All Episodes Talk: Dan Curtis Did It First.

Here's an hour-long documentary about the making of Dark Shadows, and its cultural impact. Lots of Frid!

Share Post

I also liked the Johnny Depp movie for the most part, especially the train ride in the beginning set to the tune of Nights in White Satin.  The rest of it was uneven.  I wonder if they will do a sequel. 

Share Post

Best part of that awful movie:  Jonny Lee Miller as Roger Collins.  Glad Jonathan Frid was able to do the cameo, he passed away just a few months later.

Share Post

Just stopping by to mention that Previously.tv has Project Rewatch for shows that are now off the air or for past seasons over in the Misc. TV Talk section.   I think Sex and the City will be starting soon.  If anyone would like to do a rewatch on Dark Shadows--starting in any period, it doesn't have to be in the beginning, please express your interest.  I own the entire series so I'm onboard.

Edited by Collinwood.

Share Post

Thanks, Collinwood, for the suggestion. As much as I'd love to, I don't know that I could participate, not owning any of the show and it not airing at the moment. Great idea, however, and if you'd like to start a rewatch thread and have people comment as they like, that'd be fine. :)

Share Post

I will always remember as a child seeing a face in the fireplace fire and it scared the hell out of me.  I've seen a few episodes here and there, but I don't remember much except for the fireplace face.  One of these days, I should watch the show, just for fun.  I remember more the remake they did decades later, which last for one season.

Share Post

Alexandra Moltke was unhappy with her role for quite awhile and wasn't afraid to say so.  She wasn't let go until she told the producers she was pregnant. I'm not sure of the exact time between her pregnancy news and her last tape date.  The character of Quentin was created specifically because Jonathan Frid asked for relief from constant taping.  Frid went through a period where he was on just about every episode.

Share Post

Quentin was extremely popular.  His character had the same tragic quality as Barnabas.  I think it could be argued that he was as popular as Barnabas judging by fan mail and merchandise made with Quentin's picture.  A series of Dark Shadows novels also came out while the show was on that had the characters from the show but were not from the show storylines and many of them featured both Barnabas and Quentin.

Share Post

Yes, Barnabas will be traveling back to 1897 where Quentin is very much alive.   This storyline is about Quentin becoming a werewolf, complete with a fur covered Quentin stunt double who is a foot shorter than David Selby.  One of the best storylines of the whole show IMO.  In future storylines David will have another female friend to experience gothic horror with, Hallie Stokes, the niece of professor Stokes.

Share Post

Thanks Pete for letting us know about this.  I don't keep up with the cast the way I should.

Share Post

Yes, Quentin was a werewolf too.  Quentin was placed under a curse in 1897 by Magda because he left his wife Jenny who went mad.  Magda and Jenny were sisters.  The curse was placed not only on Quentin, but on his descendants.  What Magda did not realize is that Jenny had given birth to twins, one boy and one girl, she only knew about the boy who died.  Chris Jennings is a direct descendant of Quentin through his daughter with Jenny.  So Quentin is the original werewolf, not Chris.  And Chris is actually a member of the Collins family.

Share Post

Magda Rakosi is played by Grayson Hall wearing heavy dark makeup and a long black wig.  Thayer David plays her husband Sandor and he also has the dark makeup and black wig.  Julia Calls herself Julia Collins when she time travels to 1897.  Grayson Hall only played real members of the Collins family in 1840 Parallel Time (Julia Collins) and in the brief 1680 Parallel Time sequence (Constance Collins).    While there are some good websites for Dark Shadows, I really like having the reference books around.  Sure, I spent too much money on them and they take up a lot of space, but hey it's Dark Shadows.  I can say the same things about the DVDs too. 

Share Post

I've checked the reference books which I found most useful and found that most of them are out of print.  The Dark Shadows Program Guide is the book I use the most often.  It is a thin softcover that was published in 1995.  I don't know how long it's been OP, but the used copies I found look a little pricey to me.  The Dark Shadows 25th Anniversary Company by Kathryn Leigh Scott (softcover) is very useful and far less expensive used.  The Dark Shadows Almanac Millennium Edition is also very useful and available used.  None of these books are thick and heavy.  It's only when you start buying things like the Dark Shadows Collectibles Book, The Dark Shadows Music Book, the biographies and autobiographies of the actors that space and money start to disappear.  Oh and there are self published Concordances to all the storylines written by Kathleen Resch (I think she still sells them).  And if you still have space and money there are several volumes called Transcending Time which contain photocopies of all (or nearly all) the interviews and articles written about Dark Shadows while it was on the air.  Most of these articles are from magazines like Tiger Beat and they are a hoot.  Happy shopping.

Edited by Collinwood.

Share Post

I bought most of the guides when they came out. I haven't read them in years, but I thought they were so nicely put together, between the reference information, the photos, and some of the pieces the actors wrote. 

