S28.E16: Kamp Krustier 2017.03.05

Bart and Lisa return home from Kamp Krustier early, interrupting Homer & Marge's romantic encounters; Bart & Lisa confront a source of trauma.

Share Post

Intro: Air Force One, followed by Putin on a winged horse

Billboard: This St. Patrick's Day, Kiss The Barney Stoned

Chalkboard: Our House Is Still The Only One With The Christmas Tree Up

Couch Gag: Pachinko! You a winner hahaha!

Apparently that trip to Tijuana didn't erase the scars from Kamp Krusty. At least, Lisa's were healed at the prospect of no school, and Bart faked his...until he started having them. If any Six Flags-esque theme park had front-of-the-line passes for people in therapy, I'd live there.

Really, did the writers not remember the original Kamp Krusty? It would've benefitted immensely if Sideshow Mel was a counselor. And I guess we should look forward too Kamp Krustiest in season 52.

So Homer being forced to go to work early because he was denied sex made him a model employee? And competent? And...normal?! How frightening. And OF COURSE Marge is the one that doesn't want it. Sigh. Also, it reminded me of that one episode of Seinfeld when the same thing happened to George.

"No means no. I looked it up in the dictionary."

The eye on the pyramid on the dollar bill showing up in the dark was a great sight gag.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

So Homer being forced to go to work early because he was denied sex made him a model employee? And competent? And...normal?! How frightening. And OF COURSE Marge is the one that doesn't want it. Sigh. Also, it reminded me of that one episode of Seinfeld when the same thing happened to George.

She always wants what she can't have. I'm sure she'll go right back to whining and nagging next week.

Share Post

While the episode title is 'Kamp Krustier', the camp itself is still called Kamp Krusty so the episode description supplied by Fox or whomever was a little off.

Also, it reminded me of that one episode of Seinfeld when the same thing happened to George.

It was pretty much exactly the same thing -- only George's girlfriend contracted mono (or thought she did) preventing all sex, and George became supersmart.  But was eventually undone by having sex with the Portuguese waitress.

The cameos by Michael Sheen and Lizzie Caplan were blink and you miss it -- and really didn't add much to the episode.
Though, seeing Moe as the next deviant for sex therapy was amusing.

@Galileo908 -- you're right, the writers basically completely forgot about the previous Kamp Krusty episode, which was both more awesome and a helluva lot more traumatic by comparison.  This seemed like a really weakly written retread of a much better episode.

Who was watching Maggie during the entire summer while Homer and Marge were banging ?  Was Maggie even in this episode (aside from the couch gag) ?

Booths at Klub Krusty:

• Mr. Teeny's Martinis
  • Sideshow Smell's Aromatherapy

What would be the point of having a Kids Klub at an Adult Retreat ?  That just seemed stupid.

I missed the first minute of the episode, but was the adult posing as a kid that faked his own death (Roger or whatever his name was) even seen on screen before Bart's first flashback -- and if he was a spy for a magazine, why was he still working at Klub Krusty as a masseuse.  It makes no sense.

Overall, I give this episode a D+ -- the writers were either phoning it in, or the interns wrote it.  Either way, it was not very good.

Share Post

I really felt that this episode was meh, only because it decided to "revisit" a much loved classic one (and seriously, why didn't they mentioned that trip to Tijuana?).  I did kind of like the Homer b-plot but that was about it and I also kind of liked the idea that Krusty would totally turn Kamp Krusty into a spa resort for adults (that is actually something that I totally would see him do). As with the b-plot it did remind me of that one Seinfeld episode where George didn't get sex and became smart- and it was nice to see how Homer's brain works (or at least a representation of how it worked). 

Share Post

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Overall, I give this episode a D+ -- the writers were either phoning it in, or the interns wrote it.  Either way, it was not very good.

Which is even more depressing since it was written by David Stern, the writer for the original Kamp Krusty episode.

Share Post

8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Which is even more depressing since it was written by David Stern, the writer for the original Kamp Krusty episode.

