Famous in the Media

'Famous in Love': TV Review

"Thorne, beloved by 'the kids,' plays Paige Townsen, a young college student whose most distinctive trait is repeatedly telling people her last name is spelled without a 'd.' At the urging of her friend Cassie (Geogie Flores), who harbors a deep, dark secret that is hilariously lacking in deepness and darkness, Paige goes out for an audition for Locked, an adaptation of a popular YA literary series that is simultaneously wildly popular, critically revered and, based on what we see of it, entirely ridiculous. The consensus at the studio is that the cattle call is just a formality and a star (Niki Koss' Alexis) will get the part. But when star Rainer Devon (Carter Jenkins) sees Paige, he's instantly agog and her audition leads everybody, including Rainer's producer mom Nina (Perrey Reeves), to agree that she is the only person who can play the lead.

The pilot is structured around a 'one year later' framing device telling us that Paige will soon become hounded by the paparazzi and that fame will become, at least a little, a nightmare. That framing device doesn't return in the four other episodes I had the patience to watch. Instead of returning to the presaged nightmare of notoriety, Famous in Love generates its drama through crises like whether or not Paige will be able to act and also finish her econ midterm essay, since her professor dad thinks that education is important and following her dreams is not. I call that the Reverse Yentl."

Share Post

It was so obvious Bella was playing herself in this role.

Share Post

I liked Bella Thorne in a couple of things.  I have watched her Lifetime Movie The Perfect High a dozen times but that might have something to do with my affection for drug movies.  I tried to like this but sooooo not my thing but I am not sure if Bella Thorne is overly judged or just has very limited range.  Not that that can’t serve her well if she uses it to her advantage.  She wouldn’t be the first actor with limited range to make a living playing the same character over and over and over again.

Share Post

Why the backtracking on the cancellation? It's not like this was some highly praised show.

Share Post

I dont know what the point was of pretending it wasnt official after the story broke. 

Share Post