All Episodes Talk: Mel's Diner

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

Probably my favorite show ever growing up as a little kid in the late 70s/early 80s.  Watched every morning in the Summer.  Flo was the best but I always had a soft spot for Vera, too. 

Share Post

I noticed Logo is playing this for some reason. I remember it being funnier when I watched it as a child.

Share Post

I've been watching it a bit on LOGO and I agree, I don't remember it being so cheesy and over acted. I remember Lavin's over singing but I had forgotten about the acting. 

Share Post

Yeah, it totally sucks.  I can't believe I watched this show.  It's just... stupid!

Share Post

It's not good but somehow I always end up watching.

Linda Lavin was not funny, but loving Vera, Jolene and Flo. I have a feeling those three are the reasons the show lasted as long as it did.

I feel bad for all the actresses that had to kiss Mel during the show, he looks like his breath and body odor seemed like ass.

Edited by blaase.

Share Post

I recently caught the ep in which Mel's attitude towards the handicapped changed after getting trapped in the dinner in a wheelchair. I swear I've seen this plot on The Jeffersons...

Share Post

I've been watching this crap every morning on Logo. What I don't understand is why did a place as small and un busy as Mel's Diner need 3 full time waitresses who all work at the same time?  There's never more than 4-5 customers in there at one time and the waitresses are usually just standing around. 

When I used to watch this as a kid, I had such a crush on Mel. I always had crushes on the older guys when I was young. 

Edited by Maharincess.

Share Post

4 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I've been watching this crap every morning on Logo. What I don't understand is why did a place as small and un busy as Mel's Diner need 3 full time waitresses who all work at the same time?  There's never more than 4-5 customers in there at one time and the waitresses are usually just standing around. 

When I used to watch this as a kid, I had such a crush on Mel. I always had crushes on the older guys when I was young. 

But do you still have a crush on him? I find him attractive for some reason :-)

Share Post

1 hour ago, 17wheatthins said:

But do you still have a crush on him? I find him attractive for some reason :-)

Yeah, I do. There's just something sexy about him. I can't explain it but it's there. 

Share Post

4 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Yeah, I do. There's just something sexy about him. I can't explain it but it's there. 

Agreed. He has a charisma to him. 

Share Post

There was an episode where the gang met Telly Savalas and Mel dressed like him in the end and looked very hot.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

There was an episode where the gang met Telly Savalas and Mel dressed like him in the end and looked very hot.

Yes! And Telly Savalas was also weirdly attractive to me. I can't put my finger on it, but it's there.  And I was a child in the 70s LOL but I think these guys colored my preference for men: swarthy, strong, and confident. 

Share Post

On 11/15/2017 at 9:05 PM, Maharincess said:

Oh thank goodness. I thought it was just me who finds him sexy. Swarthy and a little alpha male. 

Share Post

On 12/3/2017 at 0:30 AM, janeyjay said:

Oh thank goodness. I thought it was just me who finds him sexy. Swarthy and a little alpha male. 

Count me in! I think Mel is hot too!  Watching as a young girl first run he was old and hairy , plus being my Father's age I didn't find him attractive at all. Now watching I'm like Hey Mel really isn't bad looking, sexy even! Love that he is so masculine, the voice and his gruff manner , but he is really sweet deep down which makes him really hot! I'm into the dark, swarthy type of men too! 

Share Post

Glad to see the show back on Antenna TV (and in a decent times lot). The Jay Leno episode was on Today,  my kids watched to see Jay in the day, Even with the cheesy fake backgrounds of the outside, the show was "realistic" in the way they lived, small apartments, no cars, the struggles. Too bad we can't have another resturant based show or Alice reboot, how many people work in the food service industry at some point in their lives? and there are so many good (funny and otherwise) stories to tell. 

Share Post

I've been rewatching the show... is it realistic to have three waitresses working the same shift where there are maybe only 5 customers in the diner?  I can only imagine that tips are slim.

Share Post

They all work from breakfast to dinner too. But I guess they have a lot if down time to rest.

Share Post

On 11/15/2017 at 7:05 PM, Maharincess said:

A man in uniform, lol! Actually, the guy who played Mel was a good looking man, I've seen him in other shows. 

I'm sure this has been said..I live I the Phoenix area. The opening scene of the outside of the diner with the huge coffee cup is a real place, on Grand Ave. My husband worked around the corner & we use to eat lunch there. In the mid 80's, they took advantage of being recognized & IIRC, changed their name to Mel's.  Watched the show the other day and they commented being on Bush Hwy, which is a 'highway' here but not near town at all.  Guess that's TV for you!

Edited by alegtostandon.

Share Post

On 5/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, alegtostandon said:

A man in uniform, lol! Actually, the guy who played Mel was a good looking man, I've seen him in other shows. 

I'm sure this has been said..I live I the Phoenix area. The opening scene of the outside of the diner with the huge coffee cup is a real place, on Grand Ave. My husband worked around the corner & we use to eat lunch there. In the mid 80's, they took advantage of being recognized & IIRC, changed their name to Mel's.  Watched the show the other day and they commented being on Bush Hwy, which is a 'highway' here but not near town at all.  Guess that's TV for you!

Thanks for posting this. Our family has to travel to Scottsdale for medical care often. It is such a long horrible hot  drive so I try and find a few fun things to do. I guess I will be visiting Mel's next month on our next trip. Has to be better then the trip we took to Amy's Baking company years ago!

Share Post

22 hours ago, silverspoons said:

Thanks for posting this. Our family has to travel to Scottsdale for medical care often. It is such a long horrible hot  drive so I try and find a few fun things to do. I guess I will be visiting Mel's next month on our next trip. Has to be better then the trip we took to Amy's Baking company years ago!

Just checked, Mel's is still there! I've not been over that way in years, I'm way on the west side.

Hope everything is ok, Silverspoons

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/restaurants/mels-diner-in-phoenix-serves-surprisingly-excellent-food-7376891

Edited by alegtostandon.

Share Post

The Antenna episodes are unedited. I love it. I have been recording the episodes on discs.

LOGO sucks. They chopped the hell outta the episodes.

Share Post