All Episodes Talk: Crazy people with sledgehammers

Once again someone who asked for help decided to do their own thing without speaking to Nate and Jeremiah. What if they didn't have that extra $1000 in the contingency fund? I'm glad Jeremiah called her out for messing with the shower design. I felt bad for her because she was using home improvement projects to channel her grief. The reno fixed just the cosmetic problem, I do hope she gets counseling so that she can better manage her grief.

Share Post

I wanted to call my brother 10 minutes into the episode to make him watch it.  He also has too much stuff in his home.  He's 78, and is no longer able to physically clean it up himself, and now his accumulation of crap has become a minefield for him to negotiate without tripping.  My much-younger husband (77) is going over there several times a week, as bro is finally recognizing he needs to get rid of stuff and can't do it on his own.  I make recommendations and am "supervising" the clean-out from afar, as brother will shoot down my ideas just because they come from me.  Sibling rivalry amongst 70+ year old people is really stupid.

I have been printing out storage ideas that hubby has been taking over to bro's . . . but bro says he doesn't need shelves or other storage things because he already has storage stuff.  His idea of storage stuff is an accumulation of ugly trunks, ottomans, etc., that he jams into small spaces.  My idea is to get rid of the trunks, etc., and put a nice, tall shelf unit in the back of his closet with bins/baskets like what N&J did in the woman's office.  Every bag/crate he agrees to get rid of is full of things which he describes as, "I forgot I had that.  I guess I can let it go."  (Plus lots of clothing that is four sizes smaller than he'll ever be . . . or ever was.)

I really loved that the woman seemed to come to a realization that her stuff was keeping her from living the life she was envisioning.  I can't believe the words "feng shue" even came out of her mouth at the beginning of the episode.

Share Post

While I'm sympathetic, the woman seemed like kind of a basket case, and I don't imagine that house will stay looking that tidy for very long. She had all the classic symptoms of OCD.

Share Post

I thought the designers had given her a dining table. The open table is only practical in a meeting room for clients or for someone who has office help in another space with the computers, printers, copiers, phones, and all the rest of modern office equipment. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I thought the designers had given her a dining table. The open table is only practical in a meeting room for clients or for someone who has office help in another space with the computers, printers, copiers, phones, and all the rest of modern office equipment. 

As others have mentioned, she had a computer, monitor, etc all on the desk in her original office.  Not only was all of that stuff not present at the end, if she did need to bring those back so she could work there, an open table in the middle of the room was going to be a logistic nightmare.  Since the computers weren’t replaced, I doubt Nate and Jeremiah included any sort of plan to hide the various cords and cables that would have to be snaking across the floor to an outlet.

It was pretty clear that Peggy had some significant emotional/psychological issues involving her home and possessions. If she didn’t get help for them, that place is probably already back to where they started.

Share Post

Didn't Peggy say at the beginning that she's a pharmacist?  Her personality seemed completely at odds with a profession like that.  I thought she was cute and very likable but also ditzy.  I would find it hard to cope with a fluttery pack rat.

I thought the finished rooms looked great but, like everyone above, I didn't understand the big table in the center of the room for the reasons already stated.  That will quickly become a dumping ground for mail and everything else she doesn't deal with immediately.  I'd guess that it's already piled with stuff.

I missed the deal with the recess in the shower.  Why did a crew working for a TV show do something without consulting the designers?  The same thing happened a couple episodes ago with the Italian couple who added a bathroom renovation.  I'm inclined to think those are made for TV problems.

Share Post

OMG, I had a friend like this woman. It was exhausting. Kuddos to her friend that stood by her. She will go back to her old ways and make a shit show of that beautiful home in no time.

Share Post

21 minutes ago, mlp said:

Didn't Peggy say at the beginning that she's a pharmacist?  Her personality seemed completely at odds with a profession like that.  I thought she was cute and very likable but also ditzy.  I would find it hard to cope with a fluttery pack rat.

I thought the finished rooms looked great but, like everyone above, I didn't understand the big table in the center of the room for the reasons already stated.  That will quickly become a dumping ground for mail and everything else she doesn't deal with immediately.  I'd guess that it's already piled with stuff.

