New vs. Classic Tom & Jerry

Along with the Looney Tunes, I grew up watching Tom & Jerry as a kid, and I totally prefer the classic over the "new" one, which I saw just a snippet of a couple of weeks ago. Blergh.

Gimme classic Tom, from his big fat head/kitten look, along with Jerry with the big fat head, to later seasons when Tom "slims" and grows up, and Jerry's nose doesn't look like a black olive. Throw in Spike and Spike, Jr., and the host of guest ducks, canaries, and chicks, and I'm happy. Two, no, three of my favorites is "Is You Is or Is you Ain't My Baby" (I'm sure that's not the name of the short, but that's all I remember), the one where we first meet NIbbles, Tom whacks him on his wee butt for drinking milk, and Jerry, who was trapped in a jar, see it, and roars, breaking the glass and wallops Tom within an inch of his life. And then, there's the one where that duckling is running away from Tom...the one that hatched when its Mama went for a little swim. ducking and Mama find themselves, and Tom runs Mama down with a lawn mower, and we see her "bra", and Tom gets in her face and talks like a "duck."  Then Mama yells "Harrrrrryyyyyy", and this, Duck, with tats, and muscles shows up, scaring Tom.  When Mama tells Harry what Tom did, Harry takes the mower and runs it over Tom's back.

Yes, those shorts wouldn't come close to passing the PC police and censor boards today, which is one of the reasons I'm glad I was a kid when I was kid--got to watch these, because they were FUNNY. And I didn't end up a psychotic murderer by watching them.

The new show is just so...bland. The original animation were like...oil paintings and the new ones? Just...washed out.

Share Post

The classic show (and some of it's dicey "of the time" treatment of race), gets some interesting modern treatment:

Tom And Jerry gets racism warning on Amazon

The part about the Whoopi Goldberg "intro" for the DVD version is interesting (and news to me since I never saw the DVDs).

Share Post

She did the same thing for the Looney Tunes ones as well. The warning about that's how it was then, and shouldn't be censored out, etc., etc.  Haven't watched that clip, as I'm invalidy at the moment. Just assuming it's the same.

Share Post