S06.E05: Demonic Wedding 2016.10.30

It's the horrifying finale of Halloween Wars! After taking down the competition one by one, the final two teams made up of a pumpkin carving expert, cake artist and sugar artist go to battle one last time.

The team that can best capture the scariest and most demonic wedding ever imagined will be crowned Halloween Wars champion and win $50,000.

Bitsie Tulloch, actress from the hit series Grimm, joins as special guest judge.

Share Post

Although Sugar Psychos won, it was good to see Underbakers somewhat come together. That chick Jewel drove me batty with her non-stop yapping about how much there was to do and it appeared that the chicks totally left Jeremy out of the discussion on the wedding idea. The dress that Jeremy did was really good and I hope next year he is teamed with two other people who aren't as obnoxious. Sugar Psychos worked well together and Santosh never disappoints. I don't know how many seasons he's been on, but I always want to try his tasting treats. His sugar work is so impressive. I am ready for next season!!

Share Post

I was only able to see the last couple of minutes, but I am incredibly glad Sugar Pyschos won.  I may have defended the Under bakers last week, but that did not mean I wanted them to win the championship.  Tomorrow, I can happily watch my recording of the show knowing my favorite team won!

Share Post

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Although Sugar Psychos won, it was good to see Underbakers somewhat come together. That chick Jewel drove me batty with her non-stop yapping about how much there was to do and it appeared that the chicks totally left Jeremy out of the discussion on the wedding idea. The dress that Jeremy did was really good and I hope next year he is teamed with two other people who aren't as obnoxious. Sugar Psychos worked well together and Santosh never disappoints. I don't know how many seasons he's been on, but I always want to try his tasting treats. His sugar work is so impressive. I am ready for next season!!

It did seem like in every judging this season - small scares and the spine chillers, not to mention when they were called safe out of the bottom two every week - the two women on the Underbakers cried and hugged each other and completely ignored Jeremy. So no surprise that they overruled or just ignored him for the idea for their design.

Share Post

This has been one of my favorite FN shows since the first season but I was almost glad to see it end this year because I was so sick of Jewel.  I can't think why the producers gave her the lion's share of THs when she was unpleasant, unattractive, whiney and also probably the worst sugar artist in the history of the show.  In any event, I was relieved and happy when the Sugar Psychos finally won.  I liked all of them and they did good work.

Santosh is just great .  He's been on several seasons I think and he has always impressed and been modest to boot. 

I hope Halloween Wars comes back next year but sans Jewel and Erin.  There have been a few problem people on previous seasons.  Gonzuela comes to mind and a blonde who actually walked off and quit on one of the early seasons but no one has been as annoying as Jewel.

Share Post

Congrats to the James and Al and Santosh for winning with an incredible piece. Yeah, they should have been competing against the Crypt Cookers but holy cow you should have seen the stage light they had shining through the window. Absolute gorgeosity! And that pumpkin werewolf! I wish I had been allowed to work on something half as cool as that. Great job all around imo.

Well gang, is everybody happy that the Sugar Psychos won? I sure was, because I honestly wouldn't have wanted to win with that team. I didn't feel like there would be honor in it. Feel free to challenge that, but I think it's fair to say.

On a side note, I would, however, like to take an opportunity to toot my horn a little. I carved a giant assed centipede in 45 minutes and we won a challenge with it. And this might just be my own bias talking, but I think we may have even won it legitimately (scale, scale, SCALE!). 

Anyway, please pardon me if it was smug to brag. It wasn't a season of victories for me if you can relate:)

Share Post

I liked the Underbakers scene and thought it was much scarier and had a better story than the Sugar Psychos. I do think the sugar elements being smaller and the tasting cake being dry did the Underbakers in. Loved  the big pumpkin dress!

Share Post

I know this comment probably doesn't go here, but it has been bothering me a little since last night.

$50,000 doesn't split up 3-ways very easily, especially if the contestants don't like each other (and super especially if they didn't pick each other...do we know if they pick each other). Can you not picture Jewel saying she deserves more because of the variety of her position or something, like pumpkin carving is pumpkin carving and cake maker is cake making but sugar person does the accessories, tasting stuff, etc. (I know I didn't word that right, but do you see what I'm trying to say)? Also she was a horrible person and anyone who had the show on just as background noise would easily be able to tell that she was the instigator in her team's arguments. 

If she's going to be that controlling, maybe have her team up with Al of Sugar Psychos (that's a show I would watch with all the popcorn!). He was controlling with so much less drama and even though I probably would have told him to suck a d***, his team didn't seem to mind as much. "I need a stained glass window NOW!!!" Relax, dude, shit takes time to look good.

