All Episodes Talk: Easy Peasy

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

Its like a "hey its that guy/gal" a thon!

As you can imagine from an anthology show, its hit or miss. I have no idea why they brought back the brewery story, of all the stories. Not that they were bad, but they were kind of boring, and I know the creator loves brewing (and I love going to breweries too, so I get the craft beer love), but brewing just seems like a thing that people do, no real reason why this is such a special thing. 

My favorites were probably the Vegan Cinderella episode (I was thrilled to see the vegan girl show up in another chapter), the graphic novelist guy (decent generation gap commentary, and a rare one where the older guy complaining about "kids today" is clearly a hypocrite) and the one all in Spanish (although I did not car for the ending). My least favorites were probably the two beer brother ones. Not awful, just kind of meh. And the tween in me was giddy to see Orlando Bloom again. He still looks great!

I also loved that they set this in Chicago, and clearly shot during winter a few times. The shots of the Chicago winters and the snow falling were lovely.

Share Post

I don't think it's fair to say I had a "favorite" because I thought they were all pretty mediocre. I trudged through them mostly because I like some of the actors and each was a new entity with the potential to be good.

The main takeaway for me is that short films are very difficult to pull off.

Edited by lordonia.

Share Post

I got through the first 4...I'm probably out. Vegan Cinderella was by far the best for me, it was compelling and relatable, even sweet. Hated the brewery one, start to finish. Controlado was more interesting, although there was such sadness to it (especially knowing she could have gotten pregnant by the ex). Sadness might make an interesting and real story, but not one I enjoy watching.

TBH, real life is hard enough. I like to escape a little with my entertainment. This probably just wasn't the series for me.

ETA: Having lived in Chicago for 5 years after college, I always like seeing things filmed there. :)

Edited by snarktini.

Share Post

Very much enjoyed the season, especially the first episode. Great to see Piper's brother in a starring role! Intriguing look at a (slightly) nontraditional marriage. I liked that the ending was subtly open-ended. After he went over to talk to their children, did she again see him as a nuturing, beta male? (And fitting in with that theme - is he once again not as sexually attractive because he's more like a dad than a lover? I also loved the vegan Cinderella. Nice big meaty role for "Trouble" - I suspect Jacequeline, like Eliza Dushku, has a somewhat limited range, but I think she is convincing in that role. Also really liked her new girlfriend - I don't think I've ever seen her before.

I agree that the brewery story was initially not very interesting, but I loved that we saw a different side of things when we returned to the brothers in the last episode. It hadn't really struck me before how much of a weasel Cubicle Guy is, always avoiding conflict by hiding major events.  Ended up liking his younger brother far more. Amazing too how much he looks like his brother. Until I saw the credits, I wondered if that was James Franco popping up here.

Orlando Bloom is, as always, drop dead sexy. I didn't recognize him either, probably because I've never watched any Pirates of the Caribbean movies and always picture him as Legolas.

Looking forward to next season (hope there is one!) Maybe they could persuade Oprah to do a guest spot. Coming back home to visit friends perhaps, and she checks out the craft brewery.

Share Post

I enjoyed the whole anthology and liked various things about each episode

1. The Fucking Study - was vaguely interesting but I am not a huge Elizabeth Reaser fan.  I did like the idea it attempted to explore, but ultimately this one was eh, for me.

2. Vegan Cinderella  - was my favorite by far and mostly because of the sheer charm of Kiersy Clemons and Jacqueline Toboni.  And I also liked the underlying story but I loved the ending, just a bunch of girlfriends all hanging out.

3. Brewery Brothers - I am in the minority but I also enjoyed this one.  Mainly because we have a home brew set up in our basement and honestly if my husband could he would do that full time.  Also, Zazie Beetz (Van from Atlanta) and Aya Cash (Gretchen from You're the Worst) are in it and I love them to pieces!

4. Controlada - I loved that is was all in Spanish, but I could not watch this one without a load of anxiety because I was sure it was going to end with the wife and the friend doing something and the poor husband being cheated on.  And I HATED the friend  the minute he showed up because he disrespected their sofa!

5. Art and Liee - Probably my second favorite because the theme of using real people in your art was wonderfully explored and it ended in a way I did not expect.

6. Utopia - Orlando Bloom and Malin Ackerman have all sorts of smokin' hot chemistry.  But I felt all kinds of awkward on behalf of their friend in the threesome.  Poor thing.

7. Chemistry Read - Enjoyed seeing so many of the other characters pop up in this one, also Gugu was reading the graphic novel from Ep. #5.  This one felt a little melancholy, though.  But Gugu Mbatha-Raw is so pretty it is blinding.

8. Hop Dreams - I immediately recognized the kid from Hoop Dreams in the cold open, so that was fun.  And I enjoyed seeing the growing pains with the brothers and deepening relationship between the women.  That ending though... Eep.

Share Post

I am finishing up the second season. I like parts but hate parts. My main pet peeve is the unattractive schlub getting the cute girl trope . I forget the characters names, but the big married guy and old writer are whom I am referring to. I guess I don't mean unattractive but average men getting the bombshell. Why can't we have female counterparts to those two? Just bugs! And many of these characters are kind of unlikable.

Update: Now I get the episode where I have to eat my words on getting a female counterpart.  Sort of.  I still feel as if there is an imbalance in the storytelling here. Still, unlikable characters.

Edited by Enigma X.

Share Post