Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

I'm' currently reading The Age of Innocence so I thought for a second "Aggghhhh!!! Spoiler alert!" - then realized I can't complain about spoilers when reading a book written almost a hundred years ago. But the line wasn't particularly revealing, anyway. Phew!

I work in Hematology, so spend my days with plasma - that one was definitely an instaget for me!

Had no clue for FJ. Not sure if I even knew that was a song!

Share Post

Not sure if I even knew that was a song!

It's an anthem and I guess an anthem is considered a song.

That said, I didn't have a clue (for FJ).

Share Post

For whatever reasons Hail to the Chief popped into my head instantly.

Share Post

8 hours ago, secnarf said:

Because he is from Winnipeg? Although I didn't think he sounded *that* different from his opponents. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.

It wasn't an accent issue, or it didn't seem like one. It was all these random big words and proper nouns where he was pronouncing them like he'd only read them in books before but never heard them. I can't even come up with an example, sadly, as I haven't had coffee yet, haha

Share Post

I didn't get to watch last night but my newspaper had a little blurb about Justin's second win and when they showed what he has won so far all I can think about is that NY is going to take 40%.  It's why I would be so pissed to get on Jeopardy! and come in third.

Share Post

The pronunciation thing I noticed from the Canadian guy was intestines to rhyme with "fork tines," but there may have been others. 

Share Post

32 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The pronunciation thing I noticed from the Canadian guy was intestines to rhyme with "fork tines," but there may have been others. 

That's the British pronunciation, too.  I'd almost forgotten he was from Canada until he said that.

Share Post

No clue as to FJ!  Last month I was in Scotland and felt like I should know the answer.

Share Post

Whenever I hear Hail to the Chief I always think of the lyrics "Hail to the Chief, he's the chief and he needs hailing..." I can't remember where that came from.

Share Post

The movie with Jim Garner and Jack Lemmon, My Fellow Americans. I love that movie.  They are two ex-presidents from opposing political parties who end up on the run with each other.  And they admit at different points that they had each made up lyrics to sing in their heads to the music when they heard it played.  That one was James Garner's.  Lemmon's was "Hail to the chief or I'll blow your little head off..."

Somehow that made it an instaget for me. 

Edited by Ailianna.

Share Post

Hail to the chief, he's the chief and he needs hailing, he is the chief so let's everybody hail our butts off!

Share Post

The only ts I remember getting is rhinestone - cubic zirconia seemed an odd answer to something named after a river.

I liked fellow Canadian George but he didn't get FJ so that's that.  I still like Justin. 

Almost an instaget FJ for me, just a couple of seconds of thought.  My older son got married a couple of weeks ago; he had asked for suggestions for his entrance music and I jokingly suggested Hail to the Chief - he didn't think that would go over too well:)

Share Post

6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

It wasn't an accent issue, or it didn't seem like one. It was all these random big words and proper nouns where he was pronouncing them like he'd only read them in books before but never heard them. I can't even come up with an example, sadly, as I haven't had coffee yet, haha

I didn't notice anything about his pronunciation, but as someone who remembers being corrected on the pronunciation of "island" during a class read-aloud, I feel like sticking up for him now!

Share Post

8 hours ago, dcalley said:

I didn't notice anything about his pronunciation, but as someone who remembers being corrected on the pronunciation of "island" during a class read-aloud, I feel like sticking up for him now!

I know, me too. There's a word or two I knew only from reading, and when I think back on how I must have said it out loud, I cringe just a little. 

The feed for Jeopardy was so bad we had to stop watching. Lots of digital artifacts, missed sound, etc.  First we switched on closed captioning, and then the recording stopped entirely. So we missed most of it. :( 

Share Post