TBP Tip Line: Suggestions For Future Episodes

Hey, folks. If you'd like to hear us talk about a particular true-crime property, whether it's new/current or old-school, here's the place to leave suggestions. You can also email me, sarah at previously dot tv, or ping me on twitter at blotterpresents, with your topic wishlists. 

Share Post

I'd love to hear your thoughts on one of my favorite oldies but goodies, @Sarah D. Bunting - City Confidential. Many a weekend was wasted by me watching marathons of this show 'back in the day' - Paul Winfield was my guy, and as much as I love Keith David, I don't think the show ever recovered from Winfield's death. I loved the David "Stringbean" Atkinson episode on Nashville, that's probably my favorite one.

There's a Winfield-voice-clone doing a show on ID, and I watch it on the weekends whenever I can catch it!

Share Post

I'd love to hear what you think of Shadow of Truth. It's on Netflix, a 3 part series. It's subtitled so I don't see a lot of conversation about it but I think the approach is interesting and the crime is nightmare fuel.

Share Post

I looooooved City Confy! And have been meaning to look at Shadow Of Truth, too. 

ID's launching a Casey Anthony series 4/9, looks like. Any trainwrecky interest in that one? (I'll be watching regardless, because I'm a monster.)

Share Post

7 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

ID's launching a Casey Anthony series 4/9, looks like. Any trainwrecky interest in that one?

Oh hell yes!  (Said the personal who may be addicted to the ID channel).

Share Post

American Experience did an episode on Jim Jones several years ago that I found incredibly boring, so if you know of something else that goes in-depth on Jones but is more interesting I'd be happy to hear that.

Or, if you really like that AE, I'd love to hear why. 

Share Post

I think Witness to Jonestown is a really good one. Lots of interviews with survivors.

Share Post

A couple of excellent made for tv true crime miniseries/movies from back in the day: Cruel Doubt (starring Gwyneth and mom Blythe Danner) and Bitter Blood/In the Best of Families: Marriage, Pride & Madness starring Kelly McGillis and Harry Hamlin. I'm sort of obsessed with both of these cases as they went down in my home state of North Carolina and in the case of Bitter Blood, in my hometown.

I'd love to see you go down the American Justice rabbit role with two cases of yesteryear which in retrospect now seem a little less clear cut: Darlie Routier (Skip Hollandsworth had a great in-depth piece for Texas Monthly about how she may not actually be guilty) and the Haysom murders in Lynchburg, Virginia where the daughter Elizabeth Haysom and her boyfriend Jens Soering were found guilty. A lot of lingering doubts in that case as reported recently in the Washington Post Magazine: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/in-1985-a-gruesome-double-murder-rocked-virginia-was-the-wrong-man-convicted/2017/03/07/44c60742-e8b2-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?utm_term=.de8337c6a619

Share Post

If you can find me links to stream those eps, I'd be all over it!

Looks like we'll be digging into the Showtime docu, "Disgraced," next time.

Share Post

Where Is Robert Fisher on Amazon

The Most Hated Woman In America on Netflix (can't get netflix link at work, it's blocked).

Also ID shows that I am obsessed with: Fear They Neighbor, Web of Lies, and See No Evil
ETA: I specifically liked the Lake of Madness ep of Fear Thy Neighbor.  I like them all, but for some reason I really remember this one.  

Lastly, will we be seeing you at CrimeCon?

Share Post

Maybe! Although the world has simply got to stop agreeing with James Renner that he's an expert on anything. (hee)

Share Post

Episode 2 led me to google the Diane Whipple case, and I came across a Prisontalk forum with a woman claiming to be the girlfriend of Schneider from that case. Sooo much side-eye. 

So maybe an episode on the women who marry famous convicted criminals would be interesting? I remember reading the book on Richard Ramirez in high school and being fascinated with the story of his courtship and marriage from behind bars.

Share Post

@Sarah D. Bunting, I was delighted to discover The Staircase on my Aussie streaming service after hearing you rave about it on the EHG pod.  I'm about half way through, but would love to hear your thoughts on the case, especially in light of Peterson's Alford plea a couple of months ago.  Special bonus: the owl theory!!