I missed the deal with the recess in the shower.  Why did a crew working for a TV show do something without consulting the designers?  The same thing happened a couple episodes ago with the Italian couple who added a bathroom renovation.  I'm inclined to think those are made for TV problems.

We were told that Peggy, who was still living in the house at that point, saw they were building the shower and asked about the niche.  The contractor supposedly went ahead and had the workers do it because, miraculously, they just happened to be at that very point in construction without getting clearance from Nate and Jeremiah.

In real life, I expect the contractor knew full well that there was plenty in the contingency to cover it.  It also seems rather odd that N&J would be designing a high end bath these days with a bench,etc but no niche for product.  I think it might have been a little producer written ‘drama’ and everybody knew all along that it was fine.

Share Post

I can get a little pack-ratty, so I know that the open table office would be a disaster for me. The bathroom without much storage, also not happening. The closet area is nice, but it was staged with about five pieces of clothing hanging in it.  Minimalist is more of a goal than a reality for some people.

Share Post

I sort of understood her.  It's like when you put on 10 pounds, then you say oh, what's another 5 pounds and before you know it you've gained 50 pounds.   At that point it all looks insurmountable.  I had a real epiphany after watching the show.  She verbalized what I've been going through since I lost my husband six years ago.  Both weight-wise and keeping up with my house.  It was a "get with the program" slap in the face that I really needed.

Share Post

18 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I sort of understood her.  It's like when you put on 10 pounds, then you say oh, what's another 5 pounds and before you know it you've gained 50 pounds.   At that point it all looks insurmountable.  I had a real epiphany after watching the show.  She verbalized what I've been going through since I lost my husband six years ago.  Both weight-wise and keeping up with my house.  It was a "get with the program" slap in the face that I really needed.

I'm hoping that our clean-out of my brother's place will be that "get with the program" slap in the face for him as well.  The plan is to get all the excess crap out, set up the storage places, get him some more appropriate (LESS) furniture, and then bring boxes (which we're storing) back one at a time.  If there's no room for what's in the box, he'll either have to get rid of something else or let go of the box.  As soon as it's cleaned up, he's planning to hire a cleaning lady on a regular basis . . . hopefully, knowing that someone will be there every two weeks will keep him from throwing crap on the floor and not putting things away.  Plus, we now see that he needs someone to monitor his well-being, and we won't allow his current situation to continue.  He did have a health crisis a year and a half ago, and he has deteriorated physically and mentally.  Not yet ready for assisted living, but definitely in need of watching.

What helps is that he no longer drives.  No more yard sales, no more thrift stores.  Once this stuff is gone, there won't be more stuff to replace it.  

Share Post

9 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm hoping that our clean-out of my brother's place will be that "get with the program" slap in the face for him as well.  The plan is to get all the excess crap out, set up the storage places, get him some more appropriate (LESS) furniture, and then bring boxes (which we're storing) back one at a time.  If there's no room for what's in the box, he'll either have to get rid of something else or let go of the box.  As soon as it's cleaned up, he's planning to hire a cleaning lady on a regular basis . . . hopefully, knowing that someone will be there every two weeks will keep him from throwing crap on the floor and not putting things away.  Plus, we now see that he needs someone to monitor his well-being, and we won't allow his current situation to continue.  He did have a health crisis a year and a half ago, and he has deteriorated physically and mentally.  Not yet ready for assisted living, but definitely in need of watching.

What helps is that he no longer drives.  No more yard sales, no more thrift stores.  Once this stuff is gone, there won't be more stuff to replace it.  

You're a really really good sibling for looking out for his well-being.  He is very lucky to have you in his life.    I'm much younger, not quite retirement age.  I'm out of the house 12 hours a day, five days a week (which includes two hour commute to and two hour commute home) so I'm pretty much limited time-wise and pooped out by the weekend .  I made myself a pledge to carve out some time and stop looking at it as one big project and just tackle section by section. Wish me luck!!!

Edited by Koalagirl.

Share Post

10 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I made myself a pledge to carve out some time and stop looking at it as one big project and just tackle section by section. Wish me luck!!!

