S06.E02: Haunted Motel 2016.10.09

Five remaining teams made up of an expert pumpkin carver, cake decorator and sugar artist go to battle to create delicious Halloween displays that capture the scariest haunted roadside motel ever seen.

At the end of the battle, one team will be eliminated with help from special guest judge Sid Haig, actor and horror icon who has appeared in several hits, including Halloween and The Devil's Rejects.

Share Post

This was a pretty good episode. In the small scare, I did not agree with the choice of the winner which was the Food Phantoms whose Medusa had the chopped off snakes on the sides of the head.  The paint job on the head looked clunky, the chopped off snakes were confusing and the snakes on the top were not well done. But in the end they were booted anyway. I thought the team who should have won the small scare did the victim's head that looked like it was melting as it was near the sack and had the eyeballs on Medusa's hair. In the final challenge, that was tougher. The bubble bath scenario was good...loved the scary curtain and towels, but agree that the spook carved out of pumpkin should have been painted white and then shaded. But those bubbles and other details were very good. The housekeeper from hell scenario was great with the sugar cart (amazing!), bloody soap and the folded towels on the cart. The housekeeper herself was clunky and seemed out of proportion to the cart. Loved the winner, Sugar Psychos, who did the front desk with the clerk, the dog, its collar, chain, bowl, etc. I would love to see that one in person. And their tasting element sounded delish (I think it was the one with the praline cream filled donuts). I am not familiar with Sid Haig but liked him as a judge. Jonathan was his usual goofy, irritating self. Come on teams...keep ramping it up!

Share Post

Yeah, I think the competition this year seems pretty good. I, too, liked the small scare sculpture with the sack and was surprised it didn't win.  Loved the  winning presentation, esp. the dog and the clerk.  I wasn't surprised at the losing team but felt really bad for the multiple loser who went home again.  I like him and hoped his team would go longer in the competition.  A question about that though - who decides the teams?  Are they put  together at random? 

Share Post

I didn't get the judging at all in this episode.  I thought the small scare winner looked liked crap.  I didn't get why they were raving over it.  At all.   In the main challenge, I thought the team that did the housekeeper was robbed.   I liked the bathroom too, but some of the fondant work was a little sloppy.    

As for the teams, I get the impression that the show assembles them.  I think they find whoever they can of each type of contestant and just put them together.  I doubt it's at random, though, as I'm sure they try to put people together who'll cause friction.  

Share Post

The Red team ( can't remember the name) is slowly self destructing.

the winning cake was amazing, as was the one with the maid cleaning up after the organ harvesting.

Share Post

I thought the scariest thing on this episode was Sid.  In the end, he seemed nice enough but he looked really creepy when he first walked out.

I agree with everyone above about the Small Scare.  I also think they picked the correct winner.  That whole hotel scene was terrific and the dog was just fantastic.  

Jewel is obnoxious.  She kept talking about teamwork while being a b**** to her teammates at the same time.  I was hoping her team would be eliminated just to get rid of her.

Share Post

Sid Haig is a horror movie actor, for those that were wondering. He's pretty funny, but seemed kind of serious here.

I think the Underbakers have overstayed their welcome. They're obviously not nearly as good as the others and they don't seem to get along at all. The rest are pretty impressive this year.

Also I really think the surreal melting face should have won the small scare. I also LOVED the cyborg, didn't see what the judges didn't see in it.

Share Post

I really don't like the winning team, still, but they do really good designs.  I loved the painted hallway next to the ckerk's desk. 

Jewel's chocolate pudding eyeball was alarming in its simplicity.  It must have tasted like heaven for Shin Min to be raving so much because I didn't see any creativity.

While I did not want the losing team to be the one to lose, I'm ok with it because the peanut butter hamburger also seemed to be a poor concept.  As long as The Underbakers go next, I hope.

Share Post

Yeah, I have to say that I laughed with glee when the pumpkin carver man on The Underbakers was the only one of that team that got praise for their small scare and the cake work / sugar work were both panned. Hee! Karma's a bitch.

Share Post