Heartaches, Bromances, True Love and Team Arrow: the Relationships Thread

On 5/31/2018 at 8:37 PM, lemotomato said:

The 100th episode was a big juicy steak given to O/L fans that had subsisted on bones or starved for the better part of 3 seasons, so it’s going to sustain them for a while. 

LOL a big juicy steak of Olicity written flirtations.  I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing at LOLivers using that episode as it meaning something. 

When you have to use cues from the OTP of the show then you got nothing for LOLiver. 

Edited by EmilyBettFan.

Share Post

4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm guessing they had Caity to a chem test with Amell and they saw what I'm seeing.  I know they said they were making a point of doing that after the pilot was picked up but I can't remember if they did it with every new actor brought to the show.

I think after the KC/SA fiasco, they chem tested all the planned potential love interests. IIRC, Caity chem tested with Katrina Law before she was cast as Nyssa. 

Interestingly enough, according to EBR, the first time she met SA was on set right before they filmed the bit for 103. So technically they didn't do a chem test either. 

Edited by lemotomato.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I think after the KC/SA fiasco, they chem tested all the planned potential love interests. IIRC, Caity chem tested with Katrina Law before she was cast as Nyssa. 

Interestingly enough, according to EBR, the first time she met SA was on set right before they filmed the bit for 103. So technically they didn't do a chem test either. 

Didn't need it she's just too adorable 😍

Share Post

They weren't expecting Felicity to be a love interest for Oliver, just an easter egg, so they didn't need a chem test.

I believe that's what's known as serendipity.

Share Post

After they gambled and lost when they cast KC without chem testing her with SA first. It's funny how things work themselves out. I can't imagine the show without EBR.

Share Post

Speaking of season one I saw a clip of when Felicity met Oliver at the diner/cafe. 

He gave her this cute dorky little wave. Soooooo not what I expected from Oliver Queen. 

Share Post

9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Speaking of season one I saw a clip of when Felicity met Oliver at the diner/cafe. 

He gave her this cute dorky little wave. Soooooo not what I expected from Oliver Queen. 

Hee! I wrote a post about that a few weeks ago. I feel like that was an SA improvisation, like so many things in his scenes with Emily. He and Emily have both mentioned how much they add unscripted gestures into their scenes, and it felt like even before the writers decided to go all in on Olicity, Stephen was doing his part to nudge things along. I admit that I've watched very Olicity scene multiple (multiple) times, and most Lauriver scenes only once or twice if I can help it. But I honestly can't remember many times that he added cute little gestures to his scenes with Laurel. I'm not saying that he was intentionally tanking his scenes with KC, but he certainly wasn't making the kind of extra effort that he did in his scenes with Emily.

14 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Namely that Amell and Caity getting along in real life had a direct impact on my personal investment. 

I think this fits in the same pattern. For whatever reason, I think getting along in real life has a direct impact on his personal investment too. He's always at his best with people he really clicks with off screen. (Every time I see him and Josh Segarra together in real life, I understand why all their scenes crackled with energy.) I was at Dallas ComicCon during S2, and during his panel,  he gushed over Emily (naturally), but he also gushed over Caity and what a badass she was on and offscreen. It was obvious how much he liked and respected her. And in that one con where they did the panel together, they had great friendship chemistry, which really translated on screen. I was far too deep in my Olicity love to ship Oliver and Sara, but their brief relationship didn't bother me at all. They weren't the great loves of each other's lives, but I totally bought the reason why they sought comfort in each other. They had a warmth and underlying friendship to their scenes that made it work, and I agree that it was a direct result of how well they got along in real life.

Share Post

1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

For whatever reason, I think getting along in real life has a direct impact on his personal investment too. 

In a roundabout way, he confirmed this at a Con. During a panel he said when two actors are trying to sell this epic romance but the chemistry isn’t happen, chances are they aren’t friends off screen. 

I don’t think he realized the implications of that statement. 

Share Post

31 minutes ago, Chaser said:

In a roundabout way, he confirmed this at a Con. During a panel he said when two actors are trying to sell this epic romance but the chemistry isn’t happen, chances are they aren’t friends off screen. 

