S01.E17: The Ninth Seat 2017.04.19

8 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Then again, these guys walk around with a copy of their "Pax Americana" terrorist manifesto in their pockets...

And on the dashboard of their vehicle, clearly visible to passers-by...

Share Post

On 4/20/2017 at 9:35 AM, Happy Harpy said:

A nice filler.

Loved Linda Purl and her character (of course, it's the doomed one, sigh) and she looked very good. I was Wait, she's supposed to be older than Kirkman? It's so nice to see an actress in her sixties who doesn't look like a walking Botox commercial.

It was good to see Kirkman finally bang his fist on the table but why did he have to waste it with an inspiration speech afterwards? Just kick their ass and put the fear of Jack Bauer The President into them, FFS!

They seem to have a villain with Bowman.  But maybe by the end of the season he'll be drinking the Kirman Power of Love Kool-Aid.

Isn't Rob Morrow supposed to be a good actor? He was fractionally better in his scene with Hookstraten and Aaron, otherwise he speaks and I see William Shatner.

Unsurprisingly, my favorite scenes involved Aaron and Kimble. But didn't she say last week that she didn't particularly want to be Vice-President? I like that Emily is more of a hardball player but yes, I'd like Aaron to be less obliging. Nice scene with Reed Diamond's character for a moment I had the feeling that FBI and Politicians were actually living in the same universe [sarcasm]. I also like Seth and Emily as a team. I don't feel like the writers know where they're going, so I'd rather see more of those characters I enjoy.

I love Maggie Q and Malik Yoba but Mulder and Scully they aren't. And what a disappointment in the end. It's episode 17. Someone everybody knows and remembers should have been in that helicopter. Fail, show. Major fail.

This show doesn't dare. That's its other problem. The political intrigue can't be captivating if it stays at the level of My Little Poney, Friendship is Magic. It can't be a thriller if every reveal falls flat after much hyping. It's a pity.

Been ages since I've seen Linda Purl.  She looks great.

Share Post

Has Rob Morrow always squinted his lines?  His acting choices are making me wish he was the next one to get blown up.

Reed Diamond is looking more and more like Prince Charles these days. But, as a Homicide fan, he can do no wrong in my world.

I thought helicopter bad guy was Bowman too. Wish it was the ex President, New Secretary of State. That's a villain I could get behind.

Bowman is too cartoonishly eville. All he needs is a mustache to twirl. 

Share Post

Man, I didn't even realize till the end that Alex wasn't even in this episode, and that was because I was wondering if she would end up being in the helicopter.  Nothing against Natascha McElhone, but the entire First family really doesn't leave much of an impression.  I'm already more invested in Kirkman's friendship with Julia, and hoping she comes back again.  Her revealing that she had early on-set dementia was probably the best acted scene so far on this show (for both Linda Purl and Kiefer Sutherland.)

The partisan posturing over the Supreme Court Justices was better then last week's gun control debate, but I knew Kirkman would still find some way to work it all out.  Did love him finally losing his cool for a bit and yelling at everyone to sit their asses down.  I'm glad he's a reasonable guy, but I'm all for a little more aggression from him.

I understand why Emily wants to keep all her options open for Kirkman's VP, but playing around with Kimble and Aaron like that, is probably not a good idea.

Abe may be right, but he's such a dick about it, that I kind of enjoy watching him scramble.  I do think he's setting himself up for an early grave if he isn't careful.  I'm curious about the voice over the phone, because that sounded a lot like John Billingsley, and I'm hoping its him.

Hannah and Jason discover a cult in North Dakota, and that Lorenzo is still alive.  Hmm....

Share Post

10 hours ago, Diana Berry said:
On 4/20/2017 at 0:35 PM, Happy Harpy said:

Unsurprisingly, my favorite scenes involved Aaron and Kimble. But didn't she say last week that she didn't particularly want to be Vice-President? I like that Emily is more of a hardball player but yes, I'd like Aaron to be less obliging. Nice scene with Reed Diamond's character for a moment I had the feeling that FBI and Politicians were actually living in the same universe [sarcasm]. I also like Seth and Emily as a team. I don't feel like the writers know where they're going, so I'd rather see more of those characters I enjoy.

I love Maggie Q and Malik Yoba but Mulder and Scully they aren't. And what a disappointment in the end. It's episode 17. Someone everybody knows and remembers should have been in that helicopter. Fail, show. Major fail.

This show doesn't dare. That's its other problem. The political intrigue can't be captivating if it stays at the level of My Little Poney, Friendship is Magic. It can't be a thriller if every reveal falls flat after much hyping. It's a pity.

Been ages since I've seen Linda Purl.  She looks great.

I agree that Linda Purl looked great and I also enjoyed her role in this. I'm just a tad sad that it's to be a short one (at least it seems that way although they could show how her early onset dementia could interfere with her decision making process causing POTUS to have to kibosh something that she does because her judgement on it might be off). It seemed like a one and done guest role when her last words to him were something to the effect of 'remember me like this...or this way' (sorry I can't give you a verbatim). I think the role of her stepping in a a SCJ had potential and I loved the mutual respect that hers and Kirkmans characters portrayed. Opportunity missed? 

