Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

13 hours ago, PaulaO said:

A president (can't remember who) died after eating cucumbers and drinking cold milk.

Zachary Taylor - he died of some non-specific digestive problem (his doctor called it "cholera morbus" which covered a lot of things, but not actual cholera, apparently) after supposedly consuming a large quantity of fruit and iced milk at a holiday celebration/fund-raising event at the Washington Memorial.

Share Post

A thunderstorm knocked out my satellite for most of Jeopardy! I just saw up to the first break and FJ - I could picture Melissa McCarthy and knew her first name, but her last name eluded me...but I knew who they wanted.

Sorry I missed Joanne's goofy guesses - I love goofy guesses, the goofier, the better:)

Share Post

13 hours ago, Roaster said:

Copying from J! website: 

FORBES SAYS JENNIFER LAWRENCE WAS THE HIGHEST-PAID ACTRESS IN 2016; THIS ALLITERATIVE WOMAN WAS SECOND

Ashamed to say I could not come up with it: Melissa McCarthy

I said, "Who is Jennifer Jawrence?"

I like Melissa McCarthy and have since Gilmore Girls, but didn't even think of her.

Share Post

"'U.S. Herstory,' not history."  Um, no shit, Alex.

I am SO glad the Arnie category was over quickly so Alex would stop that godawful accent.

Share Post

*Sigh* I could watch Baryshnikov videos on Youtube for hours.

Share Post

I didn't realize Baryshnikov was that age in 1967 and also guessed Nureyev.

For TS I got postal service and Pekinpah, and the DD Assyria. Jeopardy! loves the Dreyfus Affair so FJ was an instaget.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Ditto.  I knew it was one of those two, but picked the wrong one.

I said pony express instead of postal service, and since Alex said it too, I think it would have been ruled correct.  I also got the Gila River and Pigeon Forge.  It probably doesn't hurt that Pigeon Forge is only about a three-hour drive from where I live. 

However, I had a complete brain fart for FJ and couldn't come up with anything.

Share Post

TS I got were Gila,  Peckinpah, Pigeon Forge & Baryshnikov. What do you get when you mix Borscht with Bolshoi? Borshoi of course. Had no clue about FJ today.

Share Post

I got Pony Express and Peckinpah and Baryshnikov.  Mikhail was the only name who came to me. 

FJ was not even in reach for me.

I really wanted to like Meghan but she kept saying the whole category and "hundret" and also had some wacky guesses.

Share Post

Alex corrected the pronunciation of "plantain" the only way I've ever heard it. 

Today is San Jacinto Day in Texas.  So glad Sam Houston wasn't Speaker of the House.

Share Post

had no idea on FJ tonight

Melissa McCarthy from last night......ughh, not a big fan of hers, never would have thought of her. 

Sam Wal and Borshoi?  ANd he won the game?  Pretty weak. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73.

Share Post

Sorry to see Nilanka go.  David annoys me for some reason.  Maybe I don't want to hear about contestants wandering around naked in hotels.  I'm glad I'm not the only nitpicker who couldn't stand the way Meghan pronounced hundred oddly.

I got pony express, Kangaroo Island, Pigeon Forge, Baryshnikov, and Rodeo.

The category name for FJ was misleading.  Instead of 19th Century Europe why wasn't it 19th Century European Literature?  I would think that might affect how the contestants wagered.  Nevertheless, I was clueless.

Share Post

13 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The category name for FJ was misleading.  Instead of 19th Century Europe why wasn't it 19th Century European Literature?  I would think that might affect how the contestants wagered.  Nevertheless, I was clueless.

I think "literature" would mislead a lot of people toward fiction. This was an open letter to the president concerning real events.

Share Post

I knew FJ! pertained to Zola and Dreyfus but didn't come up with  j'accuse (said in Tony Randall playing Felix Unger voice)

Share Post

25 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I think "literature" would mislead a lot of people toward fiction. This was an open letter to the president concerning real events.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Share Post

I said Pony Express -- Was that right or wrong? Alex confused me.

I guessed Snake River, but when that was ruled wrong, I immediately guessed Gila. Second guesses don't count. 

I got Pigeon Forge and Sam Peckinpah. In the Ballet category, I first said Baryshnikov, then thought it must be Nureyev, so I didn't get that right either.

I misunderstood what FJ was asking for, so I guessed Emile Zola. I'm not sure I would have come up J'Accuse.

Share Post

I liked David's thrilled/surprised reaction to winning, but his story is the stuff of nightmares. So much so that I would have the part of my brain that held that memory removed, therefore it could never be my Jeopardy contestant story. 

