Season 6 Behind the Scenes

@OtherLevelJ, you have amazing talent...in the last episode alone, both the centipede and the wedding dress were awesome. I hope you are back next year with more inclusive teammates.

Would you be willing to tell more about how Underbakers was assembled? Sounds like you had never laid eyes on these two before. Maybe you guys were put together because your were first timers in the show? Hopefully you were able to network with other artisans through your appearance. And I hope you feel somewhat vindicated that apparently everyone else on this forum saw through the dysfunction. 

Edited by Drogo. Reason: Corrected @name.

Share Post

It would be nice to know how the teams are determined. I casually watched a couple episodes from previous seasons when they were rerun in late September (I'm still super new to Food Network) and I just assumed that all three people somehow worked together as a career. But from watching every episode of this season, it occurs to me that maybe they were created during some sort of So You're Going To Be On Halloween Wars Orientation icebreaker game.

Share Post

11 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

@OtherLevelJ, you have amazing talent...in the last episode alone, both the centipede and the wedding dress were awesome. I hope you are back next year with more inclusive teammates.

Would you be willing to tell more about how Underbakers was assembled? Sounds like you had never laid eyes on these two before. Maybe you guys were put together because your were first timers in the show? Hopefully you were able to network with other artisans through your appearance. And I hope you feel somewhat vindicated that apparently everyone else on this forum saw through the dysfunction. 

Thanks for the compliments and Yes! you have no idea how vindicated I feel reading Internet comments about the show. While many people are crediting The UnderBAKErs with practically ruining the show, for the most part they are being incredibly kind and consistent with their compliments towards me. I can't say I hate it either.

I mean you all saw the crap I put up with. I went into that situation with my eyes wide open expecting SOME sort of fuckery, but I didn't expect two teammates who seemed like they were programmed to ceaselessly and baselessly criticisize and complain about everything I did-even the stuff we would plan out and agree to like the size of the pumpkin-and try to instigate a fight at every turn and overact like anything I said was literally Hitler. It was a bizarre and uncomfortable gas lighting, and if it was all staged then I think the plan backfired when I refused to play the Defend Your Ego game. 

As to the question of how the teams are assembled, all I got for you is a big nothing burger. I had never met nor heard of either of them. That's not a dig or anything. I just don't know a lot of bakers in Boston or sugar yankers  from New York.

Edited by OtherLevelJ. Reason: Sppeeling

Share Post

6 minutes ago, OtherLevelJ said:

As to the question of how the teams are assembled, all I got for you is a big nothing burger. I had never met nor heard of either of them.

So...nothing like Voltron?

(I really do have work I'm pretending to do)

Share Post

I can't help but feel they put teams together hoping for the kind of drama they got from Underbakers but I think it backfired. While all talented, I did not enjoy watching them at all. Sorry OtherLevelJ, it wasn't you, but man was your group a toxic combo. I wish you had had a better experience because what drew me to the show was watching Bling Bats in the first series and how well they ended up working together. That is enjoyable to. I would love to have seen what you could do with a supportive team. Same for all competitors. I don't want to see melt downs or fights. I want to see people with incredible skills put in an environment that brings out the best in them. Yes, I'm a fan of Great British Bake Off and wish more competitive shows would follow their example. It is possible to get drama out of just watching someone carve a pumpkin that is threatening to collapse under it's own weight, or trying to carry a sugar glass window without breaking it.

It is sad to watch this show devolve into interpersonal drama. What made Bling Bats great was exactly the lack of that, and what they produced was amazing. If I want to watch people fight on camera I'd watch those stupid Real Housewives shows or Big Brother. I want to see food artists making magic.

Share Post