TBP Tip Line: Suggestions For Future Episodes

On 4/10/2018 at 1:53 PM, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Anyone know if any of the newsmags has done anything on Gary Wilensky? http://www.newsweek.com/little-cabin-horrors-193382

I don't recall any, but this would seem like prime Vanity Fair Confidential (ID) material if VF ever covered it in any detail.

I've been hearing a lot about the new memoir by one of his students. I look forward to reading it.

Share Post

It's sitting on my desk; I used to work with Piper. Was hoping to find an angle to get her on the pod. VF Confidential is a good place to start.

Share Post

Apparently, Battlestar Galatica's Grace Park is also caught up in it.

Edited by starri.

Share Post

So I started watching this new Marcia Clark/First 48 joint on A&E. First ep is on Chandra Levy and the second is Robert Blake. Looks like the Spreckles Mansion Murder will be covered this week. 

It is pretty good. I live in DC and feel like I know a lot about the Levy case (my bf/now husband lived two buildings down from Chandra when she disappeared and I was working on Capitol Hill during all this Condit drama) but I'm still learning quite a bit about the investigation that I was not aware of.

Share Post

When we finally get to the Katrina season of ACS, my suggestion for a Cold Case is an episode of the short-lived ABC series Final Witness from 2012.  I'm not sure if it would be difficult to track down, but there was an episode about the murder-suicide Zack Bowen and Addie Hall, who'd ridden out Katrina together.  There's a pretty good book written about it called Shake the Devil Off.  

Final Witness was, IIRC, essentially an ID series with much higher production values, but it as diverting enough.  What's even creepier is that one of the talking heads in the episode, a friend of Addie's, was arrested a few weeks after the episode was taped and eventually plead guilty to an entirely separate murder.

Share Post

13 hours ago, starri said:

When we finally get to the Katrina season of ACS, my suggestion for a Cold Case is an episode of the short-lived ABC series Final Witness from 2012.  I'm not sure if it would be difficult to track down, but there was an episode about the murder-suicide Zack Bowen and Addie Hall, who'd ridden out Katrina together.  There's a pretty good book written about it called Shake the Devil Off.  

Final Witness was, IIRC, essentially an ID series with much higher production values, but it as diverting enough.  What's even creepier is that one of the talking heads in the episode, a friend of Addie's, was arrested a few weeks after the episode was taped and eventually plead guilty to an entirely separate murder.

I remember this series! I don't think I caught all the episodes, but I definitely saw the Zack/Addie episode. And Shake the Devil Off has been on my TBR list for a long time.

The other cases I remember this show profiling are the Nina Reiser murder out in the Bay Area and the Christian Longo case in Oregon. Both of those are doozies.

Share Post

I dug around, and I did find the episode, but on Vimeo.  I swear I remember it being on iTunes back then, but that was a long time ago now.

The thing is done, Lovely Bones/Desperate Housewives-style with the actress playing Addie narrating the story, but their cast is pretty good.  They would always show actual photos of the people involved at the end of the episode, and they would get astonishingly close to the real thing.  Probably the best casting that I've seen for one of these reenactment shows.

ETA:  If you're not familiar with the case, Sarah, "murder-suicide" is REAAALLY underselling what happened.

Edited by starri.

Share Post

I know this isn't TV, but Sarah, have you seen this? I got it from Book Riot's Today in Books newsletter.

Publisher Claims To Know 1971 Plane Hijacker’s Identity

There’s only one still unsolved skyjacking in U.S. history: The identity of “D.B. Cooper” the man who hijacked a 1971 flight and parachuted out with $200,000. Carl Laurin’s publishing firm announced they cracked the case with a “memoir detailing the confessions of a longtime friend who supposedly committed the crime: Walter R. Reca, a former military paratrooper and intelligence operative.” (If reading about when plane hijackings were routine is your thing, you’ll probably be interested in The Skies Belong to Us: Love and Terror in the Golden Age of Hijacking by Brendan I. Koerner)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/05/17/a-new-d-b-cooper-suspect-yet-another-possible-identity-for-elusive-hijacker/?utm_campaign=Today in Books&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_term=.032c483a14f0

Share Post

I did see that, and read it while leaning on a boulder of salt (hee).

Share Post

How about Sante and Kenneth Kimes, the mother-son grifter team convicted of at least one murder and possibly responsible for others?  [Sante died in prison in 2014; Kenneth is still alive.]  There were at least two made-for-TV movies about the case.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sante_Kimes <---  as a start.  Her older son Kent Walker wrote a book "Son of a Grifter" about life with her which I've always wanted to read but could never get my hands on.

Share Post

Son Of A Grifter is a great read! Frustrating, but compelling. There are used copies on Amazon starting at a dollar.

Didn't Mary Tyler Moore play Sante or am I crazy?

Share Post

Mary Tyler Moore DID play Sante Kimes in the 2001 movie, with Jean Stapleton playing her victim, socialite Irene Silverman.   Talk about a powerhouse cast.  Thanks for the Amazon tip.

Share Post

Sarah, are you planning to discuss the Last Defense (7-parter on ABC, starts 6/12)? I'm really interested to see how they cover the Darlie Routier case. I have a whole lot of doubt about her guilt, in no small part because of this piece by Skip Hollandsworth.

Share Post

Possible prosecutorial misconduct in a murder case in Texas?  Knock me over with a feather.

Share Post

^ heh/sigh. @veronicamers, yep, it's on the list, though we might not get to it for a few weeks.

Share Post

I Tweeted it, but Season 5, ep 7 of Drunk History ("Drunk Mystery") covers D.B. Cooper. Agatha Christie, ,\and Circleville, OH... could make a fun Cold Case, should the week's main case require a palate cleanser.

Share Post

How about the Elizabeth Haysome case? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Haysom?wprov=sfti1

I remember watching the City Confidential episode (god, I miss that show. If anyone knows where I can find it please let me know) about her back in the day. And Hulu has a documentary about the case airing. I’ve never been 100% sure what to believe about it. I mean, I don’t believe her, but I don’t exactly believe him either. And what about the abuse she claimed. Was any of it true? Did she exaggerate an actually  abusive homelife to make it sound even worse to justify the murder? Was it all true and her brothers were lying? Or somehow didn’t know? Did she make all of it up? And if she did, why? If there wasn’t anything wrong at home why did she want them dead? For money? Because she’s a psychopath? Was it actually his idea? 

Share Post

Washington Post magazine did an interesting feature on this case in 2017 and doubts over the guilt of Jens Soering : https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/in-1985-a-gruesome-double-murder-rocked-virginia-was-the-wrong-man-convicted/2017/03/07/44c60742-e8b2-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?utm_term=.b30f297676fa 

And CC was the best! Paul Winfield is my second fave true crime property narrator after Peter Thomas.

Edited by veronicamers.

Share Post

5 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Ooh, good tip. (And I think you can find CCs on YouTube.)

I’ll try YouTube! God I loved City Confidential. It was the perfect mix of actually interesting cases and information (and I stand by the POV of examining how communities as a whole experience crime as a pretty good idea) and the best batshit crazy voice over ever heard. It was such a joy. To paraphrase MASTAS Enya episode, the thing was also the parody of the thing.  

Share Post