Share Post

10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I agree that Linda Purl looked great and I also enjoyed her role in this. I'm just a tad sad that it's to be a short one (at least it seems that way although they could show how her early onset dementia could interfere with her decision making process causing POTUS to have to kibosh something that she does because her judgement on it might be off). It seemed like a one and done guest role when her last words to him were something to the effect of 'remember me like this...or this way' (sorry I can't give you a verbatim). I think the role of her stepping in a a SCJ had potential and I loved the mutual respect that hers and Kirkmans characters portrayed. Opportunity missed? 

Is it too much to ask that it be a misdiagnosis?

Share Post

2 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Is it too much to ask that it be a misdiagnosis?

If this was House, you might get your wish.

Share Post

On April 20, 2017 at 8:02 AM, PreviouslyTV said:

Republican lawmakers hope to stop the president from appointing a ninth Supreme Court justice. Like that would ever happen.

. . . Wells and Atwood venture into the small, fictional town of Driggs, North Dakota to see what they can learn from interacting with the locals. What they find is a lot of out of state license plates, awkward conversation, and copies of a mysterious manifesto entitled Pax Americana. Learning that some kind of shindig is apparently going down at the missile silo, they quietly gatecrash the party and are just in time to see the guest of honor: the dreaded Catalan, who was supposedly killed on Acting President McLeish's orders while Kirkman was in surgery! So I guess we can amend the list of the late Vice President's accomplishments to zero. . . .

View the full article

Or it might be that MacLeish ordered Catalan's assasination knowing that his death would be faked; this makes more sense to me at this point.

On April 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM, piequinn35 said:

Bowman

mark_deklin_a_p.jpg

Catalan

CrWzvBqXYAA2W7C.jpg

Did you not know that they are bros, just kidding. :))

Why kid? If they're not bros, the casting is a ginormous red herring. I mean, would it be too shark jumpy if they were right wing brothers, with one working through political means, and the other more Waco?

Rob Morrow's acting didn't seem out of sync with the rest of the show to me, but maybe they are planning to off his character, so he's trying to channel the impending death?

Share Post

On 4/19/2017 at 11:01 PM, janeta said:

OK, so someone please remind me who NL is?

And i too am more interested with what's going on out in ND than the machinations in the oval.

I love the secret cult story in North Dakota. Hannah was shrewd in stealing the guidebook

Share Post

On 4/20/2017 at 0:11 PM, Princess Lucky said:

Definitely paranoia. I loved that detail, it told us a lot about Abe.

I thought of all 3 of them! I was expecting a huge reveal, so either Hookstraten or the FLOTUS would have worked, and then I also considered Bowman, whose strategic rise is a little too convenient. So the actual reveal was underwhelming.

Much like the episode itself. It was better than last week, because I found the Supreme Court issue a lot more interesting (and the solution was smart and fun), but still. Underwhelming. I thought the Abe scenes were all out of place, but I also thought, "Hey I'd watch that show! About a paranoid Rob Morrow chasing shadows!" And the Hannah/Jason Atwood scenes were fun but so jarring as cutaways to "boring" politics scenes.

This show is trying to be too many things at once. It's not just the number of storylines, it's the difference in tone. If you cut one episode in half (i.e. Politics vs Conspiracy with a side of Curmudgeonly Rob Morrow) you'd get 2 perfectly consistent 20-minute episodes of 2 very different shows. Hannah/Atwood and even Rob Morrow are working on an X-Files-lite show (down to Deep Throat, this week), and Kiefer is on The West Wing Lite. This can't go on. There is zero coherence at this point. Even the Al-Sakar storyline is old news to us viewers, but half of the characters don't know (I think). Something's gotta give.

I vote to keep the Conspiracy and Rob Morrow trying to crack it (at least that'd be entertaining to watch). The Politics side is lagging, save for Kiefer's acting. Aaron has been defanged, as has Hookstraten (kind of), Emily is competent but drama-free and Seth is hilarious but doesn't do much. I, like many here, want to like this show, but the writing is making it hard for me.

I think the politics part of the show is depressing. It's West Wing for dummies. The Supreme Court story was stolen from real life. No one brought up the consequences of a 4-4 court. It was ridiculous.

Seth is out of the Loup for a press secretary. I like Aaron & Hookstraten & Morrow.

Wouldn't the Pax Americana group be more suspicious of strangers driving up to the gate?

Share Post

They were suspicious of them driving up, but then Hannah asked them what they were going hunting for and the woman visibly relaxed. 

Share Post

Maybe it's just me but, while I appreciated the acting, I think the early-onset-dementia scene would have had more of an impact on me as a viewer if we had ever met Julia before. We didn't, did we, and I forgot?

Share Post

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, dbell1 said:

Reed Diamond is looking more and more like Prince Charles these days. But, as a Homicide fan, he can do no wrong in my world.

I'll watch anything with a "Homicide: Life on the Streets" cast member at least once. Darn good ensemble cast.

Share Post