Jump to content

S01.E04: A Leader Emerges 2016.12.20

I allowed enough time to make a chicken salad sandwich. And refill my sweet tea.  

I'm interested in all Fundies. They all think they are the chosen few. Everyone else will burn. From Duggers to Sisterwives and Amish. I just need to know why they think the way they do. This CO$ tho...off the fuckin rails!

My elderly parents live in my home and my Dad called me on the intercom to bitch about Leah's nails. LOL! 

24

Share Post


Link to post

Hysterical! Re nails

Ex scientologist message board. There is a lot of information there.  Didn't know LRH was also a sexual predator.  Not surprised though.  

3

Share Post


Link to post
5 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I haven't finished watching this week's episode, but I need to be a bit shallow for a moment.  Leah look GORGEOUS in the navy dress she was wearing!! 

I just wish her lips didn't look so weird.

6

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Carolina Girl said:

Actually, Hubbard did NOT pick Miscavage.  If the facts as stated in "Going Clear" are correct, he picked a husband and wife team, Pat and Annie Broeker, who were with him at the end to carry on in his name.  In fact, he issued a Flag Order with a special designation - "Loyal Officers" - and they were the only ones who held that level.  Hubbard never even MENTIONED Miscavage.  When Hubbard died, Miscavage made the announcement and then his hand-picked henchmen proceeded to spy on and harass the Broekers.  Miscavage essentially staged a palace coup and the Broekers were, essentially "fair gamed."

You know, I think it's very easy to make fun of Miscavage based on his height and the fact that he dropped out of high school, but the reality is that he is very smart. Unstable, but smart---I would bet my last dollar that in a standard IQ test he would be above average or higher probably in the 120-140 range. You do not do everything he has done, built up what he has and kept people following you without being intelligent. In fact, Miscavage would have likely made a great military strategist if he didn't have so much in common with Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, and Napoleon. 

19

Share Post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

I just wish her lips didn't look so weird.

I agree, she is a pretty woman, no need to plump her lips because they are beautiful without it.  We see them in the clip of her as a young girl in,the beginning of each episode.  

7

Share Post


Link to post

How did the police realize Ron was being followed?

I need another few hours with the people on tonight.  

Edited by ButterQueen.
7

Share Post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

How did the police realize Ron was being followed?

I need another few hours with the people on tonight.  

I would love to know, too.  I liked that they jumped in to protect Ron. 

7

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

How did the police realize Ron was being followed?

I need another few hours with the people on tonight.  

 

16 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I would love to know, too.  I liked that they jumped in to protect Ron. 

"The surveillance of Ronald Miscavige Sr., a longtime Scientologist who had recently parted ways with the church, was described by Florida private eye Dwayne S. Powell, after he was arrested in July 2013 near Milwaukee with two rifles, four handguns, 2,000 rounds of ammunition and a homemade silencer in his rented SUV.

When confronted by West Allis, Wis., police responding to a report of a suspicious man in the neighborhood, Powell said he was house-hunting, according to the documents.

"Do I have to give you my name?" he asked the officers. "What law did I break?"

Police placed Powell, now 43, under arrest on suspicion of obstruction and in his pockets found a folding knife, a flashlight and his Florida driver's license and private investigator credentials. His Ford Edge also contained two laptop computers, binoculars, a GPS tracking device and a stun gun.

Powell initially declined to name his employer. But at the police station, he told Det. Nicholas Pye that he was hired by the Church of Scientology to conduct "full-time" surveillance of the elder Miscavige, now 79, who lived in a nearby town, the records state."

Per article: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-scientology-private-eyes-20150409-story.html

12

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I agree, she is a pretty woman, no need to plump her lips because they are beautiful without it.  We see them in the clip of her as a young girl in,the beginning of each episode.  

In that clip she reminds me so much of Brittany Murphy, who had such a fresh-faced, doe-eyed appeal. She was adorable on a Letterman appearance. So tragic what happened to her.

4

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

 

"The surveillance of Ronald Miscavige Sr., a longtime Scientologist who had recently parted ways with the church, was described by Florida private eye Dwayne S. Powell, after he was arrested in July 2013 near Milwaukee with two rifles, four handguns, 2,000 rounds of ammunition and a homemade silencer in his rented SUV.

