S05.E11: James K's Story 2017.03.15

Every bad weigh in led to Lisa saying they'd follow the plan in the future. She never once said that she didn't know what to feed him. 

Share Post

We know they had a food list, and we know that at least Lisa was trying to follow it.  Remember when James wanted Chinese food, and she said, "But it has rice" (inferring he wasn't supposed to eat rice - probably because it's on the "carb' list).

And what was his reaction?  All together now, "But it's F-R-I-I-I-I-E-D" (like that made it okay).

You can't fix stupid.

Share Post

If James truly does regret his behavior on camera (which I doubt, but let's just say he really does for a second), then at least he's not trying to sell everyone on the "TLC just edited things to make me look bad" excuse.

However, I'm with the folks who think this is BS and he's not really trying.

Having said that, no one hopes he proves us all wrong more than I do.

Share Post

23 hours ago, vadare said:

Many is the time I have thought about "what would I do if I was the Nurse Ratchet in this situation"?

1.  Ship Leeeeesa off to one of those treatment facilities so she can begin to work on herself and her addiction to being abused, which is what I think might be going on with her.  Of course, this place is going to take her cell phone away (you'll see why in a minute).

2.  Hand Bailey a large stack of cash, a new cell phone, and a new identity and tell her to "run...just run!"

Then it would just be me and Sweat Baby James.

1.  Call every take-out restaurant within a 20-mile radius and tell them if they get a call from this phone number or to deliver to this address, they will not get paid for their services, so just don't come.

2.  Introduce myself to James.  Tell him that I am now in charge and he will be doing what I say.  (This is not to be cruel [not that I really care] but to establish with him that he is no longer in charge.)

3.  Anything he throws at me will be taken away from him.  I would imagine his cell phone and controller for his video games will be the first to go and I'm fine with that.

4.  He will eat what I hand him.  There will be no deviation from what I give him.  He can bitch and moan all he wants; either he eats what I give him or he goes hungry...it's that simple.

5.  He will be visited by therapists, both mental and physical.  He will participate fully and completely or he will suffer the consequences.

6.  Consequences will come in the form of food.  For every time he gets out of line, he will lose food portions.  I might cut up a chicken breast and start removing bites from his plate "this is for whining about xxx" and remove a bite of chicken and throw it away...in front of him.  (I know this seems particularly cruel and might not even be technically legal, but it's my daydream and he ain't the brightest crayon in the box, so he won't know how to deal with the legal part.  I figure if he's used food as a reward to himself all his life, this would make the consequences particularly harsh.)

7.  When he gets really out of line, I'll do something particularly cruel, like eat an entire bowl of pasta in front of him.

Am I missing something?

A livestream so those of us who can't be there can watch and laugh. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

A livestream so those of us who can't be there can watch and laugh. 

Oooo...you're a cruel sort.

I think I like you!  :-)

Share Post

I nominated this for the award.

Share Post

14 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Yay , Kentucky!

Please don't think this is a true reflection of Kentucky. Not all of us are toothless wonders with our own personal gravitational pull who eats friiiiied rice and wonders why we gain an extra human.

Share Post

Dear James outdid Penny, and that's saying something!

He may not be the largest human ever, but he's in the top 10 most selfish assholes alive, I am certain!  No redeeming qualities there.

Share Post

On 6/14/2017 at 8:40 AM, AZChristian said:

We know they had a food list, and we know that at least Lisa was trying to follow it.  Remember when James wanted Chinese food, and she said, "But it has rice" (inferring he wasn't supposed to eat rice - probably because it's on the "carb' list).

And what was his reaction?  All together now, "But it's F-R-I-I-I-I-E-D" (like that made it okay).

You can't fix stupid.

This is what I was going to say, even without a list of food to avoid anyone with 3 brain cells could deduce that fried rice is worse than regular rice, I never underserstood his logic. It's totally Dr. Now's fault, he probably only listed to avoid "rice" but said nothing about fried rice, you can see where James was misled. 

