Season One Talk: I Love Dick

The spot to discuss the first season of I Love Dick. Please see the main forum page to see other topics including characters, media, and more.

Share Post

Kind of disappointed that this show is generating so little chatter -- I watched it over the weekend and am urging a couple of my female friends to tune in so we can discuss it. "A Short History of Weird Girls" was the best episode of the bunch, I thought. When I saw in the NYT that playwright Annie Baker was one of the writers of this ep, I decided to watch the entire series since I'm a huge fan of hers (as well as of Heidi Schreck, another young playwright who also worked on the show). Anyway, this episode features four of the female characters talking about their lives straight to camera. It's beautifully shot and written. I highly recommend checking it out even if you don't watch the whole show (though I did wind up enjoying the entire series; it's unlike anything else I've ever seen, that's for sure.)

Share Post

Was that a miscarriage at the end?  The final episode started with her being visited by her abortion and miscarriage in the pool.  That was way too much blood for the start of a period.  Maybe if it was a series written/directed/produced by men, I'd view that as their representation of a period.

Share Post

I watched this (in a space of 24 hours--yikes) because Chana Joffe Walt cited it as an influence on her incredible episode of This American Life, Five Women

Still processing--it's really thought provoking regarding art and feminism. (And marriage.) 

Share Post