Magda was Grayson's favorite character. I loved her too, although as 1897 dragged on and on and on, Magda slowly became Gypsy Julia, with Grayson no longer trying to differentiate the characters. My favorite part of Magda's story was her trial. The whole thing felt so fresh for Dark Shadows. I really need to watch that again at some point.

Robert Costello, who was a producer for the first 900 or so episodes, recently passed away. KLS shared her thoughts on him.

http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com/2014/07/robert-costello-kathryn-leigh-scott.html

http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/robert-costello-1921-2014.html

Edited by Pete Martell.

Share Post

Clouds are starting to roll in this afternoon and it looks like we may have a storm.  Whenever we have weather like this, I think of DS.  Even back in the sixties I thought it was strange that there was so much thunder and lightning on the show but no one ever came inside looking wet or windblown.  Characters would put on heavy coats and lug umbrellas around but they never saw any actual weather other than rain on a window.  Also the show is set in Maine but we never see any snow covered scenery, in fact I can't even remember an episode in which snow was mentioned.

Share Post

They must have gotten some kind of a deal on the blue candles, but I didn't think they had blue candles in 1795. 

The blue candles and that damn polyester afghan always bugged me.

Share Post

I am watching this for the first time and I must admit I have enjoyed the Pre Barnabas/supernatural episodes a lot.  But I feel like there was a spooky otherworldly aspect from the beginning. Does anyone know just when they began crafting that element into the show?

Edited by funkopop.

Share Post

I seem to remember that it was about halfway through the first season - they were on the verge of being cancelled, so Dan Curtis said "what the hell - let's throw a ghost in there." The rest is history!

I don't recall whose ghost it was - maybe the Widow's Hill widows...

Share Post

I seem to remember that it was about halfway through the first season - they were on the verge of being cancelled, so Dan Curtis said "what the hell - let's throw a ghost in there." The rest is history!

I don't recall whose ghost it was - maybe the Widow's Hill widows...

I think it was Josette, and the quote was something like, "what the hell - we're already bombing." That also led to the Widows and the supernatural elements of Bill Malloy's death.

Share Post

I just started watching on hulu and the eps start with the Barnabas stuff. I am really enjoying this show. I don't remember my mom ever watching this soap, so this is really my first time seeing it. I did catch a few episodes on Sci Fi channel many years ago but I much prefer going in order with no commercials. I'll have to look around to find the episodes pre-Barnabas!

Share Post

They have quite a few episodes on YouTube and I have been binge watching so I can go to Hulu once I get to 210.  I'm on episode 62 right now, having found them all on YouTube.

Edited by Brenogan.

Share Post

Watch quick because they'll probably disappear. I watched them a couple of years ago there and then they were removed.

Share Post

I don't think the copywright holders care enough about the first 209 episodes to get them taken down.  I'd like a video with every one of the opening narrations beginning "My name is Victoria Winters".   All the episodes may be available at your local public library.   People keep watching this show.  This summer, June 27th, will be the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the show. 

Share Post

Been watching up to Season 11 on Hulu - where do people get the rest? 

I watched this as a child in 3rd grade - fortunately that seems to have been Seasons 9 and 10 or so.  I saw the air dates and was surprised.  I remember watching it but thought I must have been about 10 or so.  Anyway as a 3rd grader, I watched the 1795 story.  I remember Victoria being accused of being a witch and being hanged.  I may have continued through the summer and Fall as I remember Adam, but must have stopped soon after, as I don't remember Eve or Nicholas really.  

Share Post

3 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

Youtube, The Public Library, and some technically illegal sources.  Where I used to live, the public library had the series on VHS tapes, from about episode 200 on, then they replaced those with Dvds eventually, because the series is still so popular.  Then The Beginning series, the first 200, was released, and the whole series became available.  I think I watched about a thousand episodes.  I stopped watching when Quentin became the main character.  Victoria Winters was long gone. 

Share Post

59 minutes ago, atomationage said:

Youtube, The Public Library, and some technically illegal sources.  Where I used to live, the public library had the series on VHS tapes, from about episode 200 on, then they replaced those with Dvds eventually, because the series is still so popular.  Then The Beginning series, the first 200, was released, and the whole series became available.  I think I watched about a thousand episodes.  I stopped watching when Quentin became the main character.  Victoria Winters was long gone. 

Thanks!  

Share Post

I used to have every episode recorded on VHS from it's run on the Sci-Fi Channel (pre-Syfy days). I lost them in a move several years ago. Someday, but will have the money to replace them.

Share Post

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, Kim0820 said:

I watched this as a child in 3rd grade - fortunately that seems to have been Seasons 9 and 10 or so.  I saw the air dates and was surprised.  I remember watching it but thought I must have been about 10 or so.  Anyway as a 3rd grader, I watched the 1795 story.  I remember Victoria being accused of being a witch and being hanged.  I may have continued through the summer and Fall as I remember Adam, but must have stopped soon after, as I don't remember Eve or Nicholas really.  

Hulu added more seasons now. They do it so slowly. They have the rest of the Quentin/Beth ghost storyline and some of the 1897 story. 1897 was always my favorite.