When confronted by West Allis, Wis., police responding to a report of a suspicious man in the neighborhood, Powell said he was house-hunting, according to the documents.

"Do I have to give you my name?" he asked the officers. "What law did I break?"

Police placed Powell, now 43, under arrest on suspicion of obstruction and in his pockets found a folding knife, a flashlight and his Florida driver's license and private investigator credentials. His Ford Edge also contained two laptop computers, binoculars, a GPS tracking device and a stun gun.

Powell initially declined to name his employer. But at the police station, he told Det. Nicholas Pye that he was hired by the Church of Scientology to conduct "full-time" surveillance of the elder Miscavige, now 79, who lived in a nearby town, the records state."

Per article: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-scientology-private-eyes-20150409-story.html

Thank you!  It stuns me that I missed this. It tells me I have so much more googling ahead of me.  All this stuff should be in one place and organized by topic.  This would go under the heading. Goon Activity.  

6

Share Post


Link to post

It's not the length of Leah's nails that is gross. It's that they are filed to a point. My much more in tune great-niece tells me to blame the Kardashians. They are wearing them that was. So the trend.

6

Share Post


Link to post

Man, Miscavige is such a little weasel and I feel bad for insulting weasels.

I'm so glad Leah answers as many questions as she can on Twitter. Someone asked her about how her mom felt bringing her into the cult and Leah replied, "My mom truly regrets it, she has cried over it, but I told her it was a blessing in a way, look at the path I'm on. Look how we are helping". Keep fighting, Leah!

I wonder if Co$ is fair gaming people who work on the show and at A&E.

18

Share Post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Cranky One said:

Man, Miscavige is such a little weasel and I feel bad for insulting weasels.

I'm so glad Leah answers as many questions as she can on Twitter. Someone asked her about how her mom felt bringing her into the cult and Leah replied, "My mom truly regrets it, she has cried over it, but I told her it was a blessing in a way, look at the path I'm on. Look how we are helping". Keep fighting, Leah!

I wonder if Co$ is fair gaming people who work on the show and at A&E.

On behalf of weasels worldwide,  thank you for defending our honor.

I should Google A&E's parent company to find out whether they have the deep pockets (and power) to withstand any backlash from the CO$, but I've been on hold with FedEx for 38 minutes and counting, trying to find out why my perishable order is sitting 10 miles away where it was scanned 11 hours ago.

But I digress.

I checked online and A&E is or was owned by Disney who does or used to own ABC, who produces 20/20, which has aired features critical of The Cult.

44 minutes and counting with FedEx

7

Share Post


Link to post

COS is not as powerful as they think or would like. They can control their subjects and be a danger to defectors but Disney?  No way. 

Networks program what brings in money.  If this series is not very successful they will probably not have another on this subject matter and their choice will have nothing to do with Miscavige. 

5

Share Post


Link to post
13 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Actually there was another couple that LRH had tapped as the possible next leaders, but it wasn't entirely clear and Miscavige basically pulled a coup to take power.  

The coup is discussed in the book Going Clear. It really reminded me of how Warren Jeffs took over the FLDS when Rulon Jeffs died. Prior to his death, he was ill and Warren kept him from the other leaders, setting himself up as the only person who communicated with Rulon. When the time came, he declared that Rulon had said he was the new leader and removed those who probably would have taken over. It sounds like David did something similar. 

7

Share Post


Link to post
  8 hours ago, Cranky One said:

Man, Miscavige is such a little weasel and I feel bad for insulting weasels.

I'm so glad Leah answers as many questions as she can on Twitter. Someone asked her about how her mom felt bringing her into the cult and Leah replied, "My mom truly regrets it, she has cried over it, but I told her it was a blessing in a way, look at the path I'm on. Look how we are helping". Keep fighting, Leah!

I wonder if Co$ is fair gaming people who work on the show and at A&E.

On behalf of weasels worldwide,  thank you for defending our honor.

I should Google A&E's parent company to find out whether they have the deep pockets (and power) to withstand any backlash from the CO$, but I've been on hold with FedEx for 38 minutes and counting, trying to find out why my perishable order is sitting 10 miles away where it was scanned 11 hours ago.

But I digress.

I checked online and A&E is or was owned by Disney who does or used to own ABC, who produces 20/20, which has aired features critical of The Cult.

