The Classic: Where in the 90s was Carmen Sandiego?

On 4/25/2017 at 5:24 PM, Twilight Man said:

Obviously this thread has surfaced due to the big news - REBOOT!!!

I loved the cartoon.

I loved the gameshow - DO IT ROCKAPELLA!!!  (I even watched the other gameshow.)

I even had several of the computer games (the original, the USA version (with special guest Lynne Thigpen), some weird grammar game).

I am so pumped that Carmen Sandiego is returning.  Now how about a live-action kids' movie already??

I'm ambivalent about the idea of a show from Carmen's point of view. I liked her mysterious and evil. Who wants to see her as a protagonist?

Share Post

On 4/30/2017 at 6:29 AM, Kromm said:

I'm ambivalent about the idea of a show from Carmen's point of view. I liked her mysterious and evil. Who wants to see her as a protagonist?

I tend to agree, Kromm, but I'll take a look and see how it goes.

Share Post

On 4/30/2017 at 5:29 AM, Kromm said:

Way late on the subject, but...

In every version of Carmen's backstory that I've seen, she was originally on the side of the law.  She was The ACME Detective; the absolute best, catching every criminal that came across her path.  She only turned to crime herself once she caught "everyone" and there was no more challenge or adventure for her in her detective work.   Becoming the master criminal and avoiding her old peers became her new challenge, and she rose to the top of that profession too.  That's where the player steps in.

So, a series about Carmen back in her ACME days would feature her as the protagonist.  And could be interesting.  It could be rather Holmesian, but with a female lead.  And this quote from the original Hollywood Reporter article about the reboot:

The fresh take is set to present an intimate look into Carmen's past to follow her escapades and also answer who in the world Carmen Sandiego is and why she became a super thief.

indicates that they may be going that route somewhat, likely with flashbacks.  Or possibly in the live-action movie linked with the new series.

Share Post