That's the best decision you can make.  So, absolutely - GOOD LUCK! 

If you need any suggestions, PM me.  I was an Administrative Assistant for my whole career.  After retiring the first time, I went back to the same large company as a contractor (short-term assignments), and gained a reputation as THE person to request if a department had lost an admin and needed someone to fill in until a new permanent person was hired.  I love cleaning out and organizing stuff, and several departments are VERY happy that I worked with them.  And the new permanent person was always happy because they didn't have to step into whatever mess and bad habits the prior person might have left.  

Share Post

I didn’t find her appealing.  I  actively disliked her from the get go.  I didn’t see a genuine person there, seemed she was acting a part or trying to appear normal.   Lol

I agree that the table will become cluttered and stay that way.  The organization system was good in theory but she will have a difficult time putting things away in the right basket.  It would have been better to have the doors solid wood.  

It will work for her because she has no need for a living room.  And she can swing and kick the clouds he he he he he he in two places.  Her laugh was annoying.   

@AZChristian, is there anyone else you could enlist to help with your brother?  Several of you doing an intervention of sorts but under the name of cleaning team?  Sounds like he is overwhelmed  it maybe appreciate someone just doing it.  

Share Post

7 minutes ago, Wings said:

@AZChristian, is there anyone else you could enlist to help with your brother?  Several of you doing an intervention of sorts but under the name of cleaning team?  Sounds like he is overwhelmed  it maybe appreciate someone just doing it.  

One of the problems with many hoarders is that they are very possessive about their stuff, and will not allow just anyone to "help" them.  Example:  He lives in a tiny apartment, but has two big "see-through drawers" units with nuts, bolts, nails, etc.  He also has two huge tool boxes full of tools that he has - and will - never use.  Hubby asked him why he needed so many and his response was, "I've spent years collecting them."  So we're going to take them to our house (we have a storage area) temporarily, and then push him to let go of 90% of them when the initial clean-up is done.  He used to be quite tidy, but then got into going to yard sales and thrift shops.  But now, he can't keep up with cleaning . . . even if his place weren't cluttered . . . so we HAVE to declutter - but carefully.

Share Post

Has he been a hoarder his entire life? 

Smart idea to offer storing them if that works. 

@AZChristian

Share Post

I like how when they asked her about other colors besides bright yellow she said "Pink!"  And then purple and orange.  I thought Nate and Jeremiah would die right then and there.  I think it would be helpful to educate people how you can have somewhat neutral walls and furniture, but then add color through art, pillows, etc., OR, Nate and Jeremiah could guide the client with color choices if they really want more color throughout.

Wonder what her kitchen looked like?  Auggh.  Loved the vessel sink in the master bath.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Has he been a hoarder his entire life? 

Smart idea to offer storing them if that works. 

@AZChristian

Not really.  When he was first divorced (over 30 years ago), he had a tidy apartment that was nicely (if inexpensively) decorated.  His ex-wife wasn't much on housekeeping.  The hoarding started when he developed going to yard sales and thrift stores as his Saturday habit.  We often joke that - considering he's an atheist - he probably has more Christmas decorations than the store room at the local mall.  

Share Post

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've always said this is one of the best perks of having someone come clean every two weeks - you don't get a chance to let stuff pile up.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Wings said:

It will work for her because she has no need for a living room.  And she can swing and kick the clouds he he he he he he in two places.  Her laugh was annoying.   

She had a seperate living room other than the office, it's where she relocated during most of the construction.

Share Post

On 5/6/2018 at 3:01 PM, doodlebug said:

Since the computers weren’t replaced, I doubt Nate and Jeremiah included any sort of plan to hide the various cords and cables that would have to be snaking across the floor to an outlet.

I hadn't thought of that, but they could have had an outlet placed under the table, with a hole for the cords to come through.
And if Jeremiah said "organic minimalism" one more time...
I pictured strewing animal shit on barebones furniture.

Share Post

She said she was a pharmacist/actress, whatever that is. I wondered why she needed three monitors. And I agree with the poster upthread: I couldn't stand her. She was so twee.