44 minutes and counting with FedEx

The full screen chryon they throw up after each commercial break pretty much covers their a$$e$. But had it not been for Going Clear (book and documentary) coming out years earlier, I don't think this show would have ever been made or aired.

9

Share Post


Link to post
8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

On behalf of weasels worldwide,  thank you for defending our honor.

I should Google A&E's parent company to find out whether they have the deep pockets (and power) to withstand any backlash from the CO$, but I've been on hold with FedEx for 38 minutes and counting, trying to find out why my perishable order is sitting 10 miles away where it was scanned 11 hours ago.

But I digress.

I checked online and A&E is or was owned by Disney who does or used to own ABC, who produces 20/20, which has aired features critical of The Cult.

44 minutes and counting with FedEx

Hahahaha! I could have called him a pile of shit, but even piles of shit are better than Miscavige!

34 minutes ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

The full screen chryon they throw up after each commercial break pretty much covers their a$$e$. But had it not been for Going Clear (book and documentary) coming out years earlier, I don't think this show would have ever been made or aired.

I was thinking more along the lines of them looking at who's working on the show in the list of credits and harassing them. From what I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did!

6

Share Post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Cranky One said:

Hahahaha! I could have called him a pile of shit, but even piles of shit are better than Miscavige!

I was thinking more along the lines of them looking at who's working on the show in the list of credits and harassing them. From what I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did!

They might try but would not get very far is my guess.  A goon could get arrested and that sounds pretty good!

Edited by wings707.
3

Share Post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Okay, Juliet, since you started it -- I agree she looked gorgeous, however, she's gotta cut those nails!  What's up with that?

I agree on both the navy dress (navy is a good color for her, although she might want to dial back the bronzer just a bit) and her nails, although I assume they're fake. I've noticed the long pointed nails on a number of celebs; I think it's just trendy.

I'm so fascinated by this show. Cults always fascinate me, and this one is no exception - and it is so much worse than I thought! Until Tom Cruise and his "you're glib" interview and then all that stuff with Katie Holmes, I thought they just kind of believed weird stuff but didn't hurt anyone. But hearing these stories of the people who haven't spoken to their kids in YEARS because they left and the kids stayed? And like Rinder said, he's the one who got his eldest kids involved in the first place so in a roundabout way, he's the reason they no longer have a relationship ... oh my God. When Ron was talking about how David apparently told the PIs to let him die, my mouth dropped open.

I'm fascinated by the money aspect. Leah and her mom and sister started in the cult when they were, by all accounts, struggling - how did they pay for all the courses and whatnot? She could pay for them once King of Queens hit (I'm sure that show made her very wealthy, as it's something like the second or third most syndicated show on TV), but how was her mom doing it before? I guess she was giving every penny to the church - but still, you can't budget what you don't have. 

10

Share Post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

. When Ron was talking about how David apparently told the PIs to let him die, my mouth dropped open.

That story has stuck with me because I carry my iPhone in my pocket Ts all the time and instinctively grab the pocket when I lean over.

Davy has serious, serious issues.

6

Share Post


Link to post
8 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

As someone who is vertically challenged, this is getting old. Their HEIGHT is the least of the issues I have with them. 

Sorry.  I'm a shorty too, but I'm used to it.

4

Share Post


Link to post

I still am at a loss to understand what the adherents think they are doing to save the world. There's no mention of building orphanages, picking up trash, etc.

10

Share Post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, rhys said:

I still am at a loss to understand what the adherents think they are doing to save the world. There's no mention of building orphanages, picking up trash, etc.

They are so busy with the deep, intense, constant navel-gazing while clutching the cans they don't have time to realize they aren't doing a damn thing to save the world.

14

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I'm so fascinated by this show. Cults always fascinate me, and this one is no exception - and it is so much worse than I thought! Until Tom Cruise and his "you're glib" interview and then all that stuff with Katie Holmes, I thought they just kind of believed weird stuff but didn't hurt anyone. But hearing these stories of the people who haven't spoken to their kids in YEARS because they left and the kids stayed? And like Rinder said, he's the one who got his eldest kids involved in the first place so in a roundabout way, he's the reason they no longer have a relationship ... oh my God. When Ron was talking about how David apparently told the PIs to let him die, my mouth dropped open.

