All Episodes Talk: Sittin' On A Bar Stool

Did you see the one where the skeevy bartender thinks that showing a woman a trick with his arm that supposedly shows her what her vagina looks like is a way to get in her pants?

Oh, and "Butt Funnel".

Share Post

Ohhh my goodness. I know this show is super scripted (with the voiceovers and editing and all that fun stuff) but I still find it great. The O'Face bar...am I allowed to talk about the whole episode here or do I need spoiler tags? That one was nuts!

Share Post

I noticed in the last episode two of the employees that worked there were new...one was there for only 3 days and one for a week and a half. Obviously the bar knows that they are possible choices to be picked, since someone has to install the cameras in there. I wonder if they do something similar to Extreme Home Makeover, where they contact 5 families (bars in this case) and tell them they might be there during a certain time period, and they "surprise" whoever is chosen? If that's the case here too, I wonder if the show was a deciding factor in both hiring new employees, and their choices to work there?

Share Post

I remember reading an interview with Taffer where he said the show tells the bars that they are installing the cameras and Jon won't show up for a few more days. He said he is surprised with how they seem to forget the cameras are there and slip into their usual tendancies. Not sure how believable that is, but it sure makes for good TV!

Shut it down!

Share Post

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

Did you see the one where the skeevy bartender thinks that showing a woman a trick with his arm that supposedly shows her what her vagina looks like is a way to get in her pants?

Oh, and "Butt Funnel".

No lie, the last corporate job I had had an odd, very narrow hallway to the ladies' restroom. Never failed me to say, Taffer!! under my breath as I made my way sideways to let someone pass. I mentioned it in passing to a new coworker who just about died laughing: we've bonded over our crazy WWJTD love ever since! 

Ohhh my goodness. I know this show is super scripted (with the voiceovers and editing and all that fun stuff) but I still find it great. The O'Face bar...am I allowed to talk about the whole episode here or do I need spoiler tags? That one was nuts!

OOooooooooo yes. Let's just skip the Spoilers Alert, Taffer Ahoy & say it's a Must Watch. Those freaks are just. . .freaky.

This is a similar note to how I feel about another show I watch in my Shameber: Restaurant Impossible (or Restaurant: Impossible!--whatever). . .2 things, if you'll allow me. 

1) Who the eff are these people whose family (usuz) and/or friends lend them, say, $250,000 to start "a dream I've always had". Hey, know what my dream is? Keeping the lights on and paying my internet bill so I can snark over here. Got some spare friendos because CLEARLY they'll back anyone, anytime. Especially people with no expertise at seemingly being able to balance a checkbook, much less run a business. Especially one fraught with so much SCIENCE!!

2) I love hate seeing it when a parent's dream/kid's dream becomes the nightmare of the reverse party. It's like this: I really always wanted to get into Irish Clogging; that said, I don't make my 12 y/o son do it and spend $100,000+ making it happen. Hey, if it's your dream? YOU make it happen, spoiled people.

That is all. Thanks for letting me have my say!

I noticed in the last episode two of the employees that worked there were new...one was there for only 3 days and one for a week and a half. Obviously the bar knows that they are possible choices to be picked, since someone has to install the cameras in there. I wonder if they do something similar to Extreme Home Makeover, where they contact 5 families (bars in this case) and tell them they might be there during a certain time period, and they "surprise" whoever is chosen? If that's the case here too, I wonder if the show was a deciding factor in both hiring new employees, and their choices to work there?

I always wonder how they pack the place. Free booze? Rotary club? Asking around? I'm sure there's some HGTV-esque stuff going on, but I'd really like to know. Where do those people come from? 

Share Post

Well, sleazy dude (who according to TMZ is apparently sleazy Doctor investing some of his money in a bar, not a struggling bar owner depending on a bar for his livelihood) is suing Taffer. He says that he threw a punch while his friends pinned Taffer down which left Taffer having a panic attack on the floor. The whole thing was so traumatic for sleazy Doctor that he ended up with "migraines, nausea, vomiting night terrors and crying spells."

Hopefullly this is a sign that sleazy Doctor's personal and professional reputation has suffered enough that he thinks his best option is to go after Taffer's dignity on TMZ, because I doubt he even thinks he's getting anywhere near a court with it.