Share Post

13 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

She said she was a pharmacist/actress, whatever that is. I wondered why she needed three monitors. And I agree with the poster upthread: I couldn't stand her. She was so twee.

That was me and yes, twee is the perfect word!.  She appeared to be acting the cliche Asian woman, which I found odd.  

Share Post

Acting is her other job, so maybe that's the part that requires an office. It's possible she was auditioning a little with this show. too. 

Share Post

That woman is why I'm glad Nate and Jeremiah spend the client's money.  

That said - where is she supposed to put the soap when she's taking a shower?  Having a niche is not that exceptional or expensive a change.  And there are soft relaxing yellows and pinks and oranges.  They're usually on the inside edge of the color strips - the unsaturated colors.  Grey, white, and taupe are not the only wall colors.

Share Post

Couldn't stand Peggy. What the hell is a "pharma-tress" or whatever the eff she called herself? I love Nate, Jeremiah and Poppy; otherwise I would have skipped this episode completely.

Also, grow up. That swing fixation was stupid.

Share Post

I think this was my favorite episode so far.  This was a family that really needed help.  And I love how N&J worked so hard to make it a beautiful and functional house.

I have to jump back to the little people episode because I just caught it this weekend.  Oh my, it was my favorite episode too!  When the Mom walked in and she was literally, absolutely, speechless (and the husband said, "you said you weren't going to cry!"), I don't think I've ever seen such a raw, lovely, genuine reaction on reality t.v.  Cue the waterworks!

Share Post

So that shower niche looked really short width wise but super tall height wise, it really made no sense and why the heck did it cost $1000!?  Why were there giant rocks in the bathroom sink for the reveal?  Is that part of that Organic Minimalism bull that they were trying to create?  Also, her bedroom had hardwood floors but they pulled them up and painted the concrete instead??  That made no sense and that room needs a rug, those floors must be cold to walk on.  Agree with everyone that the table in the middle of the office made no sense and will be full of clutter in no time.  And also agree that that lady is a basket case and would not want her filling my prescriptions. 

Share Post

I guess it was for tall for bottles.
The cost may have been because some of the tiling and framing had to be changed, to get it added in after the wall was done.
And rugs and carpeting are out apparently.  Me and my dog are happy we're old, and have nice, comfy carpeting to walk on.

Share Post

22 minutes ago, AZ Curls said:

Also, her bedroom had hardwood floors but they pulled them up and painted the concrete instead??  That made no sense and that room needs a rug,

I deleted so I can't go back and see.   If it was hardwood that they removed there must have been good reason.  I have never seen that done.  It might have been laminate or so damaged it could not be refinished.  Anyone remember why?

Share Post

1 hour ago, Wings said:

I deleted so I can't go back and see.   If it was hardwood that they removed there must have been good reason.  I have never seen that done.  It might have been laminate or so damaged it could not be refinished.  Anyone remember why?

I thought they said they painted the hardwood but I don't understand doing that, either.

Share Post

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I thought they said they painted the hardwood but I don't understand doing that, either.

I looked online, the did paint a patern in shades of gray.  I find that odd too. 

Share Post

11 minutes ago, Wings said:

I looked online, the did paint a patern in shades of gray.  I find that odd too. 

Yeah, they specifically said they were painting the hardwood.  I don't see the point myself and would much prefer a patterned rug next to the bed.  Maybe the hardwood was in bad shape and painting it was cheaper than refinishing it?  I doubt it, but I suppose that might be the reason.  Problem is, if she doesn't like the design or the colors, sanding and refinishing that floor is going to be an ordeal.

I also do not understand why it would cost a thousand bucks to put a niche in a shower.

Share Post

16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Maybe the hardwood was in bad shape and painting it was cheaper than refinishing it?

Yes that was exactly the reason they gave.

