S01.E13: Then and Now 2017.02.07

The Ottos' house is put up for sale, but Katie is the only one happy with the prospect of leaving Westport. 

Share Post

I think this was my favorite episode so far. The entire family was likable.

Share Post

Really silly question - I recognized the landlady, but couldn't think who the actress was.  I tried to look it up on imdb, but she wasn't listed in the cast.  It's one of those that will drive me crazy, and when someone says "It was ......." I am going to smack myself in the head!  

Any help?

Share Post

Thanks Aliconehead - that was driving me nuts too.

Oliver's Harry Potter phase was the best part of the episode. The robe and the tie, and then later the scarf, totally cracked me up.

Share Post

It's really become a good series. And I liked seeing more of an explanation why Katie is so tired of Westport; the notes on her car--that would make me pretty upset. And the resolution was sweet.  

Share Post

I liked this episode too.  This was true enough to life in CT for me to find it relatable, and all the characters were enjoyable too.

The "Norwalk Diner" they showed isn't a real place in Norwalk, CT unless I've missed something.  I wonder where the exterior was filmed.  It kind-of reminded me of the Post Road Diner inside, though.  That's in Norwalk on Connecticut Ave. near the Shop Rite and Best Buy.  I think Katie would be much happier in Norwalk but if she's concerned about schools, she's better off not moving as Norwalk schools aren't in the same league as Wesport's.  As long as the trade-off isn't that her kids become insufferable snobs....OK, it's just a sitcom and I'm probably getting way too deep with it.

Did the show ever say where the family lived before moving to Westport?  Because the older daughter's t-shirt said "Enfield" on it, which is a town in Northern CT, north of Hartford and just south of the Mass. border.  I can see them feeling out of place in Westport if they originally came from Enfield.  My boss is from Enfield, and I don't think he'd love Westport.  I also can understand wanting to move to Westport from Enfield for the school district.  Westport school district ranks #1 in CT, while Enfield doesn't even make the top 100.  I found out my town is in the top 10, (I don't have kids so I didn't know).

I just wonder why the rest of the family loves Westport while Katie doesn't.  I would have thought the kids would have difficulties fitting in.  Apple/tree and all.  But kids can be very different from parents.  Like the landlady is different from her son, LOL.  I find them both to be very believable as CT people.  I loved the way the mother hated the way the town had changed.   Very true to life.  Excellent, show.

Edited by Snarklepuss.

Share Post

I think Katie explained perfectly why she is tired of Westpoint. I mean after all that, I would have had it too. It's not like she has been having just a few questions about things here and there. However, constantly with the car and her just wanting the basics, that would drive me crazy too. I also agree with the kids, they have adopted this snobbish attitude and while a lot of it make sense. Especially at that age, I do however don't want the writers to go so far with oldest daughter and have her "stupid self" become a caricature over time. They can have her be great and other things and seriously? Not spell genius? I can think of "available" being more difficult.  I think the main problem when it comes down to it is the woman who owns the house and the way the son has gone about it. Because this episode might have given light what was going on in his house growing up and he isn't one of those people who: "Gets over it". He is very bitter about what his life has been all these years. He then gets a simple excuse thinking the Otto's were lying they had money and then decided to sell the house when he threaten to raise the rent on it. Then goes as far as trying to hide his mother's location so they couldn't find her. That is criminal and yes, he can be brought up on charges. I loved when the husband said: "Can we have that in writing." I agree plus add in: "In case of death, ownership goes to the Otto's and they can decide to either buy or sell off the property." This way, if they get into where they can purchase the house normal, they can. If not, they can just sell it off and stick it to the guy. Because really, he is my least favorite character. I hate characters who are bullies and they do it because "Life has been shit" when really, he had it pretty easy.

Share Post

If Greg's volunteer position at the school got him keys, why did it also not get him the alarm code? When would the school be closed and locked, but not alarmed? This puzzles me since they seem to have given him pointless keys. Also if he were worried about getting caught, if he wanted to have a pretend recycling-related reason for using his keys, don't bring the whole fam. I mean, I know it would've deprived us of the explanation of Anna Kat's Mission Impossible Walk, but it makes no sense to have keys you can't use without setting off an alarm.

Share Post

I also don't see how the son could have put the house up for sale in the first place if it was in his mother's name. Did he have power of attorney?

I just wonder why the rest of the family loves Westport while Katie doesn't. 

The kids have friends there now and Greg is geeking out on his recycling appointment. What I'm not clear on is whether Oliver became this obsessively conservative capitalist as a result of moving to Westport or not. He seemed to be a normal kid when they moved in, obsessed with Harry Potter. If Westport has turned him into this, that's kind of a negative, depending on how you view it.

Edited by iMonrey.

Share Post

I thought the best part of the episode was her husband finally telling her to think about what the rest of the family wanted and not just of continue to whine about how she doesn't like/fit in there. 

Share Post

50 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I also don't see how the son could have put the house up for sale in the first place if it was in his mother's name. Did he have power of attorney?

