Why Alton Brown Is The Once And Future King of Food TV

I tuned into a rerun of Good Eats at like 2 AM one weekend and it turned out to be the pilot episode.

He just cooked a ribeye steak. Just steak, salt, and pepper.

And I was riveted.

Been a fan ever since.

His YT is great, too. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ARkXx1t5tI

I have made these, and they're amazing. Made one batch, it was immediately devoured, immediately made a second batch.

They didn't last the day.

Also, I love this video of him and Anthony Bourdain at a strip club. Brown's kind of a conservative, Christian dude (not in a judgy way, thankfully), and he looks incredibly uncomfortable for everything that it happening, yet completely game for anything that does happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45YjIVN92-0

Share Post

I was a huge fan of his on Good Eats. Like a lot of us, I discovered that show on a whim (it was the episode about Butter) and I was instantly hooked. I also loved the quirky cast (side note: for a good while I actually thought that was his real sister and nephew! I found out that his nemesis "W" was, in fact, his chiropractor...ha!)
His Turkey is the ONLY way I'll ever cook one. It's THAT perfect of a recipe.

After that show ended and his during his appearances on Iron Chef (US), I was happy to have AB on my tv (although I 100% blame that show for introducing us to the bare legs /orange crocs look (chefs Mario & Anne)-plus Mr. Arrogant, Bobby Flay.)

Then Cutthroat started. Oy.

I don't like his personality on that show. At all. I will laugh over some of the stunts they make the chefs do and I'm extremely sympathetic to the poor judges who have to eat the concoctions they end up making. I find "Evil AB" annoying and way out of character. I agree however..nobody else could host it.

Share Post

Cutthroat Kitchen will be front and center at the TV War Crimes Trial. Unwatchable. I tuned into this thing hoping Steph Izard will come out on top. But I'm wondering how anyone beats all three of the "esteemed" Iron Chefs. Especially in front of that one PR hack "judge" who judges former (?) client Bobby Flay. Please.

Share Post

Obviously, some of you are holding on to a far, distant memory of a more appealing Altin Brown from waaaay long ago when he was on Serious Eats. You've obviously missed the abrasive, snarky, arrogant, and self-impressed spectre that has haunted our screens for years now. Nasty, mean and not at all entertaining...he revels in being "evil," but it just comes across snotty and bitchy. It is pathetic watching Food Network try idiotic caper after caper to try and salvage this totally unlikable personality. Someone needs to take him off the stove and toss him. He is overdone and completely nauseating.

Share Post