S03.E06: Off Brand 2017.05.15

3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I think it was worse...tofu bacon (saying this as someone who likes tofu).

OMG.  Tofu?

Share Post

14 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think it was worse...tofu bacon (saying this as someone who likes tofu).

I believe it was described as "veggie bacon" and according to Walt Jr. smelled like bandaids 

ETA Youtube link

Edited by Bryce Lynch.

Share Post

On 5/19/2017 at 2:54 PM, JudyObscure said:

True, Chuck's electrical allergy is psychosomatic, and by definition, I guess, that is a form of mental illness. However, he is not mentally ill in the broader sense of brain diseases like clinical depression, schizophrenia, or bi-polar.  Those are usually understood to mean chemical imbalances in the brain that affect thinking in every area. 

All thoughts, though, are chemical reactions, so why wouldn't thoughts of having an illness that doesn't exist represent a chemical imbalance that affects thinking?  I do, however, think Chuck's constant need to be right & his issues with Jimmy are independent of his illness, since I think the show made it pretty clear that these aren't new characteristics of Chuck's personality.

ETA: I love soy bacon!

Edited by ByTor.

Share Post

On 5/16/2017 at 10:42 AM, knaankos said:

I have to agree with this. The suspense level on this show is very very low at the moment. It got less suspenseful when the Mike/Gus storyline became more fleshed out. We know the eventual fates of every person on that side of the story except for Nacho. And we know where they stand when Breaking Bad Begins and ends, there are really no questions to be answered. So while it is is cool to see all those character again, what is their to accomplish by showing them? And I also do not see the purpose of telegraphing that Nacho will be the one to eventually put Hector into a wheelchair. I feel that it would have been a lot more effective of a shock to just have him do that when it actually happens without any foreshadowing. 

The two biggest questions of this series are still what happens to Chuck and Kim and that is really what the show ought to be focused on.

So much this.  When BCS first started, it wasn't Breaking Bad: The Prequel. Now half of each episode is about the drug trade in that city in NM that I can't spell, and as of now those stories do very little to forward the story of Jimmy/Saul.  But it's making every viewer except me and possibly the above commenter very very happy, so I'm guessing it won't stop any time soon.  

Edited to add:  I've finally had a chance to read Tara's recap, and I agree with what she said about "watching the show wrong".  That's how I feel every time I have that tinge of annoyance that we're back with the drug people, when apparently I'm supposed to be thrilled; I'm doing it wrong.

Edited by MaryPatShelby.

Share Post

On May 22, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Tatum said:

I never got the hate for Skyler. I found her much more sympathetic and palatable than Walt.

Off topic for this show, but 100% agree!

Share Post

On 5/15/2017 at 11:29 PM, Dianaofthehunt said:

Mike’s daughter-in-law’s storyline is uninteresting, and I wish precious story-telling minutes hadn’t been wasted on it.

On 5/15/2017 at 11:40 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Not sure where they are going with Mike working to build a playground with his daughter in-law's grief group.  Kind of a dick move though to volunteer him without asking!  Also noticed Tamara Tunie played one of the members, so I have to think she'll play more of a part.

On 5/16/2017 at 1:33 AM, Bannon said:

I know people think Mike's DIL slows things up, but I think it is smart for the writers to illuminate occasionally that it is guilt/grief which motivates Mike, especially when those emotions are being manipulated.

I am in weird late to the show twilight zone at Netflix binging because I am starting with BCS, instead of BB. My reason for the above quotes is that since the Mike reveals his part in being a dirty cop scene with his DIL I have felt that the DIL is using that against Mike, in a blackmail way. She always has an "innocent" request, with underlying threats (it seems that way to me) and then Mike has to go further into the dark zone to pacify her or pay for his past. If anyone wants to msg me or spoiler tag it for me: Is that the end result? Is she using his past to get what she wants?

On 6/11/2017 at 6:10 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

Edited to add:  I've finally had a chance to read Tara's recap, and I agree with what she said about "watching the show wrong".  That's how I feel every time I have that tinge of annoyance that we're back with the drug people, when apparently I'm supposed to be thrilled; I'm doing it wrong.

Huh. I guess I need to go read that recap and decide if I want to continue with BCS (I am up to this episode now) or quit and start BB first. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I am in weird late to the show twilight zone at Netflix binging because I am starting with BCS, instead of BB. My reason for the above quotes is that since the Mike reveals his part in being a dirty cop scene with his DIL I have felt that the DIL is using that against Mike, in a blackmail way. She always has an "innocent" request, with underlying threats (it seems that way to me) and then Mike has to go further into the dark zone to pacify her or pay for his past. If anyone wants to msg me or spoiler tag it for me: Is that the end result? Is she using his past to get what she wants?

Huh. I guess I need to go read that recap and decide if I want to continue with BCS (I am up to this episode now) or quit and start BB first. 

I don't know about "watching the show wrong" (from the quote in the above post) but I think it would be an interesting perspective to watch BCS first, then see BB for the first time with that background.  So if you're otherwise enjoying BCS  (and have some time on your hands), one option would be to finish BCS (at least what's already done), then watch BB, then go back and rewatch BCS.  And report back :)

Share Post

@SoMuchTV  I am completely enjoying BCS and enjoy coming to read a bit of the posts each episode to see what BB things popped up that I don't know about (along with BCS discussion), and think I will have a different (better?) experience when I finally get to BB binging by doing it this way. So I am going to take your advice (except for the rewatch of BCS after BB) and possibly report back (it might take a while since I only watch a couple episodes at a time).

Share Post