All Episodes Talk: 12th Precinct Chatter

They had several short-term additions to the group over the years, who would last half a dozen episodes before being transferred out again. Linda Lavin was, I think, the best of those. She fit in so perfectly.

Share Post

17 hours ago, voiceover said:

IIRC, she had to climb up the check-in board to reach her mark.

I think that might have been Detective Batista, played by June Gable, but I'm not 100% positive. I guess we'll find out when they show her episodes again (3.8 & 3.12 according to IMDb). Linda Lavin had 6 episodes in season 2.

Share Post

9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Detective Batista, played by June Gable,

And later in life, June Gable became a familiar face (and voice!) on TV as Joey's chain-smoking agent Estelle, on Friends.

Share Post

On 10/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, shapeshifter said:

I think that might have been Detective Batista, played by June Gable, but I'm not 100% positive. I guess we'll find out when they show her episodes again (3.8 & 3.12 according to IMDb). Linda Lavin had 6 episodes in season 2.

Batista had to climb to check herself in as Levitt would move her name up after she left each evening.

Share Post

This Season 1 isn't quite M*A*S*H Season 1-awful, but I'm not a fan.  So much better when they dropped the outside stuff & focused on the squad room and the daily grind.

Share Post

5 hours ago, voiceover said:

This Season 1 isn't quite M*A*S*H Season 1-awful, but I'm not a fan.  So much better when they dropped the outside stuff & focused on the squad room and the daily grind.

Do you mean the scenes in Barney's apartment? I don't think there's more than a couple of episodes.
I absolutely cannot watch the two episodes in Wojo's apartment with his ex-prostitute girlfriend.
The episode in Fish's apartment is tolerable.

Share Post

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do you mean the scenes in Barney's apartment? I don't think there's more than a couple of episodes.

I haven't counted (I'll check ep descriptions at IMDb), but it feels like it's been at least 3 -- every 1st season ep shown so far-- and the only one that wasn't was an out-of-precinct stakeout featuring Match Game's Brett Somers as the Polish landlady who makes a Polish joke to Wojo.  In Polish.  (Actually, that was a funny moment -- in the "I can say it because I am one" way)

It all just feels a little broad.  And, though I love Barbara Barrie, and she & Hal are a nice onscreen couple, I'm already irritated by the number of phone calls Liz makes to the squad room.  Writer's fault.

At least the remotes should all go away soon.

Edited by voiceover.

Share Post

"Werewolf" was on tonight, and I was so totally charmed by it, as always.  Of course, most of it belongs to Jack Soo, but all the regulars play a part.

One of those eps that belong in a time capsule of TV's greatest.

Share Post

Obviously 1977, a good year.

"Abduction" featured David Clennon as the head of a cult/restaurant.  He would go on to greater things, notably Miles in thirtysomething, but here he was his usual sardonic hoot ("We deliver!") as a Jesus lookalike.

Share Post

This evening featured “Quo Vadis?”, where the squad gets word that Barney’s been shot (turns out to be a very minor injury).  

Only Liz turns up, because the hospital where he goes to be treated, has called her.  And she fears the worst.

The ensuing argument between the two is as emotional and wrenching a scene as there ever was in this series.  I always cry; I did tonight.

Share Post

On 10/19/2017 at 7:19 AM, shapeshifter said:

I absolutely cannot watch the two episodes in Wojo's apartment with his ex-prostitute girlfriend.
The episode in Fish's apartment is tolerable.

Beverly is busy.  One of my favorite Dietrich scenes.  I also like when Bernice explains how Fish feeds the pigeons.  He pelts them with stale bread.

All in all I prefer the in precinct stories, no need to leave the building.  The one with Brett Somers and the stakeout apartment was good. Barney stopping by Chano's apartment after Chano shoots the bank robbers, makes sense.  Barney and Liz at home? Meh.  Wojo at home? Unnecessary.  Even with Harris and Dietrich lived together, we could visualize it without seeing it.

Share Post

52 minutes ago, Lola16 said:

Barney stopping by Chano's apartment after Chano shoots the bank robbers, makes sense

That scene should be seen by all acting students, IMO.

