Laura Petrie: ohhh Rob!

Laura was the country's introduction to Mary Tyler Moore, and much of the country fell in love with her. The flip, the Capri pants, the funny cry, and an unusually "real" way of talking and behaving compared to other TV housewives of the time. I can very well believe that after she did her first reading, Carl Reiner grabbed her and took her around to all the writers' offices, shouting "Listen to this girl! She says 'hello' like a person!"

Share Post

She was so lovely.  She had sophistication matched with approachability.  Such a good find by Carl Reiner and Danny Thomas.  The latter remembered her from a an audition for the role of his TV daughter, which she failed because her nose was too dainty.  :-)

Share Post

Don't know how I manage to remember this, but Time magazine described her in a review of the show during its original run as "a delicious-looking girl." Typical early 60's, huh? (I must agree, she was.)

Edited by torqy.

Share Post

I have been watching the series on Netflicks and noticed an interesting fact. She is called Laura and Lauri alternately in the first few  episodes. Just as if they couldn't decide on her name.

Share Post

Laurie would be a nickname for Laura, which was her official name. (I seem to remember that only Rob ever addressed her as Laurie, if it was their private pet name such as couples sometimes have.) But it's true, they decided rather quickly that no nicknaming was needed and she would stay consistently Laura.

Share Post

I think there was also some confusion as to Laura's maiden name, I remember hearing it as Meeker in some episodes and Meehan in others?  I think it mainly came up when the in-laws would visit so not very often.  I think they settled on Meehan but I could be wrong about that.

Share Post

Yes, Meehan was eventually her maiden name but they did start with Meeker. She was married to Richard Meeker when the series started, and after they divorced, it was decided not to use that name for her family on the show. Such is the story anyway.

Share Post

Oh, that's interesting Rinaldo, never heard that story before.  Thanks

Share Post

On 10/22/2015 at 6:43 PM, Rinaldo said:

Laurie would be a nickname for Laura, which was her official name. (I seem to remember that only Rob ever addressed her as Laurie, if it was their private pet name such as couples sometimes have.) But it's true, they decided rather quickly that no nicknaming was needed and she would stay consistently Laura.

There are some episodes throughout the series when other people call her Laurie. It's just a natural nickname. My sister's name is Laura, and random people throughout her life have called her "Lauraloo" or "Lauralee" and other names. Laurie is just another of those.

Share Post