All Episodes Talk: Flea Circus

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

From Jezebel: "Fleabag is the latest addition to the 'unlikable woman' genre of television comedy. The series, imported from BBC3, was created by and stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge. It’s light on plot, which is to its benefit, and instead follows the protagonist as she ungracefully stumbles through a failing career, a friend’s death, and her deeply dysfunctional family. Waller-Bridge is committed to that particularly grim British approach that finds a kind of poignant humor in complete and utter failure."

Maybe I'm topped off on awkward failures, but I sort of watched with a weary sigh. I certainly didn't laugh. Does wincing count as enjoyment these days?

Share Post

I came here to see what others thought. I had to bail halfway through the first episode. The weird sex scenes were just cringemaking. Not "edgy."  As a comparison, I love Raised by Wolves, another edgy British show. 

Share Post

I adore the show. So glad to see a forum on it, although so far it seems...underloved. Phoebe's sense of self-worth being tied to her sexual desirability feels real real to me, and in the meantime she's funny and fast and snarky and headstrong in ways she doesn't seem to value. It's like the exact opposite of TV heroines like Carrie Bradshaw, who are horrible friends, shite girlfriends and crapass co-workers but are desired unanimously because of some undetectable lovability factor. Because they're the stars of the show.

The sister is especially great, and the nun's retreat episode was just full of weird goodness, from the wanking discussion to the "male feminists" taking out their misogynistic agression toward women in the guise of "all the things I wouldn't" say" (to those brainless whores who make up 51% of the world's population). Brava and high hopes for a second season.

Share Post

I have watched the first couple of episodes and really like the actress--her face is so expressive and her emotions so transparent--but I have to agree on the sex scenes.  They are not physically overly graphic (haven't had any full on nudity yet, but again, just two episodes in), but when she is talking in an aside to the camera while in action--it's just strange.  I feel like sometimes these non-network stations put in sex scenes just because they can.  Lots of sex scenes doesn't make up for a lack of story, and I think there is plenty of story to be told here and they have a winner in the lead role.

Share Post

20 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

I adore the show.

Me too. And I disagree with Jezebel that she is an "unlikeable woman" - she is struggling and makes horrible decisions and is transparently, heartbreakingly emotionally raw behind an aggressive exterior, all of which makes her very likeable and relatable to me. I though the show was beautifully odd and very funny, poignant and awful and absurd and absurdly real.

And I need to know what color of lipstick she wears, because it is seriously on point.

Share Post

Brilliant show. If you stick with it you'll find that the awkward sex scenes were not gratuitous - they very much spoke to the character and how she sees herself as worth nothing and having nothing to offer but her body. There is a reason we were shown only her uncomfortable facial expressions throughout many of them; they were not meant to titillate, and I'm thinking we were supposed to be bothered. The episodes get both darker and surprisingly deeper as they go along, and the balance between humor and tragedy shifts but both are still fully represented. There are some strong themes here about loneliness, grief, betrayal, the depths of female friendships, family dynamics, and how men vs. women are treated in society and relationships, but there are also laugh-out-loud moments and all of the characters are treated with respect (by the writers, if not by each other). Even minor characters that I thought existed for comic relief turned out to have some depth. I found the last episode to be devastating, and the whole series will stick with me for quite some time.

Edited by Thog.

Share Post

Finally had a chance to watch the rest and LOVED it--it was funny in places and so heart-breaking in others.  Just great!  Totally agree with Thog's post.  This will stick with me for a long time.

Share Post

Absolutely loved it. Phoebe was on Pop Culture Happy Hour recently and it was a very insightful interview--I recommend giving it a listen, especially as regards the "awkward sex" stuff.

Found it hilarious, uncomfortable, and incredibly painful. And I can't get a single person I know IRL to watch it. Sad to see it's not getting much chatter here, although the critics seem to love it. 

The end reveal is gutting and makes rewatching a real treat (if even more painful). 

Share Post

One of my favorite new shows this year.  Hilarious and crushing - my favorite combination.  And I've managed to get 4 people to watch it!!  

