Capital One's Commercial Starring Jennifer Garner And Her Father Is An Affront To Humanity

Upon hearing Mr. Garner's name, Jennifer tells us the customer service rep jokingly asked, "Are you related to Jennifer?" Again: BULL. SHIT. I count among my illustrative list of menial job experiences a four-month stint as a CS rep for Netflix. It is miserable, tedious work. No one is in the mood to crack wise with the endless collection of cranks calling us up.

Yeah, not really commenting on the commercial one way or another, as I rarely see commercials and this one doesn't exactly strike me as being particularly egregious, but ....that happens all the time.

I have the same last name as someone who is really pretty damned famous and it's about half and half if someone will ask me, "Are you related to _______?" and I know precisely why: I'm nice to C.S. reps. Shit has to go spectacularly sideways before I'll be rude to someone who isn't in anyway directly responsible. Plus, people are more inclined to help someone who is saying "thank you" and joking around kindly.

So, yup, here to tell you: it's incredibly common for C.S. reps to ask about someone's last name and whether it is any relation to *insert super famous person here*.

This doesn't render any of your other points moot, but that one, I personally know to be false from the other side of the equation. Happens a lot. Garner's story is still complete B.S. but they did base it in a real enough thing.

Share Post

If it makes you feel any better, just have an imaginary play going on in your head about the fact that they hate each other.

My evidence? At her wedding to Ben Affleck? VICTOR GARBER, her TV Dad, walked her down the aisle and gave her away. When i read that years ago, I actually just assumed it was a sweet anecdote and that meant her real dad was dead. This is literally the first time I've seen something showing otherwise.

;)

Share Post

This is maybe the first time I've stopped to realize that Jennifer Garner's dad is not actually Victor Garber.

Share Post

It is irrational to get this angry at a television commercial. And I'm with you 1000%.

Share Post

So happy to know that others too feel hatred inspired by this commercial!

Share Post

How have I never seen this ad? Not even once? And now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll see it 15 times a day for three months. I'm also just as sure that not only are there people who believe this load of nonsense, there are folks who think it's "cute." Because as you pointed out, The Big Bang Theory is somehow still A) on the air and B) wildly popular (with ... no one I have ever met), and many people voted for a screaming orange turd to lead their country.

Never underestimate how dumb people are, is what I'm saying.

Share Post

How do I sign up to become Alex Zeidel's BFF? I made pretty much the exact same argument to The Boyfriend and he just said, "So? Calm down." He won't even admit she's horrible!

Share Post

I get why this is so disliked, but my personal most-hated commercial is the Apple commercial with Brad Garrett as Frankenstein...so freaking sappy!

Share Post

If it makes you feel any better, just have an imaginary play going on in your head about the fact that they hate each other.

My evidence? At her wedding to Ben Affleck? VICTOR GARBER, her TV Dad, walked her down the aisle and gave her away. When i read that years ago, I actually just assumed it was a sweet anecdote and that meant her real dad was dead. This is literally the first time I've seen something showing otherwise.

;)

Victor Garber didn't give her away at her wedding to Ben Affleck, he officiated the ceremony. He (and his boyfriend) were also the only guests, which yeah, is kind of weird. But if you only invite one person to your wedding, why not someone as awesome as Victor Garber?

Share Post

10 hours ago, verysimple said:

;)

Victor Garber didn't give her away at her wedding to Ben Affleck, he officiated the ceremony. He (and his boyfriend) were also the only guests, which yeah, is kind of weird. But if you only invite one person to your wedding, why not someone as awesome as Victor Garber?

I would definitely have invited Victor Garber to my wedding if I'd thought there was the remotest chance that he might come.

Share Post

The world's inaction and ignoring of what is happening in places like Syria and Yemen is an affront to humanity. This is just an inoffensive but also uninspiring commercial.

Edited by AndySmith.

Share Post

This is still not as bad as the British woman accosting people about their ass-wiping habits, and forcing them to go underwear-less. AND THE GODDAMNED TOILET PAPER BEARS.

Share Post

14 hours ago, verysimple said:

;)

You need two witnesses for a marriage to be legal, and the officiant doesn't count. Does this mean Ben & Jen were never actually married?

Share Post

This is still not as bad as the British woman accosting people about their ass-wiping habits, and forcing them to go underwear-less. AND THE GODDAMNED TOILET PAPER BEARS.

The toilet paper bears are an affront to all that is good in the universe and must be eradicated, along with the Charmin tag line, which I cannot even bring myself to type.

Share Post

Is anyone really joining Capitalone because of Jennifer Garner? I don't understand celebrity sponsorship sometimes.

Share Post

Somehow I had been saved from seeing this fetid piece of garbage commercial until now. With that said, this article gives me hope. Yes, hope. My people are out there. People who see something this mind-numbingly terrible and speak up. People who do not claim Jennifer Garner is some great talent to whom we should all bow down in awe of her awesomeness. People who will comment on the absolute absurdity of pretending someone is interviewing Ms. Garner regarding her ever-so-exciting credit card ads.

I salute you, Alex Zeidel, for speaking for us.

Share Post

The only thing that's not garbage about this is the (not-so-obvious) non-fictional aviation set being used in the background.
http://aeromockups.com/
The whole world is not, in fact, a lie

Share Post

I just saw that incredibly irritating commercial again and did an internet search to find out who else found it completely annoying. So bless you for this. What bugs me the most about this commericial isn't the BS premise as much as Garner's cutesy act routine. She's getting a little too long in the tooth to keep the saccharine sweet routine up.

Share Post