I mean... that's wrong*. Some of my most favourite romances in TV have starred people who don't get along. There were rumors about Teri Hatcher and Dean Caine not getting along, Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion hated each other to the point of tears but I never felt that with their characters. People talk about David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson never really being mates on set. You don't have to be friends to sell epic romance, chemistry isn't just about getting along off screen. It's often either there or it isn't.

What's important in building a rapport or a character relationship, I think, is professional respect. That might not translate into chemistry, but it will make scenes less painful to watch for viewers. You might not get along with someone outside of work, and that's usually fine, but you do have to be willing to put everything aside and come to comprimises to make the scene work. I think SA can tend to 'zone out' of some scenes when it comes to working with people he might not care to, and that makes me zone out of the scene. His acting has always been quite hit and miss with me, and it's evident that this is probably a big factor in it. He's not friends with the person off screen, so there's not going to be any chemistry, so what's the point? 

*To clarify it's Steve who's wrong not @Chaser

Share Post

3 hours ago, doesntworkonwood said:

Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion hated each other to the point of tears

Not in the early seasons. I think the bad feelings came along later when her popularity was as great or greater than his even though the show was named after his character.

Share Post

3 hours ago, doesntworkonwood said:

I mean... that's wrong*. Some of my most favourite romances in TV have starred people who don't get along. There were rumors about Teri Hatcher and Dean Caine not getting along, Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion hated each other to the point of tears but I never felt that with their characters. People talk about David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson never really being mates on set. You don't have to be friends to sell epic romance, chemistry isn't just about getting along off screen. It's often either there or it isn't.

It's probably a different level of acting that can wholly set aside real life issues but in the cases used as an example here, they at least started with a great chemistry.  In the case of TH and DC they had some ups and downs but I guess that doesn't seem out of line in with the kind of hours tv show episodes shoot and the kind of intense popularity they had for at least a time during their run.  (At least now they speak very warmly about each other)  Same thing with GA and DD.  (Plus they had the added tension of her being paid far less than him even well into the series) But nothing reached Castle levels of dysfunction thankfully.   (SA and EBR being BFFs really isn't like anything I've ever run across before so I'm going to call them the exception to the rule but I'm enjoying it.)

I remember GA talking about being surprised getting a call from DD when he'd eloped with his then wife (Tea Leoni) as a heads up so she wouldn't find out from the press and her commenting she didn't think they had that kind of relationship.  That they were work colleagues but hadn't really considered them close friends.  But that that wasn't a bad thing.   BUT in comparing the chemistry GA and DD had in the first run of X-files which I thought was great, it IMO does not compare to how great it was during the reboot of the series now that apparently they have grown into being close friends.  The mythology of the new series was not well written but anytime they put the two of them in scenes that let them play off of each other, they just crackled.  There was one episode where it was just them and they didn't even speak for like ten minutes and it wasn't needed.  It all played out on their faces and in their body language.    

So while I think yeah, a good actor could probably make it work with just about any other good actor, if there is a good relationship it's probably going to be that much better on screen.  

Share Post

Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson from Gilmore Girls also didn't like each other behind the scenes. 

Share Post

5 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson from Gilmore Girls also didn't like each other behind the scenes. 

From what I heard, they get along well enough off camera but she drove him nuts at least early on during takes always goofing around and laughing making things take longer I guess but that they seemed to figure out how to work well enough with each other in the long run.  I adore Lauren Graham and think she's hilarious during interviews but I think she would be exhausting to work with.  

Edited by BkWurm1.

Share Post

The Olicity relationship is interesting in that, it was clearly started by the natural chemistry of Stephen and Emily, in opposition (is that the right word?) of what was obviously supposed to be the OTP. While I think Laurel and Oliver had a lot of writing problems, the lack of chemistry between KC and SA is really what killed them, to me. Especially next to the natural chemistry between Stephen and Emily, and even Stephen and Caity. It really is something to see a show actually dump it’s designated OTP for a better one, and a big part of that was their chemistry, and the audiences strong reaction to it. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

For me, a dividing line is whether you ship them knowing it's not going to happen, or whether you think that if you just wait long enough and no one from the outside interferes, it's going to happen.

