Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I doubt they are actually paying for advertising promoting insurance fraud.

It's not fraud if you don't have to lie about the cause because insurance is going to cover it either way. It might be cheaper to pay off a few extra claims than be investigating each one.

Edited by LoneHaranguer.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

In addition to finding the tradition offensive, I'm stumped by the pointlessness -- if the male being asked for permission/blessing says, "No, you cannot ask my daughter/mother to marry you," what then? 

Actually, the tradition of asking a parent (or other loved one) for a women's hand in marriage was always done AFTER first proposing marriage to the woman.

My husband is first-generation American.  He proposed to me and then days later asked my mother (my father is deceased) for my hand.  She was charmed by it, and so was/am I.  I don't know what you find so offensive about this.  To me, marriage is the joining of two families, and this is illustrative of that.

I couldn't stand the commercial where the guy asked his girlfriend's daughter for permission to marry her mother only because the guy talked in a breathless, panting, serial killer voice.

Share Post

8 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I don't know what you find so offensive about this.

Because it treats the woman like property to be handed off from one man to another (there's a reason it's the man doing the asking), and that's made all the worse in this commercial when the "man" being asked is her young son. 

8 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Actually, the tradition of asking a parent (or other loved one) for a women's hand in marriage was always done AFTER first proposing marriage to the woman.

But what happens if he says no?  The timing doesn't change my confusion -- if they still get married, then it's pointless for him to have been asked (and if he has veto power over her decision to get engaged, then we're back to the offensiveness).

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

It's not fraud if you don't have to lie about the cause because insurance is going to cover it either way.

Ah, the Greek restaurant defense! :)  Coincidentally, in Chicago, they call it "Greek Lightning."

Edited by Tom Holmberg.

Share Post

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

If one or both of them had said no (for some invalid reason, not because they knew something horrible about him), would you not have married him? 

I would have been pretty surprised if either one had had said no, so I honestly never thought about it!  To answer your question, I would have married him anyway.  (See either way I think a person answering this is screwed - you either listen to your kids OR you say yes to the dress.)

He asked them after he asked me if that makes any difference.  They were like, "Uh, sure.....you guys ARE adults, right?"  It was kinda funny.

I do believe the asking for a hand in marriage in years past is based on property,  but in reality no one today thinks of women as property, it is just a nice thing to do.  I am 53 (52 when I wed for the second time) self supporting, own a home, car, etc, no one thinks of me as property.  My kids weren't "handing me off" to a man, just like my dad (had he been alive when I wed the first time) would not have been "handing me off."

I think the commercial is cute although I would never buy a Neil Lane ring from Kay Jewelers.  I do not like Kay!  "Every kiss begins with Kay" is waaaay more offensive than this ad, lol!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

But what happens if he says no?  The timing doesn't change my confusion -- if they still get married, then it's pointless for him to have been asked (and if he has veto power over her decision to get engaged, then we're back to the offensiveness).

I think a "no" is supposed to be accompanied by some compelling reasons that the couple may not be aware of (e.g. she's his sister) so that they can reevaluate whether to continue with their plans.

Share Post

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because it treats the woman like property to be handed off from one man to another (there's a reason it's the man doing the asking), and that's made all the worse in this commercial when the "man" being asked is her young son. 

There are several wedding traditions based on that premise; e.g., the father "giving away" his daughter.  Obviously, women can propose marriage, too, and no one thinks the man is someone's property to be handed off to the woman.  Do you find it offensive if a man holds a door open for you?  Do you suspect he thinks you're too weak to open the door yourself?  There are lots of old-fashioned traditions that still crop up from time to time, and while I find some of them amusing, I don't think I could say any of them offend me.

Edited by Ilovecomputers.

Share Post

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, chenoa333 said:

Holy fuck! Those prices are insane! It's Pharmaceutical Rape! I'm so sorry you and your hubby are having to deal with health problems and unaffordable medication😿

I hope things get better.

