All Episodes Talk: Objection, Pejorative!

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

So, I've gone back to marathon watching this series on dvd (I got the full series on sale a few years ago, in that very purty packaging).  And I find the first season to be the weakest; ironically, or rather, I 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 when Bellisario says in the first season special features how the first season was "the best." Whatever, Don. The show premiered shortly after the Tailhook scandal, I think, and I was never a fan of Andrea Thompson, but I really, really really loathed her character on this show and was so happy they scuttlebutted her off like so much trash.  I couldn't stand her harassment of Harm. I don't think he reciprocated, but he definitely gave me vibes that he was uncomfortable.  The show did get better halfway through the season when John M. Jackson joined as Admiral Chegwidden. Why the network brass preferred such a weak actress like Tracy Needham over the Awesome Andrea Parker, I'll never understand.

And since there isn't an Unpopular Thread here, I'll say this: I think the show still stands up pretty well. None of the gritty/edgy nonsense that seem to infiltrate or have to be mandatory in shows for the past decade or so. It's very interesting how they undercut real live footage of real people and the actual sitting presidents during this  show, such as Clinton, Bush, Powell, and even Princess Diana, yet when mention was made of "The First Lady," meaning Hillary Clinton in the pilot, they had an actress stand in for her, watching out the window. The actress was horrid, even if she didn't speak a single word. The look of fear and uncertainty as she watched her secretary or Chief of Staff, lead the characters played by Kevin Dunn, who was the JAG at the time and Commander Lindsey (W.K. Stratton) was so 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

And when the show was brought back on CBS after NBC cancelled it, the one thing I wish they had explained was what happened at the end of "Skeleton Crew" when John Ashford's asshole of an NCIS investigator, arrested Harm for Diane's murder and the last scene we have is him being taken away. I think they may have touched on it when the show revisited her murder, later in the second season, or maybe it was the third, when the real murderer was revealed.

Either way, I'm having a damned good time rewatching this and yes, swooning over the scrumptious David James Elliott as Harmon Rabb, Jr.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule.

Share Post

I think Tracy Needham got the role over Ms Parker for precisely the reason you stated. Harm had a superior officer sexually harassing him and although they were both Lieutenants Harm was a pay grade higher than Lt JG Austin and the hero wasn't going there until Mac came on at an equal rank. And more so in that era than today a young blond woman would be part of any cast.

Edited by Raja.

Share Post

13 hours ago, Raja said:

I think Tracy Needham got the role over Ms Parker for precisely the reason you stated. Harm had a superior officer sexually harassing him and although they were both Lieutenants Harm was a pay grade higher than Lt JG Austin and the hero wasn't going there until Mac came on at an equal rank. And more so in that era than today a young blond woman would be part of any cast.

Well, no. Not based on Bellisario's interview. Before they even went to film the first season, after the pilot was pitched, the network said no to keeping Andrea Parker in the series. And as for Catherine Bell as Mac, he hadn't planned that far ahead--plus, he didn't know that NBC would cancel the show after a season. And Catherine fought to be cast as Mac when CBS decided to pick it up--because she was cast in the finale as the murder victim, and Bellisario was all like "I can't cast you, because I just killed you in the season one finale!" But she persevered and convinced him to cast her as Mac.   And Andrea's character was of equal rank to Harm's. Andrea was the stronger actress.

I don't dislike Tracy, but she wasn't that strong of an actress. Doesn't matter, as it's all moot at this point. Once again, NBC was being stupid.

Share Post

Sounds like  the network wanted a little sister, able to have her own romances   and probably a cute blonde. Ms Parker as a possible love interest didn't leave Harmon as a free agent. The second network wanted the sexual tension among the leads and Mac was brought in.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

Sounds like  the network wanted a little sister, able to have her own romances   and probably a cute blonde. Ms Parker as a possible love interest didn't leave Harmon as a free agent. The second network wanted the sexual tension among the leads and Mac was brought in.

Except that Meg had feelings for Harm. Feelings that weren't sisterly.😜😆

As much as I loved this show, and I did, and continue to do so, Bellisario didn't endear himself to me by waiting until the last 15 minutes of the series finale for Mac and Harm to finally admit they were in love with each other and wanted to be together. 😡😡😡Of course, they did admit that sort of in the episodes filmed in Australia, though Harm wouldn't commit to Sarah. And again, in the clip show/Sarah's engagement to Mick episode.🙄🙄😆😆

If they had to give Harm a temporary/placeholder girlfriend, did it have to be Renee? 😒😒😒I couldn't STAND her. 😡😡And she was dumped in five minutes, too, in the ninth season, I believe. Or was it the last season? 😆😆😆😆

I liked Jordan the best.

