It's Your Inspector Lynley Mysteries Drinking Game!

Everytime you think maybe Havers/Lynley will snog/shag : CHUG, THEN BARF

Share Post

I had to give up on the books years ago. I couldn't even see the hair, but I could feel it being bad. Havers is even more miserable in the books, too.

Share Post

I love this!

Havers is supposed to be unattractive and careless about her appearance, which is fine on the page but maybe not so much on screen, especially considering the British penchant for super close ups with unforgiving lighting.

Even Lynley looked rather more disheveled than I imagined such a sophisticated and urbane character rightly should.

Share Post

Her hair does improve later in the series, but I didn't remember it being this bad in this way for this long. Like, I know she's a cop, and...you know, Havers, but jeez.

Share Post

I can't believe you're writing about this show! We were just watching it last night. My husband and I are powering our way through the whole show, thanks to DVDs from our local library. We just finished episode one of the 4th series (so I won't mention to him your "dead Helen" comment, as Helen is still very much alive to us [though I'm happy and relieved to hear she won't be for long]). My husband often struggles with the accents, since the DVDs don't have subtitles, but, otherwise, we're loving it. I also enjoyed Sharon Small on "Mistresses" ages ago. I feel like Lynley and Helen are one of those ficitonal couples you only know to be madly in love because the script says so; they have no chemistry whatsoever, unless it's some sort of natural repellent. I'd be thrilled if I never had to hear him whine about her again.

I'm always looking for shows like this. Last year I made it through every episode of "Midsomer Murders" available in the U.S., and am impatiently waiting for the next season to be released.

Share Post

Gah, I couldn't' get through two episodes of this show years ago. Having read a bunch of the books, I was beyond irritated by the casting for both Lynley and Havers. I really enjoyed Nathaniel Parker as Skimpole in Bleak House (2005), but his whole demeanor (not to mention look) is wrong, wrong wrong for Lynley. I always pictured him as looking Ralph Fiennes-ish. He would have been PERFECT (but I'm sure he was too big a star at the time to corral for a t.v. serial). Havers' casting: even more annoying. She's supposed to be a frizzy-haired, out-of-shape, frumpy type, so I was expecting to . . . see that? Not a delicate flower who, despite hair and makeup's best efforts, couldn't pull off "unattractive" on a bad day or a good one.

Harrumph. I'm still annoyed about it because I don't believe it'll ever be remade with better casting.

Share Post

Havers is *WAAAAAAY* worse in print. I am pretty sure it's stipulated somewhere that she was cutting her own hair, she wears t-shirts with terrible slogans on them constantly along with omnipresent red high-top trainers. I love her dearly, when the author isn't making her do infuriatingly dumb things, but she's definitely not this delicate looking.

And yeah, I just can't get past dark-haired Lynley.

Also, is that person in the flowery top supposed to be Helen?!?! That is 4000 types of wrong.

Share Post

I could never put Lynley on the "Wheel of Murder" because I just hated Helen so much -- in the books and the series -- it colors my opinion of the whole thing. However, I DO love Havers and have seen and enjoyed all Lynley episodes.

BUT, what I really am commenting about is this: Nathaniel Parker also appeared as Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Québec in the film adaption of Louise Penny's murder mystery novel "Still Life," set in rural Quebec. I mean, I guess he needed a paycheck and they were like, "you'll basically be the Canadian Lynley, what's not to love?!" BUT IT IS A TRAGEDY. Not only because Louise Penny's books are great, and not only because it's sad that they rolled this foine-ass man out for this cut-rate production, but just on it's own, it's terrible and, should you run across it on Netflix, should be avoided.

Edited by Al Lowe.

Share Post