Share Post

So I've been watching this on the Sundance Channel recently.  I was a bit too young to appreciate them when they first ran, being just a little kid, but I'm really enjoying them now, especially as a time capsule of the mid-to-late seventies and early eighties.  The early eps especially take you back to the whole "Ford To City: Drop Dead!" era.  At one point a character says something to the effect that "all the honest people need to move out of town and then we can wall it up and just turn the whole city into a prison."  Not that I'm claiming that was the direct inspiration for Escape From New York;  I'm sure it was a general sentiment at the time.  Just amusing in retrospect.  

I love Dietrich explaining the weird new concept of in vitro fertilization.

There's one ep, "The Sniper," where the B-plot - about a con-artist who's selling charter flights to Saturn - is clearly based on the group that later became the Heaven's Gate cult.  (They were in the news briefly at the time recruiting members.)  There's a line that's wince-inducing in retrospect.  They're asking the cult leader about their bodies being left behind on Earth while their spirits are whizzing off to Saturn and he breezily says, "Oh, they're biodegradable!" So they were.

Even though I didn't really appreciate it at the time, I did catch a few eps first-run.  I remember specifically the Agent Orange two-parter (first time I ever heard of AO), and the one where the grad student built the A-Bomb (watching it as an adult, so scientifically ridiculous!).  I've seen those again on Sundance.  But there's one I vaguely remember that I'd like to see again, and so far,  I haven't run across it in the reruns.  It involves a crank (of course!) who's earnestly explaining to a detective his plan to remake the United States by reducing the number of states to twelve (I think).  The detective asks, "What about New York?"  The crank responds NY is one of the states that's going to be eliminated and the detective responds dryly he doesn't like that, he lives there.  Obviously a bit wittier on the show - I was just a little kid and can't recall the actual repartee.  They cued the laugh track up after the line, so it was obviously (meant to be) funny.   Anyway, does this ring a bell for anyone?  I'll really love to see it again.  If it's in rotation I assume it'll turn up eventually, but I'd love to know which one it is ahead of time.

Edited by Wilbur Whateley. Reason: Removed a repetition.

Share Post

On 6/20/2016 at 9:06 PM, Jordan Baker said:

I recently watched an episode that took place entirely in Wojo's apartment. It was a two-person playlet about Wojo and a woman who moved in to his apartment. I take it that the woman had been a prostitute.

It seemed to be such a departure for the show, but then I had a vague memory of a Fish episode that took place in his apartment. (Or maybe I'm remembering the Fish spinoff.) Does anyone know?

I loved Wojo, and I did understand why he was thought to be studly back in the '70s. And I was really happy to see MG in the last season of "Mad Men," even though I didn't particularly like the episode in which he appeared. Still, it was great to see him again.

Only thirteen episodes ventured outside the station: “Ramon,” “Graft,” “The Stakeout,” “Hair,” “The Hero,” “Grand Hotel,” “Fish,” “Wojo’s Girl” part 2, “Contempt” parts 1 & 2, “Chinatown” parts 1 & 2, and “Eviction” parts 1 & 2. The first five were all in season one; “Fish” and “Wojo’s Girl” were backdoor pilots for spinoffs.

Also, Max Gail is currently on General Hospital.

On 12/30/2016 at 4:29 PM, Lola16 said:

“Rape” is where the series shows its age. Other episodes are timeless, some could easily be filmed today (racism, Middle East, Russia, etc.). But that one is certainly dated. Unfortunately, we haven't progressed far enough since then.

The characters of Marty Morrison and Darryl Driscoll are problematic, as is Wojo’s homophobia.

Share Post

23 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

The characters of Marty Morrison and Darryl Driscoll are problematic, as is Wojo’s homophobia.

Wojo's attitudes aren't presented as anything anybody approves of -- I can accept them (dramatically speaking) as a realistic part of the scene at that time and place (and Wojo having less awareness than the others is a pretty consistent ongoing theme -- as Harris says about him in the series finale, he improved so much over the years). But about Marty and Darryl, definitely true. They tried to bring the characters back in one later episode and do better by them, but they didn't get very far. The series seemed to have a wish to air certain social issues that weren't commonly seen in half-hour TV, without always knowing just how to do it. (The later arc of the closeted gay cop who did temp work for them was better, but didn't amount to much in the end.)