When the Schwarzenegger category was announced Dr. Toothbrush said, "Alex is going to attempt the accent, isn't he"? 

American "Her"story...sigh

TS I got were pony express (maybe), Kangaroo Island (total guess), Pigeon Forge, the DD of Baryshnikov, & FJ J'Accuse. FJ took a bit, so not sure I would have had time to write it, but knew it was regarding the Dreyfus Affair & written by Emile Zola right away. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I knew FJ! pertained to Zola and Dreyfus but didn't come up with  j'accuse

I knew exactly what they wanted, I even said "Emile Zola...Dreyfus Affair...J'Accuse...but what the hell was the name of what he wrote?"

What a maroon!

Share Post

Maybe I don't want to hear about contestants wandering around naked in hotels.

Hah! That's what Mr. Author said.

LOL "what a maroon." I haven't heard that expression in ages. Thanks, Moose135. Now I'm gonna use it when I talk about politicians (I say fuckwit when I'm really pissed off).

Share Post

13 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

What do you get when you mix Borscht with Bolshoi? Borshoi of course.

I was thinking of the Russian wolfhound, aka the Borzoi!

Share Post

The guy had already given half of Sam Walton's name a few clues before, I'm not sure why Alex dragged out his mis-speak on Bolshoi.  I thought it was kind of mean.

Especually since at the beginning of the game Alex himself stumbled and said "Nitlanta" instead of Nilanka.

Edited by mojoween.

Share Post

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

LOL "what a maroon." I haven't heard that expression in ages. Thanks, Moose135. Now I'm gonna use it when I talk about politicians (I say fuckwit when I'm really pissed off).

I always give Likes when someone uses that expression. 

Share Post

I'm not sure I would have come up J'Accuse.

Of course you would have. The correct response would HAVE to have something AT could pronounce in French.

Share Post

Ugh. I was hoping the tech guys would lock out David's buzzer, after that dreadful and completely inappropriate interview. Hope he's one-and-done. I liked Meghan, but wondered if she knew that top made it look like she wasn't wearing much.

I kind of got FJ -- I said, Zola wrote "J'accuse" but I think they want the name of the piece that he was replying to -- I think I was confuing the Dreyfus Affair with a feud between two other French writers, so I was trying to come up with another article or book or something.

Share Post

I thought Meghan's top was interesting because where it hit her neckline, it made it look like her neck was super sunburned.

Share Post

48 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I liked Meghan, but wondered if she knew that top made it look like she wasn't wearing much.

I didn't notice that, but maybe that is why Dr. Toothbrush mentioned how cute she was almost every time she was on camera. I liked her look, though, and wish my hair were straight enough to wear it like hers.  

Share Post

I got Rodeo, Barishnikov, and J'Accuse, amongst others, but I completely blanked on the animal geography category. I think Nureyev had already defected by the year mentioned in the clue, and Agnes DeMille = Rodeo for me. The year of FJ plus France pointed me immediately to J'Accuse.

Oh, and I went with Pony Express, too.

Edited by Sharpie66.

Share Post

15 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Agnes DeMille = Rodeo for me.

When I hear "Rodeo" I think of Copeland more than DeMille. I hope my brain is now debugged.

Share Post

I cannot remember what David said in his interview now .  What was it he said ? 

Share Post

1 hour ago, halfpint ingals said:

I cannot remember what David said in his interview now .  What was it he said ? 

I frequently mute the interviews (sorry), so I can't help except to post this:

Share Post

Loved David's interview story...he's fun and I hope he's around for a while....wouldn't have minded any one of them winning, though.

Share Post

I thought she said "slash fiction" and was eagerly awaiting her description of it to AT. Needless to say, I was grossly disappointed.

Share Post

I know slash fiction but have no clue what flash fiction is.

Share Post

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I know slash fiction but have no clue what flash fiction is.

Really short stories.

Share Post

If they are around 100 words (or fewer) they are usually referred to as "drabbles".

Share Post

On ‎04‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

I did the same thing, and I adore Baryshnikov so I should've known better.  Plus, I actually knew (or used to) that Nureyev had already defected to the West by 1967.  Oy vey!

On ‎04‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Sharpie66 said:

Agnes DeMille = Rodeo for me

Indeed.

Share Post

I knew it was related to the Dreyfus Affair but it took me a few seconds to get J'Accuse and even then I wasn't 100% sure it was the actual title. 

Share Post