S14.E36: Van Jones, Kristen Soltis Anderson, Michael Moore, Rick Lazio, Chelsea Handler 2016.10.28

Official Post

The discussion about alcohol and drinking has run its course. Everyone, including Donald Trump, has their own reasons for drinking or not drinking. Let's leave it at that and move on.

Share Post

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I didn't like the bullshit that if someone doesn't drink, it's a red flag. My mother doesn't drink. Never has. And she's not a delusional, hateful, racist person. And I don't have a history of alcoholism in my family, either. My father drinks occassionally, and so do I. So they were full of shit, agreed.

That whole thing about people who don't drink being a red flag (for what exactly?) was really bullshit.  I have a drink a couple times a year.  I consider myself a non drinker since it's so infrequent.  Chelsea's armchair pseudo psychobabble was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.  It's right up there with most of the stuff Trump says like it's a fact.

Sorry, didn't see the post above before submitting.  End of discussion for me.

Share Post

She may have been thinking of a famous saying along those lines.

It's not an entirely original idea, since we have aphorisms like "in vino veritas" for thousands of years.

I would agree about people who rigidly won't have a wine or beer occasionally, for religious reasons or whatever other reasons.

Share Post

Oh it wouldn't surprise me if Bill really meant it, as he said it on PI years ago and that strikes me as the type of person he is.

Sorry, just saw above posting myself.

Share Post

On 10/29/2016 at 11:32 AM, atomationage said:

I don't think Van Jones does as well in an interview as he does on the panels, but he's great anyway.

I agree with Chelsea Handler that not drinking is a red flag, unless the person is in recovery.   I loved The Doors reference.   One song, Break on Through, quoted John Rechy, "made the scene, week to week, day to day, hour to hour."

I hope Bill will be able to behave himself while interviewing the President of The United States.  

"a tiny orange hand comes out of the grave",  "nightmare on email street", "let's go to the video tape"

I agree. I saw a similar red flag in George W. Bush's complete disinterest in traveling outside the US (except for Mexico) before he was President.

Share Post

I think Bill will behave himself with the president. Bill's been consistent in his praise of Obama, as he did again on this episode where he said Romney pledged to have unemployment below 6% by 2012 and Obama got it to 5%, for example. I could see Bill asking Obama why no one knows data like that. If anything, Bill probably will fish for a compliment on the $1M too. 

Share Post

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Bill probably will fish for a compliment on the $1M too.

The President needs to thank him pre-emptively for his support in the past.   I'm not looking forward to the interview. 

Share Post

I'm sure the interview will be fine. He just did one with Sam Bee - he's obviously a good sport. I'm sure Bill will rib him about the petition and how long it's taken him to come on the show and I'm sure Obama will have a good comeback for it. When you consider that Bill is going to be on Obama's turf instead of the other way around, I expect him to be in full ass-kissing mode.

Share Post

Just now, iMonrey said:

I'm sure the interview will be fine. He just did one with Sam Bee - he's obviously a good sport. I'm sure Bill will rib him about the petition and how long it's taken him to come on the show and I'm sure Obama will have a good comeback for it. When you consider that Bill is going to be on Obama's turf instead of the other way around, I expect him to be in full ass-kissing mode.

Not only that, but Bill has always been respectful whenever he's interviewed former Presidents. Even if Obama had appeared on the show for a live interview, I would expect a respectful interview. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

You're right. We can basically expect a repeat of the Sam Bee interview. It will basically be a straight up appeal to disaffected millennials and independents to get out and vote in order to protect the Supreme Court, action on global warming, prevent the gutting of regulations, etc. Obama will show off his dry humor and quick wit and there will be a bit too much of the host and too little POTUS. And given that Obama's agenda pretty much matches exactly what Bill's been saying for a while now it's going to be Bernie Sanders level suck up once they get past the wait and/or Bill's begging to be acknowledged for his contribution.

Share Post