So much worse.  I saw all the Cruise couch jumping and "you're glib" stuff and thought the same thing. These guys believe weird stuff but whatever.  Then I stumbled onto the "Truth Rundown" which was talked about in Rinder's episode.  I honestly could not stop reading it and I was completely floored.  I have been obsessed with Scientology ever since.  This show is just feeding my addiction.  It's my weekly fix.  

7

Share Post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, WInterfalls said:

So much worse.  I saw all the Cruise couch jumping and "you're glib" stuff and thought the same thing. These guys believe weird stuff but whatever.  Then I stumbled onto the "Truth Rundown" which was talked about in Rinder's episode.  I honestly could not stop reading it and I was completely floored.  I have been obsessed with Scientology ever since.  This show is just feeding my addiction.  It's my weekly fix.  

Is Truth Rundown an article?  We are on the same page. I am alone on xmas this year and thrilled about that!  Jenna's book arrived yesterday and I will rent Going Clear. I have no interest in anything else. 

Put my jeans on this morning and they are a little loose. I lost a few pounds because I was too so focused on reading about this I didn't eat much.  LOL. 

8

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Is Truth Rundown an article?  We are on the same page. I am alone on xmas this year and thrilled about that!  Jenna's book arrived yesterday and I will rent Going Clear. I have no interest in anything else. 

Put my jeans on this morning and they are a little loose. I lost a few pounds because I was too so focused on reading about this I didn't eat much.  LOL. 

The Truth Rundown is a series of articles done by a newspaper near Clearwater.  I ended up reading all of them at once and it was very eye opening.  If I am not mistaken it was The Truth Rundown that lead to the book version of Going Clear.  You are going to love Jenna's book I can't wait to hear what you think of her crazy life.  

I wish my jeans would get looser while reading.  I usually eat junk while reading and they get tighter.  But then again I'm kind of on the last hurrah before the new year and I consider a diet.  

7

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I agree on both the navy dress (navy is a good color for her, although she might want to dial back the bronzer just a bit) and her nails, although I assume they're fake. I've noticed the long pointed nails on a number of celebs; I think it's just trendy.

I'm so fascinated by this show. Cults always fascinate me, and this one is no exception - and it is so much worse than I thought! Until Tom Cruise and his "you're glib" interview and then all that stuff with Katie Holmes, I thought they just kind of believed weird stuff but didn't hurt anyone. But hearing these stories of the people who haven't spoken to their kids in YEARS because they left and the kids stayed? And like Rinder said, he's the one who got his eldest kids involved in the first place so in a roundabout way, he's the reason they no longer have a relationship ... oh my God. When Ron was talking about how David apparently told the PIs to let him die, my mouth dropped open.

I'm fascinated by the money aspect. Leah and her mom and sister started in the cult when they were, by all accounts, struggling - how did they pay for all the courses and whatnot? She could pay for them once King of Queens hit (I'm sure that show made her very wealthy, as it's something like the second or third most syndicated show on TV), but how was her mom doing it before? I guess she was giving every penny to the church - but still, you can't budget what you don't have. 

Leah touched on this a little bit on twitter. She said people give every cent they have, they take out loans, second and third mortgages...etc. These people, I think, the church views as the slave help whereas the bulk of the money they make come from the celebrities and those who came in with money. They also don't charge each person the same amount---so what may cost me or you $50 would cost a celebrity $10,000. 

4

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, rhys said:

I still am at a loss to understand what the adherents think they are doing to save the world. There's no mention of building orphanages, picking up trash, etc.

They are "clearing the planet", and no one else can do it.  Lol.

But I agree, they do nothing to help mankind.  I'm not sure how the followers are so convinced they are morally superior.  I'm pretty sure Rathbun and Cruise knew that deliberately alienating Kidman's children was despicable.  I think the "religion" appeals to a lot of narcissists. 

12

Share Post


Link to post
20 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I need another few hours with the people on tonight.  

I like that Leah and Mike just let them tell their stories.  A question here or there, a comment here or there (I find Rinder's comments to be particularly fascinating)...it's just a really good, well-done show.

18

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

They are "clearing the planet", and no one else can do it.  Lol.

But I agree, they do nothing to help mankind.  I'm not sure how the followers are so convinced they are morally superior.  I'm pretty sure Rathbun and Cruise knew that deliberately alienating Kidman's children was despicable.  I think the "religion" appeals to a lot of narcissists. 

