Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

watching the teen  tourney and i want to like porter but his guesses are horrible.  he has to be smarter than he appears. 

Share Post

Question for all of you who get the rerun Jeopardy from last year too (mine is called Daytime Jeopardy).  I thought we were supposed to get rerun tournaments on that one also, but yesterday's was just a random game from June of last year.  I'll take any jeopardy except the kid's tournament, but wonder what's going on...

I enjoyed the teen tournament rerun yesterday.  I actually enjoy teenagers, but it has always bothered me when they put a freshman against a senior for example.  There's so much difference between the 9th grade and seniors in maturity and knowledge...

Share Post

OK, I guess I missed this Teen Tournament show the first time around.

But come on, Alex!  The Great Wall of China most certainly was "built by living creatures."  People  are living creatures!

It was still incorrect because it's not "about half the size of Texas," and it's not really easy to see from space (too narrow & blends into the landscape.)

Share Post

18 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I suppose it's wrong to want to punch a kid.

No, it's not.  Porter (from yesterday) and Sabrina made me stabby punchy.

Share Post

1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

OK, I guess I missed this Teen Tournament show the first time around.

But come on, Alex!  The Great Wall of China most certainly was "built by living creatures."  People  are living creatures!

It was still incorrect because it's not "about half the size of Texas," and it's not really easy to see from space (too narrow & blends into the landscape.)

And the category was "Natural Wonders" or similar. That's the real killer, IMO.

Share Post

I must have seen this tournament when it first aired - I definitely remember being astonished that all three teenagers didn't know the last line of their national anthem.

Share Post

Lol the kids didnt know the last four words of their national anthem 😂And fj is natural wonders NATURAL hello great wall hahaha when i heard it can be seen from space boom The great barrier reef 👍

Share Post

I knew FJ last night!  Of course, now I'm not sure if I knew it on its own or just remembered the answer from the last time I watched the episode.  I think I got it correctly last time though. 

Share Post

16 hours ago, Jesse said:

And the category was "Natural Wonders" or similar. That's the real killer, IMO

Oh well, that too!  I forgot the category, and I don't record reruns so I couldn't check.

But Alex saying the Great Wall wasn't built by "living creatures" just had me shaking my head!  I think the people who built it might beg to differ ( I mean, they're all dead now, but still!)  

Share Post

17 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

But Alex saying the Great Wall wasn't built by "living creatures" just had me shaking my head!  I think the people who built it might beg to differ ( I mean, they're all dead now, but still!)  

I thought his point was that they used "living creatures" intentionally. If the answer was The Great Wall that would be a messed up way of describing who built it.

Share Post

I felt sorry for poor little 8th grader, Leeyu, yesterday, but I was impressed with her ability to even get on the Teen Tournament.  Alec was very smart, and deserved to win, but he was a buzzer masher extraordinaire and kind of smug.  

Share Post

I must've missed tonight's episode the first time around, I was impressed by all three of these kids. They were all great competitors. Lucia made gutsy wagers that paid off for her. Glad Connor won though. To put freshmen in with seniors is a bit uneven (3 years of additional knowledge is a lot in high school) but it worked out for him today. 

Share Post

On 2017-08-03 at 8:18 PM, Miss Chevious said:

To put freshmen in with seniors is a bit uneven (3 years of additional knowledge is a lot in high school)

There were even a couple of grade eight students in the mix this time - I think that is just too young to possibly go up against high school seniors.

I've enjoyed rewatching this past week.  I have actually forgotten who won - I won't look it up so it will be a surprise to me again:).

Share Post

I don't remember seeing any 8th graders in the mix--freshmen would be 9th graders, and I thought that all of them had "high school" designations--freshman, sophomore, junior, senior.  It's not up to the producers to make kids who otherwise qualify wait to compete.  I think it's more on the kids and their parents if the student decides to compete as a freshman or senior.  I would say junior year is the best, so you have as much experience but still have time to put it on college applications.  I'm sure that's a big thing that few people can claim!

Share Post

Leeyu and Jasmine were both eighth-graders.  You can verify this by checking the J! Archive.  And in both cases I think it put them at a huge disadvantage.  Jasmine did better because someone obviously advised her during the first break, per what Alex said, to stop hammering frantically at the buzzer and flailing around.  Leeyu kept going for the bottom clue first even after repeatedly having no answer.  If I were a parent, I'd suggest my kid wait a couple of years and then show him or her what happens when you jump the gun and don't have the knowledge or maturity to compete against older kids.  There've been exceptions, but these two girls were definitely out of their depth at their age.

Share Post

On 8/1/2017 at 4:53 PM, The Wild Sow said:

But they're all dead now. :p

Share Post

I can't remember who won this tournament, but I certainly hope it wasn't Michael.  Blech!

Share Post

So many really smart girls - I was very disappointed none of them ended up in the final.