Share Post

In the end Miss Parker got her career making role. And NBC got the cute blonde for the Uncle Ollie cameo

Share Post

Yes, she was fantastic in The Pretender.

And despite the idiot network, Bellisario brought her back for three more guest appearances.

Share Post

So I finally finished the marathon and all I can say is that THANK WHOEVER NIXED having an 11th season without DJE, and thought all the newbies and especially Chris Beetem's Vulchovic, was ANYWHERE near a comparable replacement for Harm. He was an unethical, self absorbed narcissistic arrogant asshole who was too in love with himself and only cared about winning.😒😒

While Harm was a bit of a chauvinist, he respected Kate, Meg and Mac, and cared about the Truth and Justice.

And I really hated how gullible and soft and weak they made Mac in the final season. They should have just had Harm and Mac get together at season's start, and have them juggle their personal and working relationship, instead of keeping both Harm and Mac APART.😡😒😡😒😡

So now going forward, I'm just going to watch the first nine seasons and the series finale.

And as much as I like David Andrews, he was a poor replacement for Jackson. I really wish the show had convinced him to stay if it was his decision to leave or wish they hadn't let him go if that's what they did!

I much prefer Tyner to Coates.

Share Post

You are reminding me of things I loved about this show, and things we missed because of life back in those years.  All I had to do was read the name Renee and it all came flooding back. 

And I think I'd rather watch this than most of what's on this season.

Share Post

52 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

You are reminding me of things I loved about this show, and things we missed because of life back in those years.  All I had to do was read the name Renee and it all came flooding back. 

And I think I'd rather watch this than most of what's on this season.

Yay!!! Someone to talk to about this show! Hi @enoughcats!!!

I LOATHED Renee. So come on, I wanna know what you thought! I'm thinking about creating a thread for Mac--she was kickass yet could be vulnerable, but the parade of men, okay, two, Mick and Webb, she got involved with and WHY just annoyed me, though it could be explained away due to her daddy, mommy and abandonment issues. I have to come up with an awesome title though.

Not for nothing, but I think it was Mac who resigned her commission because of all the unnecessary drrrraaaamaz they gave her in the last season--endometriosis and a less than 5% of conceiving and she did want babies. So, there you go. I don't mean to sound sexist, but she did want that. And the way David James Elliott said he knew who won but he wasn't telling--with that charming and roguish grin, I think it Harm didn't resign his commission. I'd like to think he's an Admiral now, and back at JAG, as the JAG. Full circle, so to speak!

Share Post

To this day there are 42 episodes that I can never rewatch...those with Mic. That hideously awful travesty of a character. I hated that the show runners shoved this moron in our faces so often before they finally axed him. The actor was appalling and however hard they tried, there was no chemistry at all between Mic and Mac..it was all so forced. Very rare for me to have such a strong reaction to a fictional character..but ye gods I still cheer that Mac was never permanently stuck with him.

Share Post

1 hour ago, PixiePaws1 said:

To this day there are 42 episodes that I can never rewatch...those with Mic. That hideously awful travesty of a character. I hated that the show runners shoved this moron in our faces so often before they finally axed him. The actor was appalling and however hard they tried, there was no chemistry at all between Mic and Mac..it was all so forced. Very rare for me to have such a strong reaction to a fictional character..but ye gods I still cheer that Mac was never permanently stuck with him.

Over on the granddaughter show NCIS New Orleans they just added a boyfriend to the "City Mouse" which seems has the same root as Mac being with Mic and Clayton Webb. You want your leads to be into each other but then you fear if you actually put them together you would break the magic

Share Post

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:54 AM, PixiePaws1 said:

I fully agree. He wasn't a good actor, but he was good looking so I guess Bellisario figured that's all the public would care about. Wrong

Share Post

On 1/16/2018 at 7:54 AM, PixiePaws1 said:

I watch them, but I just fast forward all of his scenes, except when Harm gets in his face or makes him look stupid.

Share Post

My problem would be that Commander Brumby was the first of the liason officers and the franchise fell in love with the concept 

Share Post