I call total BS, like I truly hope this story isn't even true, because if this physical therapist even remotely believes any of this stuff then I fear for the others in his care... maybe he lost his phone in one of James' fat rolls during a session, and when James (or Leesa) fished it out they made comments using the PT's emails/accounts. 

A few in the past have claimed they were given little guidance only to be disproven by other patients, I want to say even some not featured on the show, but I don't remember the source for that so I don't want to misrepresent, but regardless it seems they are given lots of education outside of what we actually see on tv.

Share Post

But why does Google think I need to see ads for gluten free S'mores materials while reading this thread? I heart all the glutens! And how inappropriate for a discussion about the morbidly obese! Now, if these S'mores were fried, we'd be talking. The list didn't say anything about FRIED S'mores...

Share Post

1 hour ago, leighroda said:

I call total BS, like I truly hope this story isn't even true, because if this physical therapist even remotely believes any of this stuff then I fear for the others in his care... maybe he lost his phone in one of James' fat rolls during a session, and when James (or Leesa) fished it out they made comments using the PT's emails/accounts. 

I took a couple of minutes to Google the physical therapist when he showed up on the episode.  This guy is the founder/president of a chain of PT offices.  What do you think the chances are that he's ever SEEN a patient in a long time . . . except - coincidentally - the guy with the TV cameras.  That whole scene was off.  And ending up with James with a look on his face as though he'd just won an iron-man triathlon because three people pushing, tugging, and bracing him, helped him to "succeed" in sitting up.  Poppycock.

Share Post

Ooh my god, the Ignorance on Display here. James and Leeeesa are two of the weakest people ever.

Share Post

At this point, if I were Dr. Now, I would make 3 or 4 episodes of My 600-Lb Life required viewing before you even think about entertaining the notion of packing up your stuff and moving to Houston.

• First, you have to watch the episodes about Christina.  She started out over 700 lbs. but that chick, God bless her, DID THE WORK.  She changed the diet, she started exercising, she went to therapy.  When she realized her husband only stuck around because, as long as she was immobile, he could control things, she divorced him. As a result, three years and several skin removal surgeries later, she looks amazing!  But I cannot stress enough...she did the work!!
  • Then, I'd make them watch either Pauline or Penny.  Yeah, they got the surgery, but if you get the surgery and refuse to do the work and you keep eating what you want and keep whining and making excuses, that's all the results you're going to get.  And part of that work is just the First 2 Steps of any 12-Step Recovery Program...recognizing that you are powerless over your problem and that you must relinquish control.  (Which we pretty much all agree was/is Pauline and Penny's major problem.) 
  • Then, I'd make them watch this episode.  If Dr. Now suspects that you aren't willing to do the simplest things to help yourself, he just won't bother with the surgery.

Then maybe...just maybe...others will see that gastric bypass is just a tool.  This still requires a lot of effort on your part.

But I can't imagine that anyone at this point who is appearing on the show and is going to see Dr. Now hasn't seen at least one episode.  But these are the 3 or 4 they need to see before they even show up for their first appointment.

(Wow!  This means James K. isn't so useless after all.  At least he can serve as a bad example.)

Share Post

Watching James again is really an ordeal.  His most uttered word is definitely "oowww" - with and without "mah laygs".   He actually makes the horrible delusional Penny (who I just watched before) look somewhat sane.  I started my viewing with James J who actually did pretty well, all downhill from there!

Lisa actually tells him that rice is on the list of what he can't eat.  "But it's FRAAYHD".  "It's still rice."  He is so nasty to her.

Share Post

On 3/25/2017 at 7:20 PM, aliya said:

Go Huskies! (PhD 2007)

Yay Huskies! (PhD 1999)

Share Post

On 6/16/2017 at 7:31 AM, vadare said:

(Wow!  This means James K. isn't so useless after all.  At least he can serve as a bad example.)

Good one, @vadare! Immediately reminded me of a favorite quote:  "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” (Catherine Aird)

Share Post

I've found the perfect solution to the bed making one look bigger than they are:

bed.jpg

Share Post