He told his mom that the Ottos were over Westport and were moving out and so she agreed to sell. When the Ottos went to talk to her she said something to that effect to them. 

Share Post

7 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

He told his mom that the Ottos were over Westport and were moving out and so she agreed to sell. When the Ottos went to talk to her she said something to that effect to them. 

Yeah, basically he just does his: "Come on mom, it's me!" And she did it, until the Ottos brought up everything she realized he was being an asshole and he still feels his life is: "poor me" even though he is 50, but he has no life. Let's face it, the way he believed just an episode ago that the Ottos had all this money and were lying to him and his mother. Yet, he goes the next step and tries to sell it. Most likely, she told him that the Ottos weren't rich and she knows it. Especially after the conversation they had when they met up with her. He thought it be better to just make up a lie that they were over everything. So, she figured that made more sense considering why they moved there to begin with. 

Share Post

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The kids have friends there now and Greg is geeking out on his recycling appointment. What I'm not clear on is whether Oliver became this obsessively conservative capitalist as a result of moving to Westport or not. He seemed to be a normal kid when they moved in, obsessed with Harry Potter. If Westport has turned him into this, that's kind of a negative, depending on how you view it.

Well, in Oliver's defense from what we've seen and also his birthday episode, he saw no one was into stuff like Harry Potter. Hell, we haven't seen anyone reading comics, playing video games and so forth. He made it this big secret about the maid and being friends with her because he didn't want other kids to know he was being nice and helping her out and vice versa because it would be embarrassing. He is the classic kid that gave up who he was, because no one else in Westport was like him or had any similar interests. So what did he do? He sold out. 

Share Post

On 2/9/2017 at 2:18 PM, momtoall said:

I thought the best part of the episode was her husband finally telling her to think about what the rest of the family wanted and not just of continue to whine about how she doesn't like/fit in there. 

What I liked most about that was that she didn't hesitate for a second.  She heard him, knew he was right and immediately was on board with fighting for the family to stay in Westport.

Share Post

On 2/11/2017 at 0:49 AM, pennben said:

What I liked most about that was that she didn't hesitate for a second.  She heard him, knew he was right and immediately was on board with fighting for the family to stay in Westport.

This was a really strong episode, and Greg confronting Katie with the truth was the best part of it.

Edited by Tiger.

Share Post

9 hours ago, teapot said:

Dead Scott's Mom on the original Beverly Hills, 90210!!

She's also Doug's mom in The King of Queens. 

Share Post

When the family pulled out the for sale sign and knocked it down, I loved that Oliver said, " you know the house is still for sale, right?" Because that was exactly what I was thinking!! I like this family.  But the fat housewife thing is old.  Katie is not fat!!!

Share Post

3 hours ago, Sgt Pepper said:

But the fat housewife thing is old.  Katie is not fat!!!

I believe Mixon is pregnant in real life and duento give birth this spring, so depending on when these episodes were shot she may be carrying baby weight.  

That said, she still doesnt look fat.  Some women are indeed fat, but others are indeed curvacious; IMHO there is a difference.  And Mixon, again IMHO, definitely falls into the later category, with exhibit A being her boobs in that lingerie in the most recent ep.

Share Post

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, Sgt Pepper said:

But the fat housewife thing is old.  Katie is not fat!!!

It's an exaggeration, but only slight.  Westport really is an obnoxious town.  I wouldn't move there for the schools.  There are plenty of quality towns with good schools in the area. 

Share Post

11 hours ago, Lemons said:

It's an exaggeration, but only slight.  Westport really is an obnoxious town.  I wouldn't move there for the schools.  There are plenty of quality towns with good schools in the area. 

Exactly - There are plenty of quality towns with good schools that aren't anywhere near that expensive and obnoxious to live in, either!

Share Post

On 2/18/2017 at 2:06 PM, Tiger said:

I believe Mixon is pregnant in real life and duento give birth this spring, so depending on when these episodes were shot she may be carrying baby weight.  

That said, she still doesnt look fat.  Some women are indeed fat, but others are indeed curvacious; IMHO there is a difference.  And Mixon, again IMHO, definitely falls into the later category, with exhibit A being her boobs in that lingerie in the most recent ep.

I agree, I mean I get tired of shows that are trying to put it down that either women or men are "fat" when really, that isn't fat, curvy yes. But I get that some towns are so bent on "looking thin" that they over exaggerate, but I would like that to come to an end. Like with the oldest daughter being "stupid" and the son being so smug at times. She isn't too stupid to get dressed or act like a normal kid. Spelling and a few things she lacks. However, she is street smart, but she lacks of thinking long term in her goals. 

Share Post

Since this is episode 13, I got the feeling that this was filmed as the season finale or even season finale if it doesnt get picked up for a full season. They still kept referring to her as the Second Fattest Housewife in Westport, which is what the show was supposed to be called until the last minute.

Share Post

On 2/14/2017 at 0:06 PM, teapot said:

Dead Scott's Mom on the original Beverly Hills, 90210!

THANK you!  It was bugging me where I knew her from!

Share Post