I think lost insecure people, looking to belong, were sucked into the recruitment rap. I say, were, because I don't see how that could be going on now. They were promised, inclusion, joy, excitement and the promise of being a somebody who will help mankind.  

The places you would see them set up in Boston, the 60s, were dense with young kids and counter culture (hippies).  

I would be curious to know if they are able to recruit anyone these days.  

I liked hearing Rinder say, with confidence,  that the church would dwindle away.  It is clear but I just liked hearing him say that.  With an estimated 10,000 how much longer can it last? 

Cruise has no idea because DM could not bare loosing his cash cow.  Since they fill the auditoriums with people they get from who knows where, the illustration is prosperity. 

7

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

The Truth Rundown is a series of articles done by a newspaper near Clearwater.  I ended up reading all of them at once and it was very eye opening.  If I am not mistaken it was The Truth Rundown that lead to the book version of Going Clear.  You are going to love Jenna's book I can't wait to hear what you think of her crazy life.  

I wish my jeans would get looser while reading.  I usually eat junk while reading and they get tighter.  But then again I'm kind of on the last hurrah before the new year and I consider a diet.  

I am off to google that now. Thanks

2

Share Post


Link to post

It is striking that people choose to stay for so long. I am not blaming the victim but trying to understand. At least the FLDS allowed the children to stay with their mothers. It is mind boggling that parents allowed their children to be shipped off and be apart for so long. I wonder if this was the reason Katie Holmes bolted.

The Internet has made it possible to expose the sleazy underbelly of Scientology. Leah Remini and Mike Rinder will be successful because they have the support of people on social media. I am hopeful that government officials will get involved.

I am going to Hell for wanting this series to never end. There are plenty of stories to tell and I want to hear them all. This series is the best thing on TV.

Edited by Showthyme. Reason: .
18

Share Post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Showthyme said:

It is striking that people choose to stay for so long. I am not blaming the victim but trying to understand. At least the FLDS allowed the children to stay with their mothers. It is mind boggling that parents allowed their children to be shipped off and be apart for so long. I wonder if this was the reason Katie Holmes bolted.

The Internet has made it possible to expose the sleazy underbelly of Scientology. Leah Remini and Mike Rinder will be successful because they have the support of people on social media. I am hopeful that government officials will get involved.

I am going to Hell for wanting this series to never end. There are plenty of stories to tell and I want to hear them all. This series is the best thing on TV.

They are brainwashed. That is why they stay. I don't know how to copy and paste a link on an iPad.  If you google brainwashing tecniques, the first few that come up have COS written all over them.  Sea Org is a prime example.  Everything that is done to them and others is straight out of a text book.  

5

Share Post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

They are brainwashed. That is why they stay. I don't know how to copy and paste a link on an iPad.  If you google brainwashing tecniques, the first few that come up have COS written all over them.  Sea Org is a prime example.  Everything that is done to them and others is straight out of a text book.  

Hey Wings, what have we done 18,000 times to get the numbers by our names?   Have we posted that much????  

1

Share Post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Hey Wings, what have we done 18,000 times to get the numbers by our names?   Have we posted that much????  

I don't see any numbers.

1

Share Post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I don't see any numbers.

The numbers show up on my phone, but not the laptop. I think it's upvotes. 

3

Share Post


Link to post

Not on my iPad either.  Likes? Is that what you mean by up votes. I can see those in my profile.

1

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Showthyme said:

It is striking that people choose to stay for so long. I am not blaming the victim but trying to understand. At least the FLDS allowed the children to stay with their mothers. It is mind boggling that parents allowed their children to be shipped off and be apart for so long. I wonder if this was the reason Katie Holmes bolted.

I think so. I remember the tabloids saying basically that Katie realized she had to get Suri out, and now having seen this show, I think that's why.

I read that Nicole Kidman's eldest two kids consider her a suppressive person and she no longer speaks to them (their choice). She doesn't even talk about them publicly anymore, which is so sad. I wonder if she & Katie Holmes trade stories?

8

Share Post


Link to post

Yeah, "likes." I'm on another board where you can also downvote, so I tend to differentiate. :D

The numbers are showing up in green above each person's name and post (must be mobile only). On my laptop, poster names are to the left of the post boxes, as opposed to the mobile platform. No clue what a tablet looks like. 

