Do You Need A Reason To Watch Agatha Raisin?

11 minutes ago, ApathyMonger said:

I gave up on the show not long into the pilot, but I might give it another shot.

Really, the pilot was a mess. The pace of the subsequent episodes makes a lot more sense.

Edited by Al Lowe.

Share Post

I mean, five episodes is sufficient to say I gave it a good try. I'm all up in the cozy business so it's not that I'm missing a sense of darkness or edge, but I guess I just don't cotton to Agatha although I like the actors well enough. The unrequited romance aspect is off-putting to me because I think it makes Agatha look silly. Well, the whole series is slapsticky and kind of inane.

Share Post

I'm still working my way thru the episodes and so far have enjoyed them as a good way to unwind after long work week. I found this interview with Ashley Jensen where she discusses how she shaped the character's wardrobe and gets a plug in asking viewers to make noise requesting another season:  Parade interview

Edited by mikeb.

Share Post

I mean, five episodes is sufficient to say I gave it a good try. I'm all up in the cozy business so it's not that I'm missing a sense of darkness or edge, but I guess I just don't cotton to Agatha although I like the actors well enough. The unrequited romance aspect is off-putting to me because I think it makes Agatha look silly. Well, the whole series is slapsticky and kind of inane.

I have to agree about the crush on James. Like, why? I feel like if they give it another season it will continue to come together. I will always want more Gemma/Roy, less James.

Share Post

I think Agatha's crush on James is somewhat balanced out by Bill's crush on Agatha.

Share Post

8 hours ago, lordonia said:

I have to agree about the crush on James. Like, why? I feel like if they give it another season it will continue to come together. I will always want more Gemma/Roy, less James.

Sidekicks Gem, Roy and Bill are the most fun for me.

I kinda developed perma-scowl about Agatha when she tried to score points in the village by cheating in the quiche contest. Who does that?

Also -- ALSO! -- the danged vet was not THAT good looking!

Share Post

I really enjoyed this show. Something light and silly (in a good way) that makes your day better. It reminds me a little of Miss Fisher, both are funny and you want to watch more.

Share Post

I also really enjoyed this show, but I took the advice not to watch the pilot so that might have added to my enjoyment. I am glad that Agatha's crush on James seems to not be so unrequited anymore. I was surprised that recurring characters were killed off though, surprised in a good way. Glad this got on my radar.

Share Post

I am only two episodes in (skipped pilot) but I quite like it. I've read a lot of the books and I appreciate the changes/updates they made. One thing I liked that they kept from the books is that James is kind of an ass. I am trying to parse it out so it doesn't go too quickly but based on the comments I'll have a hard time not zipping through.

Share Post

Are we supposed to be rooting for Agatha and James? James' behaviour regularly veers into being emotionally abusive. I'd rather she just had a FWB relationship with Charles, gave Bill a chance or found someone completely new.

Share Post

I really tried to like this. I'm a big Christie fan (well, all the Queens of the English Country Murder ie Ngaio Marsh, Josephine Tey, Dorothy Sayers) & also love detective shows. HOWEVER - listen - those original novels were NOT COZY. I completely hat that ridiculous moniker - it is so misleading about what was actually the point about, say, Miss Marple (as SHE says in several stories). Alas, this series also misses the point. It's worse than Murder She Wrote, which grated on my soul as well. Sorry.

Share Post