Share Post

tonight's episode, where they did a gathering room in a youth homeless shelter, I didn't pay too much attention, but I was sad to see them cover the wall art, but I guess their point is to provide some "good design" to teach the youth that they are valuable. But before the reveal, they were standing in front of a large shelving unit, they were talking about the books being donated, that they could be taken by residents to their rooms for reading, that they were inspirational, blah, blah, blah, but all of the spines were turned to the back. I hope that is because they don't want to show and advertise which books are there not because it's a design feature to make all the books look the same. I personally hate when I read "design" tips and that is one of them. I love the colorfulness and the irregularity of books, that is the design feature I want to see, they are books, they have covers.

Share Post

10 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

tonight's episode, where they did a gathering room in a youth homeless shelter, I didn't pay too much attention, but I was sad to see them cover the wall art, but I guess their point is to provide some "good design" to teach the youth that they are valuable. But before the reveal, they were standing in front of a large shelving unit, they were talking about the books being donated, that they could be taken by residents to their rooms for reading, that they were inspirational, blah, blah, blah, but all of the spines were turned to the back. I hope that is because they don't want to show and advertise which books are there not because it's a design feature to make all the books look the same. I personally hate when I read "design" tips and that is one of them. I love the colorfulness and the irregularity of books, that is the design feature I want to see, they are books, they have covers.

I thought the same thing about the books. That always bugs me. I did think it might be just that they can't show the titles on camera for some reason (especially when they showed the single book on the table from the same angle). I doubt the staff will leave them that way since they're meant for the kids to read. Also not a fan of the framed art blocking parts of the shelves. I guess it looks neat if your shelves are just for looking at but not very practical if you want to be using the things on them.

Share Post

I was wondering about the books, too. Like was it copyright issues? How do you select a book if you can't see the title? The one guy said he saw books he wanted to read, so they must have turned them around for practicality.

What was up with the sketched horsies? I hated them they looked childish.

This is the first I'm really seeing of Nate's or Nate&Jeremiah's style. I've been watching this season because it's after Trading Spaces. I'm finding I don't care much for their style. It's classy for sure, but dull and lifeless to me. I would have liked to have seen some color in that room. Would homeless kids feel more comfortable coming into a place that is warm and inviting, or sophisticated and sterile? The space didn't seem welcoming or comfortable to me at all.

I also wonder about the comment Nate made about the style being timeless so they won't have to redo in ten years. I'm sure they will. At least a fresh coat of paint and probably new furniture. I live alone and a paint job doesn't last ten years (closer to three). And there's going to be a lot of wear and tear on that furniture. It's unrealistic to think "timeless style" (is there such a thing?) means "done forever."

Share Post

I jumped to the end, it didn’t interest me enough to watch the process.  Yes, the book spines were turned away from the camera for some production reason.  The place was very brown!  I heard the logic but there should have been some color.  It was very dull and reminiscent of a 1955 mens club. 

ETA.  I don’t care for their style either.  The Property Brothers have a style I love. 

Edited by Wings.

Share Post

I typically like their design but it felt like a furniture showroom not a functional space. I think puttimg the books spine side in is merely so the different colors of the book covers dont distract from the design when filming/photographing the space its common on design shows and design magazines, if you look closely in some of the 2 week later shots you can see they have been flipped. 

I was curious about the work that Jeremiah had done at Covenant Houses previously, turns out it was an Oprah sponsored project.

His story about living in his car made me wonder about hus upbringing, there have been several jokes about Nate's family but I can't remember them mentioning Jeremiah's family but I didnt watch the first season.

etb: A little googling made me see Jeremiah’s  “It Gets Better” video and apparently he was late realizing he was gay but his family was very supportive and they are in close.

Edited by biakbiak.

Share Post

I seem to recall in a design forum a conversation about books being page side out--Jo does it on Fixer Upper,  the consensus was there aren't any legal issues w/showing spines of books - it's just aesthetics.

I do agree w/biabiak - it is a cleaner look  to  have just the  white of the pages showing.  I've also seen  books all have the same dust jackets too.

As for Jeremiah, I  think he went to LA at 19 to follow his dream and probably didn't want help from family - or they refused to help because they wanred him to come back home.

Madonna did similar w/she went to NYC w/little   $ to follow her dream.

Edited by sheetmoss.

Share Post

Jeremiah wrote on one of his social media pages (can't remember which) that the books were turned in because of lack of clearance from the publishers to show the spines. In some quick final shots with the staff, the books appeared to be turned correctly.