Edited by Julia.

Share Post

So who pays for everything? It seems like it's always a complete remodel. New everything, top of the line equipment. I figure it must cost around $100k at least. I like the premise of the show, but because of the remodel they always do that skews it a bit. I mean, if you get everything new, and training on top of it of course the places should come out on top. If not, the owners are really idiots (which some are).

Edited by yanksno1.

Share Post

It's obvious BR does a ton of barter deals with equipment providers.  Is a $5K fryer worth exposure and kind words?  Seems a no-brainer to me.

The thing that most drives me to distraction in this series is the "planning" confab JT has with his consultant de la semaine (weekly).  As if that had not already been decided looooong before any production arrived on site!  Once in awhile, I can see JT catching himself from bursting out what BS it all is.  I wonder how many takes are required when they do these vignettes.  

Second on my list is the naked promotion of spirits as the way to go.  Really?  In some of these dumps in the worst locations?  Those customers are gonna pay a premium for Diageo offerings?  This also flies in the face of JT's oft-expressed customer safety mantra.  How many friends do you have who exhibit the discipline necessary to limit themselves to just one cocktail an hour?  How many of JT's clients would put up with a system where customers would only spend $30 and take up a (TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR!!!) seat all night?  

Share Post

I feel like the last few episodes Jon's been a kinder, gentler version of himself. Maybe it's just me, but perhaps TPTB have told him to tone it down a bit to seem more relatable? He actually seems less gorilla-like and more human.

Share Post

I am not sure how much I like this show, I think that I preferred FN's On The Rocks so much better for some reason.

Share Post

Are we really supposed to believe that within a time frame of 4 days they have approval to change a business name, signage and construction/design effects? I think not.

Share Post

How many friends do you have who exhibit the discipline necessary to limit themselves to just one cocktail an hour?  

One of Taffer's favorite factoids is that bars should offer food, because if a customer orders food, they'll stay forty extra minutes and order another drink from the bar. Forty minutes: not quite an hour. Apparently that's a transaction he's comfortable with.

Share Post

I think there was a new ep tonight, at least I don't remember seeing a bar with Taffer yelling about underage drinkers before...

Share Post

Yup, the new season started up tonight. A lot of the standard stuff, but seemed like a decent enough doover. Still, I'm shocked that Taffer would give up 2-3 tables worth of bar space for that false front. Plus that seems like a bad bottleneck for evacuation purposes. 

Share Post

Piratz Tavern is closing up shop.

The owner's frustration stems, in part, from her own fateful decision in early 2012, when she and her husband, Juciano, did something very un-pirate: They asked for help to rescue Piratz Tavern, where the sharks were circling. The couple requested a makeover from Spike TV's "Bar Rescue" and its host Jon Taffer, who's something of a one-eyed swashbuckler himself.  Tracy and Juciano hoped Taffer would plug the holes of their listing ship and save it from a rendezvous with Davy Jones' Locker.

Taffer and his crew had other ideas. They crunched the numbers on Silver Spring and noticed the city was flush with more than 200,000 worker bees, who quickly fled the area when their shifts were done. Taffer wanted to intercept them on their way home. So, in a 36-hour makeover, he transformed a pirate pub into, ahem, the Corporate Bar and Grill. Its logo was a faceless, clean-cut businessman in a suit and tie. The place featured "While You Were (Out)" notepads on the table. It had all the soul of a cubicle.

It is certainly one of the more famous 'rescues' of the series.

And of course, from the article, it sounds like Spike isn't missing the opportunity. By 'coincidence' I'm sure, they're airing the original episode the day after it shuts down, as well as a revisiting clip show that swung by the tavern again apparently. (Then again Spike repeats the episodes so often, any given week you're likely to find it air).

Share Post

I think this would have been an interesting candidate for a re-rescue show like the OC bikini bar got a couple months ago - Second Base, I think? And one of Taffer's more recent concepts would have done well there - the Corporate Bar & Grill concept was terrible.

Share Post

Not a big surprise there. I think the problem with a re-rescue is they were just way too determined to stay the way they were and didn't care very much if that failed.

Share Post

Not a big surprise there. I think the problem with a re-rescue is they were just way too determined to stay the way they were and didn't care very much if that failed.