Looking for different avenues that offer better insurance, but finding it hard to find one that pays well.  If it gets to the year that I have on the freebies, we decided I'm going to use a credit card to pay our way to the deductible, and let the insurance cover it after that.  Then I'll have a year to pay off my deductible.  Sucks that you have to even consider that.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, BigBingerBro said:

The Whole Foods commercial where the extremely happy millennial girl is listening to music and dancing up and down the aisles while shopping grates on my last nerve.   As if we need to encourage more people to be inconsiderate to others while in public these days.  Someone should shove an Instacart flyer in her face.

We were at a restaurant with a buffet a few weeks back, and a middle school age kid decided to give an impromptu dance recital in everyone's way.  Anyone who pushed past, said "excuse me" or was visibly unamused got an ugly look from her mom, who thought it was adorable.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, sempervivum said:

Progressive 'Act your age Buy your own insurance'- featuring an infuriating millennial baby-man who's being wheeled around in a grocery cart, where he pushes stuff off shelves and drinks milk out of the carton. Later we see him in a (?) daycare, where he's frightened by a pop-up book. Sadly, I know far too many guys who actually dress the way this idiot does (like a six year old) and whose behavior isn't much more mature.

I must admit to chuckling when he opens the pop-up book, but not at anything else.

Share Post

This one has to be seen to be believed. Carl Buddig trying to pass off lunch meat wrapped around a giant stick of cheese as a "healthy snack." I actually couldn't believe what I was seeing. (Correction - they don't actually say "healthy," just "quick" and a "protein boost.")

Edited by iMonrey.

Share Post

Looking for different avenues that offer better insurance, but finding it hard to find one that pays well.  If it gets to the year that I have on the freebies, we decided I'm going to use a credit card to pay our way to the deductible, and let the insurance cover it after that.  Then I'll have a year to pay off my deductible.  Sucks that you have to even consider that.

I use a broker at Health Markets, have been ever since I couldn't get the website at the Exchange to work for me. It's free and they shop all the different plans for you. I love it.

Share Post

The Hershey bar commercials. The music/song is just annoying to me. Same with Chili’s and the repetitive baby back rib song. Ughhhhhh.

Share Post

41 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The Hershey bar commercials. The music/song is just annoying to me. Same with Chili’s and the repetitive baby back rib song. Ughhhhhh.

The gold one? I swear they show that one eleventy billion times a day. Or the "Whenever you're lucid" one? Same there.

Share Post

2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

We were at a restaurant with a buffet a few weeks back, and a middle school age kid decided to give an impromptu dance recital in everyone's way.  Anyone who pushed past, said "excuse me" or was visibly unamused got an ugly look from her mom, who thought it was adorable.

MIND YOUR KIDS!  Damned inconsiderate people!

Share Post

This commercial runs at least five times an hour.  This video is from last year (you can tell from the date on it), but it's the exact same ad this year with a new date on it.

Shut up!!!!!

Edited by Silver Raven.

Share Post

The new Chevy Black Friday event ad is making me crazy.  These people are simply lathering, orgasmic over these vehicles.  I would only have that reaction if they GAVE me one of their SUVs.  And maybe not even then.

Share Post

Luckily, I havent seen that Whore Foods commercial. I hate that store. And it's really pathetic that only wealthy people can afford healthy, organic food. I've purchased minimally priced pre-made  items from there such as deli sandwiches, chicken salad etc but wasn't impressed. I'm sure the only items that are worth their high prices are the meats and seafood. 

Fuck them. 😁

Share Post

My Whole Foods doesn't charge prices that are any more expensive than other grocery stores in the area, and the quality is almost always better.

Share Post

How about the stupid skittles commercial about skittles pox where the stupid girl pulls a skittle off of the kids face and eats it and then asks if they're contagious. That commercial creeps me out every time.

Share Post

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

My Whole Foods doesn't charge prices that are any more expensive than other grocery stores in the area, and the quality is almost always better.

I believe you, but that's not true where i live. 

Share Post

My Whole Foods prices vs other grocery stores may be because I live in a high cost of living area. I also found once Amazon bought Whole Foods every day prices dropped and a lot more products are on sale.

