All Episodes Talk: Crazy people with sledgehammers

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

"Furniture showroom" is exactly the same thing I thought. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they covered up a big double-door exit to that room with one of the giant bookshelves. I wonder if that might make it inconvenient for getting in and out of there, depending on where you are. I was scanning the room to make sure there was still at least one other door (there was, at the side) but all I could think of was "fire hazard!"

It might also be against the fire code.  I really like Nate and Jeremiah as people and their daughter is adorable; but I find their aesthetic to be boring; too plain, too bland and colorless.  There needed to be more color and life in that room.  It looked like it was filmed in black and white. 

The design itself did look like a furniture warehouse with multiple living room/family room groupings; all of them looking pretty similar.  If there were ever occasions when most of the 170 residents needed to gather there, there was no way they'd all be able to sit, let alone participate in the same event.

The beanbags and folding chairs might've been aesthetically displeasing, but they were probably very functional for that space.  Unless Nate and Jeremiah built a cupboard/closet of some sort to hide them, it was likely a design fail.  I also thought the 'vestibule' or whatever they called it near the entrance was a waste of space.

Share Post

23 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm not sure that would help at this point. The collecting will not continue, as he no longer has transportation. And the doctor confirmed last week that he is exhibiting signs of dementia. We have to deal with today's reality now instead of historical behavior. Sigh.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Dementia is such a horrible disease. I wish there was a cure for it.

Share Post

I also thought $100K was excessive for that space, but you have to figure they got to that number because everything they used was from some high-end designer showroom. Nothing in there was from Ikea or Nebraska Furniture Mart. When one of the workers said someone had generously donated $25K and N&J said they'd need far and above that I really cringed a little bit. For one thing I'm sure money is very precious at a shelter like that and maybe they wanted to use at least part of that donation for something else than design. For another thing the fact that N&J don't even bat an eye at the thought of throwing that kind of money at a redesign shows how out of touch they are with the real world. It's one thing when they're going into some millionaire's house to update his mansion but when they're throwing money at $3000 sofas and chairs for a homeless shelter it doesn't feel like something that's anywhere near their wheelhouse. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

his mansion but when they're throwing money at $3000 sofas and chairs for a homeless shelter it doesn't feel like something that's anywhere near their wheelhouse.

They didn’t actually spend $100k that was the value of the items they got donated plus the $25k.

Share Post

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Nothing in there was from Ikea or Nebraska Furniture Mart. When one of the workers said someone had generously donated $25K and N&J said they'd need far and above that I really cringed a little bit. For one thing I'm sure money is very precious at a shelter like that and maybe they wanted to use at least part of that donation for something else than design.

Yes, I was hoping that they'd say that everything was donated, and the $25k was untouched.
I see that there are labor costs, but N&J might have paid for those, and taken a tax write-off.

Share Post

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I also thought $100K was excessive for that space, but you have to figure they got to that number because everything they used was from some high-end designer showroom. Nothing in there was from Ikea or Nebraska Furniture Mart. When one of the workers said someone had generously donated $25K and N&J said they'd need far and above that I really cringed a little bit. For one thing I'm sure money is very precious at a shelter like that and maybe they wanted to use at least part of that donation for something else than design. For another thing the fact that N&J don't even bat an eye at the thought of throwing that kind of money at a redesign shows how out of touch they are with the real world. It's one thing when they're going into some millionaire's house to update his mansion but when they're throwing money at $3000 sofas and chairs for a homeless shelter it doesn't feel like something that's anywhere near their wheelhouse. 

One of the reasons that the shelter needed the room redone was that the furniture that they had was in really bad shape.  It was in that shape - seriously, bean bag chairs deflated from use? - because it got so much use.  Good quality, solid wood furniture, will actually last.  Their clients are teenagers.  Teenagers are hard on furniture.   They flop.   I'm sure that the $100K went into the things that went into the room, especially considering that they put flooring all over the huge ceiling.

I too wondered about the movie nights and the meetings, but they must have discussed the design with the shelter to make sure they knew what was planned.  "Reveals" are staged.

I'm glad they are helping out the shelter.  This episode and the one with the little people family showed them really putting their design skills to work for people who really needed help.

But, socks guys!

Share Post

They didn’t actually spend $100k that was the value of the items they got donated plus the $25k.