Back on topic, I'm reading Jenna's book, and I got to the point where her parents ditched Sea Org, but she was still in. She talked about how her parents treated her on the day she was allowed to see them. She said, "You don't tell a brainwashed person that they're brainwashed," admitting she was about as brainwashed as she could be by that point (she's maybe 16/17 at this point? I've kind of lost track of her age). At any rate, she's damn right. That's about the worst thing you can do if you want to get someone out. I can't wait to see how her story plays out! 

1

Share Post


Link to post

After watching "Going Clear" on HBO, reading the book and stockpiling other CoS exposes, I'll have plenty to read the next few months.

If you'd ever like to have a good giggle, look for the widely circulated pic of David Miscavige and Tom Cruise on their motorcycles. SOOOO manly. Yup. There was no overcompensating going on there at all.

I think Leah Remini and Mike Rinder are creating something that will endure much longer than the run of this show. I don't think she's a saint, but I do believe that she and Rinder struggle with guilt due to any role they had in influencing others to join the church. She's brave. Hopefully she saved enough to keep things going; I think she's the breadwinner for her family, but I am glad that she has decided she will expose this church no matter what it costs her, personally or professionally. 

If anyone here follows her on Twitter, there was an exchange last week that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. She was dealing with what I can imagine were CoS trolls and she wrote (paraphrased): "I haven't revealed everything I know yet." I think that is her protection against further "fair game" attacks from those in the church on herself and her family members.

We used to go to a chiropractor who was a Scientologist. When we left the practice, the chiropractor called our house and came unglued over the phone. When Leah Remini and Mike Rinder were in Seattle talking with another former member, some of the phrases she was using reminded me of our ex-chiropractor and things that were said to us during appointments. I don't think she even realizes she is still quoting those things she was taught.

8

Share Post


Link to post
9 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

The Truth Rundown is a series of articles done by a newspaper near Clearwater.  I ended up reading all of them at once and it was very eye opening.  If I am not mistaken it was The Truth Rundown that lead to the book version of Going Clear.  

Another set of interesting articles is on Tony Ortega's site. http://tonyortega.org/up-the-bridge-our-step-by-step-series-on-scientologys-bridge-to-total-freedom/ He and ex Scientologist Claire Headly go through each step of the bridge and the cost.  

8

Share Post


Link to post
On 12/21/2016 at 7:41 PM, wings707 said:

Hysterical! Re nails

Ex scientologist message board. There is a lot of information there.  Didn't know LRH was also a sexual predator.  Not surprised though.  

Also, according to what was said in Going Clear, he saw his wife smile in her sleep and decided she was (IIRC) dreaming about someone else, so he pistol whipped her. Nice, right?

4

Share Post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, fastiller said:

Also, according to what was said in Going Clear, he saw his wife smile in her sleep and decided she was (IIRC) dreaming about someone else, so he pistol whipped her. Nice, right?

WHAT?!

2

Share Post


Link to post
On 12/21/2016 at 5:18 PM, Neurochick said:

I agree that it's harder to go after what is considered a religion, but the wealth of said religion makes a difference too.  

Truth.  The Branch Davidians, for example, were a "religion" that wasn't as flush with cash and celebrities as COS, and the government came down on them with SWAT teams, tanks, and tear gas. The FLDS, Allred Group (Sister Wives), Kingston's in Utah are just as destructive and abusive as Scientology,  but they have the connections and clout to still be in existence right now and they have to screw up epically to warrant prosecution.  The golden rule: the one with the gold makes the rules and lots of folks holla for some dollar dollar bills, yall.

Edited by bubbly. Reason: Edited for clarity
5

Share Post


Link to post

How courageous people are to leave.  Leah had a career and probably money to take care of herself, but imagine leaving with nothing but the clothes on your back!  And the realization that you will probably not see your family members again.  Hopefully there is a network support system for former members to help escapees acclimate to their new, free life.

9

Share Post


Link to post

It is going to be a Scientology Christmas for me! I have Leah's book, Jenna Miscavage's book, and The Unbreakable Miss Lovely by Tony Ortega all packed for my trip to my in-laws. Kids, leave mommy alone, she's reading!

13

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now