDB.

To help distinguish the cases, and since many don't include names of the involved, we'll use a parentheses after the episode title with the name of the primary. So this season premieres with an episode about O.J. Simpson, and it does include his name; pretend it isn't, and the episode title is "Endgame (O.J. Simpson)". Make sense? Also, please keep in mind that the title may not get amended for a few days after airing; since the show airs on Saturday nights, and Sunday is a day of rest (and laying in bed and watching Hallmark movies, and other stuff... ;) ), but if you comment on the show, and throw the full name of the primary in there, it will happen sooner, rather than later!

Thanks, all!

Share Post