I saw a Lena/James fic the other day where in the comments section, someone rudely said why even bother writing this fic, it's obvious SuperCorp is the endgame. It seems like people believing Oliver is going to end up with Black Siren falls into the same category.

Hit the nail on the head.

People can ship anything they want but I feel that at some point if their reasoning is absurd (and sure they can still keep on shipping) other people are also free to point out that it is absurd.

I have a fondness for Raylicity that will never go away. I've even written a fic about it (haha much to everyone's horror). However you could not pay me to go to cons and ask BR, SA and EBR if Raylicity will happen in the future and people should be free to point out the flaws in my reasoning, if lord help me, I genuinely believed that Felicity is going to divorce Oliver and move to the Waverider so she can be with Ray cuz she only settled for Oliver for....reasons and really was planning to run off with Ray in the crossover. 

Edited by Mellowyellow.

Share Post

tumblr_opfq0hKQqj1trkp17o1_500.giftumblr_opfq0hKQqj1trkp17o2_500.giftumblr_opfq0hKQqj1trkp17o3_500.giftumblr_opfq0hKQqj1trkp17o4_500.gif

Happy International Kissing Day! I need more of this in my life in S7. I hope Beth and the writing staff do too.

Source

Share Post

8 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

tumblr_opfq0hKQqj1trkp17o1_500.giftumblr_opfq0hKQqj1trkp17o2_500.giftumblr_opfq0hKQqj1trkp17o3_500.giftumblr_opfq0hKQqj1trkp17o4_500.gif

Happy International Kissing Day! I need more of this in my life in S7. I hope Beth and the writing staff do too.

Source

Great post @KenyaJ ! Unpopular opinion time - this is my least favourite Olicity hook up, purely because I knew it wasn't going to end up well when I first watched it. The sense of foreboding lurked through the entire scene for me. However - dayumn it's hot to look at!

Share Post

It was my favorite due to the mix of playfulness, flirtiness, and hotness. But, in general, I love the "couple hooking up while broken up" trope. Plus, I always figured 520 was just a prelude to them getting back together, so the fact that they didn't get back together, so I didn't feel that sense of foreboding, though I understand it.

Share Post

I couldn't enjoy the post-coital cuddling for long because I was waiting for the shoe to drop but I agree knowing 520 would lead to them getting back together made watching everything else all good in my book.  :D

Share Post

I have no idea what your all talking about, this whole episode was just Olicity cuddles and adorableness. Thats it, nothing else went down, nope!

Share Post

I want to see more of that playfulness and flirtiness. We kinda got a glimpse of it in that episode where as soon as William was out the door, Oliver and Felicity enjoyed a long and sexy good morning kiss. They seem to have a healthy and fun sex life. I want to see some of it, goddamnit! :P

Share Post

23 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I want to see more of that playfulness and flirtiness. We kinda got a glimpse of it in that episode where as soon as William was out the door, Oliver and Felicity enjoyed a long and sexy good morning kiss. 

And when he offered to help her compartmentalize. Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

tumblr_p8jlo2BVh11upkpglo6_r1_540.gif

tumblr_p8jlo2BVh11upkpglo7_r1_540.gif

Share Post

William probably knew that them having a bit of a tiff would only lead to sexy times. No wonder he took off so fast.  No 12 year old wants to see that.  

Share Post

On 7/6/2018 at 9:52 PM, KenyaJ said:

And when he offered to help her compartmentalize. Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

tumblr_p8jlo2BVh11upkpglo6_r1_540.gif

tumblr_p8jlo2BVh11upkpglo7_r1_540.gif

I love that scene but the embrace in that bottom GIF looks a bit awkward. Oliver is such an eager beaver, Felicity looks properly smushed 😂

Share Post

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

That's my favorite part. 

Hee! Mine too. He looks like he's going to devour her, and it's so hot.

Share Post