Share Post

I am watching the Phoenix storyline right now. The only reason I'm not totally on Laura's side is because I know what happens. On the other hand, I am really disgusted with Liz because I know what happens with her, too. If I had watched this as it aired, I would dislike Liz even more. I think she is a snob who never liked Laura. I also think Roger is right. She does want possession of David because she's hung up on having a male heir, and she wants to push his mother out of his life. Considering that she thinks she has a dead body in the basement, that she knows full well that Roger killed that man, that she hasn't left the estate in almost 20 years, and that she's made a mess with her own daughter, her self-righteous attitude towards Laura is laughable. If she actually knew what was up with Laura, it would be one thing. She doesn't, though, so it's very telling that she wants to dictate his relationship with his mother. She hardly gives the boy a safe or stable home, either.

Carolyn, who couldn't care less about David, trying to insert herself into the situation because she's so jealous of Laura. She doesn't care what she does to a small child because of her obsession with Burke. She is just an awful person.

Vicky is a failure as a governess, too. Who gives a disturbed little boy a creepy picture of his mother engulfed in flames? All of these people are awful. No wonder David is bordering on sociopathy.

Edited by azshadowwalker.

Share Post

The Collinses of Collinsport definitely think they're better than everyone, and Carolyn is only a Stoddard anyway.   The beginning story was based on Jane Eyre.  I liked Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin. 

Share Post

I think Mitch did a good acting job,  especially considering how out of it be was at the time with his drinking.   I don't like Burke, though. Using Carolyn to get at her uncle is despicable. 

Edited by azshadowwalker.

Share Post

31 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Using Carolyn to get at her uncle is despicable. 

Roger was pretty despicable, but it wasn't Carolyn's fault.  I didn't like Anthony George as Mitch, but I thought he was good as Jeremiah.  That was a very weird time in the show.  I don't want to spoil you if you haven't seen the episodes before. 

Share Post

I did the DECADES "Quiz, which Dark Shadows character are you?" and I'm Dr. Julia Hoffman, according to that.   I recently acquired the first 108 episodes.  I wonder if DECADES is starting from the actual beginning episodes, or the beginning of Barnabas.

Share Post

On 7/6/2016 at 5:42 PM, atomationage said:

Roger was pretty despicable, but it wasn't Carolyn's fault.  I didn't like Anthony George as Mitch, but I thought he was good as Jeremiah.  That was a very weird time in the show.  I don't want to spoil you if you haven't seen the episodes before. 

I do not blame Carolyn for that, although I do blame her for being a general asshole. As for spoilage, I have seen every episode at least half a dozen times and used to have all of them recorded on VHS from the Sci-Fi run. I still weep that I lost those tapes when I couldn't afford storage fees anymore. 

Share Post

On 10/23/2016 at 0:51 PM, atomationage said:

I did the DECADES "Quiz, which Dark Shadows character are you?" and I'm Dr. Julia Hoffman, according to that.   I recently acquired the first 108 episodes.  I wonder if DECADES is starting from the actual beginning episodes, or the beginning of Barnabas.

From what I've read - albeit on Facebook, which is not the most reliable of sources - they'll start this time with episode 251, when Maggie was kidnapped by Barnabas. 

I'd like to see the 1795 episodes on Decades sometime. I think giving new viewers a look at Barnabas' background would attract even more viewers and more interest in the show. 

Share Post

According to Decades' website, they're playing the eps with Barnabus kidnapping and brainwashing Maggie and Sarah rescuing her.

Share Post

I turned on DECADES this morning, and they were showing a Meatloaf biographical movie starring W. Earl Brown. 

Share Post

@katie9918, thanks, I'll check it out again later.   I use Zap2it and they show nothing for Dark Shadows.  I guess DECADES isn't one of the channels they list. 

Share Post

I started watching at noon central time.  DECADES is channel 2.2 on the antenna tv in Chicagoland.  I'm having trouble with the reception, but they started out with Maggie Evans trying to stake Barnabas, then Willie is trying to save her, then Victoria comes over.  Then I lost reception.  It's like living with tv reception in 1967.

later

The first appearance of Sarah singing London Bridge is Falling Down to Maggie in her dungeon.  Then Sarah meeting David. 

Edited by atomationage. Reason: more later

Share Post

3 hours ago, katie9918 said:

According to Xfinity, it starts at 1:00 Eastern time.

It just started at 1:00 here and I'm in Seattle. I've got goose bumps, I'm so exited!

Share Post

OMG, this is when Elizabeth was going to marry Jason.  There's so much I've forgotten.  Caroline has her creepy motorcycle boyfriend/fiancee Buzz. 

Share Post

Doesn't DECADES always show the same episodes of DS? It always ends on the same episodes. I guess they only have ownership of the b/w and some of the color episodes. I wish they would air all the episodes. I don't get the Retro Channel and don't get to see the The Doctors. Nothing like old time soaps when they were at their peak.

Share Post