Yeah, I get that, but that number is high because the designers that donate stuff charge big money for their furniture. You're paying for a designer name which is why it's so expensive (if you were paying). If N&J were able to get everything they need from discount warehouses and furniture outlets and lumber liquidators, they could probably cut that number by 2/3. It's just a big, showy number to make it look more impressive.

But, having now caught up on some earlier episodes, I see now that's the gimmick with every episode, where the home owner or whoever only has a pittance to spend and then N&J go "begging" so they can get the home owner more swag and re-do more stuff. And by "pittance" I mean they look down their noses as $50K and say they need at least twice that. They could have redone this room with the $25K that was donated and made it perfectly fine and functional but that's not what this show is about.

Share Post

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But, having now caught up on some earlier episodes, I see now that's the gimmick with every episode, where the home owner or whoever only has a pittance to spend and then N&J go "begging" so they can get the home owner more swag and re-do more stuff.

That hasn't happened as much this season, but was in every show last season.

Share Post

Before this past episode, they've only pimped out kitchen and bathroom faucets. They haven't done a kitchen or bathroom for a while. 

Share Post

I've never heard of terrazzo flooring before and it's all they talked about in this last episode. The kitchen was lovely but this wasn't a typical episode for them - surely there are more desperate people out there with bigger problems. Makes you wonder what the criteria really is for getting on the show.

I wonder if we'll see their new baby next week.

Share Post

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I've never heard of terrazzo flooring before and it's all they talked about in this last episode. The kitchen was lovely but this wasn't a typical episode for them - surely there are more desperate people out there with bigger problems. Makes you wonder what the criteria really is for getting on the show.

I’m ok with them not being desperate.  That gets old.  Where everyone has a horrible affliction or has screwed up so bad there is no help. Nice to see someone that just got tired and needed someone with vision to step in.  At least they had the money to do it.  The exterior of that house looked really good.  Loved the front steps.  They’d done a nice job.  And I’m partial to the whole episode since they got a Bertazzoni range.  Which I have and it’s nice to see I’m not the only person in the universe.

Share Post

I thought the wife Lon last night’s episode looked like Beverly Goldberg. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, Snickerdoodle said:

I thought the wife Lon last night’s episode looked like Beverly Goldberg. 

My boyfriend thought the same thing, I thought Sharona from Monk.

Share Post

I can see why they wanted the floor matching throughout the house.  I couldn't see why they wanted a huge island heading out towards their huge dining room table.  Weren't the chairs the ones they had around the table?  And they took out an authentic mid-century modern table and chairs in the breakfast nook and replaced them with that huge blue sofa?  Nobody wants a bunch of upholstery in their kitchen, it's just going to get greasy.

Why can't terrazo tiles be 3D printed?

Share Post

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I've never heard of terrazzo flooring before and it's all they talked about in this last episode.

It's used a lot in Florida, and I see it taken up in a lot of Florida flip shows, Zombie House Flippers, Miami Flip, and Scott McGillivray's Buyer's Bootcamp, when he does Florida episodes.
Didn't know it was expensive especially.  I do like how it looks.

Share Post

19 minutes ago, auntjess said:

It's used a lot in Florida, and I see it taken up in a lot of Florida flip shows, Zombie House Flippers, Miami Flip, and Scott McGillivray's Buyer's Bootcamp, when he does Florida episodes.
Didn't know it was expensive especially.  I do like how it looks.

Yeah it's one of the most expensive options out there which is why I always see red when I hear people talk about ripping it out. Plus, there was the additional factor that they had to match the original. No other option would have looked good given the design of the kitchen so I have to imagine "finding" the extra $20k was just for the show.

Share Post

I really didn't like the yellow stove. I guess the home owners thought it was fun but I really cringed when they unloaded it and installed it. Otherwise I thought the kitchen was beautiful, although I agree the blue sofa was weird but that was an odd space they don't really need for seating. They have chairs at the big new island as well as a big dining table. Does it make sense to also have a small breakfast nook? I think they're more likely to use the island seating for coffee, etc.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Does it make sense to also have a small breakfast nook? I think they're more likely to use the island seating for coffee, etc.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if tgat became more a place for the kids to do homework rather than a dining space. I did reaaly like the settee.

Share Post

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah it's one of the most expensive options out there which is why I always see red when I hear people talk about ripping it out.

On a lot of the shows though, they're tearing down walls, and reconfiguring the space, so they'd have to match it.

Share Post

On 5/20/2018 at 11:22 AM, iMonrey said:

I've never heard of terrazzo flooring before and it's all they talked about in this last episode.