It's true of other series of the period, too. Looking at the newly (wonderfully!) available DVDs of one of my all-time favorites, Lou Grant, I can see the same phenomenon in their first season particularly. They were full of good intentions, but the results haven't always worn well.

Share Post

On 3/9/2018 at 12:30 PM, editorgrrl said:

Also, Max Gail is currently on General Hospital.

I don't watch that show but I was flipping channels yesterday and caught it and I was like, why does that guy look so familiar? 

I wish I could be watching Barney Miller but my antenna channel that shows it doesn't show it till 11:00 at night. Way past my bedtime.

Share Post

Just a moment of gratitude for this show.  Tonight's ep featured the man who...uh...made noises with his hands.  I laughed my ass off.

It was a welcome relief from the somber last 20 seconds of the This is Us finale.

Share Post

Another favorite ep: foggy night; Wojo surprising Dietrich (and us) by quoting Carl Sandburg; the elderly trumpet player who scared off the young musicians; Barney's funk over his 3rd time miss at DI.

Now I can really relate to Barney's monologue about his early days on the force -- and even more to his horrified stopping short with a "I sound like Luger!!" (Harris: "It's okay.  We've caught it in time.")

Share Post

Just watched the episode "DNA Story" last night and was very surprised to see it has a scene set in the squad room's bathroom! (A woman has locked herself in and Harris comes in to talk her into coming out.)   Amusingly, the shot's very carefully framed so that you don't see the commode. 

Is this the only time we see into the bathroom? I can't think of too many other circumstances where that would happen.  Makes me wonder if we ever see downstairs, even for a moment.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Wilbur Whateley said:

Amusingly, the shot's very carefully framed so that you don't see the commode.

Our dad (who directed TV commercials and such, in Chicago, and thereby knew a bit about the world of movie directors) mentioned to us often that that was an ironclad rule in the days when the Hollywood Code was strictly enforced -- no visible toilets, any time. That fizzled out during the 1960s, but I can imagine it lingering a decade or two longer in primetime TV. (Even in the 80s, when Hill Street Blues was breaking every taboo it could, it apparently ran into this one: I remember in one episode when women followed men into the men's restroom, and two men tried to gross them out and drive them away by pretending to be using urinals -- they were facing the camera which was looking over their shoulders at the other actors -- one actress was forced to say "What kind of bathroom is this? There aren't even any urinals!" so that delicate souls in their living rooms wouldn't have to imagine the guys actually peeing.)

According to Dad, the first movie to break the taboo was Divorce American Style with Dick Van Dyke and Debbie Reynolds; but that was just the first one we saw. There may have been earlier examples.

3 hours ago, Wilbur Whateley said:

Makes me wonder if we ever see downstairs, even for a moment.

My memory is that we never did. We saw into that bathroom that one time, a handful of other locations around the city (probably under 20 in all those seasons)... but never downstairs that I can recall.

Share Post

I always liked this show.  One channel carries an episode every day.  I catch it occasionally &  still holds up pretty well!

Share Post

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2014 at 7:34 PM, Oosala said:

I remember an episode with Deputy Inspector Frank Luger in it.  There was something about a mail order bride from the Philippines and Luger suggested that she "ooze on back to Luzon."  I don't know why but I remember that line to this day and still find it hilarious.

He does eventually marry his mail order bride.  I recall in the last episodes him mentioning that she wants to go sit in a heart shaped tub for their Honeymoon.  I vacation frequently in the Poconos, and the rooms always have those. That was the epitome of Honeymooning when I was younger, and while we couldn't afford to go to those resorts when we actually got married, we did for our 5th anniversary (and many more) and we love them for all of their cheesy tackiness.

Share Post

On 6/20/2018 at 2:10 PM, Rinaldo said:

We saw into that bathroom that one time

And it was of the best moments of the series for Ron Glass's Harris.  He spent time in there with Kay Medford (whose character was convinced her husband of many years had been replaced by a different man), listening to her mourn the changes wrought by time on relationships, and gently encouraging her to give her husband another chance.  

It was bittersweet and moving and a tour de force for Glass.  You could see in that scene, what made Ron Harris a great cop.

Speaking of -- tonight was the ep where he shaved the 'stache for mugger-bait drag duty.  And in the face of his fellow cops' open admiration, says, "I wanna look good...not *better*!"

Share Post