Share Post

On 5/7/2018 at 1:37 PM, AZChristian said:

Not really.  When he was first divorced (over 30 years ago), he had a tidy apartment that was nicely (if inexpensively) decorated.  His ex-wife wasn't much on housekeeping.  The hoarding started when he developed going to yard sales and thrift stores as his Saturday habit.  We often joke that - considering he's an atheist - he probably has more Christmas decorations than the store room at the local mall.  

This is just a suggestion. Do you think he'd be open to a psychological evaluation? The hoarders I've encountered either had undiagnosed mental illnesses such as depression or anxiety.

Share Post

On 5/12/2018 at 11:13 PM, friendperidot said:

tonight's episode, where they did a gathering room in a youth homeless shelter, I didn't pay too much attention, but I was sad to see them cover the wall art,

Yes, it may not have been great art, but it might have been lovingly painted by someone.
I think the room turned out fine, but what really bothered me was the ceiling.  As a Mike Holmes fan, I was screaming at them to cover those light fixtures, and make sure there were no live wires.
A lot of times, drop ceilings are there to allow access to things to which access may be needed.  I'd like to think they had the wiring checked, but don't have a lot of faith that they did.

Edited by auntjess.

Share Post

9 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Yes, it may not have been great art, but it might have been lovingly painted by someone.

They specifically requested it be removed in their audition interview and than reiterated they wanted it gone when they met with Nate and Jeremiah before Nate and Jeremiah said anything.

Share Post

47 minutes ago, spunky said:

This is just a suggestion. Do you think he'd be open to a psychological evaluation? The hoarders I've encountered either had undiagnosed mental illnesses such as depression or anxiety.

I'm not sure that would help at this point. The collecting will not continue, as he no longer has transportation. And the doctor confirmed last week that he is exhibiting signs of dementia. We have to deal with today's reality now instead of historical behavior. Sigh.

Share Post

30 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They specifically requested it be removed in their audition interview and than reiterated they wanted it gone when they met with Nate and Jeremiah before Nate and Jeremiah said anything.

Yes, that was just those three people, wasn't it?  I'm just wondering if it had a history, and if the people in charge, wanted it gone.

Share Post

14 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Yes, that was just those three people, wasn't it?  I'm just wondering if it had a history, and if the people in charge, wanted it gone.

It was the wishes of the organization they were just representing them on the show. 

I used to work at a similar organization where a corporate donor partnered with Vern Yip to redo our community room and we did surveys with the people who used it to come up with our wishlist the number 2 requested item was getting rid of a horrible mural. It would not surprise me if they did something similar here.

Edited by biakbiak.

Share Post

I love these guys,  but it looked like a furniture store showroom.  Needed some warmth somehow.

And ONE FREAKIN' COLOR--like a bright yellow here and there.  Or a bright coral.  Or soft orange.  A pillow, a throw,  a spray of flowers. Maybe a big plant or two....I don't recall any plants.  

Share Post

I just fear the redesign isn't practical.  They said it was a 170 bed facility and movie night was really important to them.  You could see the large number of folding chairs stacked against the wall.  There is just no way the half dozen couches and armchairs provided adequate seating even if the residents were willing to rearrange them weekly.

The same thing goes for executive meetings.  Unless it was just for show we saw a large group of people meeting around 6 folding tables, the long conference table installed didn't look like it could accommodate everyone.

The design is great if the intention of Covenant House is to turn the room into a hang-out, conversation room (and they did call it a family room).  But the executive directors said it was mainly used for meetings, training sessions and movie night.  Those types of activities often require big open spaces and the need to continually move the big furniture seems impractical.

Share Post

I typically like their design but it felt like a furniture showroom not a functional space.

"Furniture showroom" is exactly the same thing I thought. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they covered up a big double-door exit to that room with one of the giant bookshelves. I wonder if that might make it inconvenient for getting in and out of there, depending on where you are. I was scanning the room to make sure there was still at least one other door (there was, at the side) but all I could think of was "fire hazard!"

Share Post