S01.E05: DESIGNATED ALLIES! 2014.04.13

Gibson uses his wife Janice to gain information about the CIA’s covert soldier program. Dunn and Finley go off grid, becoming targets of the CIA when they take drastic measures to get information. Meanwhile, Meg searches for her company's connection to the kidnapping and is willing to put everything on the line to get Amber back.

Share Post

One thing is for sure, Meg really loves her daughter. But I wonder though is the reason why Amber is taken is because of her company? Or is it personal, her affair with that man?

Share Post

Totally confusing. The hubs and I had to keep stopping it and bicker about whether the bad guy and the CIA director were the same guy. I hate it when people in a series look alike; I can never keep them straight. 

Share Post

Anytime Meg is in the episode, it is interesting to.

Did love Susie asking "Does your husband know you were screwing him?" Way to be subtle Susie.

Rachael is surely improving. Like I said before, next to Megan Boone of "The Blacklist" she looks like an amazing actress. Plus I have a warm spot for her after reading that she was an advocate against Domestic Violence and that she opened up about her experience and being a victim of such horrible problem in our society today especially amongst young people, 1 out of 5 high school girls is reported to being a victim of it.

And by the way, Gibson is a really sick man, Disgusting and I can't wait until he dies. And I hope he slowly and painfully!

Share Post

Totally confusing. The hubs and I had to keep stopping it and bicker about whether the bad guy and the CIA director were the same guy. I hate it when people in a series look alike; I can never keep them straight. 

Maybe next week Joel Gretsch will have to kill Colin Ferguson.

Share Post

I'm starting to hate this show, and really hope this fabled retooling that took place after this episode works wonders.  Because I can see why everyone signed on based on the pilot, but it's been a pretty steady downhill slide ever since.

This episode was convoluted as ever, and I'm tired of just about everyone being omnipotent.  And I'm beyond tired of Gibson; every time he gets on his high horse, I have the sense it's supposed to help me understand - and sympathize with - his motives, but it just makes me angry.  Terrorizing a group of teenagers and their parents - not to mention having his own daughter kidnapped and pimping out his wife - is just not an appropriate reaction, regardless of what he's seeking to expose.

And could it have been more telegraphed that the soldiers' doctor was in on it?  I'm so tired of the utter lack of suspense in a show that's supposed to be built on it. 

Now the kidnappers are facilitating petty adolescent drama (to be clear, that one boy's "OMG, Angel is a Centerfold" reaction to the revelation that the teacher fooled around with Amber is the petty part; statutory rape by an adult in a position of power is the opposite of petty).  To amuse themselves, or is that in Gibson's notebook, too?

Asking Amber what would her mom would say gives me the smallest sliver of hope the statutory rapist teacher won't be hand-waved away.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

It was designed to be a one-and-done, with only a tiny window left open for continuing storylines should it carry on for another season.  Thus far, they can't even keep a 13-episode series cohesive, so I'd really rather they just get that right and be done with it.

It is interesting that ratings went up a tenth for this episode, though, since I believe the show had been losing numbers with each previous episode. 

Up until this episode, one of the few people I was intrigued by was the woman taking care of all the communication hacking for Gibson, but now I've lost interest in her, too.  That's my fundamental problem with the show: I don't care about most of these people, good or bad.  Five episodes in, that's a problem.

Share Post

But we'll see the result of the halted production and rewrites from Rand next week.

It's true though, i don't see Gillian Anderson doing another season unless it's only 1 5 or 6 episode series like "The Fall".And it will keep her too far away from her two very young boys.

I was hoping that the woman helping Gibson will start to question his motives. The things he is doing is wrong and cruel no matter what they had done to him or how much he hates kids with money.

She must be a psycho herself. 

Edited by IndependentMind.

Share Post

Line of the night: "You're choking him! STOP KILLING HIM!"

Just absolutely fantastic.

It's moments like these that give me the clarity to truly understand why sometimes I simply refuse to quit watching a show I know damn well is too stupid to live.

Share Post

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be, but I think I can be forgiven for having my attention wander) but did they just let the two leads off the hook after their little patient stealing caper?  Cuz everyone has bigger things to worry about?  This strikes me as, well ludicrous.  Did it not occur to anyone that these guys might be in on it?  I know they're the leads and everything but their highly-illegal actions seem to have aided the conspirators - is there any chance that they would't find themselves cuffed to a desk somewhere?

Share Post

I thought the line of the night was "Don't yo me." Looks like a kidnapper is starting to entertain himself with snappy repartees!

Share Post

Up until this episode, one of the few people I was intrigued by was the woman taking care of all the communication hacking for Gibson, but now I've lost interest in her, too.  That's my fundamental problem with the show: I don't care about most of these people, good or bad.  Five episodes in, that's a problem.

Agreed. I was hoping by now they would have gone into a bit more background on Gibson's team so we could see what their motives are for helping him. I would hope that it's not just money given that some of them are ex-Special Forces and just having them all be hired mercenaries/tech experts would be just too typical and boring, though I think I've lost all hope for this show to actually be well-written, dynamic, unpredictable and/or actually interesting.

Edited by Rapunzel.

Share Post

I was hoping that the woman helping Gibson will start to question his motives.

<snip>

She must be a psycho herself.

~ ~ IndependentMind

I've been thinking she's doing so under duress.  She always seems to look at him with a bit of distain.

Share Post

I've been thinking she's doing so under duress.  She always seems to look at him with a bit of distain.

So in a room somewhere someone has her child with a gun to his/her head?  This risks infinite regress - who has that guy's child at gun point?  At some point somebody has to be doing this for money and I'd kinda like to know how Bad Hair Daddy is paying them.  Yeah, he got some money from Scully but that was later, after the (first or third, who knows) round of child kidnappings.  

Gah, this stupid show.

Share Post

Well, there doesn't necessarily have to be someone holding a gun to a kid's head. The kids could just be locked away. Maybe they are in water tanks with water dripping in slowly and if the job isn't done within a certain amount of time they drown (TM The Bridge). Max Martini is the muscle and he doesn't have kids. He seems to be doing it for the same reason McDermot is doing it, revenge of some sort. The guy with the floppy hair hair who I think we've only seen in a mask seems to just be a run of the mill psychopath.

Still, this show is boring as hell, even if the casting director apparently has the same taste in men that I do.

Share Post

Wouldn't it be cool if someday there was a show in which it is revealed that the subjects of a secret super soldier program just became better soldiers, and not either out of control beserkers or psychopathic tools of a fascist agenda.

Share Post