The Lighthouse: Castle Rock in the media

The cast for this looks amazing. I'm so tempted to watch, but I'm also easily creeped out, so not sure if I can commit to watching this regularly. I do love Andre Holland's work, though.

Share Post

A psychological-horror series set in the Stephen King multiverse, Castle Rock combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s best-loved works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland. The fictional Maine town of Castle Rock has figured prominently in King’s literary career: Cujo, The Dark Half, IT and Needful Things, as well as novella The Body and numerous short stories such as Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption are either set there or contain references to Castle Rock. Castle Rock is an original suspense/thriller — a first-of-its-kind reimagining that explores the themes and worlds uniting the entire King canon, while brushing up against some of his most iconic and beloved stories.

Share Post

On 7/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, 17wheatthins said:

Here's a neat article!

https://downeast.com/who-the-hell-stays-in-a-town-like-this/

I used their article title as our new Small Talk thread title because it is a very very good question: Who the Hell Stays in a Town Like This? LOL

Just peeking into this thread now. Great article. Thanks.  And great question. Even worse, who comes back to it!

Share Post

On 7/30/2018 at 6:20 PM, 17wheatthins said:

Here's a neat article!

https://downeast.com/who-the-hell-stays-in-a-town-like-this/

I used their article title as our new Small Talk thread title because it is a very very good question: Who the Hell Stays in a Town Like This? LOL

Chiming in to say thanks for the link to that neat little article. The illustration that goes with the article is hysterically funny! I'm just imagining what a great time the artist must have had creating it!

Share Post

On 8/9/2018 at 3:57 AM, Cheezwiz said:

Chiming in to say thanks for the link to that neat little article. The illustration that goes with the article is hysterically funny! I'm just imagining what a great time the artist must have had creating it!

Yes, it’s a great illustration. I wonder if it’s the original. It looks like maybe this one is cropped (in top left corner only half the figure shows? Could be intentional).

I see Carrie (girl in blood), Cujo (dog obviously), It (clown, balloon), The Shining (hotel, two girls on roof), Needful Things (store and proprietor), Pet Sematary (cat on headstone) or Cat’s Eye?

I’ve been meaning to ask, who is the cop, the woman with the machete, and the figure walking the dog (Salem’s Lot?)?  ETA: Kurt Barlow was the vampire's name. I had to look it up, it's been a while since I've read the book watched the miniseries.

Anyone see other references?’

Edited by ferjy. Reason: Added name.

Share Post

That could be it. I hadn't heard of that story. Good sleuthing! Or have you read the story?

I added Kurt Barlow's name to my post above. The vampire in Salem's Lot. That's probably him walking the dog.

Share Post

20 minutes ago, ferjy said:

That could be it. I hadn't heard of that story. Good sleuthing! Or have you read the story?

I added Kurt Barlow's name to my post above. The vampire in Salem's Lot. That's probably him walking the dog.

I read The Library Policeman AND Desperation, but until @calliope1975 mentioned it I had forgotten that story. Either one could be it. 

There is not much of King's work I haven't read, except for The Gunslinger books. I tried, but I could not get into them for some reason. 

Share Post

15 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I was thinking it could be the cop from Desperation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desperation_(novel)

That picture should have a caption. Who's the person in the tiny window?

I thought it was Jack Torrance in the window, since it's the Overlook Hotel, but it could certainly be someone else.

Share Post

18 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I thought it was Jack Torrance in the window

Ah yes. That makes sense.

Share Post

Policeman is probably Frank Dodd from The Dead Zone (serial killer cop that Johnny takes down midway through the book.) Gravestone references Church, so that's definitely Pet Semetary. Vampire is Salems Lot. Woman with the machete might be Annie Wilkes from Misery?

Share Post

1 hour ago, Jalyn said:

Policeman is probably Frank Dodd from The Dead Zone (serial killer cop that Johnny takes down midway through the book.) Gravestone references Church, so that's definitely Pet Semetary. Vampire is Salems Lot. Woman with the machete might be Annie Wilkes from Misery?

Ah, good ones! Completely forgot about Frank Dodd. I guess with the club the cop is holding in the drawing I thought it might be more specific, but then I think it's only British cops that don't carry guns and I doubt Stephen King would write in a British Bobby in Maine. :-D  It's most likely just artistic license.

Share Post

I came across this in an interview with Jane Levy.

Are you signed on for any more seasons of Castle Rock at the moment?
I am not, but I love the idea that, like in Stephen King's books, characters pop up here and there from other stories. Sam and Dusty have mentioned that they're planning on doing that with this series, and I would be more than happy to pop back in as Jackie. It sort of seems like that's her role in this town, is somebody who just pops up every once in a while.

Full article here:

https://www.gq.com/story/castle-rock-jane-levy-interview/amp

Yay, so Sam and Dusty are looking at having characters return. I really hope that Molly and Henry survive this season. I’d love to see them make appearances in subsequent seasons.

Share Post

The Stephen King Cast (a podcast with one man’s musing on the works of Stephen King”) ran an episode with one of the show runners. Among other things, he confirmed that Polly is not part of this continuity. Also, just a good podcast for King fans.

Edited by Jalyn.

Share Post

For those who are interested, two podcasts are doing a combined live episode today at 1 EDT to talk about the show, and specifically the ending...

Share Post

More claptrap about a lousy ending. No thank you.

Share Post