Share Post

I don't know if it's too controversial (or too big) a topic for TBP, but there are plenty of documentaries about the September 11th attacks.

Share Post

Hmm. I don't think it's too controversial, but I hesitate to expand the mandate to include terrorism. However: there are some documentaries/properties about crimes adjacent/related to 9/11, like identity fraud, that might suit. I'll revisit it when the anniversary gets closer.

Looks like 006 will be looking at the L.A. riots; lots of docs coming out to commemorate the 25th anniversary.

Share Post

I'm watching the Casey Anthony specials now on ID.  If I had to pick a "favorite" person in that whole case, which sounds really weird, it would be the judge.  Belvin Perry managed to keep the courtroom focused on what happened to little Caylee and not on the media zoo outside.  It couldn't have been easy for him.  

Share Post

Hello! We're off this coming week, but here's what's coming up in June:

- E011: Kim Reed on Bill Cosby and Dr. Robert Neulander

- E012: Alex Collins on Menendez: Blood Brothers ("the Courtney Love one") and TBD

- E013: Eve Batey's back for a Jonestown special ep

In other news, if anyone watched James Ellroy's LA: City of Demons and can tell me/future guests whether or not to bother, I'd love to know. 

Thanks for listening!

Share Post

Oof, yeah, I saw that. If those crazy kids can't...wait, that's not how I want to put that at all. :/

Share Post

Ugh, Biography just punted both the Biggie and the Tupac specials to September (they had set airdates at the end of this month; wonder what happened). So much for E014. Any suggestions for the week of 6/26?

Share Post

45 minutes ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Ugh, Biography just punted both the Biggie and the Tupac specials to September (they had set airdates at the end of this month; wonder what happened). So much for E014. Any suggestions for the week of 6/26?

I can only think of things that have already aired, or may be too far in the summer, but here they are.  Other people may have better ideas.

Oklahoma City on PBS
America's War on Drugs on A&E
Manhunt: Unabomber on Discovery
Christine on Netflix

Share Post

@Sarah D. Bunting, it's a little older, but I've been intrigued by what I've heard about Audrie & Daisy. And grossly, there's stuff coming about Bill Cosby, but I'm not sure my shower gets hot enough to wash that crap away....

Share Post

If you don't mind covering British crime, there are documentaries on Harold Shipman and Fred & Rose West available online (there are almost certainly other documentaries about them, they both have high body counts). Both stories are pretty grim, even by the standards of the genre.

Share Post

Lol, true, I just included it since it's been discussed a lot in True Crime FB groups I'm in and/or help moderate.  That is why I put it at the bottom of my list, though. 

Share Post

Not quite sure whether a dramatic TV series based on true crime (closely enough that it was once banned in one Australian state to prevent tainting a jury) would count, but: Underbelly would be a ripe source for material if it did.

Share Post

For those of you wanting to watch ahead/along with Ep 13:

Jonestown: The Life And Death Of Peoples Temple 

Guyana Tragedy: The Story Of Jim Jones, starring Powers Boothe, Brad Dourif, Veronica Cartwright, and Ned Beatty as Congressman Ryan.

Share Post

Can we just take a moment with this poster for that Jonestown movie?

Guyana_Tragedy_movie_poster2.jpg

Share Post

Oh my hell, I didn't even see that. James Earl Jones is seriously in it for three minutes, too. 

And this is such a dumb thing, but: those aren't the cups they actually use in The Scene, but does anyone else who was a kid in the late '70s/early '80s remember that seriously every household had those acrylic ridgey cups in every size? Usually green, like those?

Share Post

Have you seen the ID series A Crime to Remember? The first three seasons are streaming on Hulu, and (particularly for ID) is very well done in pacing and production. It looks at crimes from further back than most, generally 1960s but some as early as the 30s.

ETA: The framing device of narration by someone "who was there" like a neighbor or friend is pointless, but I think the show is still better than many.

Edited by Naga. Reason: to add another comment

Share Post

Coming up on TBP:

- 7/19 Dan Patrick Brady returns for THE JURY SPEAKS and LIVE P.D.

