The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

Just now, UYI said:

Yep! I linked to that website too a few posts above, when I shared my country birthday number ones. :) 

Oops, sorry! Must have missed it.  :-)

Share Post

Looking at the lists posted, it's clear the early '00s are when I started losing interest in popular music; the '70s, '80s, and '90s songs I was all readily familiar with, but once the aughts got going and especially once I hit the teens, it was only about a 50/50 chance I'd even heard of the song.

Share Post

Okay, here's my list... with commentary.

1972 - Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan (Seriously? This is what I came into the world with. My mother wrote that 'Honky Cat' was the hit when I was born and I'm sticking with that.)

1973 - Touch Me in the Morning by Diana Ross (Okay, I can get down with Ms Ross)

1974 - The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace (Nanana nanana na NA na NA na naaaaa! Brother what a night it really was!! Glory be!)

1975 - Fallin' in Love by Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds (The harp was a big instrument for 70s love songs.)

1976 - Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee (Everything is magical and nothing hurts.)

1977 - Best of My Love by The Emotions (This is a struttin' song and there is nothing wrong with that)

1978 - Three Times a Lady by Commodores (Hey Lionel, we'll be seeing you again)

1979 - Good Times by Chic (YES. I saw them live a couple of years ago with Duran Duran and it was everything I could want and more.)

1980 - Magic by Olivia Newton-John (The best part about Xanadu, let's be real. Well, other than the roller skating.)

1981 - Endless Love by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie (Hey again, Lionel and Diana, you guys are great but this song and that movie... ugh!)

1982 - Eye of the Tiger by Survivor (The montage workout song titan!!)

1983 - Every Breath You Take by The Police (Everyone's favorite stalker song! Even at the tender age of 11 I knew this song was creepy af. The video is amazing, though.)

1984 - Ghostbusters by Ray Parker, Jr. (Ghostbusters owned the summer of '84. That and the Olympics.)

1985 - Shout by Tears for Fears (No complaints.)

1986 - Papa Don't Preach by Madonna (Nope, no complaints here either.)

1987 - Who's That Girl by Madonna (Or here.)

1988 - Roll With It by Steve Winwood (Ironically, it was around this time I started getting hard core into Classic Rock. I'll take John Barleycorn over this.)

1989 - Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx (Still the funniest Trivial Pursuit answer my friend ever gave.)

1990 - Vision of Love by Mariah Carey (I wasn't even listening to current shit on the radio by this time.)

1991 - (Everything I Do) I Do It for You by Bryan Adams (But I still loved Bryan Adams.)

1992 - End of the Road by Boyz II Men (You couldn't escape this song. Ever.)

1993 - Can't Help Falling in Love by UB40 (UB40 making Elvis into reggae? Into it.)

1994 - Stay (I Missed You) by Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories (Oh, yeah... this song existed. I vaguely recall...)

1995 - Waterfalls by TLC (Remember the CGI Waterfall TLC from the video? Creepy no?)

1996 - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix) by Los Del Rio (Oh God... everything is terrible.)

1997 - I'll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans featuring 112 (Oh hey, it's everyone's favorite stalker song again... remixed and reworded to be about dead people. Fitting?)

1998 - The Boy Is Mine by Brandy and Monica (People, I owned the Thriller album okay? This retread didn't make the 'fighting over someone' trope any better!)

1999 - Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera (I weirdly liked this one and judged myself for it.)

2000 - Incomplete by Sisqó (Huh?)

2001 - Fallin' by Alicia Keys (Alicia is fine but this is pretty much where hit songs fall completely off the radar for me. Also, get off my lawn.)

2002 - Dilemma by Nelly featuring Kelly Rowland (What?)

2003 - Crazy in Love by Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z (Oh... yeah, I mean this was another one you couldn't escape.)

2004 - Lean Back by Terror Squad (Um?)

2005 - We Belong Together by Mariah Carey (Oh, look, Mariah's back.)

2006 - London Bridge by Fergie (I remember Kids Incorporated. My sister loves Fergie which is why I know this exists.)

2007 - Beautiful Girls by Sean Kingston (::awkward silence::)

2008 - Disturbia by Rihanna (Oh, Rihanna! Hey! What up?)

2009 - I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas (This song owned the summer.)

2010 - Love the Way You Lie by Eminem featuring Rihanna (Hey, Rihanna again!)

2011 - Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO featuring Lauren Bennett and GoonRock (Everything about this line is somehow painful.)

2012 - Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen (Oh, THAT'S who Carly Rae Jepsen is!)

2013 - Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell (Everything is a nightmare. What is life, even?)

2014 - Rude by Magic! (Does the exclamation point show excitement? And emotion?)

2015 - Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd (Fanfic is the only reason I know about this.)

2016 - Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (I see 'Cheap Thrills' and immediately think Big Brother & the Holding Company and Janis Joplin. That's how into Classic Rock I was.)

2017 - Despacito by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber (I want to set all of this on fire.)

2018 - In My Feelings by Drake (Whatever.)

I wish I could transplant some of the top rock songs because at least I KNOW them. Yeah, current music? What is that? I don't know her.

Share Post

I can't hear "Macarena" without thinking about all the middle school dances I went to. Hell, they even played it at my senior prom in 2003. "Cotton-Eyed Joe" was another very popular one at school dances when I was a kid (why, I don't know), as was that "C'mon N' Ride It (The Train)" song.

3 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I wish I could transplant some of the top rock songs because at least I KNOW them. Yeah, current music? What is that? I don't know her.

I know most of the songs in your 2000s list, but the only ones I really like from it are "Crazy in Love", "Disturbia", and "Fallin'" (and that one's on my list, too, so yay). There is a lot of current music I do like, including some top 40 stuff, but yeah, a lot of those particular 2000s songs from your list are kinda "eh" to me. 

I also chuckled at your comments regarding "The Boy is Mine". Fair point :p. I do like that song, though-I was really into it when I was a teenager. 

And no shame in liking "Genie in a Bottle" :D. 

Share Post

This song just came out, and I reserve the right to change my mind later on, but I don't care. Right now, at this moment, this song SLAPS.

Share Post

Okay, haven't listened to the song but the screencap just looks like it takes place in a magic strip club.

Share Post

Why can't this girl enunciate? I started listening but couldn't understand a damn word she sings.

Share Post

I'll back away slowly now...

Just kidding. She's really grown on me. I know she has her flaws, but ever since Manchester two years ago I just want her to be happy. And honestly, I think she HAS gotten better at enunciation, at least on a lot of her more recent songs, like "No Tears Left to Cry", "God is a Woman", and "Breathin'" (which is WAY underrated, IMO). 

But mileage varies, of course.

Share Post

Brought to the front of my mind from hearing a remix track. I used to think that there were specific rules for remixes. Like, if you did this to a song, you called the remix that. But as I got older, I realised that no two remixes ever had the same title no matter what was done to them. Thankfully I never wasted my time trying to keep track or make sense of it all.

Share Post