Share Post

5 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Mom would have gotten a look from me that would melt lead. I am a bitchface master. As I shoved past her and her annoying crotchfruit. Sometimes I feel like the only one who actually disciplines their kids and expects them to behave. Granted, it doesn't always happen, but I do my best. My husband and I refuse to raise wild animals. 

Share Post

On 11/6/2018 at 7:31 PM, andromeda331 said:

All of this yes. In-laws are going to understand your three year old probably not. But the part that bugs me is she didn't realize water did that much damage. She's never watch the news? Seen what happens in hurricanes and the aftermath? Big storms. But also her husband is in the military and this is what rocked her world? He's never told her the crap he's seen? Places he's been stationed, never been deployed to hurricane or other disaster areas? Storms where ever he was deployed? My dad still talks about typhoon season he experienced during Vietnam. Every time one hits he brings it up again. How bad it was. He did search and rescue. He still talks about all the places he's had to rescue people. Being called out on Thanksgiving during a blizzard to go rescue someone in the mountains. Having a spouse in the military she should be even more aware of how bad things can be not "shocked" and having her world "rocked" by a water leak?

I live up the road from the Coast Guard Academy. And a naval base. And General Dynamics, where submarines are built. Those folks must loooove this spot. We have old family friends where the dad and all the kids were in the Navy. Their spouses experienced some genuinely catastrophic things during deployments; on their behalf, I declare this ad to be ass.

Edited by spaceghostess.

Share Post

Any Old Navy commercial annoys me.  I am not sure why but they just do.  I really get annoyed when they have the entire cast of the commercial stand together at the end of the commercial.  

Also, this one doesn't annoy me but it perplexes me.  This commercial is for Cricket Wireless were the green fuzzball character is singing the jingle for the company while wiping himself/itself with a towel.  Anyway, the green fuzzball drops the towel just as a P.A. enters his trailer to summon him to the set.  Once the P.A. sees that green fuzzball has dropped his towel the P.A. hurriedly walks away as the oblivious green fuzzball says, "Whoops."

Okay what perplexes me about this commercial is, they are obviously saying that sans towel green fuzzball is naked and therefore folks are not supposed to see him naked.  However, in every commercial prior to that one that featured green fuzzball, green fuzzball is in his birthday suit.  So why is it a big deal to see him naked if he clearly has no issue with being naked because the dude walks around naked all of the time.

Yes I have too much time on my hands, but damnit I want an answer to my green fuzzball question!

Share Post

I always hated The Addiction Network's ads, but after seeing Last Week Tonight's segment on these outfits, I violently, deeply, despise them. I can't even with the manipulative bullshit they're shoveling toward addicts and their families. Whenever I see/hear the fake doctor in those spots, I want to kick him in the face.

Edited by spaceghostess. Reason: Needed additional descriptives to adequately express hatred for Addiction Network and all they stand for

Share Post

5 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

I always hated The Addiction Network's ads, but after seeing Last Week Tonight's segment on these outfits, I violently, deeply, despise them. I can't even with the manipulative bullshit they're shoveling toward addicts and their families. Whenever I see/hear the fake doctor in those spots, I want to kick him in the face.

I hate those commercials too. Do you have a link to the report? 

Share Post

6 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Yes I have too much time on my hands, but damnit I want an answer to my green fuzzball question!

Apparently GFBall is related to Donald Duck, who runs around with only a sailor top on. Yet if something happens where his top gets ripped off him, he covers his nether regions with his wings/hands. Even as a child, I wondered about the stupidity of that.

Share Post

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I hate those commercials too. Do you have a link to the report? 

Yup. To be more accurate, it's really a segment on the need for oversight in the rehab industry in which T.A.N. is briefly mentioned (about halfway through) as an example of a conduit through which addicts are funneled to random rehabs. They earn for every referral, and that's all they want: lots of desperate people calling so T.A.N. can make money. After seeing this report, I just automatically associate T.A.N. and places like it with sketchy practices that prey on people at their most vulnerable.

Share Post