Yes, this is/was used a lot in Florida houses...it is cool, fairly easy to clean and almost indestructible. You may have never heard the term  but I bet you have been on terrazzo floors before though! It was used in many Sears stores in their main aisles. The different departments were carpeted but the areas that had heavy traffic along with the basement areas were terrazzo...at least the one I worked in in Richmond, VA. Worked there during college because it was so close to my college and they hired many, many college students. One thing I will say about terrazzo is that it is hard on the feet if you have to be on it for long stretches of time. Push come to shove, I think they could have made polished concrete look good too if they matched the color carefully.

I, too, didn't like the stove but that is because it didn't match the other appliances so it stuck out like a sore thumb as did the blue velvet settee. Not my cup of tea but if the homeowners liked it, so be it, since it was their kitchen!

Share Post

One thing I will say about terrazzo is that it is hard on the feet if you have to be on it for long stretches of time.

In the 90s, I worked at a hospital that had been built in the 60s and had terrazzo floors throughout.  It still looked nice and was easy to clean but it was definitely hard on the feet and legs.  It was also rather slippery.  I gave up wearing heels with my business clothes because I always felt like I was going to fall.  I can't really imagine wanting terrazzo in a house, especially in a kitchen.  Or cement either for that matter.  

I was surprised when they said they'd chosen an old-fashioned, unattractive (IMO) name for the baby and even more surprised when they said it was the name of Nate's old partner who died.  Jeremiah was obviously OK with it but it seemed odd to me to choose a name that would be a constant reminder of a previous partner and a tragedy.  I suppose the name will come to mean the child in short order.

I know they've been telling Poppy about the baby but she isn't old enough to comprehend all that.  I wonder how she reacted when they brought home a live baby brother.

Share Post

18 hours ago, mlp said:

I was surprised when they said they'd chosen an old-fashioned, unattractive (IMO) name for the baby and even more surprised when they said it was the name of Nate's old partner who died.  Jeremiah was obviously OK with it but it seemed odd to me to choose a name that would be a constant reminder of a previous partner and a tragedy.  I suppose the name will come to mean the child in short order.

I know they've been telling Poppy about the baby but she isn't old enough to comprehend all that.  I wonder how she reacted when they brought home a live baby brother.

Poppy probably reacted like every other toddler when parents bring home a younger sibling.  Excitement, boredom, frustration cause she’s not the center of attention. Except for a growing belly, they’ve prepared her like every other parent does. 

Share Post

Many homes in the New Orleans area that were built in the 60’s have terrazzo floors. They’re beautiful, durable and easy to maintain.  The terrazzo floors in my childhood home survived Katrina’s floodwaters and were easy to restore. Quite an accomplishment considering the house was under 10 feet of water for over a week.

Share Post

On 5/15/2018 at 8:17 AM, iMonrey said:

I also thought $100K was excessive for that space, but you have to figure they got to that number because everything they used was from some high-end designer showroom. Nothing in there was from Ikea or Nebraska Furniture Mart.

If it's from a high-use space so anything from Ikea would be worn out pretty quickly and need to be replaced.  I've done some furniture shopping for a common area and even the most basic stuff can be kind of expensive. 

I probably wouldn't have selected yellow for the stove but I liked that retro aesthetic.  It beats white or black or stainless silver.

Share Post

On 5/15/2018 at 7:17 AM, iMonrey said:

Ha! Nebraska Furniture Mart!  Mrs. B for Blumkin!  I got my first married bedroom set from there!  My parents shopped at the original store downtown. As kids we ran all over that place and played hide and seek on all 4 floors.  Good times.

Back to Nate and J.  Oskie is adorable. Poppy  was sweet with him.  Jeremiah was funny about the "feminine energy of Poppy besides his. "  

The couple with the 3 daughters last night who "needed" a kitchen redo?  I think the long narrow lines created by the extra long island would be just as much a problem as trying to walk down a subway or crowded bus aisle.   They should have put in two islands side by side with a space  break in the middle so people could get to the sink or stove and then move back away for others to go by. It will take coordination to work that way.  The banquet was unnecessary but decorative. I would have like a little more pop of color --just a bit-- to break up the white and beige.  

Share Post

I know this isn't a charity show but usually the couple is in more dire straits than this last couple. Their home was already quite nice if a tad outdated and they had $100 grand to spend on it. Sheesh. Not exactly in desperate need of help which is usually the gimmick of this show.