- 7/26 Monty Ashley on two by Joe Berlinger, GONE (on Spike) and THE SYSTEM (coming to Sundance Now 7/27; available on YouTube now)

- 8/2 TBD and probably some Son Of Sam content

Share Post

This may have already come up, but in finding who Aphrodite Jones is after the most recent episode, I discovered that her book The Perfect Murder was turned into a movie on Lifetime, starring Treat Williams, called The Staircase Murders. It will surely be upsetting to see Dr. Andy Brown as a murderer, but a Staircase head-to-head could be interesting?

Share Post

...WOW. That is something to contemplate, for sure, and I definitely need to revisit The Staircase.

Share Post

A&E Network to Premiere Documentary Series "The Murder of Laci Peterson" on Tuesday, August 15 

Link

Share Post

Then there is the other Peterson Case - ID is doing a special event on Drew Peterson at the end of Aug. It reminds me of a true "dad joke" my dad told around the time of the two cases were in the news constantly. "The worse thing your daughter could tell you. Daddy I met a great guy he's a widower and his last name is Peterson."

Share Post

I don't know how we're going to choose amongst all the Lifetime-y movies made about both...so we might just not bother, because Kim Reed's back for our 8/16 ep and she'll be bringing some more Six Deg-Reeds (sorry, talk about a dad joke) Of Separation facts.

Upcoming sked, subject to some change:

8/9 Eve's back to talk Zodiac

8/16 Kim on Laci Peterson, hometown crime

8/23 Al Lowe onNatalee Holloway: Case Closed or whatever it's called

8/30 preview of Biggie Smalls docu on BIO with my Mark And Sarah Talk About Songs co-jefe, Mark Blankenship**

** I've been trying to find any crime-show segment about the murder of George Rose. No luck so far but if y'all know for sure that, say, 20/20 did a segment on his death, please leave me a link.

If you guys see any interesting (or so-bad-they're-good) shows coming up for fall, leave me a note here! I also welcome your suggestions for legendary vintage miniserieseses for Cold Case.

Share Post

I have a suggestion and a question; in reverse order, are you planning to watch American Vandal, which is dropping on Netflix on Friday? So far, I've heard good things about it, and I'm interested to see a good parody of the genre that I love so much. Probably not worth an entire segment on the podcast, but if you do watch it, I'd be interested in your take.

As far as a suggestion; SundanceTV is showing Cold Blooded: The Clutter Family Murders in November;

SundanceTV announced that its four-hour documentary series Cold Blooded: The Clutter Family Murders from Academy Award® nominee Joe Berlinger will air as a two-night special event on Sat., Nov. 18 and Sun., Nov. 19 starting at 9/8c. The series focuses on the infamous crime that shocked the nation and was chronicled in Truman Capote’s seminal book, In Cold Blood – the Nov. 15, 1959 brutal murder of four members of the Clutter family in their home in a small Kansas farming community, a crime seemingly without motive. An AMC Studios, RadicalMedia and Third Eye Motion Picture Company production, the true crime documentary takes a fresh in-depth look at the legendary case – digging into the resulting investigation, and the convictions and executions of Perry Smith and Richard Hickock

My mom, an Iowa raised farm girl, read Truman Capote's book around the time she got pregnant with me, while living alone in southern California when my dad was away in the service. She also read Rosemary's Baby when she was pregnant with me. Pretty sure this all explains a lot about how I turned out.

Share Post

hee hee! I was just thinking of doing an ICB episode...or rather, a Robert Blake ep, as suggested in another thread. So that would be a good pairing.

Share Post

Is "Partners in Crime" on US netflix?  It's on Australia and they had me at "Hello Kitty Murder" in the description of the first episode.  It's basically Forensic Files Asia, I've watched episodes from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore so far.  Episode 2, Season 1 in Taiwan was my favourite, I would watch a whole series of "Taiwan's most famous forensic pathologist" Dr Shau just busy bodying his way into solving murder investigations.  They do three cases in 25 minutes so they go through them at a serious clip.  Very bizarre cases some of them.  Anyway, just putting it out there. 

Share Post

Finally located the suggestions thread :)  Reposting:

I have a case suggestion.  How about Bonny Lee Bakley?  Her murder is still unsolved, but her widower (Robert Blake) was tried and acquitted.

Share Post