They were too wedded to the way it was. It tells you that their home lives must have been a mess. They prioritized a failing business where they were barely making money because they felt accepted and loved at the bar.

Share Post

I saw the YouTube video Piratz posted when they burned the sign, complete with a "shanty" about how much Taffer sucks and how very clever they were (and so did Taffer, who talked to the press at the time). So, he was at least being super disengenuous about the timeline, they're at least being super disengenuous about being the innocent victims of people on the internet who mysteriously targeted them, and both of them were being super disengenuous about why and how Piratz was back on the show.

Taffer wanted to gloat, and the owners wanted to be on TV (which is why Juicy the proud rebel signed a release and let them bring cameras in). No-one to root for there.

Share Post

Piratz Tavern is closing up shop.

And of course, from the article, it sounds like Spike isn't missing the opportunity. By 'coincidence' I'm sure, they're airing the original episode the day after it shuts down, as well as a revisiting clip show that swung by the tavern again apparently. (Then again Spike repeats the episodes so often, any given week you're likely to find it air).

Ohhh, is THAT why they played that ep last night?

Share Post

I like the follow-up episodes.  Nice to see the success story in the bar that was Characters.  Taffer seems to have become more pro-theme bar since Piratz was "rescued" with the steampunk and zombie bars.  It would be interesting to see what he'd do with his current mindset without the past baggage.  On the other hand, Tracy & Juicy seem pretty set in their ways.  Their bar could be turned into Disneyland's Blue Bayou and they'd probably still want to go back to grog & burning bits.

Share Post

I think Tracy and Juicy should have been running a destination RPG resort, where no-one would have to drive anywhere after grog and they'd have a captive audience for the food and an excuse to do piratey things. 

Share Post

I thought the one they showed/rescued last night was interesting. It's in an area where a lot of my former co-workers lived and worked, and they would have loved that place after the remodel. (I worked remotely in another city).  I was really wondering how they made the windows look like that for 38th floor and kept wishing they'd give more info, but I thought they were very cool.

Share Post

OK, just how popular is an Old Fashioned? The bar spies always order it, they're always shocked when nobody knows how to make it, even in dive bars where 90% of the customers want beer.

Share Post

Probably about as popular as a negroni or a brandy alexander. Which is to say only really popular in bespoke cocktail bars, but the audience has probably heard of them.

Share Post

I asked my brother, who's gone from bartending to restaurant managing in places more upscale than Bar Rescue usually hits: "not really, in 10 years I think I made 5 of them."

Share Post

Old Fashioned is popular again because of the show Mad Men. Its also considered one of the six classic cocktails that people who go to bartender school are trained to make. 

http://iba-world.com/iba-cocktails/

So its basic 101 for bartenders. They are testing the bartender knowledge. 

Share Post

What's the deal with these ridiculous follow-up shows set in a night club with a shirtless DJ and a drunk audience?

Share Post

Ubiquitous I totally agree and posted this a while back. What is up with this dance club DJ show? The original is crappy enough without this. What's next, disco balls?

Share Post

I am sick of these stupid "Back to the bar" episodes. I tune in to see a regular show and am disappointed when this ridiculous thing comes on. Stick to what you're good at, Bar Rescue.

Share Post

I just feel like Taffer's forgotten rule one of bars, which is, JMO, that drunken people are generally only interesting and attractive to other drunken people. As soon as someone onscreen says Wooo! with intent, I'm outta there. 

Share Post

Could someone please tell the scrawny, pasty DJ to please put on a shirt and if you put one on, please button it?

Share Post

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:33 PM, DoctorK said:

Ubiquitous I totally agree and posted this a while back. What is up with this dance club DJ show? The original is crappy enough without this. What's next, disco balls?

I am pretty sure I saw a disco ball hanging in the middle of that room/club/set.

Share Post

I just saw the OFace episode for the first time. What a trainwreck those people are.  I wouldn't have bothered with them at all, but I know he had to stay at least long enough to make an entire episode. Don't they do the background checks before they decide to do the show? Did they purposely decide to ignore these hoping they'd get the mess they did? Because I have to admit, it's been one of my favorite episodes.