Share Post

So glad the guy on the right (Alec? Alex?) lost the big money by one dollar.  There's something about him that rubs me the wrong way.  He seems arrogant and spoiled. After he lost, he went into a frowning pout that was childish and embarrassing.

Share Post

1 minute ago, Gemma Violet said:

So glad the guy on the right (Alec? Alex?) lost the big money by one dollar.  There's something about him that rubs me the wrong way.  He seems arrogant and spoiled. After he lost, he went into a frowning pout that was childish and embarrassing.

Yeah I didn't like him either. 

The winner obviously had the math all figured out and bet that way on purpose.  Didn't matter if it was a dollar or $10000, he was going to lose as long as the winner got FJ correct. 

Which was a pretty easy question

Share Post

Loved that finish.!  I know I saw it the first time around but I really couldn't remember how it ended up.  I cheered.  It was fantastic that the champ (Narath?) calculated that he would still win by $1 even if if Alec wagered everything (which he did).  The look on Alec's face was kind of priceless.         

Share Post

I did think it was funny that Alec was unable to do the math to figure out that he lost until Alex said it.

I'd never heard of the Mayflower Compact, though, so I wouldn't have got FJ today. Although if I had, it wouldn't have been a huge leap to think of documents that relate to a ship. I'm guessing from the reactions here and elsewhere that it is a fairly standard part of American education.

Then again, this is the same tournament in which none of the kids could come up with the last lines of their own national anthem.

Share Post

I loved how Michael turned and shook the winner's (I can't remember his name) hand at the end. A very classy response. I didn't see this tournament when it originally aired, and I was really impressed with all the kids, but the champion had so much poise and was so calm the entire time that I was thrilled to see him win. 

Share Post

I'm so glad Sharath won the Teen Tournament.  Nice, likeable, smart kid.

----------

Now we have the College Tournament.  I remember Lily with her scrunched up sleeves, starting her sentences with "so", and her extremely annoying board hopping.  She's just as insufferable this time around.  Ugh.

Share Post

I tried to watch tonight, but after Lily's first pick, I switched to MASH on  tvland.  Her annoying board-hopping was bad enough the first time around.  I can't stand it again.

Share Post

I agree totally. I couldn't stand her the first time she was on. So I turned off as soon as I saw she was on again. No way I could watch her a second time.

Share Post

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I tried to watch tonight, but after Lily's first pick, I switched to MASH on  tvland.  Her annoying board-hopping was bad enough the first time around.  I can't stand it again.

I might have to do the same....

Share Post

I don't like board hopping or daily double hunting at all, but I realize from a strategy standpoint it's probably in the contestant's best interests to do so. Lilly was super-annoying the first time around, and I didn't really care to watch it all over again, so I didn't. :-)

Share Post

Are we still in tournament reruns?  I caught the tail end of Friday's college tournament. 

Share Post

Does that mean the new season starts Sept. 11?  Yay, new Jeopardy!

Share Post

Oh, good. There's a "Fall Book Preview" at the library tomorrow evening, so I won't have to "miss" J! to go. Same with the condo board meeting the following Tuesday. Color me happy!!

Share Post

The Teachers Tournament is the lamest.  It's easier than Kids' Week.

Share Post

3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

The Teachers Tournament is the lamest.  It's easier than Kids' Week.

True, but at least the teachers are dressed nicely and aren't board hopping and being all emo like those college jerks last week.  And no pop culture/video games/rap music categories is also a big plus.  

Share Post

45 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

When does this come back? I feel I'm getting stupider not watching it every day.

It returns on September 11. Wondering who the heck the champ is? Shadi Peterman, who has won two games.

Share Post

17 hours ago, rubaco said:

It returns on September 11. Wondering who the heck the champ is? Shadi Peterman, who has won two games.

I don't remember that woman at all.

I'm enjoying the Teachers Tournament.  It makes me feel like a genius.

Share Post

11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm enjoying the Teachers Tournament.  It makes me feel like a genius.

I was going to say -- @Writing Wrongs, watching the re-run of the Teachers Tournament may not make you any smarter, but it sure makes you feel smarter!

Share Post

Some of those teachers ..... If I was a parent and my child had that teacher, I'd demand that the child was relocated!

Share Post

1 minute ago, PaulaO said:

For decades I thought Alfred Nobel was Swedish.....

At the risk of sounding dumb...isn't he?

I always thought he was...and I googled it and he is described as Swedish and was born in Stockholm. Sounds pretty Swedish to me.

Share Post

The clue in Capital Attractions was "The Peace something, maybe museum". The answer was Oslo so I assumed I had been wrong forever.  The Peace Price is awarded in Oslo, all the other prizes in Stockholm.  I'm glad I haven't been wrong all these years.  I am a proud Swede.  

Share Post