Man, that is depressing.  I guess he's slipped in the writing dept. -- after all it was over 24 years ago.  The first Kamp Krusty episode was back in Season 4.

ETA:  Finally saw the first minute or so that I initially missed -- and discovered this was a flashback episode to the events directly AFTER the first Kamp Krusty episode.  That makes the omission of the trip to Tijuana even worse -- they spent two weeks there AFTER Bart took over the camp, and that should have erased any traumatic events because it was so much fun.  This episode made it look like they went straight from Kamp Krusty back to Springfield.

And why was Flanders being such a dick ?  Calling the cops on Homer and Marge over a gong. WTF ?

So was Marge unaware that they went to Tijuana for 2 weeks -- because her comment that kids who just had a scary experience get therapy.  But the scary experience was over 2 weeks ago. 

When Krusty gets off the bus, he kind of glosses over the fact that Bart took over Kamp Krusty (it was on TV) -- Marge and Homer seem to be completely unaware that that even happened.

In the original episode, Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney were the camp counselors, and the kids brought down the big totem pole with ropes -- but in this episode, Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney pushed the totem pole over and the entire camp was set on fire.

Why would Bart attack tennis camp ?  Bart's rebellion was led by the fact that an ersatz Krusty showed up and the real Krusty was a no show, though he did release the kids from fat camp.

And Homer saying that he wondered if Bart had a mustache just seems stupid -- because they had just seen him on TV 2 weeks beforehand.  In fact it was breaking news that was called 'Krisis at Kamp Krusty'.  And the entire camp wasn't set on fire, just that effigy of Krusty.

In fact, Homer was getting in shape that summer, losing weight and getting some hair back, and as soon as he saw Bart had taken over Kamp Krusty on TV he lost what few hairs he had regained and his stomach went back to normal.  Homer and Marge were doing yoga in the living room watching a yoga program when they learned about Bart's rebellion at the camp.  

And when Bart lists off the reasons why Kamp Krusty was a nightmare in the original episode -- they fed us gruel, and they forced us to make wallets for export, and one of the campers was eaten by a bear (ok, it was really his hat, but it was a nice hat) -- there was no mention of any actual campers dying (especially named Charlie, I think I called him Roger in my original post, not that it matters).  

This episode basically takes a huge steaming dump on the original Kamp Krusty episode.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver.

Share Post

Finally saw the first minute or so that I initially missed -- and discovered this was a flashback episode to the events directly AFTER the first Kamp Krusty episode.  

I missed that too. I thought (and I wasn't really thinking about it too much) that for some reason they went back to Kamp Krusty another summer.

Really, did the writers not remember the original Kamp Krusty?

The entire staff needs to re-watch that episode when FXX has their every Simpsons marathon again. 

Was Maggie even in this episode (aside from the couch gag) ?

She was in the original one if I remember correctly.  Wasn't Homer doing pushups with her sitting on his stomach?

Share Post

Maggie was there wandering around. She pops up out of a KFC bucket. 

Share Post

14 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Wasn't Homer doing pushups with her sitting on his stomach?

Yes !! Homer was all about getting fit and de-stressing himself while the kids were at camp.

Share Post

The cameos by Michael Sheen and Lizzie Caplan were blink and you miss it -- and really didn't add much to the episode.

Yeah, I almost wish it had been Marvin Monroe they visited. I think he's still alive after being presumed dead at one point.

And I was excited when I realized this takes place after the first Kamp Krusty incident, but it didn't flow with what happened before so I thought maybe it was another summer; but having it confirmed as Option A makes me a bit sad. Especially after hearing it's the same writer. 

Just a weird episode all around. I love a good mystery, but this one was dumb.

Share Post

Homer was all about getting fit and de-stressing himself while the kids were at camp.

And, his hair grew back! 

Share Post

For a refresher, here's how the original Kamp Krusty episode ended.  Apparently, Bart and Lisa weren't traumatized by the cockfighting in Tijuana.

Share Post