Share Post

My hub and I were in lovely Everett, WA recently and a bit out of sorts but peckish and in need of alcohol after attending a funeral. We needed sustenance of all kinds. We thought we would pop into Forbidden to check out a genuine rescued bar. The menu on the window sounded tasty - and in we went. UGH. The place is kind of dark and creepy, which I don't necessarily mind in a bar. But it SMELLED. You would like to get a whiff of good food after being lured in by an intriguing menu. But this was more like, what died and got ground into the carpet? We are not the most exacting of patrons, but we turned around and walked out.

i have to admit I didn't see the relevant episode, but was there talk of replacing carpet and making the place smell less like a morgue?

Edited by Tabbygirl521.

Share Post

On June 8, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

My hub and I were in lovely Everett, WA recently and a bit out of sorts but peckish and in need of alcohol after attending a funeral. We needed sustenance of all kinds. We thought we would pop into Forbidden to check out a genuine rescued bar. The menu on the window sounded tasty - and in we went. UGH. The place is kind of dark and creepy, which I don't necessarily mind in a bar. But it SMELLED. You would like to get a whiff of good food after being lured in by an intriguing menu. But this was more like, what died and got ground into the carpet? We are not the most exacting of patrons, but we turned around and walked out.

i have to admit I didn't see the relevant episode, but was there talk of replacing carpet and making the place smell less like a morgue?

I don't remember about carpet replacement but more than a couple of  Yelpers agree with you.

Share Post

On 5/10/2016 at 1:37 PM, Bunnyhop said:

Could someone please tell the scrawny, pasty DJ to please put on a shirt and if you put one on, please button it?

Took me a while,but now i know where i've seen that DJ before.. thats the guy who kept saying "ALL IN!" from that episode about the(now closed?)Cashmere bar in North Carolina

Share Post

Watching the episode with Black Light District in long beach ca, and they went to my old stomping grounds Alex's Bar. Great bar. I dj'd there fora few years andi really wish Alex had walked out and smacked that guy in the face.

Share Post

On 7/26/2016 at 11:59 AM, hatchetgirl said:

Watching the episode with Black Light District in long beach ca, and they went to my old stomping grounds Alex's Bar. Great bar. I dj'd there fora few years andi really wish Alex had walked out and smacked that guy in the face.

So that makes like the second time that Taffer has walked out on a rescue..dunno why he even wasted his time

Share Post

I think the guest bartender walked but they didn't show it. After he made a simple cocktail, the douche owner was really offensive about it and the guest just looked speechless.  We didn't see him again.  

The PP was correct.  This guy isn't punk, he's a white brah from North Long Beach. I bet he's got a stupid gigantic truck and has no friends of color darker than Gabe. 

Share Post

Rockin' Rhonda is clearly mentally ill and. has no  business RUNNING a business. Someone get her the help she needs. She's also a dreadful singer. If it makes her happy, great, but do it somewhere else and don't drive customers away.

And Cajun Belle lady, snark alert. I guess it's the new trailer trash fashion, but ratty, straw-like hair extensions arranged to either side of the shoulders to frame your breasts is...just gross.

Share Post

And in "Mother Knows Best," WTF with the single mother of 11 kids? Did it not occur to her she will have to feed this zoo? How about ONE kid?

Share Post

On 9/9/2017 at 0:52 PM, orangeiguana said:

Rockin' Rhonda is clearly mentally ill and. has no  business RUNNING a business. Someone get her the help she needs. She's also a dreadful singer. If it makes her happy, great, but do it somewhere else and don't drive customers away.

Her fake crying was making me crazy. I don't see how she could have possibly had the mental & emotional fortitude to be a stock broker as she claimed. She really could benefit from some therapy. I thought JT was impressively tender with her. I was also impressed that he chose a less flashy renovation & mostly just fixed that rotted floor & foundation. I google mapped it--- looks like the place is still around.

Share Post

We just had lunch at Codfather's Pub in Phoenix.  There was a videographer there doing a second visit to see whether the restaurant will be selected to appear on "Bar Rescue."

Great fish and chips and mushy peas . . . but the place seriously does need to be refurbished.

Share Post

Did I just see what I think I saw?

Promo for a new episode airing tonight: A NAKED MAN BATHING HIMSELF IN THE KITCHEN.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Edited by NowVoyager.

Share Post