I didn't care for the alcove with the seating right in the middle of the kitchen. I know they showed one of the daughters sitting there but I can't imagine anyone is going to sit there on a regular basis. So odd. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, Tosia said:

Ha! Nebraska Furniture Mart!  Mrs. B for Blumkin!  I got my first married bedroom set from there!  My parents shopped at the original store downtown. As kids we ran all over that place and played hide and seek on all 4 floors.  Good times.

Back to Nate and J.  Oskie is adorable. Poppy  was sweet with him.  Jeremiah was funny about the "feminine energy of Poppy besides his. "  

The couple with the 3 daughters last night who "needed" a kitchen redo?  I think the long narrow lines created by the extra long island would be just as much a problem as trying to walk down a subway or crowded bus aisle.   They should have put in two islands side by side with a space  break in the middle so people could get to the sink or stove and then move back away for others to go by. It will take coordination to work that way.  The banquet was unnecessary but decorative. I would have like a little more pop of color --just a bit-- to break up the white and beige.  

I agree, the island was way too long, it made the kitchen seem long and narrow like a hallway. It really didn't give them any more room to all be cooking at once, although why 5 people need to be working simultaneously in the kitchen is unclear, it is something they said they wanted.  The banquette was neat, but it really wasn't needed for seating in the kitchen and I doubt it's going to get much use.  There were already plenty of seats at the island and it was otherwise isolated from the rest of the house.

Share Post

This is the first design that I found to be a complete miss. 

The living room wasn’t really large enough for two separate seating areas and neither area was great for watching the tv which was in a weird spot.

I didn’t mind the long island but I thought the the seating alcove in the kitchen. And the couch with the high back as seating for one side of the dining table would be annoying for the person in the middle.

Share Post

I thought the house was perfectly lovely, and I love how Jeremiah tears up at the reveals,  and poppy's adorable with the new baby,  but mostly all I could focus on was seeing a cat run out the open front door of the house as they were loading furniture in. Why was the cat still there when there was construction going on?  Did someone get it back inside?  I'm so worried about it. Yeah, I'm that person.

Edited by luna1122.

Share Post

I don’t really care for their designs and material.  I only watch it to see Poppy (add in Oscar now) and because Nate is my boss’s third cousin and I’m always trying to catch a resemblance or mannerism.  

Share Post

7 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I thought the house was perfectly lovely, and I love how Jeremiah tears up at the reveals,  and poppy's adorable with the new baby,  but mostly all I could focus on was seeing a cat run out the open front door of the house as they were loading furniture in. Why was the cat still there when there was construction going on?  Did someone get it back inside?  I'm so worried about it. Yeah, I'm that person.

Yes, the cat!  I was thinking the same thing.  

We had new carpeting  installed last year and one of our cats went missing. We looked all over inside and outside fir a day and a half.  

The next morning i was sitting near on the stairs near the dining room, petting thet other cat,   and heard a noise behind me in the kitchen. There was our missing cat !

She had been hiding on top of the refrigerator behind the cereal boxes.  Such a relief.  

Got to lock them up safely in a room.

Share Post

I too watch this show mostly to see Nate and Jeremiah and Poppy. And now we have Oskar. They seem so sweet and sincere. If I find out otherwise I will be sorely disappointed!

Share Post

The living room wasn’t really large enough for two separate seating areas and neither area was great for watching the tv which was in a weird spot.

The dining room also still seemed small and awkward after the remodel. Maybe they should have combined the living room and dining room into one area rather than have them at opposites ends of that huge-ass kitchen.

I haven't heard whether or not TLC renewed this show for a third season. There were all sorts of promos with Paige Davis crowing about Trading Spaces coming back with new episodes, but nothing about N&J.

Share Post

On 5/24/2018 at 11:06 PM, mlp said:

In the 90s, I worked at a hospital that had been built in the 60s and had terrazzo floors throughout.  It still looked nice and was easy to clean but it was definitely hard on the feet and legs.  It was also rather slippery.  I gave up wearing heels with my business clothes because I always felt like I was going to fall.  I can't really imagine wanting terrazzo in a house, especially in a kitchen.  Or cement either for that matter.  

I didn't find the naming too weird especially after i read tiny blurb about the tragedy. Nate essentially became a widow and lost the first love of his life. Jeremiah would be a fool to not respect that and Oskar will always be a part of their lives. If Nate was a divorcee instead of a widow, it'd be different story.

Share Post