Also binged Crashing, another comedy with Phoebe.  Didn't like it AS much, some annoying love triangle stuff but still plenty of LOL moments, so recommend it.  Only 6 eps, on Netflix.

Share Post

12 hours ago, maraleia said:

I wish they would tell us if there will be a second season.

They asked Phoebe about that on the podcast I mentioned. I can't remember her exact words, but I got the sense she wasn't having the typical "yes please give us another season I have it all planned out!" response you would expect. The show was based on a stage show she wrote and performed and I think it was pretty self-contained 

(Caveat: podcast was almost two months ago, my memory is imperfect.)

I WOULD watch more but I also think it was perfect as a one-shot. I do wish it had gotten more traction among the Catastrophe/You're The Worst/arguably Master of None crowd. 

Share Post

On 10/2/2016 at 4:38 PM, stanleyk said:

And I need to know what color of lipstick she wears, because it is seriously on point.

An answer I know!  Apparently, it's one the makeup artist made custom, but it's heavily based on the Mac shade "Dare You", and apparently, it's what they would use for touch-ups.

Just started the show after hearing some really rave reviews and I'm enjoying it.  Though, I'll admit, I was hooked at "Do I have a massive asshole?"

Edited by Princess Sparkle.

Share Post

On 1/16/2017 at 11:58 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

Apparently, it's one the makeup artist made custom, but it's heavily based on the Mac shade "Dare You", and apparently, it's what they would use for touch-ups.

And thank you for this, because I went and bought the Mac shade, and it is awesome. 

Share Post

Just finished watching all 6 episodes over 2 nights.  I liked it but I'm not sure I would want to see this idea go on for an entire regular series.  There were some moments that really made me lol loudly, but there were also many they intended to be funny, but weren't at all for me.

I think the thing I liked most was the sisters relationship, although the last episode didn't bode well for them.  

I appreciate seeing damaged characters trying to navigate every day life, but there was just a bit too much of that in the series.  If they were to renew it I would l like to see the humor and the wit but a little less of the dysfunction.

Share Post

It's getting a Season 2

Season 1 was pretty perfect but I'm on board with exploring where she'll go in Season 2.

Share Post

Sat down tonight to watch the first episode, and 3 hours later, I've seen the series...

I like her. I get her, I understand her, although I am NOT her. The character of Claire felt very real to me - I have good relationships with my sisters, but they are at times fraught. I'm so glad we're getting more of this series, just because I want more of the voice of the creator.

Share Post

Am just discovering this show, because it's only in the last month that Apple TV got Amazon Prime.

Funny, after the first episode I wasn't sure I was going to keep going. But a week or so later I watched the second and third, and got hooked.

Four episodes in, I really like it. I'm glad it's getting another season. A very smart show.

Share Post

I just watched the whole S1, thanks to the reminder from EHG (a successful canon induction).  Wow. So good. It's been a couple of days and it has stuck with me, like a low-lying pervasive sense of dread. About 1/2 in I realized what the truth of Boo's death was and it hit me like a gut-punch. I actually exclaimed "Jesus Christ" when I figured it out. 

At the same time, a hilarious show with a very winning lead character in spite of all her problems and sharp edges. I encourage anyone who has not seen it or who stopped, to give it another chance.

Share Post

Watched season one straight through today. Loved it, and cannot wait to see Olivia Coleman take over the role of Princess Margaret in The Crown.

Share Post

Phoebe’s show Crashing is available on Netflix, by the way.

EDIT: And in my desperate search for summer television, I found that Phoebe is also involved behind the scenes in Killing Eve, a show I'd been avoiding because anything that reminds me of Gray's Anatomy is usually off the table:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Eve

So I'll be checking this one out.

Edited by kieyra.

Share Post

I just watched season one as a binge last night and today. I was put onto it by Ben Aldridge (not personally, but by checking his filmography after bingeing Our Girl), and then of course Olivia Coleman. She is fantastic in all the things. 

What a great overall story regarding Boo, and then each episode in itself is well-written. And by "great overall story regarding Boo" I just mean the planning/execution of the story, not the actual

Spoiler

heart wrenching

story itself.

Share Post