Fox Renews The Simpsons For A Record-Breaking 29th And 30th Season

Do the writers of that show just have to reach into big vats of paper labeled, "Characters" "Verbs" and "Nouns" to write this show now? "Maggie and.......Mr. Largo......co-manage......a shopping cart factory. Here, Gary, this episode is yours."

Share Post

I honestly don't know how this show stays on the air. It made a dramatic U-turn to "horrible" after season 9 ended and has never recovered. More importantly, I don't know a single solitary soul who watches it, so I don't know how its ratings are justifying its existence.

Share Post

To borrow a poker phrase, I'm pot committed at this point -- 27+ seasons in I've got to see it through to the very end.  :)

Share Post

I am flat out going to say I have no idea about how tv rules go, or what "scripted series" means, but I am confused as to how the Simpsons beats out certain shows....like Guiding Light, or As The World Turns, or other soaps that have been on yonks of years and episodes more. Is it a daytime/primetime thing? I'm sure there is some sort of guideline I am missing here. Can someone help me out? I genuinely don't get it. Thanks! And to show I'm not totally hostile to the Simpsons, I do remember being in fifth grade and everyone had a tshirt or wallet with Ay Caramba on it and parents were so mad..............if they had only known the disrespect coming down the pike AFTER that...........

Share Post

17 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

I am flat out going to say I have no idea about how tv rules go, or what "scripted series" means, but I am confused as to how the Simpsons beats out certain shows....like Guiding Light, or As The World Turns, or other soaps that have been on yonks of years and episodes more. Is it a daytime/primetime thing? I'm sure there is some sort of guideline I am missing here. Can someone help me out? I genuinely don't get it. Thanks! And to show I'm not totally hostile to the Simpsons, I do remember being in fifth grade and everyone had a tshirt or wallet with Ay Caramba on it and parents were so mad..............if they had only known the disrespect coming down the pike AFTER that...........

I think it's longest running scripted Primetime series -- Gunsmoke ended at 635 episodes, The Simpsons is at 600 and counting. So by the end of Season 29 they should beat that Gunsmoke record.

Share Post

I've never been a regular viewer and don't know from quality declines, but it makes me happy that the show and characters are still here as cultural touchstones after all this time.

Share Post

To borrow a poker phrase, I'm pot committed at this point -- 27+ seasons in I've got to see it through to the very end.  :)

Yep, user name checks out.

I remember when the show started; I was in high school. I'm old.

Share Post

I'm a die-hard Simpson fan and I do realize it's long past its prime. But in its day...it was the very best. And still has fleeting moments of pure and utter brilliance. Even this far along. So I welcome this news. I grew up with this show and - given the current ugly state of cultural affairs - I'd probably get even more depressed if it wasn't renewed. But I'm an old ;)

Share Post

I'm in to the bitter end, I just can't help recalling those golden seasons of the past and hoping against hope the show will someday get better. There's still hope…right? 

Share Post

17 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

I mean, this show is literally older than I am.

We're all going to beat you with our canes and walkers.

Share Post

On 11/4/2016 at 11:15 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I think it's longest running scripted Primetime series -- Gunsmoke ended at 635 episodes, The Simpsons is at 600 and counting. So by the end of Season 29 they should beat that Gunsmoke record.

That record should be broken 2 days from now.  Season 29, Episode 10: "Haw Haw Land" will be the 636th episode of The Simpsons.

Share Post

On 1/5/2018 at 10:03 AM, Thrifty said:

That record should be broken 2 days from now.  Season 29, Episode 10: "Haw Haw Land" will be the 636th episode of The Simpsons.

Tonight's episode is listed as episode #628 on Wikipedia, so they still have a few more episodes to go before the record breaker.

Share Post

18 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Tonight's episode is listed as episode #628 on Wikipedia, so they still have a few more episodes to go before the record breaker.

I think where I messed up was referencing IMDB.  They said 636 episodes when I counted, and I thought they were only counting up to Sunday's episode.  Turns out they are also counting several unaired and untitled episodes, including the first few episodes of season 30.

Share Post