S01.E05: Different Seasons / S01.E06: A Killer on the Road 2016.11.26

Josh and Rachel are in Florida looking into the case of the Daytona Beach Serial Killer. A chance encounter with the daughter of one of the victims propels them to investigate a string of leads including a former junkyard owner with a dark family secret and a notorious motorcycle gang with a motive to kill. Josh and Rachel discover an even greater horror, one that extends far beyond the beaches of Daytona and spreads through

and

Josh and Rachel venture across the country to investigate long haul truckers moonlighting as serial killers and uncover systemic failures of law enforcement that kept the group at large. Later: the investigation takes a turn after a potential killer dies.

Share Post

The stats given for the long-haul killers are horrifying. Watching this series in light of recent national political events, I keep thinking about the Germaine Greer quote: Women have no idea how much men hate them.

Share Post

I agree, Attica, I was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of women who have gone missing or been killed.  When the stat came up  that 20,000 women could go missing in a year with no one reporting it, I had to sit back and take an extra breath for a few moments.

Share Post

Jesus. The innumerable missing missing, estimated number of serial killers, and the highways murder map made my stomach curdle.

Why -- after so many decades and so many crimes -- won't police departments taking missing persons cases seriously? I don't care if 90% of them have left voluntarily; you still put in the fucking time to find out.

Edited by lordonia.

Share Post

Well color me surprised. I grew up in Chillicothe, OH and did a double take when I saw it in one of the headlines here. I got out of there after high school (a bit over 20 years ago) and never looked back. I would take exception to the small town comments from the police in that clip. It may be a big town but its not isolated in the middle of no where. Its not some town with only one traffic light. Even when I was there the towns population was over 20,000 and the county population (Where I lived) was closer to 70,000.

Share Post

Really liking this show so far, but wow, it is bleak. Between the attitudes towards the women and the poverty of the victims and their families/friends, it's a tough watch.

I never knew so many murders were being committed by long-haul truckers, but it makes sense. 

Share Post

I didn't get to watch this when it originally aired, but I was able to see episode 6 online. The interviews with the women were heartbreaking. In my younger, wilder days, many of the women in my circle worked the streets or strip clubs. One of them died. Others were stalked, beaten, threatened or raped. I could see my friends in these women. 

Heather was the one who made me the most sad. I was so happy that she was able to physically survive, but the emotional impact was obvious. She was "in the bathroom" when they arrived. During the interview, she looked like she was fighting a nod. Pretty sure she was shooting up when they got there. 

Mostly, I am glad they didn't focus on Websleuths. I post over there because of my interest in true crime. It's kinda batshit most of the time. I would rather listen to the facts of the cases than the bizarre theories that come from that place. 

Share Post