Share Post

Aside from her immature and bratty behavior, I thought Jewel was a poor sugar artist.  If there were a challenge for just sugar work, she would have been tossed out week 1.  Very sloppy, not precise and not as clean as the other competitors. I was also sick of hearing her tell us in every TH "we don't have tiiiimme for this!"

I really liked the shape and the coloring of the wedding gown (kudos, OtherLevelJ!), but I wish the top/Erin's bride sat a little lower into the voluminous skirt.  Wherever the figure's waist was should have been the point of connection to the bottom.  Overall, it was a cool story, but very glad the other team won.  They were definitely more consistent.  Maybe OtherLevelJ can draw a better (i.e.- anyone but Jewel/Erin) team next year and have his cool work appreciated!

Share Post

I was rooting for the Sugar Psychos all season long.  I could honestly tell that WAS a bouquet.  I saw flowers.  I didn't care for the "guest judge" at all.  Ahhh the bouquet threw me off..... (really?  that's like saying the eyebrows on the other team threw you off).  I thought they were the most consistent and each challenge they had amazing work.  I couldn't bring myself to vote or root for the Underbakers because of the two women on that team and how they were with OtherLevelJ .  The team was unprofessional only because of the two women on the team.  So many times I heard the pumpkin carver's work applauded but rarely the women. 

Share Post

OtherLevelJ one of my favorite parts of the season was when Erin and Jewel basically spent an entire small scare bitching at you about the size of the pumpkin and the judges were basically like "the pumpkin is the only good part of the display."

I never warmed to Jersey but if you take the season as a whole they were the rightful victors.  Although I too wish the werewolf had a neck.

Share Post

11 hours ago, justjen said:

$50,000 doesn't split up 3-ways very easily, especially if the contestants don't like each other (and super especially if they didn't pick each other...do we know if they pick each other).

Is fifty thousand the amount of the prize, or the number of times they mention it? That was my pet peeve. We get it! There's a prize! But they don't have to keep reminding us. What's the worst case, I spend a few seconds thinking the teams are competing out of sportsmanship?

That aside, it was odd that the amount doesn't split evenly. It's not actually a problem since I'm sure it's all contractualized, but it's odd to go home to your family and friends and say "I won sixteen thousand six hundred sixty-six dollars!" 

7 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

Part of the problem, I thought, was that Jewel and Erin didn't seem to include OtherLevelJ into their decision making.  Maybe that was missed in editing, but, at times, Jewel had her back to him which seemed like a way to exclude him.  Poor form on her part.

If I had to guess I would suspect that's the origin of the bad blood. Early on there was a difference of opinion over creative direction and then the women decided they outnumbered Jeremy so they never had to listen to him. Blind guess of course. If @OtherLevelJ wants to correct me I'd be thrilled.

Share Post

One thing that HAS surprised me about all this is the number of people who are put off by the uneven math. Yup, it's a little weird. $13333 for each winner, minus taxes (there's another twist:). I find it a little amusing that the uneven numbers throw so many people off (myself included btw). Also, the way they seem to fetishize the amount like its fifty million instead of fifty thousand . . . I get budgetary restrictions but these days if your prize pool isn't ridiculous then you shouldn't lead with it imo. I certainly wasn't there for the money. Clearly I was there for the self-esteem boost and the team building:)

As far as the creative decisions go, I got less than 0% creative control. I don't mind the give and take of teamwork at all but there was absolutely no give with those two. If I had an idea it would get shot down and 'out voted'. They would paint my work black if they didn't toss it off the riser when I wasn't looking. And I didn't spend a lot of time looking because apparently carving pumpkins is a lot more time consuming than pulling sugar or cutting cake because for some reason I didn't feel like I had an extra hour to cry and create drama and make executive decisions about things that were not my area of expertise. The amount of my time they spent telling me how much they didn't think I had time to finish was mind-boggling

image.jpeg

Share Post

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

OtherLevelJ one of my favorite parts of the season was when Erin and Jewel basically spent an entire small scare bitching at you about the size of the pumpkin 

I'm sorry but you have to be more specific:)

For realsies though every single challenge. Every. Single. Challenge. Not once were they happy with anything I did. Not once did they think their contribution was anything less than perfect. Not once. Every. Single. Challenge.

The most egregious example was the Medusa's New Do small scare where they told me the pumpkin was the worst part. I personally didn't agree and judges didn't either.

Share Post

Official Post

Folks, there's a new thread for Behind The Scenes talk here

This thread ("Demonic Wedding") is for discussing the events of the finale only.

Share Post